Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I've been thinking of getting back into golf lately, I played as a kid but was never any good. I don't know if I ever shot in the 90s even, I played mostly par 3 courses with my friends.

I was surprised in going to the range that I can at least hit the ball somewhat straight, just not very far. I don't think I carried my driver even 175 though it was hard to see where it was landing with respect to the markers. Next time I'll go to a range that has tracking or club head speed stuff.

Since my clubs are like 20 years old I'd probably want to buy some new clubs, definitely in the forgiveness category. My current irons are Clevelands from I think 1999, I don't remember because I got them second hand:

And the driver is this modestly sized Cobra from before things really got jumbo:

It seems like the best thing might be to sign up for a lesson or two and then see if I can get fitted for clubs after that.
Any advice on clubs to try?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

gvibes posted:

A little late response, but those are some solid sticks, I wouldn't be in a rush or anything.

Thanks, all the shafts are stiff flex which I thought might be too much for my presumably low swing speed. I'll get a lesson where they can measure that stuff and advise.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I feel pretty dejected after my golf lesson. It seems like my swing really needs work but I walked away with a dozen small tips rather than an idea of what to aim for and how to evaluate whether I am practicing correctly. Spent the full 30 minutes hitting a 7 iron which I can only get to carry about 85/90 yards.

If I understood correctly, the main problems are really coming from the outside in on swing path, and not getting much rotation on the hips (he showed me how far bent my right knee should be at impact.) The swing path thing I've known for a while but haven't figured out how to level it out.

It was cool to see myself on the trackman though, and have those videos saved to compare to in a few months or whatever.

If anyone has any tips or videos I'd appreciate it

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

xsf421 posted:

It might be worth finding someone new to take lessons from. It took me three tries to find an instructor I really clicked with. The main swing thought that took me from over the top and 8* out to in swing path to nice little baby draws was this: when you get to the top of your backswing, pretend there's a fishing line on the club head behind you, and you want to gently dip it in the water.

Thanks, I'll look for other options in the area while I practice this week.

Is the idea with that swing thought that the fishing line is slack and you are sort of casting it shallow in the water?

Kirios posted:

I hadn't played golf in a good month or so and happened to shoot a 39 over a 9 hole (shut up that's a good score for me!). Chipping wasn't great but I still routinely drove the ball 250+ and never 3 putted. My worst iron shot was still within the proper distance, just pulled a little bit. I still got up and down for par.

I am very happy that golf is becoming a "like riding a bicycle" moment for me. Even a terrible round for me is still within the mid 80's or so.

I think I may be a lifer in this dumb, way too expensive sport. God help me.

That's fantastic! That's like my dream lol

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Tiger hit a great putt on 17 to get one under and seems to be finishing at lot sharper than he looked in the middle

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

How do people feel about swing training tools? There seem to be some really common ones like the orange whip and speed ball.

I'm really struggling to feel what an inside out swing (or just even plane) is like, and if there's anything in the sub $50 range that's legit I would definitely try it.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

gvibes posted:

I do the one with the alignment stick, where you hold that with the club and try to keep it connected to your body. Helps with back swing path and also rotating through impact.

I don't know that one, is it a homemade thing or something you can buy?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

gvibes posted:

I can't find the exact video I was thinking of, but you see something like the second half of the video here on the take-away , or this one re impact .

At least it's helpful for me since I 1) tend to take away inside all the time and 2) don't really rotate hips through impact.

Yeah, 100%

These are great, thanks.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Played a nine-hole par 3 today and made par on four holes, with a few good one-putts. Way exceeded my expectations.

I wish I could drive farther than 180 yards(when it's not in the woods completely), so aside from practicing smooth swings without tension I'm looking at exercises I could do.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 26, 2023

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Rahm -3 through 3 holes :stare:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah +4 in the last 5 holes, one of which was double bogey into the water

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

xsf421 posted:

:toot:

Finally replacing my F9 I bought off the shelf years ago with something fit to me. Fitter quote: “I don’t get many requests for extra slicey drivers”

Nice! How did you like the 12 degree compared to 10.5? I'll hopefully get fit for a driver once I get my slice under better control but until I do I'm not sure what loft would be best at my low swing speed

I did get fitted for g425 irons which I'm very stoked about arriving in the next week or so

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

Scheffler is on fire!

and Rahm blew it, that was wild

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/PGATOURLIVE/status/1633834401611259904

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Man, I've been improving a lot on the range but my back muscles get knots in the instantly. It's not exactly that I'm throwing my back out, the muscles just get very tense near the shoulder blades.

Anyone know good pre or post golf stretching exercises for this area?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Halo14 posted:

Buy a set of Power bands and use them every day. I go to the gym regularly and always do stretches with those. Cheap and very versatile as you can use them anywhere.

https://youtu.be/bcwdonkWbik

I do variations of the stuff in that video. Rows and face pulls are excellent for shoulder and back strength/flexibility.

This is perfect thanks!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I wasn't around for the square groove rule change and obviously it wasn't a bifurcation, but how was that received at the time?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I got my g425 irons and love them. Setting up at address is a little strange because the blade length is a lot longer than my older tour-style TA3s that I was not nearly good enough for. But even off center contact feels great, and the fitting of an upright lie has been helping. Looking forward to dialing them in.

Not sure yet how I feel about the longer shaft lengths. These are +1" and I'm pretty tall, but it's hard to get used to. I may experiment with choking down a half inch or so.

Also I tried a g425 hybrid and god drat those are magical. I hit the 3H straighter than my long irons or fairway woods, and probably about as far as the 5 wood I have. Picked that up and will try to resist spending more right away on the 4H (and 2H, and so on...)

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I don't know, if they had bifurcation and sold nonconforming hot-faced drivers without the 1.5 smash factor limit, I'd feel completely fine playing one even if the pros couldn't.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

In the WGC match play I'm laughing at these guys going for the green on a 310 yard par 4 that has a spectator stand placed like a backboard in basketball. They are just bouncing off that thing onto the green lol.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah this is my first time watching it and it's really cool, more match play events would be awesome

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

god drat

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

so sick

kind of funny too that Rory said earlier this week he supports bifurcation

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 24, 2023

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

mdemone posted:

Are those things currently regulated for tour drivers?

I believe that off-center forgiveness is highly correlated with the MOI which is capped at 5900. In the No Laying Up interview with the USGA guy he said that they considered regulations on the driver instead but found that they would have to extend those to fairway woods/hybrids and so are targeting the ball because it's simpler.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Some tense matches in the round of 16, Scheffler was down again Poston but now going to extra holes. oops Poston missed his par putt and Scheffler advances

Rory 1 up at 16 but struggling on the last few holes.

Homa eliminated which I'm sad about!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Both underdogs won their matches with late comebacks. Going to be Sam Burns vs. Cam Young in the final. Young with a slight edge. I personally think Burns is looking sharper right now.

Burns was playing lights out, especially his putting. Really good stuff.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

It's sad how the ESPN+ tournament coverage is super good with multiple featured groups, usually with the leaders on day 2, but then on the weekend they can't follow the leaders because the lovely NBC coverage takes over. And the NBC coverage is impossible to follow because they don't put a little chyron on screen about who the player is, what position they're at and what shot they are hitting.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

As a terrible golfer I lost 3 balls on my first 18 holes of the year and felt glad it wasn't double that. But I also play $1 balls

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Glad to see Max finish under part but man, it's going to be tough catching those three leaders if the conditions turn to poo poo

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

It works decently well, I've had bugs where I couldn't watch the most recent shot and it would jump to the leaderboard.

I think it was the players maybe where ESPN+ just have a feed for every group on Thursday/Friday, that was amazing.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm enjoying the duo-team format of the Zurich Classic. Best ball on days 1 and 3, alternating shots on 2 and 4. Matt Fitzpatrick brought his brother Alex and they are playing pretty well, Alex has some really pretty chipping around the green.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Different sort of witb:

My buddy is getting into golf this season and I'm helping build him a bag from the cheapest deals I can find on relatively modern equipment.

Callaway Great Big Bertha Epic 10.5 + 2 degrees - R flex
Callaway Big Bertha - 3 hybrid
Callaway Big Bertha - 4 hybrid - might adjust the lofts up on these and remove the 5 iron depending on how far he hits that
Ping g20- 5i through SW
Odyssey white hot 7 putter

I don't think he needs a smaller player's wedge for now but maybe I can find a cheap one and see if he likes it.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

Golf trip tomorrow through Thursday, should be a good time. The mild winter and heat we've had in NY has resulted in my home course already being in pretty great condition so I've been able to play a lot and get the game together pretty early.

Also I might be a bit biased as a Bills fan but this is one of the better golf youtube vids I've seen in quite a while:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfSx_CSXNmY

as they started getting drunk I expected a lot of things but definitely not fat perez pissing himself lol

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

daslog posted:

3 leave the driver at home until you can hit it in play 9 out of 10 times.

I think I need to start following this. I was hitting my 3 hybrid 190 and straight down the middle today, driver at 210 and once OoB, twice in the trees, and once in the rough.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I did a free trial of Golfshot for their auto tracking using the apple watch to detect swings and it's so inconsistent I don't think I'll keep it. I think I'll stick with Grint manual tracking until they come out with an auto feature, and hopefully it's more robust then Golfshot.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

Every part of my game is clicking right now except irons and putting. I have a hell of a stroke, but these greens are ridiculously tricky. I just ordered the irons I've always wanted since I was a kid. Copper Beryllum Ping Eye 2's with stock stiff steel shafts and good old fashioned Crossline grips.

Red dots standard length. I'm loving stoked. I could get $500 for my apexes, but may be able to private sale for 1k...maybe? Not sure what to do there, but I'm loving PUMPED about those babies.

that was my dream set as a kid too!

i'm loving the wells fargo, quail hollow seems like such a cool course

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 4, 2023

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm in a weird spot with my game right now where I'm actually playing pretty well except like one out of every 5 shots is super thick. Like 1 or 2 inches behind the ball and I already swing pretty steep so it's a huge divot and the ball goes maybe 30 yards. When I do make proper contact my short irons are pretty good, and I've made a couple birdies in the last two rounds which is unheard of for me.

But it's been so bad that in the last round I was getting some right hand wrist pain. I feel like I need to work on this only for a while.

Unfortunately I can only practice off range mats which hide fat shots. There are various things I've been trying like putting a towel a few inches behind the ball and focusing on the ground contact, but of course when I get hyper focused on the ground then I lose my other swing thought that has been working so well recently.

I'm wondering if anyone has advice. I've been looking at Adam Young's drills and advice since he's much more external task focused rather changing swing technique and seeing what shakes out.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I've been enjoying Adam Young's content as far as game improvement drills and stuff to work on. I heard him on chasing scratch talking about the nail drill and it's been really successful for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JANBy-b_sAE

Other things like practicing deliberately hitting the ball on the heel 10 times, then the toe 10 times, and seeing how both feel have improved my clubface control a lot.
Now I'm just trying to find a good way to see ground strike location on range mats.

I still want to make macro changes to my swing but might wait until the off season to do anything major.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

gvibes posted:

So I played my first kind of round in my plan to get back into golf, and it went ridiculously well. Hit zero fairways but my irons were ridiculous. And every driver miss was exactly the same so I feel like that is close. Only got to play 10 holes but I was six over. For reference, I haven’t broken 90 since the 2000s and my best round in the last ten years was like 98. If you have the means to pick up a simulator and a couple skillest lessons I highly recommend it!

That's awesome!

Things were improving for me a lot with reducing my three putts and keeping the ball in play more, though a burn on my hand is interrupting things a bit. Super excited to get back out there