Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Omerta posted:

Nice. Chipping has always been a weakness for me. I consider myself to be a great putter, so getting chips inside 10 feet should significantly increase my up and down percentage.

How do you like to practice chipping?

I'm probably in DoctaFun's crowd of good/great chipping and mediocre/bad at putting, but closer to average at putting. I'll make a few every now and then, but it's never enough.

I've lived in an apartment for a number of years now, so I don't have a backyard or anything to chip around. But when I still lived with my parents, I would hit chips and short pitches to a telephone pole at the edge of the yard. Then before I moved out (7 years ago?), I started practicing on landing chips and pitches to specific spots in the yard. Once I trained myself to pick landing spots for chips and pitches inside 40 yards, my up and down game dramatically improved.

When I'm at the course before a round, I'll do something pretty similar to what DoctaFun does. I'll go to the chipping green and try to get up and down as often as possible. I'll start by dropping 3 balls on the fringe. When I get all 3 up and down, I'll move back into the rough, and try to get all 3 up and down again. I'll continue this until I get bored, then I go practice putting or head to the first tee if it's time to go.

Today I played a course that had punched and sanded their greens about a week ago, so they were smooth enough but still gritty on the surface. This made chips and pitches check up fast.

Statistically, a carbon copy round from yesterday. 12 fairways (one missed long and in fine shape, the other a horrible skeezer to the trees on the right), 10 greens, 27 putts. This course is quite a bit tougher (and longer) than the course I played yesterday. I don't feel I drove the ball AS well today, but my approaches were a little more accurate if a little longer into the greens (less wedges, more irons). I had a bit of a crisis near the beginning of the back 9 where I started second guessing my grip, stance, alignment, forearm rotation, and pretty much everything else. I calmed down with a birdie on 14.

Hole 1 - Should have been a missed fairway here, but it's a downhill tee shot, and the right rough is basically a 300 yard long hill that slopes back towards the fairway. Most shots to the right roll down into the fairway, which is what mine did. I went for the green in two with my 4 wood. I fatted it and left maybe 60 yards to the green. Knocked it to 15 feet and made it for birdie, which is a good way to start.
Hole 2 - Drove it just through a dogleg left. Pushed a 9i but left it pin high, then hit my first weird chip. Normally it would have been too aggressive, but it checked up in a hurry and stopped a few feet from the hole. I remembered this for later in the round.
Hole 3 - Hit a decent 7i to the right side of the green, up against the collar. I did what I did yesterday over a similar putt - tried to figure out how much effective break there was on a relatively straight forward putt, and then I hammered it 10 feet past. Didn't make the par putt.
Hole 4 - Got stuck and launched one into the trees on the right. Tried to hit a hero 4 wood through a chute in the trees, but I just topped it back into the fairway. Looked like a decent punch out if you didn't see the club in my hands. Hit a PW below the hole, but my par putt stayed on the high side.
Hole 5 - Better drive, tried to hit a fade 7 to a tucked pin. Right shot shape, but I started it a little too left. My ball was maybe 4 inches onto the fringe. Two putt from there.
Hole 6 - This is a booger of a hole. 90 degree dogleg left that ends at 280. I hit an okay drive to the corner, leaving 202 yards. Hit a 5i that came up a little short. Chipped up and knocked in a 3 footer for par.
Hole 7 - I was talked into a shorter club off this tee than I intended. Left myself like 170 when I should have been inside 120. Still hit a decent 7i (green is lower elevated than the fairway), banged my birdie try off the back of the hole. Couldn't get the speed down on some of these putts, and I started wondering if the mower guy ahead of us was cutting the greens before we got to them.
Hole 8 - Hit a 4i to the center of the green, big sloping birdie putt that I was happy to stop within a few feet. Par is great on this hole.
Hole 9 - This hole is pretty ridiculous from the tees. I've only played one other 600 yard par 5. This one plays a little uphill, out of a chute, and it was also into the wind.

I ripped a driver...and made the fairway by 15 yards. 255 yards off the tee, leaving a long rear end way to the hole. Hit a 4 wood, then a PW to 12 feet. Made the putt!

Hole 10 - Driver - skeezy hybrid to the right sand trap. Straightforward shot to 6 feet past, rolled it in for par.
Hole 11 - Driver, then chunked a 6i because I was sure I was going to nail the mower who was parked on the edge of the green and waving me on. Pitched on, made my putt, and glared at the guy as I left.
Hole 12 - Pushed a 4i, up and down for par.
Hole 13 - Cleared my head, decided I shouldn't be trying to "fix" anything off the tee. Went back to my normal grip (neutral left, weak right), aimed up left center and hit a nice power fade. Hit a similarly shaped iron shot, but found the right edge of the green. Two putt par.
Hole 14 - Hit an easy driver to the right side of a narrow fairway. Had 101, then I hit a wedge I was sure was thinned - hardly took a divot. But it had that flat, mid-traj on it that the pros always have. Ball landed past the pin and spun a few feet back. Left me a 5 footer, made it for birdie.
Hole 15 - Hit a 4i hybrid to right front apron, ball cratered into the ground. Popped it out, cleaned it (is that legal?), then nearly holed my chip. Tapped in for par.
Hole 16 - Maybe the nastiest par 4 I've ever played. Hole is in 3 segments. First fairway ends at 290 with a creek and turtlebacked on the left and right sides. Next one starts at 330 (lol), ends with a pond at 400. Last one is way uphill to the green. Hit a drive to the end of the first fairway, then finally squared up on a hybrid and hit it decently. Birdie try was just high and just hard enough to finish right behind the hole.
Hole 17 - Rolling dogleg left par 5. Thought I hit a decent fade off the corner...only went 240 Can't hit a reliable draw, and I wasn't far enough into the corner to go at the green, so so I just hit a hybrid from the left side to the right side of the fairway...found a sand trap. Thinned a gap wedge off some pretty tight sand. Had a pitch from 10 yards past the green, misjudged my landing spot. Should have landed it just past the fringe, landed it on the fringe. It still rolled down to 8 feet, and I was lucky to curl it in for par.
Hole 18 - Dogleg right with a big pond on the right. Hit a hard fade to just behind the 150 pole. Hit an 8i maybe 20 feet right of the pin (because sometimes i forget to aim), didn't hit my birdie putt high enough.

Overall, more of the same from yesterday. I'm playing a pretty tough course tomorrow, and I would gladly take anything under 75.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Omerta posted:

Played Bobby Jones yesterday and shot 64. It's a par 70, 6000 yard course, so doesn't really count for ~shooting in the 60s~, but it felt good and made me less angsty about my offense.

I don't know anything about your Bobby Jones course, but I know a few 6,000 yard courses that take driver out of your hands and anything sub par is a terrific round. Great round, imo.

Played that tough course, didn't drive the ball nearly as well as I should have, paid for it. Hit 6 fairways and 5 greens, 25 putts. 2 birdies and 6 bogeys.

TL;DR - The manageable fade off the tee became a weaker push slice. Scoring is tough when I'm hitting longer irons and hybrids into greens to make up for poor tee shots, and the up and down magic ran out on the back nine.

Hole 1 - Nasty driver to the right, muscled a hybrid to right of the greenside bunkers, hit a pretty great flop shot that carried the bunker enough to roll off the fringe and settled a few feet from the hole.
Hole 2 - Hit a push fade 4i hybrid into a pond. Got up and down with a 12 footer for bogey.
Hole 3 - Good drive up the right, yanked a 4w left but in an okay spot. Hit my pitch from 40 yards to probably 7 feet, then left just enough speed off the putt to break in front of the hole instead of into it. I did this 3 other times in the round. The greens were perfectly smooth and extremely quick, so they were all my mistakes.
Hole 4 - Squared up on this drive and hit it very well. Hit a solid 9 over the pin, made a 20 footer for birdie.
Hole 5 - Hit an ugly slice that managed to find the edge of the fairway, overcompensated on my 6i approach and pulled it left. Up and down for par.
Hole 6 - Hit a 5i on a good line to a tucked pin. Finished a few feet into the fringe, only had maybe 10 feet total to the pin. Easy two putt for par.
Hole 7 - Hole is a narrow dogleg right. Played both shots as I wanted, had a 10 footer for birdie that I played just like my birdie attempt on hole 3. Settled for par.
Hole 8 - Par 5 that I did not play as well. Sweeping dogleg left - sliced a driver to the right, laid up with a 3i hybrid through the fairway, hit a wedge on what I thought was a decent line but caught a false back(?), leaving me with a ridiculous uphill putt. Probably a 20 foot putt, but 4 feet up. Barely got my first putt up the front, then rolled my par try in on the last rotation.
Hole 9 - Getting sick of these weak slices, I strengthened my grip and decided to roll my forearms a bit more. The result was a bullet into the left trees. It was long enough to leave an opening to the green...from 160 and over water. I hit a knockdown 5i that was actually a pretty great shot that finished on the back fringe. Rolled in an amusing 40 footer, humped the air for the group behind us to see.

So at this point, I'm feeling okay about managing my misses.

Hole 10 - Hit my drive left, attempted to hit a low chasing 4w under a tree, hit said tree. Got my third on the green, 2 putt for bogey.
Hole 11 - Got away with a shoved drive to the right. Hit a hybrid to a good wedge distance, hit a great wedge to 6 feet. Babied the putt, watched it curl in front of the hole and stay out.
Hole 12 - I'm running hot at this point. Hit a drive behind a tree, but I have to play over the tree because under won't put me anywhere I need to be. Hit a 6i to 15 yards short of the green, misjudge my pitch from the thick rough. 2 putt bogey from 30 feet.
Hole 13 - Birdied this hole on my own in a scramble about a month ago. Hit probably my last good drive of the day on this hole, too. Drive up the left, and I'm gonna pull a Sergio and complain about the grounds crew. At a course this nice, they've got maintenance staff out on the course all day, watering greens or raking bunkers or whatever. This guy is posted up in the middle of the green, literally spraying water at the flag. We wait and wait and wait, and I decide that, since he's seen us and has continued watering, I'm just gonna hit and pray I don't hit him. I bail right but catch a slope and settle on the green. Two putt from a good distance for par.
Hole 14 - Par 3 that I beat the pro on in the scramble. So I've got good feelings, right? Hit the same club (the scramble wasn't from the tips, but the wind was into us then and with us during this round) on a good line but came up more than one club short. Misjudged my landing spot on my chip, came up 15 feet short. Par putt didn't really have a chance.
Hole 15 - Left is dead on this hole, so the "strengthen grip and rotate forearms" experiment was shelved. Caught this drive a little thin, but it worked out. Still had a freaking hybrid in to this par 4, and my hybrid finished in an okay spot - pin high left. I started thinking about the chip on the previous hole and emulated it perfectly - short. I read break that wasn't there, watched my putt tumble end over end right by the hole.
Hole 16 - Blocked a hybrid right, pin high again. Right rough grabbed the hosel, pulling my pitch left and finishing even farther from the hole than it would have been otherwise. Left just enough speed off to miss it low. Bogey.
Hole 17 - Blocked driver right again, but this was an okay spot. Tried for a fade 6i (why am I trying this?), overdid it. Finished on topside of a bunker. Two putt from fringe for par.
Hole 18 - Played this hole like a hero. Straight forward par 5 that's probably NOT reachable in two with the wind in my face. Pulled a drive into a clump of trees probably 230 yards from the tee. I didn't really have a safe layup into the fairway that would have left me a scoring club (long pond on the right side of the hole), so I decided I would hit my 4w up the 17th fairway. Instead, I hit this amazing slice out of a chute, up into the air, and sliced back into the 18th fairway. I was intending on leaving it near the 17th tee box, but I'll take it! Had a full gap wedge in, and though I missed the shot, I saw exactly the miss I had been dealing with all day long. Blocked, with the face open even more than I needed it to be. Left my first putt from the front right fringe 8 feet short, but I made the par putt to beat my playing partner by 1.

Weird round. My chipping and putting kept me in it, but I didn't have my driver working, and I rarely capitalized on it when it did. It's also demoralizing to hit long clubs into par 4s! I've been spoiled by good drives on short courses.

Oh well, can't wait to play again.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 12, 2015

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I played another round this afternoon at a familiar course. Shot -1, but I was -3 through 4. I switched putters and drivers on the back 9, as well. I lent my Scotty Cameron to a scramble partner a month ago and just got it back in the bag, so I used it on the back 9 instead of the TaylorMade Spider with a SuperStroke USA grip that's been helping me out the past few months.

As far as drivers, I went to my newer (for me) Cobra Amp Cell driver with a heavier Grafalloy Epic shaft. It's only 70g, but that's 20g heavier than my other two shafts. I might lose a little speed, but it's not very noticeable, and for whatever reason, my shot dispersion is much tighter. Doesn't fix a nasty swing, but it seems to shrink my misses. I didn't miss a fairway on the back 9.

Instead of another novel that nobody reads, I'll just address the highs and lows:
  • Hole 2 - Absolutely mashed a driver here, hit a SW from 85 yards to 8 feet below the hole, rolled it in for birdie.
  • Hole 3 - Driver - hybrid to rough right of green. Sidehill, downhill lie, went with a little pitchy flop that came out right and then rolled back left to the pin to a few feet. Knocked it in for birdie.
  • Hole 4 - Laid back with a 4 wood to right around 100 yards. Left myself 15 feet up the hill and breaking hard right for birdie, knocked it in with a little pace to spare.
  • Hole 5 - Shoved another hybrid right. Pitched to the spot I planned, but couldn't make the 6 footer coming back.
  • Hole 9 - Okay driver up the left, ripped a 4i from a little over 200 yards to pin high. Thought I was safe in the bunker, but I was in this thick rough between the bunker and the fringe. Misjudged it coming out, left my attempt on the fringe. Two putt from the fringe for bogey.
  • Hole 13 - Hit another 300+ yard drive, then just shat the bed on my second shot. Tried to reach it in two with my 4W, hit a thin pull into the left gorse. Had to take a penalty drop, then nearly holed my fourth shot from 60 yards. Made a 3 footer for par.
  • Hole 15 - Played this hole like I'm supposed to play it. It's not very long, but it plays into the wind. Hit driver - PW to 18 inches.
  • Hole 16 - Played this hole like I'm not supposed to play it. It's not a reachable par 4 most days, and there's too much trouble straight at the green, so I laid back with a weak 4w (Gonna have to sit down and have a chat real soon with it), leaving me with a 90% GW. Pushed it right, got cute again with my chip, had to two putt for bogey.
  • Hole 17 - Par on the card, but what a rotten par. Smoked a driver, then hit a PW that hit the freaking pin and spun back nearly 40 feet (13 paces). Tagging the pin is always nice, but seeing my ball zoom back to the front of the green is not. Birdie putt was laser straight up the hill, but I was sure it was gonna break a little towards the water, so I played enough break to keep it out of the hole the whole way there.
  • Hole 18 - 440 into the wind, finally followed up a decent driver with a decent hybrid. Two putted to finish at -1.

Houston's supposed to catch some pretty nasty weather next week, so I'll probably have to hang the clubs up until next weekend. I say that, but I might go play in a downpour if there's no lighting.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Unrelated -

1.) Today, I was paired up with a threesome who never showed, so I joined up with a foursome on the 3rd tee box, and one of the guys was an ex-college baseball player in his late thirties. I don't think I've ever played with somebody as long as this guy was. He was a bigger guy, but he definitely had a good golf swing, and he asked smart questions about what clubs to play and shots to use. I watched his tee shot on the first hole I played with them, and I joked that he needed to scoot back to the tips with me. He obliged at the turn. I was proud enough to keep up with him off the tee, but he was usually playing for shot shapes to fit the holes and not necessarily distance. When he went after one...dear god.

On the 11th hole, I gave him some course advice off the tee, and though he hit the right shot shape (a gorgeous mid-height draw), he started it just left enough to find a hazard. He dropped from 245 and hit a 3i iron over nothing but hazards to the back of the green. Like, the ball carried 250+. His playing partners don't sniff 100, but when I said, "Jesus Christ," they just laughed and nodded. Unfortunately, he three putted for bogey. He also drove hole 4, which was a shade over 300 from the set of tees he was playing at the time. I don't think I've been closer than 10 yards out on that hole, and he didn't look like he gave it much gas. I bet I could make some money if I had that guy's length.

2.) On my round Wednesday, my buddy and I were paired up with a twosome that no-showed. So, the starter sends us off, and we're putting out on the first green when we see a cart coming up the path. It's two brothers (one early high school, one middle school) being driven by their mom. They were the twosome. They joined us on the second tee, and after watching them on hole 2, I knew it was going to be a long round. After playing the par 5 3rd with them, my buddy and I thanked them and played on ahead. I honestly don't mind playing with beginners, but they were taking FOREVER. The older kid kept slapping his ball right. He hit 3 houses in two holes. The younger kid kept hitting his shot but not watching it, so he's always looking for his ball. They also insisted on marking and putting out EVERYTHING. I know it was only two holes, but the group in front of us had disappeared, and the group behind us was already waiting. So I felt a little jerkish, but I wanted to finish in less than 6 hours.

They were understanding (especially the mom), but from hole 4 - 9, they stayed on our asses. The younger one stopped hitting tee shots or approach shots (one or the other per hole), and the older one wouldn't putt. I watched him run up to the green, pick up a 20 footer, and run to the tee box with his driver. I thought it was kinda weird that they decided to pick up the pace in that manner. By the time we made the turn, another twosome played through them and joined us (since we were backed up at that point), but we weren't holding the brothers up. On the very last hole, the older one decided to hit a drive while I was walking across the fairway. I've never been closer to firing a shot back at somebody. I kept my cool, and I didn't bitch them out because maybe he didn't see me, plus I didn't want to yell at these kids in front of their mom, but honestly!

In short - I'll gladly play with a beginner, but be courteous and keep up!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Keyser S0ze posted:

you got an 8 on that par 5 don't lie.

Lateral hazard off the tee, drop near hazard, hit third into hazard near green, hit fifth shot on, two putt?

Guys, the Golf Channel has a pro-tracer on Tiger...on the driving range. He may be in bad shape, but pro-tracer + Tiger will always get my attention.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Hell yeah, dude! Congratulations! Any witnesses? :q:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Any of you play with a push cart? I don't walk much since almost all the courses around here are cart-only, but it seems like it'd be a smart investment for my long-term back health if I can find a good model on the cheap.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you; I might splurge on a really nice cart soon. I played around with this cart in a Golfsmith. $180 base price, pivoting front wheel, folds down to a 20" cube 30" x 17" x 22" rectangular prism, and it's got a lot of add-ons like a seat, umbrella holder, smart phone case, and more.

http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30...EgS-hoCszDw_wcB

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
So there's a storage bin on the side that's wide enough to sit on, but I don't know if it's capable of supporting your weight.

However, a friend has a ClicGear that has a seat attachment, and in searching, I found this: http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/bag-boy-golf-cart-seat.html

In the comments, it says it fits the Tour Trek 1 Click cart. So I dunno!

Kameh fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 18, 2015

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
The "18 of the tour's greatest collection of holes" course in the area refuses to allow walkers. Rounds are typically 4:45.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I'm loving all these rounds being posted. Here are my last two.

As you can see, I did a great job of keeping the ball in play off the tee. Not every drive was 280 and dead straight, but I left myself a decent look at the green on every hole. Didn't get a whole lot out of my putter, though.

Hole 1 - Skipped the warmup session on the range, hit a bit of a stinger driver off the tee. Left myself with a 6i in, tried to hit a cut to a front left hole location but overdid it. Hit a GREAT bunker shot with mud on the ball to 4 feet past, but played left edge break when there was no break at all.

Hole 2 - Great drive, hit another 6i over the flag but rather long. Had to go up a ridge halfway and then back down to the hole. Tried to die it just past the ridge, but it died on top of the ridge. Par putt slid on by the hole. Greens were slower than normal, and I struggled with them all day.

Hole 3 - Mashed a drive, then hit a really good hybrid to a back right hole. Couldn't see it land, but I knew it carried the greenside bunker at 230, so if I wasn't putting, I had an easy chip. My ball was on the back fringe, total of maybe 12 feet for eagle. Had a few feet of fringe to navigate, and I got lucky with my putt!

Hole 5 was a 5i that was right on line to a front hole location, but I needed perhaps 2 more yards of carry to bounce it off a front knoll and right next to the hole. As it happened, I landed on the wrong side of the knoll and rolled away. Easy enough up and down, though.

Holes 4 and 6 were straight forward fairways and greens, though I was sore about making a par on 6 after hitting a good drive, a smart layup, and a gorgeous drawing gap wedge to 8 feet. Ball hopped right on something on my birdie putt, just like :argh: CHAMBERS BAY :argh:

Hole 7 was an 8i to pin high, 20 feet. I hit this putt smoothly, but I was sure I left it short. I held the pose, waiting for the ball to stop short, but it never did. It fell in on the last rotation, and I looked like a boss. Fake it 'til you make it. :cool:

Hole 8 was a HUGE drive and a flip wedge from 50 yards, but I played it too long. Two putt par.

Hole 9 is a bear of a par 4. Slight dogleg left with a lake all along the right. Hit a good drive and an even better 4 hybrid, so I'll take a two putt for par and scram.

For the back nine, it was fairways, greens, and two putts. Couldn't get anything to fall for birdie. Hit a really good pitch from way below the green on 12 to save par, missed short ones (<8 feet) on 13 and 14 for birdies.

I left myself about 90 yards on 16, which is what I wanted. Got too cute and left my approach on the fringe. Almost chipped in for birdie, but took a par.

Hole 17 was a good drive followed by an rear end-ugly pull of a 9i. Hit a decent enough recovery from the thickest rough on the course, but I couldn't make the par putt.

Hole 18 is basically hole 9 but flipped. Trouble is on the left. Hit a really good driver and a good 6i that I knew was gonna be well short of the pin. Left my birdie putt from over 40 feet right in the jaws. Tapped in from a foot for par.

14 fairways, 12 greens, 30 putts.

This course is a bit of a drive, so I've only played there a few times. It's nice enough, but again the greens were a little slower than I expected. 24 putts looks really good on paper, but that's mainly due to a less than stellar approach game and great chipping.

Hole 1 - Good drive, 75 yards in. Flubbed a wedge into the pond short of the green. Dropped in the same spot and hit my 4th long (of course), two putted.

Hole 2 - Driver/gap wedge to 20 feet, left birdie putt a few inches short. It was straight up the hill, and I still couldn't give it enough gas to get there.

Hole 4 - Fanned a 5i into the water, chipped up from the drop zone and made bogey.

Hole 5 - Hit a good recovery to the green from the trees on the right, had a big sweeping putt from the back of the green. Gave it a run, made the 3 footer coming back for par.

Hole 6 - Really good drive, then chunked a hybrid to like 50 yards out. Hit a wedge to the back fringe, 10 feet from the flag, got lucky and putted that one in for birdie.

Hole 9 - This one ticked me off. I hit a really good drive, then I waited on two workers who were on the green - one was riding a mower, and the other was blowing the leftover grass bits all over the place. After a while I decided that, should I get on the green, it wasn't going to be all carry, plus they didn't seem interested in leaving the green, so whatever! Gave it a go, but just hit a big cut to well short of the green. They stopped once they noticed me standing over my pitch, they put the flag in, and they just sorta stayed in place. They weren't in any danger, and I hit a pitch to 15 feet left of the pin, but the green was in horrible shape. I had to putt through rows of clumped up grass clippings. Birdie putt wasn't even close to going in, and I just picked up for par and moved on.

Hole 10 and 11 - Good tee shots, decent approaches, two putts each for par.

Hole 12 - 4 hybrid that I pushed (standard fare for this club right now), hit a floppy pitch over the bunker to 5 feet, rammed it in for par.

Hole 13 - Hit a really good drive over the corner, left myself with a little less than 100 yards in. Perfect yardage for my 58*. Had a little draw on it, so it finished left of the pin instead of right behind it. Made the 10 footer for birdie.

Hole 14 - Hit a really good drive, and I had a risky approach if I wanted to go at it in 2. Winding water hazard left and short of the green. I had 206 to the pin, so I figured if I hit a 3 hybrid with my normal cut shot, I'd be on or just right. There's a big set of trees front right of the green, and that's where I sent my ball. I found my ball in the downslope of a ditch well right of the green. Hit a good pitch into the bank of the green, and it rolled further into the green than I expected, which was a good thing. Made the longest putt of the day, an 18 footer for birdie.

Shoved an 8i right on hole 15 (got fed up with the twosome in front of me who wouldn't let me play through, didn't put a good swing on it), saved par. Chunked the heck out of my approach on 16, but I hit a really good 60 yard wedge to 5 feet and made it for par.

Hole 17 was maybe my best birdie in a while. It's not a long hole on the scorecard, but it's a sweeping dogleg to the left with trees overhanging the left side of the tee boxes and water all along the left side. Fairway is crescent-shaped. The hole calls for a draw, but that's not really a thing I can do at the moment. A straight driver would have been blasted through the fairway and into somebody's back yard, so I decided to play it smart with a 3 hybrid. I tried to hit a draw, and I did, but I caught it high on the face. It landed in a fairway bunker around 150 from the pin. There's water all along the left and in front of the green. I hit a dazzling 8i that faded to 4 feet. Rolled that in and got a golf clap from the single behind me.

Hole 18 - Smoked a drive, but I don't have the firepower or guts to attempt a 260 carry to an island green that's maybe 15 yards wide. I laid up with a 7i, and then I hit a crappy wedge to the front of the green that spun onto the apron. Hit a decent pitch into the slope short of the pin, and the ball sat down on top of the ridge, 4 feet away. Brushed it in for par before I could get nervous over it.

11 fairways, 9 greens, 24 putts. Didn't hit the ball as cleanly, but I performed better on and around the greens.

I'm playing tomorrow at the Tour 18 course, and my goal is no bogeys. I should be able to keep the ball in play on that course, and my short game is really on point, so as long as the greens are to my liking, I'm feeling pretty good about tomorrow.

I also traded in my Rocketballz 4w for a sexy little Adams Tight Lies 16* 3 wood in matte black. I liked the lower profile head. It felt good in the store, but the simulator was broken. We'll see how it goes tomorrow! :getin:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

BCRock posted:

The highlight for me though was that Christina Stockton from Big Break Atlantis (link) was playing in it too, and since I'd met her briefly at a party a few years back she remembered who I was. We spent a good amount of time on the range before the round and at the bar afterwards talking about golf and whatever else. She's really nice and obviously is a phenomenal golfer. It's always impressive watching women who are that tiny hit the ball as well as they do.

She also told me that GC cancelled Big Break, which kind of sucks. This new Altered Course show is garbage.

Dude, I'm crazy jealous of you. I played behind a Duramed Futures Tour player at a pretty tough course in Galveston three or four years ago, and I asked her playing partners at the turn (while she was getting lunch inside) who this girl was. They said she was even through 13 playing from the tips, and the course is super windy. I wanted to bail on my playing partners and force myself into their group, but I chickened out.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

fascinate posted:

Couple of questions. First what is this ^ app thing? It looks pretty cool and useful.

Second, does anyone use this AimPoint Express green reading technique? Im a complete beginner and could stand to improve my putting by a great deal.

GolfShot is good stuff, especially if you're looking for a GPS component. The stat-tracking feature is free.

AimPoint is the thing where they stand back and hold up 1, 2, or 3 fingers depending on how much slope they're seeing?

If so, it's definitely an interesting concept. I think you have to go to one of their training seminars where you get a booklet and hands-on lessons to get the most out of it.

I've seen a few players (Adam Scott included) straddle the line of their putts to feel the slope that they can't see. I've done that a few times to varying degrees of success.

Overall, my putting routine is simple. I almost never look at putts from multiple angles, as it just introduces uncertainty. I:
  • crouch low behind it like Tiger used to do in the 2000s (cupping the hands around the sides of the head and hat brim),
  • examine for any slope, looking for the high point of the break,
  • use my ball's alignment marker (either the one that's stamped on or the one I've drawn) and my dominant eye to start it on line,
  • use my putter's alignment to make sure the face is perpendicular to the chosen line, and
  • putt while hoping I picked the right speed.

I would probably attend an AimPoint training session if it were close by and reasonably priced.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
On the course, the geometry of the greens can be pretty treacherous, so to avoid anxiety over putts, (since 48 putts is like WHAT), come up with a routine and stick with it on every putt. I would suggest you:

1. Segment your routine. Don't just think, "Oh dear God, I have to putt now," and hope for the best. Focus on the execution of each part of your routine as best as you can, then simply accept the result. Different people have different routines, so try a few things on the practice green, and then settle on your own routine. Do it on every putt longer than 2 feet. For example, mark the ball, look at the break while crouched behind the ball, align your ball's alignment line to the highest point of the break, remove mark, address ball, no more than two practice strokes, then it's time to pull the trigger. Some would advocate walking around to look at your putt from different angles, but that's up to you. Don't hold up play or anything, though.

2. Once it's time to actually putt the ball, on the execution of your stroke, focus on rolling the ball over the starting line you've picked. Once the ball is gone, you can't help it anymore, so you need to be watching! If the ball doesn't go in, continue to watch which way the ball breaks so you can use that knowledge to make the next putt. For example, if you roll the ball past the hole, and you watch it turn left and pick up speed just a little bit, then your next putt will be back up the hill and breaking from left to right. As easy as it is to curse at the sky when your ball doesn't go in, your answers are on the ground.

Now, you are allowed to get upset, but you can't carry it with you. Give yourself from the time you retrieve the ball from the hole to the time you step off the putting surface to grumble, feel upset, be downtrodden, or express WHATEVER emotion you need. Once you're off the green, no more gripes. You're thinking about how to attack the next hole. It's tough to forget bad shots and scores (maybe the toughest thing), but try!

Now if you feel you can read the break but have trouble with speed, then I can't offer anything other than "practice, practice, practice." Most courses run their greens at consistent speeds, and hopefully the practice green is cut the same as the other greens on the course. When practicing, your goal should be stopping every putt inside a 3 foot diameter circle around the hole. Don't try to make long putts (of which you'll have many in the beginning); you need to focus on minimizing 3-putts.

There's also a ladder drill where you set tees down every few feet from the hole and try to stop the ball between certain sets of tees. Hitting your first putt with good speed eliminates those pesky 4-6 foot 2nd putts.

TL;DR - The Putting Bible by Dave Pelz

Kameh fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 6, 2015

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Dude I'm psyched just to read your trip report and see those pictures. I was lucky enough to go about 7 or 8 years ago, and I played some fantastic courses. Portmarnock and The K Club in Ireland, Prestwick, Carnoustie and St. Andrews (New Course, not the Old Course, but it was still awesome) in Scotland. I was under a 5 hdcp at that point, but my goal was to just break 90 on all of the courses we played. We played Carnoustie last, temps were in the low 50s, and it started raining on the back 9. I finished double-double-double to shoot 91. I can laugh my rear end off about it now, but MAN was I ticked then.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Okay, scorecard dump for my last 3 rounds. Played at two of my favorite courses, including 36 holes(!) today.

This is a gem of a course in the hill country. Friend of mine drove 4.5 hours just to play it with me because I won't stop talking about it. We both got off to horrendous starts, but we settled down on the back nine. The bunkers were washed out after some heavy rains, so we didn't play out of them. I didn't have a good sense of speed on the greens, and 2 of my 4 birdies were two putt birdies on the par 5s. I hit driver - 9i from the left rough on 16, and I came drat close to making a 2. I had maybe 6 feet for eagle, and it lipped out. :suicide: The birdie on the last to finish even felt pretty good.

Now for today's rounds. Groupon was running a special for this course - round with a cart, lunch, and a replay round with cart all for ~$50. The whole course was nearly perfect. The putting surfaces were immaculate. I haven't played on greens this nice in YEARS.

Left my eagle putt on 2 right in the jaws. It stung because I striped a driver - 3 wood over some water to get pin high with 30 feet for eagle, and the two older guys who were letting me play through started cheering because they were sure I had made it. It just stopped on the lip. "Never leave an eagle putt short" indeed.

Had some good sand saves, hit a gross iron shot on the first par 3 and had to re-tee. Hit a much better shot but lipped out the bogey putt. Finished in 2.5 hours, had lunch in the clubhouse, then I went out for my second round. I was kicking around the idea of driving back to my hometown early tomorrow morning to play in a dogfight which is held on a short (<6,000 yards) course, so I scooted up to the middle tees for my second round...and then this happened.

Every fairway, every green. :vince:

I nearly lost it on 15, though. I almost clipped a tree on my drive, then I topped my 3 wood from the middle of the fairway, and I left myself a 5i in. Barely got that onto the green to keep my stats going. It would maybe be greedy to say I could have gone lower, but I missed a 12 footer on 5, lipped out a 15 footer on 8, blasted a 6 footer through the break on 9, missed a 9 footer on 12, and lipped out from 18 feet on 13. After the fiasco on 15, I played it safe coming in. Hit a 9i to the front on 16, two putted from 30 feet. Had 103 yds to a back pin on 17, but I didn't want to get cute and fire right at the pin, so I hit an easy wedge to the middle of the green.

Once I got to 18, I was pretty nervous. I thought I striped my tee shot, but the wind had picked up since my morning round, so I had the same club (a 5i) both times into this green. I knew I hit it well, but I was still worried it wasn't going to carry the front bunker. I couldn't even try to play it cool - I was screaming OMG OMG GOGOGOGOGOGOGO. It took a decent hop on the front and settled 5 feet from the pin. After that, I wasn't going to miss the birdie.

Edit - Corrected a mistake.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 6, 2015

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

Holy poo poo what happened on #2 at Wilderness? A penalty stroke, GIR and birdie? :psyduck:

Hahaha, dang THAT would have been nuts. Don't know why that says that. I just hit driver and skeezed a 4i hybrid to short right of the green and got up and down for birdie. Guess I fat fingered it while eating chips. Fixed.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 6, 2015

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Thanks dude. It's not an easy course if you don't keep it in the fairway, regardless of the tees. It's one of those courses where I can honestly say it "fits my eye." Except for number 15 (dogleg left par 5 with an overhanging tree to deal with if you play a fade off the tee), I'm comfortable with every tee shot on the course. I got a few lucky bounces on some drives, but the fairways are generally wide open, and everything just kinda clicked on the back nine. I've been thinning my approach shots, so once I started flushing my irons, I got my confidence back.

My speed on the greens definitely kept me in it. I didn't have any par putts longer than 2 feet in my second round, so that helped keep me going.

Family stuff came up, so I'm gonna skip the dogfight tomorrow. But, I'm gonna try to play a pretty great (and super windy) course in Galveston Wednesday if the weather holds off. If I can still hit the ball this well, I might even break par there.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
What goes up must come down.

After my really good round Monday, I played a round at a different but still familiar course this morning.

Broke my streak of consecutive fairways and greens on the 4th (missed fairway right) and 5th (missed green short right) holes. On a blustery day, I hIt 11 fairways and only 10 greens. Didn't strike it too badly, but I didn't play the wind as well as I needed.

29 putts, 2 birdies against 4 bogeys to shoot a +2 74. Needing a birdie on the last to get back to even par, I hammered a drive to the exact yardage I wanted, then hit a perfect 8i over the flag...and to the back of the green. Since the pin was like 4 steps on, I could have stepped on a PW and gotten it closer. Despite the misclub, I still had an outside chance at a birdie until I took some unsolicited advice on speed. Three putted for bogey, considered jumping into the pond to end it all.

Welcome to golf, right?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Y'all.

https://instagram.com/_paige.renee/

I have many impure thoughts. At least one of them is jealousy. What a solid swing.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Dude....yes.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
http://www.pgatour.com/video/2015/0...pIS1ZHwr8EKKdOt

Video of the incident. I always wondered if people would go to these lengths if Tiger were coming down the stretch of his 18th major to tie Nicklaus...or the 19th to beat him.

Edit - Faherty said the boat people were repeat offenders.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 13, 2015

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
If it's a pair of tickets, and she doesn't want them, I'll gladly purchase them, especially for a Monday round.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Furnaceface posted:

I use my driver for a single hole at my course, everything else gets the 3W treatment. I always find it amusing how often people, especially new players, are told to rush out and drop $200+ on a brand new driver not realizing its the hardest club to master outside the putter. :v:

See, I feel differently. A 3 wood has a lot of technology that drivers have, but if you're a new golfer, you're PROBABLY going to mishit the 3 wood as often as you mishit the driver. But, all other things being equal, you're gonna be 20+ yards ahead with a driver mishit compared to a mishit with a 3w.

Article I read a while back that sort of solidified this nebulous notion of mine that driver off tee is better than 3 wood - http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/2007-10/golftechdriver

Mike Stachura posted:

"My driver is far more accurate than my 3-wood." [Kim, Christina]

That statement doesn't necessarily have to be true to be a powerful indication that the technology advantage of the driver might be fundamentally changing strategy off the tee, and not just for tour players but for you, too. A Golf Digest test of 20 average golfers ranging in handicap from 3 to 20 showed that there was relatively little difference in accuracy between 3-wood and driver tee shots, despite the typical 3-wood being about two inches shorter and having about four degrees more loft than today's driver. And with a distance advantage of more than 20 yards with the driver, the test suggests that average players might want to rethink their attitude toward the 3-wood.

Personally, a bad swing is a bad swing, but unless there's trouble at the end of the fairway or a driver will leave me with a wonky yardage, I'm pulling driver every time.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Halo14 posted:

Oh man this is golf porn, awesome stuff. Any tips for playing in the wind? I turn into a spastic and all my shots balloon up and just die.

If playing into the wind, grip down an inch on one iron longer (e.g. 6i instead of 7i) and swing *smoothly*. I don't advocate a 3/4 swing, because you'll lose more yardage than necessary. Think more about your "layup swing;" you know, the one where you pure it every time but never actually attempt off the tee box. If you're privy to wind speed before the round, you can look forward to using 1 more club for every 10mph of wind.

If playing with the wind, and you want to maximize yardage off the tee, swing HARDER. This will generate more backspin, allowing the ball to climb higher and ride the wind. In a strong wind, your ball can be knocked down before it's had a chance to carry its full length.

For crosswind shots, http://golf-info-guide.com/golf-tips/playing-conditions/tips-for-handling-a-heavy-crosswind-part-i-golf-tip/ for pretty diagrams.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I played my first irons only round in...maybe ever? Left my driver, 3 wood, and hybrids in the car. Carried 3-PW, 50*, 58*, and putter. I don't normally even carry a 3i, and in fact, I didn't even hit this 3i on the course until yesterday. I've left it in the closet for easier to hit hybrids.

Shot 81 with 4 doubles, two bogeys, and one birdie. I really wanted to keep it under 80, but man, a blade 3i is tough to hit! A large part of it is psychological ("butter knives belong in a drawer, not a golf bag"), but it leaves no room for error. A good swing is rewarded, and a bad swing is punished. Even when I flushed it off the tee, I'm looking at a maximum of 230 yards (carry + roll). I didn't lose a ball, but more to the point I made earlier about driver vs. shorter clubs off the tee, I didn't hit more fairways by playing conservatively. I've averaged 10+ fairways in my last 10 rounds, but I only hit 7 6 fairways with my 3i today. A 3i is not a 3w, but I guarantee you that my misses with the driver would have left me 40 yards closer to the hole.

I can't lay all the blame on my 3i though. For the times I did find the fairway, I didn't always hit very crisp iron shots, and my short game REALLY let me down. I've been sharp for the last few weeks, but I must have left my short game in the car along with my driver. For one, I wasn't landing my pitches where I needed. The first hole was straightforward enough - 3i off the tee, 8i in from 150. I left my approach just short of pin high but on 3 feet of fringe. 15 yards to the pin, plenty of green to work with, and the fringe was perfect to chip from. I'm looking for a kick-in par, if I don't just hole the thing. Instead, I powered a chip 15 feet past the hole and 3 putted for a double. Very discouraging start.

In the last two weeks, I once went 73 holes without a 3-putt. I've had 3 3-putts in my last 126 holes. I'm no pro, but that ain't bad.

Today, I had 4 3-putts. Tomorrow, I hope to put driver back in the bag, do a little bit of work on the range and around the greens, and see if I can get back to par or better.

Edit - Cannot count.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 14, 2015

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Oh I'm so in.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

UnionCarbide posted:

XBone. MonkeyBunker is my gamertag for anyone interested in golf shenanigans.

Heh. Just finished day 3 of a tournament with Sergio Garcia at the top of the leaderboard. Day 4 starts, it says "Simulating based on abilities" or whatever, leaderboard comes up, and Garcia's completely collapsed and isn't on the first page of the leaderboard anymore :D

You son of a bitch.

Edit - I hope my multiple messages throw you off and bring Garcia back to his rightful place atop the leaderboard.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 14, 2015

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

minstrels posted:

Lucozade is the Gatorade like sports drink. Tasty stuff, especially good for rehydration during a hangover.

I was ready to say, "Irn-Bru," since that stuff tastes like salty orange Coke.

I got some for free from a guy stocking a vending machine on the way to Inverness. I found some much later in a British import shop in Houston. Still gross.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I had a pretty disappointing round today. 3 birdies against 7 bogeys. I had 4 3 putts. Two of them were on an Amen Corner replica. Hit a drive to 115 on "No. 11," the par 4. Hit a gap wedge a little long, ran my putt by 3 feet. My par putt horseshoed right back at me. Two putted for par from 10 feet on "No. 12," the par 3. Hit a gorgeous drive on the next hole, "No. 13," the par 5. Hit a 6i a little bit skinny but landed it on the front fringe...with less than 18 feet for eagle. Lagged it to a few feet, birdie putt spun out sideways.

Three putted for bogey on another par 5, a Pebble Beach replica. Putting woes were ever present, with two of my birdies being kick-ins after stuffed wedges. Of course, as I'm ready to fling my putter into the water, I drain a 40 footer for birdie on 17.

Stupid, stupid game.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Played a course in the Houston Medical District. It's short (~6,000 from the tips), but most of the par 4s have a pond or junk in front of the green. It's pricier than a lot of public courses in Houston, but they do well to put the money back in to the course. Also Jesus Christ it was hot outside. Temps peaked at 99 during the round, and the heat index was well over 100 F. Walking was quite the challenge.

I was hitting the ball extremely well. My fairway misses were still struck solidly, and except for 9, I still had a full swing and a good chance to get the ball on the green. After a really bad putting round on quick greens, I had a decent bounce back today on some slightly slower greens. If the greens yesterday were rolling at an 11, I would guess these were an 8. I left a lot of putts 6-12 inches short, so still a little bit of scar tissue, but I'll take it for now.

Hole 1 - Gentle dogleg left with a pond most of the way down the left. A lot of people hit hybrids or even mid irons off the tee, but a mishit here brings that pond into play. I elect to hit an easy driver to take the water out of play, and there's a crescent shaped hill at the corner to stop balls from running into a maintenance shed. This is where my tee shot finished. Ball was above my feet, only had 100 yards to the pin. Lone pine tree with overhanging branches prevented me from taking a full SW in, so I dropped to my 50* in an attempt to keep it just below the first limb. Instead, I hit a glorious 3/4 shot that clipped the underside of the limb and spiraled down to the right rough just off the green. Easy chip for an up and down par.

Hole 2 - Hit a pretty good drive, left myself 130 into the wind. Dropped down to a 9i, hit it right on line. Ball stopped 3 inches right of the hole. Almost an eagle!

Hole 3 - Maybe the only bad iron swing of the day for me. Caught a 7i a little high on the face, left it on the very front of a long green. Two putted from 65 feet for par. This is when I knew I'd have a better day on the greens.

Hole 4 - Flushed a drive down the center, had 57 yards to the middle pin. Hit a dead arm wedge to 15 feet, just misread the break. Par.

Hole 5 - The pond in front of the green starts at 270 on the left side of the fairway and 257 on the right side. It usually plays into a stiff wind, so I don't feel nervous about hitting a cut with the driver. However, instead of hitting a cut off the left side, I hit a big bomb straight and into the left trees. Managed to pick a 9i off some hardpan to the right greenside rough, but I got aggressive on my downhill chip and couldn't convert the comebacker for par.

Hole 6 - Bounce back! Hit another big drive down the middle, hit a 6i up and over the trees at the corner. It's a kidney-shaped green. I was on the back center, pin was back left. Rolled in a 35 footer for eagle. Man that felt good.

Hole 7 - Hit a stock 7i to the center of the green, left the downhill birdie putt a foot short.

Hole 8 - Couldn't have placed my drive any more perfectly at the end of the fairway. Wasn't sure I could get a GW there from 115 into the wind, so I stepped on it and left myself a pretty long birdie putt. This was the second consecutive downhill birdie putt I left short. Over both putts, I was imagining the hole to be a few feet short of the actual hole, but all that managed to do for me was leave the ball right where the imaginary hole was.

Hole 9 - This should be a 3w hole, but I was still feeling good about my driver. Why leave myself 100 yards when I could leave myself 60-70? Welp, hit a pull draw into the left trees, had to punch out short of the green. Did well to pitch it up to the back tier, made a 5 footer for par.

Hole 10, 11, 12 - Good drives, good approaches to just below the hole, left putts online but short.

Hole 13 - There's a pond at 260, so I dropped down to a 3 wood. Hit it decently but on the right side into some newly planted trees. Thankfully, the course is allowing for free drops away from these trees, so I took relief, hit a hybrid into the greenside bunker, and splashed out from an upslope to 4 feet for birdie. That one felt nice, too. I've been hitting way too closely to the ball out of the bunker in my last few rounds, sending it way long. Not so with that one.

Hole 14 - Long par 3 that was playing 190 or so. I don't even think I've ever hit this green before, but I managed to stiff a 4i in a hard left-to-right wind. Really wanted this one to drop, but I gave it a little too much speed for the break I picked.

Hole 15 - Nice 3W to the end of the fairway, full GW just over the top of the flag into the back fringe. Easy enough to putt, but I left the ~15 footer (again, downhill) right in the jaws.

Hole 16 - This can be one of the longer par 4s on the course with a hurting wind. There are two high-rises on the left edge of the fairway that would be perfect to split with a cut. Of course, I didn't want to lose it right, so I hit a pretty amazing looking power draw almost OB. Found it on the edge of the course in some trees, and I managed to hoist a PW to the back fringe. Putted down to even with the hole but about a foot left. Tapped that in for par.

Hole 17 - Hit a nice 6i over the flag but a little longer than I thought. 30 footer, had a hard break to the left at the end, and I was pretty sure I made it. I raised my arms in celebration...then watched it continue to roll by the hole lol. I'm that guy on the course.

Hole 18 - Hit a draw off the left center part of the fairway instead of a fade. Found the left rough, but had a full SW in. Hit it pin high, dead center of the green. The pin was placed right at the end of the slope below the back tier, so the more break I played (up the slope), the more it would come back. Played more break than I initially wanted, but it still finished on the low side. Easy par.

So overall, pretty good round. I'm supposed to play a pretty new casino course in Lake Charles on Sunday. It looked pretty tight from the road coming in, so I might not be able to get away with quite as many driver misses.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 23, 2015

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/07/robert-allenby-and-caddie-part.html

Robert Allenby pulls a Happy Gilmore and fires his caddy midround, gets a fan to finish looping for him.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
My favorite part is Allenby accusing him of not being a true Australian.

Are Australians routinely and publicly insulted by their employers? Because that sounds rather American to me. :911:

Edit - http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/golf/insult-proved-the-last-straw-for-robert-allenbys-caddie/story-fnaxw0m2-1227456225768 for context

Kameh fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 24, 2015

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Suprfli6 posted:

This week I'm playing as the guest with my boss in his Member-Guest tourney that even includes a Friday practice round on top of banquets both days and drinks, and the course is flat and wide open. I've never played with him but he says he can drive the ball quite a ways and it's like a 6500 yard course so we should have some fun.

Enjoy it. Lot of people freak out about playing with the boss, regardless of how they personally feel towards them, but I played a similar scramble with my boss a few months ago and had a blast.

Man, I played the brand new Golden Nugget course in Lake Charles earlier this morning. It was maybe the best manicured course I've ever played. I can only recount two blemishes on the entire course. One was a greenside bunker that needed just a little more sand, and the other was an old hole location that didn't take replacing well, so they tried to sand over it. Everything else was just amazing.

It wasn't the most original layout, nor would I make the trip to play on a whim - it's like $160, but the mother in law got me on for free - but it was a good day. Shot 74, including another trio of straight bogeys at the beginning of the round. Turned in 38, then came home in even 36 (one bogey, one birdie). Last hole is a 570 yard par 5 that I nearly reached in two with driver - driver. Best of all, my chip from just off the front nearly went in for eagle. I don't normally hit driver off the deck, mainly because it's risky and hard AF, but it worked out well.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

ironlung posted:

Water on the club face, bro

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2014/8/8/5982985/bubba-watson-curses-complains-pga-championship-2014 for context.

Bubba Watson is a bit of a mental midget.

Edit - Got my TP-X balls in. Thanks for honoring the bet, Josh Lyman. Hope I can put them to good use tomorrow.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

thebushcommander posted:

After playing back and forth with ProV1's and Taylormade TP's I've pretty much decided I find next no difference in distance, control, flight, putting etc. Henceforth I shall be using all Taylormade TP balls since they are cheaper.

Edit: and I just got 5 dozen for cheap :D

TM balls are legit. I used to play TP Blacks, and then I switched to the TP Black LDP line. Once Pentas came down in price, I switched again. I didn't play a Lethal ball until last week, when I found one in some thick rough. It had "BOO" stamped on the side, and I like to think it was Boo Weekley's ball.

I'm sure the TP-X will be just as good.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I thought you guys just quit on me. I would post a scorecard dump, but eh. Last three rounds, I've shot even, -2, and +2 (approximation of today's round). I've been driving and hitting the ball progressively better each round, but the greens at the courses have been progressively worse. Today was enough of a joke (hairy, bumpy, but somehow faster than you'd expect) that I didn't even bother logging the score in Golfshot. Didn't make a single putt of note except for a 35 footer for birdie. Stupid game.

I got the PGA Tour Live subscription, so I watched most of Tiger's round this morning. He's just striping the ball off the tee, and he's thrown some absolute darts into the greens, but he's been blowing a lot of putts way past the hole. He made all of his come backers, but he needs to get a little more dialed in on the speed.

Guys, if he wins this tournament and gets into Firestone next week...:gizz:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

pmac posted:

I recently was given access to https://golfscrimmages.com, which is created by PGA Pro Trent Wearner (he's on Golf Channel and is a "top teacher" in Colorado). I have 3 free accounts that I can pass out if anyone is interested. The site basically gives you a bunch of practice games and allows you to add more structure to your practice sessions. The platform isn't particularly well built but the games are good. Let me know if you want an invite.

I'll take an invite.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Oh poo poo I just bought a GolfNow Hot Deal tee time at Golf Club of Houston (site of the Shell Houston Open) for tomorrow morning at 9:10. $69! Typical GN price is $109-119, regular price is $205.

I have to run a 5k with my wife tonight, I've never run a 5k, I do not like running, and it hurts my shins. I've never played there before, and I wanted my first time there to play from the tips. MY BODY WILL BE BROKEN!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

My FJ Superlites are wearing out, and I'd like to have a pair of really light walking shoes for better days. Something like another pair of Superlites, or the old M Projects, without softspikes, just the nubs. Suggestions?

E: To elaborate, I don't need them to be waterproof or anything, just really really light for walking on dry days.

http://www.budgetgolf.com/FootJoy-M-Project-Cleated-Golf-Shoes-White-Orange.html

Almost pulled the trigger on these earlier. $30 Project M, sizes 9.5 - 11. White/orange stripes, but whatever. I got some Ashworth Cardiff ADC shoes for around $50. They're pretty comfortable for walking. I've got 3 pairs of the previous generation (no ADC), so I'm excited to try the ADCs when they come in.

Edit - didn't notice the soft spikes on the bottom. DISREGARD?

http://www.budgetgolf.com/FootJoy-M-Project-Spikeless-Golf-Shoes-White-Blue.html - $40, sizes 9-12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
As somebody who got psyched about his Rds. 1&2 performance, it's a little tough to stay positive after that +3 on Saturday, even if he rebounded with a -3 yesterday.

That being said, there really are more positives to take away from this week. As you said, his swing looked really, really good. His miscues off the tee were pretty bad, but his recovery shots were insane. Plus his short game was just stunning. His putting was aggressive all week, which either shows complete confidence or recklessness.

You also can't be mad when the dude says he has "total control of the golf ball" after ripping I don't know how many balls into the water over the last two days. Fake it 'til you feel it.

Josh Lyman, can you put together a PGA Championship thread around Saturday/Sunday so I can just dump the golf ball bet info in one of the first posts? I don't think I should make a separate thread for it.