Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

148y par 3 downhill 6 iron

Sounds like this guy should be playing up a few tee boxes if he's hitting a 6 iron from what should be a wedge range, no wonder he shot a 114. He must be hitting driver then 3 wood on all the par 4s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

He was playing from the white tees. For reference I was playing from the tips which was about 180 according to the score card and I hit a 8 iron about pin high. Hole probably played 20 yards shorter because the tee box was elevated. His 6i was past the hole a good 10 yard and smacked a hill and then rolled down off onto the green where it just caught a slope to move it more toward the hole. If the hole had been relatively flat tee to green he would have been way past, but we're talking about a dude who probably won't ever break 100.

Ahh ok, I gotcha.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Summit posted:

Anyone ever use GolfTEC? My dad bought me a swing evaluation there which I'm going to tomorrow. Not gonna lie I'm a little worried it's going to be too much analysis and mental tweaks that will make the game less enjoyable. I can keep a few things in my head at once but beyond that it just makes me hit like poo poo.

I used it for like 2 lessons. It is a lot of analysis, hand positioning, body positioning, etc. You strap into this weird harness, you'll hit a few balls, they video you, go over the video and make adjustments rinse and repeat. It fixed a few things for me like hand and club position but other than that, I wasn't getting much out of it. I hate hate hate hitting off mats and I'd much rather be out on a range with a pro hitting real shots and actually seeing where the ball is going. Sure the trackman or whatever system they have setup shows the flight of the ball but it's just not the same. Give it a shot if it's free, but it's not something I'd ever pay for again. You'll get more outta a few lessons with a real pro than with the trained golftec "pros".

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Florida golfing people, any of you played the course at the Waldorf Astoria? Gonna take my dad there Sunday to play for Fathers day.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Mr. BT posted:

First ever hole-in-one today!

124 yards. Hit the green, rolled... then disappeared. I wasn't for sure until I looked in the cup.

Awesome man!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

If you mean the one in Orlando, yes. It's a very well-maintained course and some pretty good greens. Pace was really slow one day but I think that was because we were there the day of some big outing. Lot of water to play some fun risk/reward situations as well. You'll both enjoy it.

And CONGRATS MR. BT :toot:

Yeah that's the one. 10am tee time for $65. Not too bad for a resort type course.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Nichol posted:

I had no idea cart-only was a thing that existed in the world. That is horrible. I walk every round unless someone I'm with insists on a cart, but I find cart golfing incredibly silly.

I can't think of a course anywhere near me in central florida that allows walkers. No one wants to walk when it's 100 degrees with 100% humidity here, gently caress that would be miserable.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

You walkers need to come to Florida and try and do that poo poo. No one wants to walk in 95+ degree weather and 100% humidity. I said it before but I can't think of any course in the central Florida area that allows walkers.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Just booked tee time for my dad and I sunday at Orange County National Crooked Cat. Man, it's probably one of my favorite courses in the area and $45 for unlimited play/range balls/lunch is a steal for that course.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I guess I was the only one hoping for Bubba to win/get in a playoff with Day? Remind me again why you guys don't like Bubba? Sure he's a headcase, but you gotta admit when he's on his game he's one of the most exciting guys to watch play.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tiger is actually playing like Tiger Woods today at Wyndham.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tiger is done. Just tripled 11 and is now 7 back.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sepist posted:

What is that site you guys are using to post your scores from?

I only recently started playing at the ripe age of 29, played at a course in Vegas last month and at Bethpage Blue last weekend (I live across the street from the Black course) and am hooked already.

I've watched a lot of youtube videos which have helped immensely - I'm not really having any particular issues hitting the ball correctly as I hit straight 90% of the time, but what I am having an issue with is distance off the tee. I just bought a beginner set and feel very comfortable with them, but I can't seem to hit a driver past 220~ish yards. I'm not a small or weak guy, so I'm assuming it's my form. Are there any good videos to watch or tips for driving harder?

I think most of us are using the GolfShot app on ours phones and then posting the scorecard from it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Cargo shorts would be so hot to play in down here. A good pair of golf shorts are so awesome in the heat.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

EnsGDT posted:

Hey are any of you guys in the Atlanta area, cause I might have a film shoot coming there that needs Amateur golfers to hit balls against a pro :)

I uhh could be there in like what, 4 hours?? :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

EnsGDT posted:

Can't make any promises, but my producer for the job I'm on said it's her next job in the pipeline. Atlanta area, in the sept 27-28 time range.

A-loving-list golfer for sure too. I'll bug her some more about it. I have half a mind to pay for myself to fly from LA to join in haha.

I can be free those days!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

UnionCarbide posted:

Guys. Guys. Guysguysguys.

My FL vacation starts in a week and a half. Productivity at work is at an all-time low. :dance:

Where abouts in Florida? I'm in central so if you need a golf buddy for a day lemme know :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

UnionCarbide posted:

Orlando. My golf schedule isn't firm yet (other than all-weekday golf), but the courses I'm going to be playing are:
New Course at Cypress Villas
Royal St Cloud
Disney's Magnolia
Falcon's Fire
either Mystic Dunes or Disney's Lake Buena Vista or Palm.

I'm going to be there with 2 other folks from my golf club, so we totally have room for a 4th.

Royal St Cloud is awesome, play there a lot, and probably the cheapest course you're gonna play :)

For sure let me know if you guys need a 4th and if I'm available I'm down. When it gets closer to your vaca we can exchange emails or whatever.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So apparently Tiger had another back surgery this week and is now out until sometime in 2016.

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2015/09/18/tiger-woods-microdiscectomy-surgery.html

I honestly think he's pretty close to being done, his body just can't hold up like it used too and he's wrecked too much of it to continue to play the way he used to.

The new generation right now is so awesome I'm not even that sad.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ribsauce posted:

I cannot wait to get consistent at ball striking. If I could ball strike as well as I putt I would almost be a scratch golfer (not really). I was on fire today. 25 footer, 15 footer from the fringe, and probably 5 10-15 footers.

So you know what's gonna happen right. You'll have an amazing ball striking day but your putting will go to poo poo. It's some sort of rule that us normal people are not allowed to have both a good ball striking day and an awesome putting day!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Since I worked 13 hours yesterday I'm taking today off and golfing. Thank you hot deal + $10 off hot deal coupon for making my round cost only $6! Playing a nice course, some decent elevation changes and is usually is good condition. Tee time is 12:30, and thankfully it's finally starting to be not super hot here in florida so I'm not going to die out there.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So that $6 round turned out pretty awesome. There was really no one else on the course just another single in front of my so it only took me 2:15 to play! Found out at the course that there is an issue with Golfshot and ios9 apparently so it was crashing anytime I hit start round, played without it all round and still had an awesome round, 76! Here's my score card in golf logix until golfshot is working.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

Holy poo poo I'd kill to knock out 18 in 2 hours :stare: Were you like running to your ball or something

Also Golfshot had a big update for me yesterday on Android so maybe check if yours needs to.

The iOS update is still making its way through apple apparently.

Riding in a cart makes the round go a little faster, plus even the fairways I didn't hit I was mostly in the secondary rough right off the fairway. Used the same ball all round too!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

hahaha that owns. I'd be more excited about having a round like that than if I broke 80

I've been playing Nike rzn blacks my past few rounds, even using the volt color because why the gently caress not lol. Ball held up really good, no really bad cuts on it or anything even though I had quite a few wedges into the green that I spun pretty good, could still use it for another round.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I'm gonna be needing a new driver here soon, that new M1 looks and sounds amazing but no way I'm dropping probably $500 on it brand new, I'll wait 3 months until TM comes out with their next version for it to drop to $2-300.

3 wood is ok I guess.

I could use some new hybrids, mine are getting on in age now.

Irons, well I just my Mizunos last year, custom fit and everything and I can't see myself getting rid of them anytime soon since they work so well for me.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

How can anyone hate that kid? Jeez. Hell when him and Jason Day play they look like they are having so much fun playing with each other.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Christ, I went out saturday afternoon with pops and it felt like the middle of summer, it was at least 95 degrees out there. WTF florida, it's supposed to be fall you could at least drop the temp a few degrees. I shot an 82, 3 3 putts otherwise I'd would've been down in the high 70's again. 72 by the end of the year is my goal, luckily my end of year is literally December 31st :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Trip report: they sent 98 balls instead of the 96 I ordered, which is just as well since 2 balls had scuffs on them. They also sent a sleeve of Nitro maximum distance balls, which I guess I'll let my cats play with.

As for the remaining 8 dozen, there were 5 or so that were kind of worn, as in the edge of the dimples weren't as sharp, but everything else looked like it had less than 9 holes of play. At 53 cents/ball, this was, indeed a once/year deal.

Thanks for the update! Just placed my order for 5 dozen.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

How far would you guys drive to play just another course, aka nowhere special? I kind of want to play golf tomorrow, which means my options are somewhat limited due to weekend prices. There's a course I've been looking at playing, not top of my list but on it, that has a good deal, but it's 1 hr - 1 hr 15 min away. Should I just stick with something closer?

Bout an hour is as far as I care to drive to play.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The reviews don't bode to well for the greens :(. Generally I'll check the reviews too if it's a course I'm driving for. That one has 4 stars but it seems they may have aerated the greens recently and doesn't sound like they are back yet. Good luck though! If it's bad, come down to Orlando and I'll buy you a round down here :).

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

You owe me a round. :colbert:

Actually, it wasn't the worst course conditions I've ever played, but I would be embarrassed if I brought a friend. I got stuck behind some horrible foursomes, so a 3.5 hour round felt more like 5.

It was gusting to 20 mph and the fairways were pretty barren so the 7106 yds played much shorter. I didn't have more than 7 iron into any of the par 4s and all the par 5s were reachable. Here's one of the nicer looking holes:

The greens were utter garbage, on average 25% completely dead, but they cut the holes in spots where there was still grass so I didn't have trouble putting near the holes. The internet says they're Bermuda, which would have been fine; the Internet lied.

Here's a 225 yd par 3 that drops off a cliff. I hit a punch 3 iron into a stiff breeze and still came up short:

Ended up shooting 37-35. I won't be going back, even if the course were in pristine condition, if for no other reason than there are similar tracks much closer.

Man that sucks, nothing like playing on a poo poo course and getting stuck behind people to ruin a round of golf.

My order from golfballsdirect will be here Monday. Apparently they ship outta florida so I basically get 2nd day shipping for $6. That'll make them my goto place to order from since ordering from lostgolfballs usually takes up to 5 days.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

mattfl posted:

Thanks for the update! Just placed my order for 5 dozen.

Got my order in today! Like Josh, I had maybe 2 or 3 that had some sort of very minor scuff on them but the rest definitely have less than 9 holes of play on them, some of them look like they've been hit maybe once. Super impressed and with the much faster shipping than lostgolfballs this should be my go to for balls now. Hopefully this 5 dozen lasts me a while though! I've never played Lethals before so I'm not sure how they hold up to cutting but we'll find out this weekend when I get out.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Booked a round Saturday at a course I've never played before. Country Club of Mount Dora, only 6500 from the tips, so tips it is on saturday! The weather here has been pretty much perfect lately so tee times were at a premium apparently as I had to go through almost 15 courses until I found a decent rate in the morning. Most courses were booked until noon or still wanted $60+ for a morning tee time.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Halo14 posted:

Well done, next stop even par :)

Saw this on Instagram, his first PGA Tour win was at the Shriners Open 1996:

Lookit that shirt that's like 5 sizes too big! Did we all dress like that 20 years ago?! Christ it's been almost 20 years since then. :magical:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Can we talk Masters tickets for a sec? I'd really love to take my dad next year, even if it's for one of the practice rounds. I entered the drawing and whatnot but for like the 5th straight year wasn't chosen. What's the best way to get 2 tickets and am I going to spend an arm and a leg? It's about a 5 hour drive for me so I figured me and dad could drive up the day before, catch a day of the tournament and maybe hit up one of the other local courses in the area the next day.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Halo14 posted:

Wow really? That's sad, I thought he might be back for his own tournament next month :(

He had another back surgery either last week or 2 weeks ago. I'm doubtful he'll be back before next summer at this point.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

So I got back from a work trip in Charleston last night. Played a few rounds in Kiawah over the last couple days..played pretty good too, was looking forward to playing on Sunday morning as well.

No such luck though, someone broke into my car last night and stole my golf clubs. Humans really are the scum of the earth. Funnily enough they went through all my poo poo throwing it everywhere in the car and didn't even steal a 200 dollar pair of bluetooth headphones I had in there which was the only other thing of value in my car.

Time to get new clubs, right guys? :argh:

Holy gently caress that sucks man :(

But yeah, time for some custom fitted clubs :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

But they were custom fitted and I just got them 2 months ago :(

Oh, that blows extra hard then, sorry man :(

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So, goddamn, close. Best round of the year for me! I know I left at least 3 shots on the course that could've gotten me to par or better. Love this course, haven't played it in about a year as they closed for around 6 months as the city took over the course and made a lot of improvements to it. It's in incredible shape now. Determined to shoot 72 or better before the years up, still have plenty of time to get out thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Had an awesome round on Turkey day with pops and my bro, it's kinda our annual tradition to get out before the craziness with food starts.

Best round of the year, again!

And this happened,

5 iron from 195, their signature hole, down hill par 3.

Divot inches from the cup and ball settled about a foot and a half. The closest I've come all year.

Why couldn't you go in your home ball!!

We also put an offer in on a house that it's backyard has an awesome view of the 17th green and 18th tee box of probably my favorite course in the area! Also within 10 minutes there are 3 other amazing courses. Crossed our fingers they accept our offer!