Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Kameh posted:

Y'all.

https://instagram.com/_paige.renee/

I have many impure thoughts. At least one of them is jealousy. What a solid swing.

:drat: I'll be patiently waiting for instagram updates from her. :stwoon:

EnsGDT posted:

Good lord.

Maybe they were just big Game of Thrones fans?

Nice...

I don't walk this time of year in North Carolina either, it's 100 degrees almost daily even riding a cart is horrible some days. Just a gross hot breeze. Walking is for early spring and fall here which is oddly when most people play golf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
After playing back and forth with ProV1's and Taylormade TP's I've pretty much decided I find next no difference in distance, control, flight, putting etc. Henceforth I shall be using all Taylormade TP balls since they are cheaper.

Edit: and I just got 5 dozen for cheap :D

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 27, 2015

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Ribsauce posted:

hah we haven't been able to play a round where it has been below 90 in 2 months in North Carolina. Last Friday was the coolest in a long time (91 at 3pm, down to the upper 80s when we were done).

I feel your pain. I live in Charlotte and every time I've played for the last 2 months it's been 90-105 degrees. Course is still packed every drat time though.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
How about Twoods going -5 under today and being 1 off the lead!

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So, I am off to Oak Island next week. Currently have a tee time setup at Oak Island GC, but I am looking at playing Carolina National one of those days too. Anyone played there? Is like 20 minutes from the beach house I am staying at and seems pretty cheap.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Back from the beach finally if anyone itt ever goes to Oak Island, Wilmington etc. go check out Oak Island Golf Club it was a really nice course in great condition. A little difficult thanks to some wind and greens being super quick, also it was humid as hell and that doesn't ever help. Shot an 83 though which is good for me and my current game. I also would recommend Carolina National as a much visit, it was incredibly cheap ($55 dollars for 27 holes and free lunch) it's a Freddie Couples designed course and was very challenging while only playing about 3400y per 9, solid mix on inland and water holes as it runs along side the lockwood-folly river, some holes reminded me a lot of courses I play in Kiawah while others were their own beast where the only thing in your way from tee-to-green was 500 yards and a giant oak tree in the middle of the fairway. Ended up shooting an 85 though, greens were almost perfect for my putting style and I made some pretty clutch pars and even a couple birdies while also carding a few doubles.

Then for fun on Friday we played some local par3 course because the people I was with wanted more golf, course was under slight repair and actually looked like it might have been a normal 9 hole course that was converted to a 18 hole par3. Par was 56 and I shot a 52. Most of the holes were 90-100 yards with one being 130. So I basically used my 56 degree wedge 98% of the time and my pitching wedge once. These just happen to be my best clubs so it was rather easy to go 18 holes doing the same thing every time. Probably wouldn't recommend it, but if you want something quick and cheap it's not bad I guess. It was only $14 bucks and took about maybe an hour and a half.

Then yesterday, when I got back to Charlotte I decided to play 18 at a course I'd never played before with 2 guys I'd never played with before. Both of them said they were 'alright' when we'd previously talked golf stuff. One of them ended up shooting a 105 which was probably more like a 130 as we stopped counting mulligans and such pretty quick. The other guy completely dominated me shooting a -1, 70. Later he said he had played a lot of junior golf tournament stuff, gave golf lessons during the summer while he was in highschool and college and is currently the only non-pga pro teacher at some local country club, but he doesn't play much since he's in school getting his masters. On the bright side, and the highlight of the golf year so far I broke 80 with a 78! I was on fire tee to green saved par like never before. My only hiccups came from losing a ball into a water hazard that wasn't visible from the tee and no one knew was there and then a couple par putts I missed by less than an inch. Course was pretty awesome, not super tough layout, but the greens were incredible fast. Fairways were pretty hard and dry so the ball rolled forever, the guy that beat me easily had a 360 yard drive with about 70 of that being roll out.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Ribsauce posted:

We're going Sunday. I've never gone to a tournament. I hope Tiger is near the lead mostly because I feel like the atmosphere will be a lot more exciting.

The Wyndham is always pretty fun crowd wise, it's been sometime since I went though, Greensboro is like an hour and half from me so it's not really worth the drive. I like going a mile down the road and jumping on a bus to go to the Wells Fargo.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Kameh posted:

There isn't much of an off-season in Texas, but since I won't be playing but a few times a month, I wouldn't mind starting some sort of "get stronger, hit ball farther" routine in the gym. It's gotta be some sort of blend of weights and yoga, right?

I don't specifically train for golf in the gym, but I do incorporate some exercises that aid my game. My swing speed has gone up considerably since I began doing small accessory work geared toward golf. Flexibility and mobility are huge too, but most of the poo poo I do is for more swing speed, power and control. I also do some light TRX bodyweight stuff for flexibility and joints etc. For reference my swing speed average has increased 5mph over the last year up to 120mph having the muscle memory and strength in small muscle in your shoulder, obliques etc really aid in keeping faster swing in line for solid contact.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 25, 2015

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Giant Goober posted:

Oh dear, I had my first telling off for not meeting the dress code. Turns out my socks weren't white or plain enough. Thankfully the guest pack the course hands out contains white ankle socks so crisis averted. I guess if they are handing out socks to guests I can't be the first to have gotten it wrong. Should have just worn pants and it wouldn't have been a problem :(

I've never heard someone get called on their socks before, what type of socks were these? I've also never seen someone wear cargo shorts golfing which I also find mildly ridiculous unless they're dri-fit or something. I have a friend that doesn't golf much so he wears all cotton stuff i.e. normal polo shirts and khaki shorts, in 100 degrees. He sweats through both in like the first 10 minutes.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Giant Goober posted:

The white socks are the socks they gave me, the other socks are what I'd normally wear. Ricky Fowler orange laces probably didn't help. It was at one of the top courses in Australia and I should have known better and bothered to check the dress regulations.

Shorts are fantastic for golf especially paired with boxers and a good breeze, keeps everything cool.

This is really confusing and I think whoever was working the course that day was trying to be a dick.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

He wasn't distractingly bad, though he did have a terrible short game. He hit his Ping G25 driver pretty well though. He also didn't ask "Have you been introduced to the Bible?" until the 17th green.

The Bulldog tees played every bit of par 71, 7258 yds since it was wet/there isn't much elevation change/I hit like 5 fairways. The first two holes, par 4's into the wind, I hit decent tee shots and still had 4 irons in. Shot +4 on the first 5 holes then even the rest of the way, but it was all pars, including the 3 par 5's :colbert:.

Despite the rating being 75.1, the slope is only 139, which makes sense because the course is so straightforward. There's basically no strategy: just pound your driver without being too far offline and hit decent tee shots on the par 3's. I was told "the greens are tricky" and "have a lot of undulation", but they were standard multi-tier bentgrass greens - nothing interesting, except for holes 9/18 sharing a split green like at St. Andrews.

Maybe I'm just being nostalgic, but I much preferred UNC and Duke's courses, with Duke a substantial favorite. I don't know how this ended up ranked #9 on Golfweek's best college courses when Duke is #15 and UNC was outside the top 30.

edit: I've played 5 times in the last 10 days, a pace I absolutely cannot (afford to) keep up, so it's probably back to shooting 80 once I return to playing once/month.

I hear Clemson's course is pretty bad rear end, not sure where that ranks though.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

You owe me a round. :colbert:

Actually, it wasn't the worst course conditions I've ever played, but I would be embarrassed if I brought a friend. I got stuck behind some horrible foursomes, so a 3.5 hour round felt more like 5.

It was gusting to 20 mph and the fairways were pretty barren so the 7106 yds played much shorter. I didn't have more than 7 iron into any of the par 4s and all the par 5s were reachable. Here's one of the nicer looking holes:

The greens were utter garbage, on average 25% completely dead, but they cut the holes in spots where there was still grass so I didn't have trouble putting near the holes. The internet says they're Bermuda, which would have been fine; the Internet lied.

Here's a 225 yd par 3 that drops off a cliff. I hit a punch 3 iron into a stiff breeze and still came up short:

Ended up shooting 37-35. I won't be going back, even if the course were in pristine condition, if for no other reason than there are similar tracks much closer.

Based on those two pictures and not looking at the link to see the location I thought for sure this was a course in Tega Cay, SC that I used to play until it turned to poo poo. The two holes pictured could literally be the exact holes from this course.

Haven't played a round in 2 months now. Life really sucks. I've been so busy on weekends that I can't ever seem to get out. This past saturday I would have been playing, but then I was reminded that I had a wedding to go to 3hrs away so I couldn't play. Good thing there was free booze or I would have been really pissed about it.

Edit: And to make it worse, my last round out I shot a 78 on a new-to-me course @ 7200+ yards and I haven't been able to go out and back that score up to see if it was just a fluke.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 19, 2015

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
To be fair 20 years ago there wasn't Dri-fit material like golf shirts today so you'd have to wear a much larger shirt since it was mostly cotton/polyester to even have a chance as swinging properly while sweating your rear end off. I can't be the only guy that played high school golf that remembers shirts literally just sticking to your arms and loving up your back swing.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

mattfl posted:

Can we talk Masters tickets for a sec? I'd really love to take my dad next year, even if it's for one of the practice rounds. I entered the drawing and whatnot but for like the 5th straight year wasn't chosen. What's the best way to get 2 tickets and am I going to spend an arm and a leg? It's about a 5 hour drive for me so I figured me and dad could drive up the day before, catch a day of the tournament and maybe hit up one of the other local courses in the area the next day.

Best way to get tickets would be craigslist or ticket master for people selling practice round tickets. You're going to spend a poo poo load of money though. Sometimes you can get lucky and pay someone for a ticket share where they might want to go in the morning and then when they come out, they give you the tickets for the afternoon. Still going to cost a lot. That said, definitely go to a practice round. It's a much more fun environment all around. I am hoping to score some tickets next year for the Par3, but I am not getting my hopes up. I pretty much have Monday practice round tickets locked though. A friends Dad lives in Augusta about 1/2 mile from the course and has had tickets forever, but he's like too old to walk around so he gives the tickets to his son, who then bring people as long as they buy him drinks..

First round in two months went down on Saturday. Shot a solid 80 with a few ridiculous holes. Highlights eagled the first par5. Pretty much an uphill snake layout of a hole goes right then back left to the green. Smashed a drive around 310y and then had a nice easy 175 to the hole with a 7 iron, entire green funneled to the hole, ended up about 4ft. Straight in putt. Then I birdied the next par5 that was 560y and went over water twice. Hit a decent drive but it left me about 240 from the front edge and I had to carry water again. So I laid up with an 9 iron to the end of the fair way, then threw a dart at the pin with my 56 degree wedge from about 90 yards. Missed landing directly in the hole by about 2 inches then had a easy 2' downhill putt for bird.

Par3's caused a lot of headaches and I had a couple blow up par4's after a poor drive into some wooded area, trying to punch out missed every tree but the last one before I was home free, back down the fairway 40 yards with no clear shot at the green, tried to bubba hook that fucker, landed in a creek I didn't see. Just stupid hole both in general the way I played it.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 26, 2015

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So I got back from a work trip in Charleston last night. Played a few rounds in Kiawah over the last couple days..played pretty good too, was looking forward to playing on Sunday morning as well.

No such luck though, someone broke into my car last night and stole my golf clubs. Humans really are the scum of the earth. Funnily enough they went through all my poo poo throwing it everywhere in the car and didn't even steal a 200 dollar pair of bluetooth headphones I had in there which was the only other thing of value in my car.

Time to get new clubs, right guys? :argh:

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

mattfl posted:

Holy gently caress that sucks man :(

But yeah, time for some custom fitted clubs :)

But they were custom fitted and I just got them 2 months ago :(

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I already called a few of the local used golf type stores around that buy clubs and such and I've been checking craigslist all day. Insurance deductible for stolen property for both my home and auto isn't worth paying to get them replaced, might as well just have the shop make me a new set. The closest pawn shop to me is like 10 miles away, so i could check there in a few days I guess. Police don't give a poo poo though, I called this morning and they said an officer would be out to get a statement etc in the next few hours so I said never mind because I had to go to work and they wouldn't do anything but have it on record if I decided to file an insurance claim for them anyway.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Honestly, if the dude hadn't left my trunk wide open after the theft I probably wouldn't have known they were gone until I got to the course on Sunday. My gf's 4yo daughter said I should just ask Santa for some new ones for christmas because they are expensive and he can help... :D

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

You know what you must do...

mmmmm

I was thinking MP-15's - My initial thought was MP-5's but decided I didn't want to hate golf or myself. Edit: I am however thinking a 915 driver. I was still using an R1, but the newer drivers from Tmade haven't quite felt as good to me. All said and done I am probably going to be shelling out near 2000 to replace my clubs. Luckily it wasn't in prime season or anything and my guess is I am not going to be able to get in a round locally any time soon thanks to all this lovely weather.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 9, 2015

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Word on the street is Santa clause may in fact be bringing me some new clubs... specifically Mizuno MP-15's w/ KBS Tour 105 X-Stiff shafts and Golfpride MCC Plus4 grips in red/black - However such a special case order as this may mean delivery after christmas. Now to decide on driver and putter. I am 100% getting the same taylormade wedges I played before probably a 56 and 60, before I only had a 56

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

cheese posted:

Does anyone else put like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITRaVI6lDPE, where he advocates finding a dominant arm and using the shoulder of that arm to create a fulcrum? Basically it is an arm only swing. Thoughts?

A lot of people putt like that. You shouldn't be rotating your shoulders or upper body while putting anyway, it's all arm swing. You'll see tons of pros (look at Jordan Speith) warm up with several 1 arm putts with both hands before they move into 2 hand grips.

My right arm is dominant so I putt right hand low with an extended index finger down the shaft to help me control angle better I average 1.6pph which isn't fabulous, but I am also not a pro.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

cheese posted:

Thanks for the advice.

I've been to the range every day this week and I feel like I'm getting better pretty rapidly, but the one area I'm still struggling in is my lower body. I feel like I'm getting conflicting information about where to put my weight and how to shift it. As I understand it, I want to start with weight pretty evenly distributed on the balls of my feet. As the backswing progresses, I put more of my weight on my right side, and then I start the downswing by shifting that weight onto my left leg?

Essentially. A proper golf swing is really tough to accomplish. Too many variables that have to all line up. For me when I take practice swings, say with a 5 iron. I line up with the club face in the middle of my stance slightly pressed forward. I'll do a slow back swing to feel the weigh shift to my right foot and try to be aware of where my arms and elbows are. Then I forcibly unload weight to my left foot while exaggerating hip turn. Forcibly in the sense that after my swing you'd see a footprint from my left foot as I drive the weight over and down through impact. I've never really had issues with my swing in general, my biggest issue is consistency in closing the club face. The last coach I had in high school though it was because I had too much power with longer clubs. Which is pretty evident because I am laser accurate with 56 thru 8 iron so much so that I practice driving more than anything so I tend to end up with Driver > Wedge on most par4's

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

I want to play tomorrow, it's supposed to be 67*F and partly cloudy, but we've had 4 inches of rain in the last week.

I feel your pain here in Charlotte, even though I haven't gotten my new clubs yet. Nice little track I play rents nice Mizuno clubs though. Here's hoping Thursday afternoon ends up being nice. Anything above 50 degrees and not raining would be awesome.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
My only goal for 2016 is to not backtrack now that I am playing with new sticks. STRETCH GOAL would be to buy no more than 4 dozen balls and have at least 1 of them left at the end of the year. Given my number of rounds last year was 43, if I keep the same balls for an entire round and only lose a hand full I should be OK (I only purchased 62 balls total last year a 50 ball bucket of TMade TP Reds and a dozen ProV1's..until my poo poo got stolen the week before thanksgiving I still had ~20 balls in the bucket.) Doubt I'll get in 43 rounds this year though unless I can come up with $10,000 in the next month to rejoin TPC Piper Glen while their new member special is going. That's the initiation fee, rounds would cost me 45 dollars each 95 for guests and they did away with clubhouse monthly minimum poo poo.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 6, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
That's pretty awesome. You're right though, if some kid aced the first hole, in the first round ever on the course, as the first person to open the round up I'd seriously rethink something. Although it looked like the green slopped right into the hole as long as you got it close enough.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

quote:

Here is hoping nothing stupid happens this week because I am going to get new clubs before the weekend is over come hell or high water!

***UPDATE***

Picked up a 2016 Ogio Silencer cart bag for a steal on Saturday. Then on Sunday while browsing a local store and hitting every iron in sight I was offered a pretty awesome deal I couldn't pass up. Ended up getting a set of Taylormade Rsi TP irons 3-PW, brand new, for $400 bucks. I almost bought these clubs last fall, then changed my mind because at the time I didn't need new clubs. Up until then I was actually considering biting the bullet and buying the 2016 Apex Pro's. The Apex is slightly more bladey, but they both felt very similar off the face and the taylormades had about 5 yards more carry average which put them at the distance I normally would hit a 6 iron (190ish) with my old clubs. Now I just need a driver, putter, couple wedges and a 3 wood to round out the set ><.

Also, if it wasn't already apparent. Don't ever buy clubs from Golf Galaxy. They had that Nike Vapor Fly driver priced at $399 and it wasn't even the PRO version. Not to mention they were selling a set of used R9 irons for 900 dollars.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 4, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

mattfl posted:

Ack, should have a taken a pic of the bottom of it. It's the Pro.

I should have known anyway since the face is black etc.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Masters on the range coverage now LIVE- Happy Master's week!

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Shrapnig posted:

They're both unlikable cunts.

Rory Sabbatini is the biggest one I've met personally. I have zero off the course interaction with Phil or Bubba. I shook both their hands at a practice round for the Wells Fargo Championship once and they were nice enough to me... Rory though...dude can't handle his liquor...

If I were out on the course week in and week out with 1000's of fans yelling my name for autographs while I was trying to win or not gently caress up my next shot I would probably be an rear end in a top hat too. Hell I am usually an rear end in a top hat to rangers that stop their cart on the cart path, in my line of sight and wait my group to hit.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So those Tmade Rsi TP's I bought come in tomorrow. They shipped direct from the Tmade factory in Cali, for some reason for what I paid for them I half expected them to come from China.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Must buy putter and at least a 54* wedge this week so I can go play golf again, finally. Getting those irons gave me the mother of all itches to play and I just a couple clubs short of a full bag!

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Shrapnig posted:

I just posted this in the Masters thread but Rock Bottom is doing 20% off right now sitewide. Coupon code TheMasters

Yeah, I noticed the discount like 5 minutes after my post and there goes 300 bucks :|

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

What did you even buy? :psyduck:

Bunch of golf shirts... Also ATV wedges like the ones I had before that got stolen which after the discount were only 5 dollars more than some slightly used ones I was eyeballing so it worked out pretty good. I'll probably pick up a putter locally ya know so I can try em out a bit. I already know I like the wedges

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

daslog posted:

I hit the driving range last night. First time since my knee surgery last October. It wasn't pretty...

Nothing is ever pretty on the range after several months not swinging a club. Generally you get quick out of tempo swings, you shank the ball and you get into "what the F is happening" mind set that just progressively makes it worse. In fact, the range is probably one of my favorite places after the short carolina winter because I like hearing other golfers wondering what happened to their "game" in such a short period of time and the occasional guy (like my father) that consistently tops the ball with a 3 wood and yells at himself (Jesus Christ, MIKE! What are you doing!?") It's probably the most fun part of golf short of making a birdie.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
2 Questions..

1. Does anyone know where RockBottomGolf.com items ship from? I placed an order before 2PM yesterday, their site says it should have shipped out the same day. Still no info on shipping though.
2. If I purchased an item from them and said items drops $20 dollars in price before it is even delivered will they refund the difference to me or am I sol?

Edit: scratch #1 looks like it ships from somewhere near me either in NC, Virgina, SC since I am 1 day transit no matter what shipping method I choose. Now if only my stuff would ship!

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 12, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

mattfl posted:

Soooo here's a big post.

So last week we went up to Tennessee to visit my dad for his birthday. He lives just outside of Pigeon Forge so the closest golf course to him was Gatlinburg Golf course. The high that day was going to be around 65 or so, a little chilly but the sun was out all day and it wound up being a perfect day for golf.

For having never played the course, and having never really played what I'll call mountain golf I shot a pretty decent round.

Some huge huge elevation changes and hills. Hole 12 which is a 194 yard par 3 was probably close to 50 yards above the green played to 160 yards, an easy 8 iron put me hole high just off the side of the green.

Here's an album of all the holes on the course, I should probably go back and enter a description so you know which hole is which, but, effort lol

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattfl/albums/72157664816368643

You can see in the one pic my dad pointing down to the green, that's the par3 I mentioned above, and then a few pics before him pointing up to it, you can kind of see some bricks at the top, there are 3 levels of bricks for each tee box, we played the blues so you can't even see our tee. All in all a pretty awesome course and it wasn't in that bad of shape for being April with the temps still reaching the low 20s at night. Definitely a whole lot different than Florida golf that's for sure. Picture 39 is a pic of the first hole, and you tee of well above the fairway, you can see the sand trap and the end of the fairway in the picture, it's about 300 to reach the end/sand and I managed to hit a pretty nice drive right to the left of the sand. So, can't wait to go back and visit dad again play this course again in the summer, now that I know the course layout a little better I think I can put together a little better round.

Did anyone else enter the giveaway TaylorMade was having?

http://taylormadegolf.com/experienceM2irons.html

So I got home from vacation and there was a box containing one of these guys waiting for me.

Not that I'm looking for new clubs, but I'll give this guy a few swings and see how they play. I guess I get to keep it as there was no return label or anything, so yay free club?

Also got this guy in the mail too

While I don't have a Scotty putter, this looks pretty awesome in my bag. So, that's been my adventures for the past week or so. Back to work and back to mostly flat Florida golf!

"Mountain golf" is pretty fun. When I was growing up in Maine we used to play in the mountains a lot. I can't remember the name of the course, it was in some poo poo town like Denmark, ME, but there was a par5 that literally went down hill at a ridiculous grade and the tee box was on top of a cliff with no safety guard behind it. My step father was setting up for him shot and an eagle came flying right by our faces, it was pretty crazy. That, plus looking off the back of the tee box to like a 200ft drop was pretty intense.

I entered that free 6 iron thing as well, but never got an email or anything about winning and I haven't gotten anything delivered. Pretty sure you get to keep it though it was a giveaway contest and they had like a bunch of them they were giving out..

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
12:25PM - UPS man arrives with my RBG stuff, thanks UPS man.

12:33PM - RBG sends me an updated email telling me my order has shipped.

Packaging was fun. They basically put the wedges in and then jammed all the shirts I got in there to support them. A+ would buy again.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Man I knew these Rsi TP irons were long having hit just the 6 iron on a simulator, but they are kinda ridiculous. Just finished up a range session over my lunch break and I had to laser verify the same target 5 times and get a second opinion because I was hitting the 5 iron 225 all said and done. Also, I haven't used an actual 3 iron since I was like 13, and my previous set I used a hybrid 3...well I hit a few shots with the 3 iron that came with my set and it's easily going 250 off the dirt which is kind of retarded, for reference that 3H I had was my go to 220-230 club.

weirdly enough my 9,8,7,6 irons are all about where I would expect them at 150/165/180/195 then boom, a huge gap in distance. Clubs feel awesome though, and after 70 balls I only had a few toe hits. Other than that it was 50/50 between low-center and middle-face which is pretty good considering I haven't swung a club at balls that much since middle of November.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
First round in the books with my new irons...didn't go terrible. Not having a driver (yet) is kind of an issue as I resorted to hitting a 3 iron off the tee most of the time. There was a long rear end par5 where I asked a dude I was playing with if I could use his driver and he let me. All in all it's about what I expected from the first round in 4 1/2 months and using new irons. Several shots hit fat, club distances misjudged and a lot of 3 putts. Ended up buying a Nike Method Matter putter because it felt pretty good in-store, but overall it's going to take a lot of practice to get used to. Having used an Odyssey 2ball for years it's just a different animal, the ball bounces off the face and feels exceptionally soft in comparison. Weighting is similar, but putts where I would have had to put in some effort in 20-30ft etc. before needed very little help so I found myself blazing by the hole almost every time. Ended up shooting a 92 which is my worst round in a couple season now.

In general though most of my iron shots, while short or long all were pretty decent. Most of my issues were 80-110 yards and making dumb mistakes like decelerating. I was 13 over on the front and only 7 over on the back which is arguably harder. Course was playing 6600 / 142 slope

Furnaceface posted:

I was hitting those (the Vapor Fly drivers) on Friday at the practice simulator and again yesterday at the driving range thanks to it being a demo day and I really liked it. The Fly and Fly Pro were both really easy to swing and had decent forgiveness even for a 24 handicap player like me while adding significant distance over all the other drivers I tried. That said, it was also expensive as hell so at $240 (they were $410 new + wrench here :canada:) its a pretty good steal for a pretty good club. For what its worth, I ended up buying the Vapor Speed which I was hitting only 5 yards less and it was significantly cheaper ($219 Canadian Funbux) but its something I would highly recommend spending some time hitting before deciding. The 915 was the last one I hit and by then I had already decided on the Vapor so I probably didnt give it the Full Furnaceface Test.

If its the Vapor Flex 440 cross your fingers at it and back away slowly. I did not like that one at all (its the black and green one).

$240 is like the ebay, no bullshit price you'll come across for them. In store they are $350 (non-pro) $399(Pro) which is outrageous :D

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Wells Fargo Championship week here in the QC! Looks like rain is going to let up just in time to dry out the course. Will be out there Friday and Saturday watching dudes hit their balls.