Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I've golfed off-and-on for years now, but this summer is the first time I've really made an effort to get out at least once a week and go to the range more often. I've been using some decade+ old hand-me-down irons, and they're starting to show their age. I could probably get them re-gripped, but I'd like to treat myself to a new Iron set.

What is a reasonable amount for someone shooting in the 90s on muni courses? I'd like something that I'm going to get years of use out of, but I obviously don't need anything tailored to someone who takes golf more seriously than a hobby. A local pro shop has a new set of steel Cobras, regular flex, 3H/4H/5-PW for $350. Am I stupid for considering buying that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

I apologize if questions like this come up a lot in this thread -- I scrolled back a few pages and couldn't find anything.

This summer, I'd like to take golf a little more seriously and really improve the consistency of my swing. For the last decade, I've played at most a dozen rounds of golf, most of them scrambles. I've never taken lessons or done anything to actually get better at the game. I took a couple of lessons at GolfTec, and I really liked the feedback that came from being able to watch my swing and the flight of the ball. I think it'd be really hopeful to have something at the driving range that would give me the same feedback. There's also a really short 9-hole muni course that's often completely empty, so I might be able to do the same thing if I get out there alone.

Can anyone recommend a good set up for a shot tracer with a tripod for an iPhone? Or is this a total waste of my time and money?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

MustardFacial posted:

Garmin Approach R10

That's one of the coolest gadgets I've ever seen. I don't think I can justify buying it while I'm still flat out terrible at golf but I definitely just found my dad's retirement present.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Does anyone have a recommendation for go-to drills to get rid of the yips?

Last week I had two of the best 9 I've ever played. Still haven't broken 40 but shot a 42 and a 44 back-to-back, which is huge for me. The 42 include a chip-in par save, an eagle putt that missed by about 6 inches, and the most consistent iron play I've had. Granted, these were at municipal courses with a slopes of 120 and 122

Yesterday I played a tougher course with a slope of 136, and the wheels fell off. The majority of drives were out of bounds, I started hooking all of my irons again, couldn't chip to save my life. Just a miserable round of golf.

I figured I'd spend some time today hitting some wedges and irons off the mat to build some confidence, and it totally backfired. All the swing thoughts that worked well a week ago are failing, and I was hitting everything fat and off the heel. Hell, I missed a few badly enough that I missed the entire net.

I've got my league tomorrow night and a work outing on Thursday -- at this point I just don't want to embarrass myself.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

What a wild collapse by Scheffler today. Just couldn’t get anything going. I can’t imagine the pain of blowing a six-stroke lead to the cost of about $12 million.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

gvibes posted:

I am trying to get back into the game and built a simulator in the garage.

Irons are coming around, but every drive has like a 8-10 degree inside out swing path and a 12-14 degree open face. All unplayable push fades basically.

This has been me all summer. I took a couple of lessons from a swing coach and I’m not swinging over the top anymore, so my swing path is almost always a few degrees out. I’m stoked about that! Every swing of my life prior to that was an over-the-top hack cutting across the ball.

But gently caress me, my face control has not gotten any better. For every draw I put out into the fairway, I have five shots that either start right and cut impossibly hard to the left, or start right and keep drifting farther right. Three weeks ago I found one of my balls in a green side bunker two holes away lmao.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Our group’s usual thought is that if you reasonably think the ball is just off the fairway or in a playable area, let’s take a minute or two to try to find it. If it’s in the woods or fescue or whatever, just let it go and take a drop.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

And despite Mallon’s terrible Twitter handle, the guy knows his stuff. Before retiring, he was one of the foremost orthopaedic sports surgeons in the country…a career that he started after a brief stint on the PGA tour.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

I signed up for lessons at GolfTec with the goal of going at least once a week for two months. Initial evaluation showed what seems to be every single one of the beginner golfers’ mistakes. Over-the-top outside-in swing, early extension, poor wrist hinge, hands behind the ball at impact, trail elbow bent and away from the body, etc.

After about 6 weeks, I see a lot of improvement in my swing when I’m at the simulator. Everything seems to be more consistent, and I’m hitting my irons straighter and farther. I’m getting better at swinging in-to-out; the thing that seemed to help the most was understanding what my wrists should be doing. Before the lessons, I was extending my trial wrist instead of giving it radial deviation…it became immediately easier to rotate without losing the swing plane.

I’m still really struggling to get my hands in front of the ball — every time I try to “bump” my hips toward the target, my shoulders follow along and I hit the ball super thin. Every time I tilt my shoulders properly, my hips don’t move, and I end up in early extension. I can’t find a drill that makes it click.

Before:
https://imgur.com/a/Zr4W4vo

After:
https://imgur.com/a/bjIY0Af

So far this has translated to absolutely gently caress all on the course. Half of my drives are unplayable, my short game is terrible, and while most of my approach shots are pin high, they’re usually 15 yards left or right depending on how I’ve chosen to gently caress up the shot. Just have to keep at it, I guess.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

My issue with YouTube lessons is that everything makes perfect sense, and then the drills never seem to work because I get no feedback to correct the drill. I’ve done that exact same drill described at the end of that video. Twenty attempts later and every swing resulted in a straight left hook because I cannot figure out to take tension out of my arms without losing control of my arms.

The new exciting thing I’m doing is trying to shift my weight and catastrophically loving up. What the gently caress is my left leg/foot doing!? I want to shift my hips toward the target and instead I’m just…trying to break my ankle? I can’t find any good drills to stop this habit, and my instructor doesn’t seem to know either.

https://imgur.com/a/SfgBzOp

The problem is also that despite how horrible that looks, the result of that awful swing was a 145 yard 9iron with a slight fade, just off the target. And I’m “somewhat” consistent with that. But the misses are brutal shanks off the heel.

Here’s the end of my lesson today where I tried desperately to not roll my heel.

https://imgur.com/a/Dk4Glgz

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/jameshesky/status/1666112128703406081?s=46&t=G6CJ0SXAYnboFhRP-mw0TA

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Dango Bango posted:

Denny McCarthy is currently -8 thru 12 today. :stare:

Scott just ripped off 5 straight birdies and is 9 under after 15.

If not for a bogey on the 7th, he’d have a real chance for a 58.

Still a good chance for a 60!

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Scott just blew it into the water on the 17th. Bummer.

Edit: and McCarthy left his birdie putt short by about 6 inches. No sub 60s today.

Double edit: omg he almost eagled his last for a 59. Missed it by a whisker. So close to a historic round.

Aggro fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 22, 2023

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

All of my drives go 300 yards, just most of them are 225 forward and then 75 yards right

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Man, if Zach Johnson just wants 8 guys to go to Rome and play like absolute dog poo poo, my friends and I are free. Koepka and Scheffler losing 9 & 7 is wild.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

xsf421 posted:

Southeast Michigan has an insane number of public courses. Last time I counted I think I had something like 25 courses within a 30 minute drive. It's still hard to get prime weekend round times, but if you're willing to play not between 9am-1pm on Saturday/Sunday you can get in somewhere.

edit: this is my "home course" https://lakeforestgc.com/, it's $26 to walk on a weekday with my $175 discount card membership.

Living in SE Michigan is amazing. I have absolutely no excuse to be so bad at golf. I had also looked into joining Red Run or Plum Hollow as a private club, since there's a huge discount for joining while under 35. It's still $15000 as an initiation fee followed by around $1500/month...but then my wife and I had our first kid and lol I can't justify that now

I'm paying a monthly membership for Five Iron Detroit which is a 20-bay Trackman simulator. From 6AM to 4PM I can hit as many balls as I want, which I've taken advantage of on the days where I work downtown. They also have a Monday night league that starts after the kid goes to bed, so that's given me a reason to play at least once a week.

The goal for this winter is to actually practice and make some progress. Turns out that golfing 4-5 times a summer and then curling all winter doesn't do much for improvement.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

So, I'm still a terrible golfer with an inconsistent swing, but I've been working with a coach once a week and getting Trackman data, which has definitely helped. I struggle with all the common bullshit amateur golfer moves -- over-the-top path, early extension, hips rotating too fast, not shifting my weight early enough, etc. We've tried a bunch of drills that have all helped, but last week, he suggested the Pump Drill. The idea is to create an exaggerated feel, and then use that in my actual swing.

But the ridiculous thing is that I am consistently puring my irons when double pumping and then swinging. It looks awful and embarrassing, but I hit 15 solid 9-irons all close to my target distance and with maybe 10 yards of dispersion. Like, I don't lose any distance at all with the jankiest, stupidest looking swing motion. And when I try to incorporate the feeling into my normal swing, all the bad habits are still there.

I'm obviously going to keep working at it, but I've laughed a lot at the idea of playing in a league next year and double-pumping all of my shots while sticking darts onto the green.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

After months of lessons I finally felt like it would be worthwhile to get a club fitting. After hitting hundreds of balls over the course 90 minutes, I had to decide between Mizuno JPX 923 and Ping i525. All the numbers were essentially identical, so I went with the Pings because they had a bigger discount. Got a 4-PW, a 50°, and a 56° for $1250.

I’ve never felt more like a real golfer than after finding the right club-shaft combination and hitting 10 flushed draws all within a 10 yard circle. My decade-old Adams 7 iron usually carries around 150. I was carrying 165-170 today with a few hooks but ZERO shots of the hosel, which is the miss I’ve been desperately working to get rid of.

I’m very excited to suck a little less. And more importantly, swing some good looking clubs while I suck.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Alright, before I splurge on more lessons, I figure I oughta ask the goon hive mind.

If I'm diagnosing my own issue correctly, it's that my hips are moving toward the ball as I initiate my downswing, when I should be pulling my left hip back. But, I cannot loving figure out how to pull my hip back without extending / standing up. So far with this swing, I've eliminated my disgusting heel shank, but I've replaced that with the occasional duck hook into the woods. When it all comes together though, I hit nice little fades like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiC9VfHZ5to

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Hay goon golfers,

I've been pretty consistent with hitting balls at least twice a week, and I'm definitely seeing some good things. I have definitely improved my ability to shallow the club and not swing over-the-top, and my contact is far more consistent than it used to be. However, I'm still really struggling to shift weight to my left hip, and more than anything, I still cannot get my lead hip to move back instead of extending.

Here's an 8 iron and a 3 wood from last week:

8 Iron

3 Wood

If anyone has some good drills they'd recommend, I'm all for it. There's an outrageous amount of content online but I've found it helpful to pick a specific aspect of the swing to focus on each week or so.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

iNteg posted:

that would be sick, ill shoot you a PM and we'll talk for sure. I need more local golf friends, all of mine live up in Rochester Hills/Oxford etc etc.

Warren Valley near me had a black friday deal last year that was unlimited golf/cart for 1500 bucks, and i was tempted because they rehabbed the west course i think, and they'll have 36 holes going hopefully this year.

xsf421 posted:

Definitely. I live in western Ann Arbor, but I grew up near Pontiac and know how hard it is to get anywhere up there. I can also get us into the UofM golf course for staff rates ($79/cart on weekends) if you'd like to give that a go. https://umgolfcourse.umich.edu/

Hey Michigoons!

I’m in Ferndale. My home course is Rackham in Huntington Woods. PM me! All of my playing partners now have multiple kids so it’s hard to get out. I’m a big fan of grabbing the first tee time and getting home before 10:30.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

The Garmin Approach is very good and reasonably priced.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

I had never heard of “RCT” balls. Does it actually make a difference? I seem to get pretty consistent measurements just hitting buckets of random Callaways from a bulk purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

I’ve been playing on the TrackMan simulator at least once a week since November, taking lessons, watching videos, practicing some feels at home. Y’know, doing everything you’re supposed to do. I’m routinely shooting in between 38 and 45 on the sim, hitting fairways and greens pretty regularly.

Played my first round outside today. It’s like I’ve never swung a golf club in my life. Driver slicing everywhere. Chunking irons. Thinning chips. Just absolute loving trash. My league starts next Thursday, and I’m so disheartened.