Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
-10 with a par putt on 12, finished at even par.

Horrific collapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
If a putt finishes behind the hole, then the person most likely hit the putt a little too hard for the amount of break they played.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Shrapnig posted:

Check out the Srixon Q-Star and Q-Star Tour, they're around the same price as the Velocity. The Q-Star Tour is the ball that claims to spin more around the greens while still being a "distance" ball.

Probably late to this discussion, but I highly recommend any of the Srixon line of balls. They're all premium and routinely $10 cheaper than competitors. Kirkland blows everything else out of the water in terms of performance vs price, but Srixon is easily 2nd best.

You can get 2 dozen Z Star for about $60 from Academy/DSG. Q-Star Tours aren't quite as long, but they're even cheaper and a solid ball.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I'm mainly in the anti-LIV camp due to the funding source, but even if it were private equity like the PGL wants to be, the shotgun start doesn't help keep my interest at all. At the very least, they need to reshuffle the groups so the leaders go off 1A and 1B or something on the final day. As stated above, not every hole is the same, so being one back with three holes of play can mean you're toast if they are the hardest holes on the course, or it could mean that you stand a good chance to take the lead if they are scoreable.

Multimillionaires getting richer doesn't really do anything for me, and if I have less of an idea of how competitive the tournament really is, then I'm not going to watch it long-term.

I find the discussion of the majors interesting. LIV is not going to (nor are they trying to) turn a profit at all, so unless the PGA Tour restructures itself, they're going to lose more and more top players to the ridiculous purses of the LIV unless the majors start banning them from entry. I know the majors are separate entities, but the PGA of America has indicated that they are not allowing LIV players to participate in the PGA championship or the Ryder Cup, and there are rumors that the Masters is waiting to announce a ban on LIV participants, past champions or no.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
The Saudis have a plan to become the next Dubai. Vision 2030, I think it's called. They're gonna dump $600 BILLION into poo poo exactly like this, all so people view them in a favorable light and continue trade.

This league will not be profitable. But they'll make sure it's not a COMPLETE joke.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
In a 48 man, shotgun start tournament, there were only 24 stalls at the driving range lol.

Let's hope they do better in Portland.

Went to the hometown goat track this afternoon.

I was shamed into walking instead of taking a cart, so I was absolutely gassed by the end. We had to play some holes out of order to skip a set of slower seniors

Holes 1-10, then 14-17, then 11-13, then 18.

Best score I've shot in a long time. LIV will probably call soon. AMA.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Daric posted:

He’s also president of the PAC so that probably has something to do with it

He said on Monday something to the effect of, "I don't work for the PGA Tour; they work for me." He represents all players, so yes.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Re: ARCCOS - I've used them on and off for 2 years. When I quit the first time (about a year ago), they were HORRIBLE on Android. Like, so incredibly inefficient that they would drain my phone battery by hole 12. My buddies with iPhones would maybe lose 30-40% for the entire round.

I switched to Golfpad (@Josh Lyman) which are true NFC tags. They don't wreck battery life, and they have a neat shot overlay when you play with a buddy who also uses the system (very similar to ShotTracker on the PGA Tour), along with standard GPS features (front, middle, back, pin, "plays like" after accounting for weather and wind). I think it's a yearly subscription ($20?).

The only drawback is that you must have your phone in your pocket, and you have to physically tap the sensor (on the butt of your grip) to your phone to track the shot. For people who are used to pressing a button on some gadget to do this, it's no big deal. Going from Arccos where it used accelerometers and microphones to detect shots, it was an adjustment.

The Arccos Link has changed things for me. It very rarely misses shots, doesn't drain my battery anymore than the iPhone crew. The iPhone crew still have a feature or two that Android doesn't, perhaps the biggest being the Social feature. iOS Arccos people get to scroll through each other's rounds; Android doesn't have that, even on the dashboard.

Being a Gen 1 adopter, I'm grandfathered in from subscription fees for Arccos. I wonder if I can do this free trial for sensors, or at least give them to my old man to see if he likes them.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
His putting was exposed on Saturday.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

nerox posted:

Put a magnet on the bottom of the arcos sensor and use it as your ball marker!

I stopped using my arccos a long time ago cause it missed so many shots even with the belt clip thing. I wonder if I can order these newer version sensors for free and if they work better.

So I came to this thread and saw this post. The 45 day trial packaged showed up today.

If I'm not a gen 1 account holder, I'm definitely gen 2; at any rate, I've been grandfathered in from subscriptions. I figured I could kick this set over to my old man, and if he doesn't want it after a trial, I'd just have a set of backup sensors.

I tried to pair one sensor, and it gave me a message about activating a subscription.

Tried to back out of the message, since I'm not trying to do that, but no dice.

I've logged out and logged in, I've cleared app storage and cache, but it only brings me to that same message. I cannot access my account, view any of my clubs, shots, or stats.

I've messaged the support account to get this fixed; I'm not trying to start a subscription now.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Yes, go to a Dick's sporting goods or PGA superstore. I think all of their bays have trackman installed. Find a hybrid in the used club section that you like. If the price is good, get it. If not, purchase it on 2nd Swing.

Pay special attention to the shaft!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Ex-ante I would have preferred Lydia Ko/Jessica Korda or Minjee Lee's groups instead of Lexi's today, but as far as random draws go, I did about as good as you can expect.

Considering what happened today, it would've been cool to see In Gee Chun's round up close. Her -8 round was the largest differential compared to the field average of any major ever, men or women.

It might actually be the largest differential of any tour event, major or not, men's or women's, in the SG era.

https://twitter.com/JustinRayGolf/status/1540031526624284674

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I made the switch to a mallet putter a few years ago, and I feel like my putting improved overall, but I had the tendency to miss short putts (6 feet and in) left.

I started looking into different style grips (left hand low mainly), but other research into face balanced vs toe hang was a light bulb moment for me.

My mallet was face balanced, and an old TaylorMade Rossa Sebring in my closet is maybe 45° toe hang. I switched to the Sebring a week ago, and I've been so solid on putts I (perhaps unrealistically) think I should make.

Now I'm looking at Bettinardi mallets as my bank account recoils in horror.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
The short-necked TM Spider X? Yes, it very much fits my putting style. I use a Spider Ghost right now, and I adore the bizarre sight line on top (like a bastardization of the classic 3-Ball design), but I'll probably cave and get an X in the future.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

Had fun in the 2 day tournament I played in this weekend. However, I putted so poorly on Saturday I almost stopped twice at the PGA superstore and bought a new putter. Currently gaming a TM Spider X, I dunno if it was the greens or what but yesterday I couldn’t make anything. Today was a little better but I still missed too many putts I should have missed. I get 50% off at club champion on putter fittings so I thought of doing that just to see what’s going on with my stroke. I dunno it was frustrating for sure though.

Message me a deal on your TMSX. 😈

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Unreal.

Edit: She is unreal, I mean.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
What's the name of the charge on your card(s)? Should check mine.

Edit - Oh wow, found it. They charged an account that didn't even use it for one round.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 3, 2022

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Yeah, K-Sig is probably gonna be my winter ball. I have a few dozen lying around. Head to head with my summer balls (Z Star XV or, more recently, Diamond), I found the same thing: slightly less distance and much increased spin, but the price is impossible to beat.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Farking Bastage posted:

Do instructors typically offer a sort of “play x holes with me” option? I have a few times come in for a lesson and was just striping balls on the range the whole time.

I have two very different swings between the course and the range and I just can’t seem to make what I do on the range stick on the course.

I hit the first two fairways and went to poo poo afterwards. That is a tight tight course but man. So many 1 or 2 putt bogies

I know a few local instructors will do that. A buddy got a short game lesson from a guy who kept him on the practice green, but my buddy realized that OF COURSE he's gonna play better than normal if he continues to pitch from the same spot.

So he asked about a playing lesson, and he was hooked up with a different instructor who rode with him for 9 holes.

He credits that experience for his most recent transformation. The guy correctly identified shortcomings in his game in full swing, short game, putting, and course management. He's a better player now for it.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

squirrelzipper posted:

I've just started watching Good Good and holy poo poo those guys can hit a ball. It's not all long drive madness either, they can place and putt. I enjoy their content, they're doing a series in the UK which is fun. I don't even think about my game watching them, their super heroes compared to what I'm doing.

I really, really enjoy the main Good Good channel. The Knockout videos are entertaining, and most of the other videos are scramble teams (2v2v2 or 3v3). Matt Scharff (the guy who made a hole in one on a par 4 as well as a par at PGA National) was SUPER obnoxious in earlier videos, but in the last...6-9 months, he's been focusing on lowering his handicap, so he's a little more serious and less obnoxious.

Grant has an amazing swing, Tig (Micah) is a bomber, Steve is kinda there but a good guy, and Garrett is Mr. Clutch, but Bubbie might be the best. The dude is relentlessly positive. He can bit a little too cigar-chompy, but his mentality is aspirational.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Suprfli6 posted:

Yeah Matt was the closest thing to a robot you could get and I wondered why he wasn't on the channel any more, that sucks. Mac is good at manipulating the club to do some crazy stuff but it seems like reviews from him or Ian definitely require a lot more shots to get a good comparison sample than they did with Matt.

It's been a while since I've kept up with it, but I was watching TXG heavily when they were purchased by CC.

The story, as I understand it, is that Matt wanted ownership-level pay/position (like Ian got) for the merger, and CC didn't agree. So, he was cut loose. It sucks that things turned out that way, especially since Matt was an insane robot. Mac is definitely cool(er), and it's perhaps more than coincidence they found a lefty from Canada to replace Matt.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Tried my hand in a club championship.

After round 1, only 3 players (myself included) broke 80. The course is very penal off the tee (narrow, tree-lined, no drivers on par 5s if you're keeping it in play).

I was 3 back of the leader on the first tee today. We both hit good drives, and I hit a full wedge to 6 feet. He chunked his and made bogey while I underread the break. We trade birdies on 2, and I'm feeling good.

And then I flushed an iron on 3 that one hopped past a back pin and into jail. Made double, and I wasn't close for the rest of the day.

This dude was:
- the only person to break 80 today,
- 2 better than his day 1 score,
- 11 clear of 2nd, 12 clear of me.

I didn't play competitive golf in school, but you're never too old to learn that there's always someone better.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
If you're losing distance on your wedges, and you feel like cutting under the ball, then you're scooping it. You're delivering the wedge (already a high-lofted club) with more loft at the ball than you need.

At impact, feel like your lead wrist is bowed like you're trying to backhand the golf ball down into the ground. This will present the clubhead to the ball with less loft, and less loft = more distance.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I can't turn down a $90 fairway wood. Thanks for the link.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
All y'all are wild.

Trying to escape trouble? Driver off the deck. Two slices = back in play bb

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Farking Bastage posted:

I left a decent(cleveland) sand wedge by a green yesterday. I guess whoever picked it up liked it :mad: Normally I'd expect Vokeys to sprout legs like that, but looks like I'm shopping for a new wedge today.

edit: https://www.callawaygolf.com/jawsraw/

Cost twice what my last one did, but it's nice :)

Be sure to check globalgolf and 2ndswing. Maybe this isn't true for all clubs, but unless they show actual pictures of the clubs, they will rate clubs worse than they are. I ordered a Cobra driving iron that was an 8.5 out of 10, but it arrived brand new, still in the plastic, and never been hit. I think it was $50 less than retail too.

Exact same deal with a rotex 4 wedge.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I have a 3 day conference for work in the DFW area starting tomorrow. I do not wish to be around my coworkers for 72 straight hours, so I'm gonna try to catch some evening / night golf.

Does anybody know of a lighted course in the area? I could possibly also swing a 1 pm round Saturday.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
So, new petty-poo poo on Tour:

Reed approaches McIlroy on the range at Dubai, McIlroy completely ignores him, and Reed tosses a tee in his direction while leaving.

https://twitter.com/IndoSport/status/1617874739728642052

This was all we knew, until video was released:

https://twitter.com/KylePorterCBS/status/1618232630818017281

McIlroy was asked about it, and his response was amazing:

https://twitter.com/KylePorterCBS/status/1618252054304292865

Reed was asked, and he said:

https://twitter.com/GolfDigest/status/1618269482195251205

McIlroy later offered an addendum to his (nonverbal) reaction above:

https://twitter.com/GOLF_com/status/1618246127232614404

Defenders of Reed, respond.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

Who the gently caress is defending Reed lol

I think there's a guy in this thread who's BFFs with his caddy.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

BCRock posted:

Tiger at Riv is awesome. I already have tickets for Sunday, but I might need to go Thursday or Friday now just to make sure I see him if he doesn't make the cut.

Also psyched for the US Open at LACC this year and I'm sure he'll be playing in that if he's healthy. I've got tickets for Thursday and Sunday.

I would definitely attend Thursday and Friday because the chances of him making the cut are very slim.

This is like the one annual stop on tour that Tiger has NEVER won.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
LIV is a joke at best, and it took half a season for one of the players to come clean about why they signed. They gave so many bullshit reasons - more time off or better events or stronger fields, and everybody knew from the jump that it was only about money. The source of the money is the real issue. It's an especially tough look for Americans who were alive during 9/11.

All that being said, if somebody is going to the LIV event, I absolutely must have that ridiculous Season 1 Smash GC logo that looks like a fart.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I played in a 4 man "major" with a few buddies this past Sunday at one of those "PGA Tour replica holes" courses. I have to spot them shots (as few as 8 and as many as 14 for the highest hdcp guy). Though I don't average even par, especially during the school year where I don't get to play often, I still play off 0 for these tournaments.

After the round, we calculated a best and worst ball score for the group.

Best ball was an 81, worst ball was a 120. I shot an 85 and won by 6 net strokes. Nobody played great, but I played the least worst and won.

I'm hoping my lovely Masters win gives Rory the energy to win the real one next month.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
https://twitter.com/shanebacon/status/1639053640605343745?t=FDT2442d53p9WGlCk4pPJw&s=19

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Chromatics posted:

so sick

kind of funny too that Rory said earlier this week he supports bifurcation

See, I feel like that could be a major flex of his. When the greatest driver of the golf ball - MAYBE EVER - is all about bifurcation, okay with losing distance to ostensibly preserve classic courses and stop the bomb-gouge treatment, the options are "follow his advice" or "this will continue to happen."

Plus, the two GOATs (Tiger and Jack) are in favor of bifurcation.

If you don't want to roll the ball back, I always liked the idea of "no more tees." Equipment stays the same (if you want), but the ball must be struck off the ground everywhere.

It would be detrimental to my amateur game (with driving as a strength), but hey.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Omne posted:

Today's my day to volunteer at LIV Orlando. Hopefully I come back with some good stories

If they have the old school smash or crushers logo hat that looks like a fart, please get me one and I'll pay you for it.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I love a good WITB.

Driver: Cobra LTDx LS, 9*, Evenflow Riptide CB 50g shaft in regular :q:
3w: PXG 0211 15* in Project X Cypher 50g 6.0...regular :q:
3h: Nickent 4DX 20* ...once again in regular.
4-9 Irons: King Cobra Forged CB/MB. 4-5 CB & 6-9 MB. Shafts are Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120, ±1/4”.
PW: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 46*
50/54/58: Cleveland RTX 4
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X Copper 34"
Ball: Whatever premium ball is on sale. Currently it's 3 dozen 2022 Pro V1s I got from Carl's Golfland for $80 because they painted over corporate logos with massive black dots.

I bought an autoflex shaft in 2021, and while I'm not pro-level bomber, I'm longer than most people you'll run into at the local muni. I probably gained 15 more yards, but a very ugly hook was introduced into my driving, so I was good for at least 1 OB tee ball per round. I sold it to a buddy but still missed it.

I watched a review of autoflex-like shafts, and this Evenflow Riptide CB shaft had all of the same characteristics and was...$120 instead of $800. I'm a big fan.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Tired - Finishing 3rd (T2, lost in a scorecard playoff) to a team in a charity scramble who finished 45 minutes(!) later than the next slowest group.

Wired - Winning Long Drive because the organizers pulled the Closest to the Pin and Long Drive markers before the winning group went through the long drive hole, their last hole.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Suprfli6 posted:

My box of KSig V3 balls showed up yesterday. Visually they have the same color, dimple pattern, etc. as V2 so it’ll be interesting to see how different they are. Some initial reports are firmer, higher launch, and lower spin but I haven’t seen any full blown reviews.

I'm very interested in a ball with these characteristics. The V2 is an excellent bargain for ANY golfer, and it should be the ball that any budget-conscious person plays if distance and sidespin aren't a concern. There is one course in my area where I play v2s because driver is usually too much club and the greens require high spin to hold, but for most other tracks, I want a ball that performs better, especially in the wind.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
My first experience with a caddy was kind of brutal. I played Sawgrass in 2010, and I knew the course from the Tiger Woods video games, so when he asked me what type of help I needed, I just told him to help me read the greens. I expected the greens to be very fast, but they were startlingly slow.

He gave me a line off the tee on hole 1, and by the end of the hole, he knew I could take care of myself after. Unfortunately the greens flummoxed me so badly, in the caddie's eyes, that he tried to give me a putting lesson on 8.

Playing the 1-ups, I shot 78 on the day, made a birdie on 9 and 17, finished with a double on 18. I think I only had two 3-putts, but I can't remember how many total putts I had.

I don't think I would have broken par even if I had made every putt I had inside 10 ft, but having to tell the guy to stop trying to teach me the left-hand low grip during the middle of a $280 round sucked.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I am conflicted on that news. TXG club reviews were the best out there, and the club (especially driver) bracket challenge was my favorite content they made. Matty was integral to those.

But he left because he disagreed with the acquisition by Club Champion, tried to do his own thing (?), came back, and then left again? Did he make it a full year?

I was totally fine with him leaving the first time; I understood. This time leaves me annoyed for some reason.