Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I've been trying to find a course in the Lakewood/Golden Colorado area with a reasonable pace of play. Fossil Trace is nice, well maintained and pretty, but 4:45 is expected, and 5 is not unusual, and the marshals just don't care if the 4 ball in front of you has two open holes in front of them. Fox Hollow, 4:40 is the expected pace of play, and not unusual to push 4:50-5. And, during the week, nothing but retirees, "the men's group" and "the women's group" clogging the course with no recourse. Homestead is ok, but so short and par 65, and features, you guessed it, a men's group and a women's group that are immune to pace of play concerns.

Evergreen golf course (I live in Evergreen) is a joke, greens are terrible, no hole where you can hit driver, 4 driveable par 4s with my 3 wood.

Any Denver area golfers with some suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

We had a mess yesterday at our club because 16 people came in from a neighboring club (their course was covered all day for some big event), and they sent at least half of them off in just pairs :psyduck:

I swear to god if there's a bigger killer of this drat game than pace of play, I don't know what it is. Stop looking over every putt like it's Sunday at the loving Masters. Stop taking 4 practice swings. You don't have to run up to your ball as soon as you hit it but goddamn, it is really not that hard to play "ready golf".

I play alone, so I'm a single getting with 3 balls or two balls. Sometimes, my partners only play 9, and the course makes me go out on the back alone. Behind stacked up foursomes. I have frequently joined a foursomes to make a 5 ball because it helps the pace. I was in a foursome behind 4 two balls. 4. I asked the starter why they didn't join them up to make 2 foursomes, and he said, "they booked a two ball, we're not going to make them play as a foursome." Really?

Pace of play is my number one problem with my local tracks. If you have an expected pace of play of 4:40, people will play 4:50. None of these courses should be higher than 4 or 4:10.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
For twenty years, I played with the same guy. For the last 8 before I moved to Colorado in 2014, we had the same 4 ball every weekend. Going off first, we could play a decently tough 18 in 3 hours.

Now, I play as a single, hooking up with random joes every round. It's killing me. I run into every bad habit in the book, and just smile, and throw them another ball.

"You've played here before, right? What's good here?" Well, you really only need to hit about 200 from the tee, because it leaves a full wedge in, and longer brings in the water and a bunker." "Ok, I'm hitting driver here." Ahhhhhhhhhh.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Furnaceface posted:

Also I played in the rain today. Never again. Im a fair weather golfer and gently caress anyone that has a problem with it. :colbert:

There is no weather that isn't golf weather. I've played in snow, hail, rain, 40 mph winds, cold, hot. It's all golf weather. If the course is open, I'm playing.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I dropped to a Taylormade SLDR and went from ~30% fairways to 80%. Gave up around 10 yards, but I really, really don't miss it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

That's interesting since SLDRs are notoriously unforgiving. Something about it must suit your swing.

DJ has pulled out of the Olympics now, that's a shame. Can't really blame all these top guys but it's lame that the first Olympic Golf in like a century is going to be missing so many stars.

I find the shorter shaft and heavier head make up for the less forgiving sweet spot. It's all about where your screw up lies. I used to hit 3 wood off the tee if I was having a bad day, and this sort of grooves into that.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dimebag posted:

I actually just found a place online that does this. AA condition premiums for about $20/doz and AAA for about $30/doz. They also do 5 dozen AAA pro V1 for $150 which is a super price so I might do that and never worry again.

Quick edit: I found a version of lostgolfballs for Australia and picked up 50 refurbed near mint Pro V1s for $60AU so even if it doesn't work out I'm not too badly off as I can use them for chipping work or smash them into the lake out the back of my house.

Careful with refurbs. Check their reviews. Some do painting over older balls that can disguise a pretty abused older ball or waterlogged ball. Better off with xxx outs or practice balls.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kameh posted:

If you want to learn how to hit shots, watch the Champions Tour, especially the Champions Learning Center. They'll talk about every type of shot and how to execute it.

If you want to learn how to play your best on a course, watch the LPGA tour. They'll plot their way around a course and make club selections that would be familiar to 95% of the amateurs in the game.

If you want to feel emasculated, watch the PGA Tour. They'll hit scoring irons when you'd be hitting hybrids.

Played with 2 guys who had never played the course. Really nice GPS in the carts that lets you touch screen for distances, and gives flyovers. They never did that. Hit driver on every par 4 and 5, tried to reach every par 5 in 2, and as a consequence had several double digit holes that are easy pars/birdie holes. 65+ year old with me asked me, or looked at GPS, played a really solid round with a nice string of pars in the middle. His drives were 70+ yards shorter than theirs, his putting was about like theirs, his shots to the green were no better, but he was never in trouble. It was fun to watch as they got angrier and angrier.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

thebushcommander posted:

Most fun part of my Friday other than not having to work was watching my handicap drop from a 7.6 to a 4.8 after a pretty lights out round of 78 where I managed 69% FIR, 59% GIR, with a accuracy off the tee of 89% total with 100% par3s hit. Also 36 putts (I 2 putt every god drat hole) because they just aerated and didn't tell me on the phone when i booked and nothing was rolling true, but also surprisingly fast. Also, screw golfshot for tracking... I started using 'The Grint' a couple months ago and it's pretty great. Also the handicap is provided by the grint app which is apparently USGA regulation or whatever

Thanks for this. I just loaded TheGrint app, and it looks pretty good. Hopefully get to get a couple of rounds in next week and add a few scores.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Man, yesterday was brutal. Missed the first 5 greens, but never more than 10 feet, and always pin side, so just really tough pitch shots in. One 1 putt all day, but no 3 putts, so I guess it was ok. Hate to hit the ball well and just keep bogeying every hole. One birdie on a terrible shot into the green. From 150, hit a thin shot to 10 inches for my only 1 putt. Drives were long, where I aimed them, but straight when I was playing for a draw, and drawing when I was playing for them to be straight. Frustrating.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Halo14 posted:

Haha, I'm definitely not playing you for money then!

I just have no use for hybrids or 3/5 woods as I'm too inconsistent with them.

That's golf. My 5 wood is my go to off the tee if I have to be in the fairway. Reliably 250 or so (I play at 7000 feet). I can hit a 1i or 2i, but just without consistency.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I laugh at people who lie to make their handicap lower. They're only hurting themselves, and on the rare occasion a handicap is needed, they're screwed. I played with a guy for years in our foursome who would play 84/85 on a par 72 any week where he wasn't in an match, and 78/79 any week he was in a match. Kept his handicap manageable. Of course, he was also a cheater in other ways, and a prick, so no surprise. He was one of those guys that playing well and beating you when you're playing well is not as fun as doing little things to ensure you played poorly. Coughing, dropping keys/clubs in backswing, walking in your line of sight just before you hit/putt. Saw him take a drop out of really tight rough, figured it was unplayable, but he recorded a literally impossible par three strokes later.

He was a 5-7 handicapper, could have won easily in most of our casual betting/club tournies, but he always did the little crap.

Josh Lyman posted:

Oh, that's probably just a pace of play thing then. Lots of people will just drop in the general area if they can't find a ball.

Yeah, so long as he's not recording score for handicap or tournament play. Or in a match.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Colorado golf. 91 yesterday, but 20% humidity. Any shade, and it was just fine.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ironlung posted:

I'm in the mountains, subtract at least 10 off that temp. Best place on earth for golf this time of year. I have no clue how you guys can play in 90+ heat/70+ humidity while getting eaten alive by insects... you're better men than I.

This was down in Lakewood, which is still ~7000 feet.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
You're right, it's just under 5600. I guess I hadn't realized I was coming down so far from Evergreen.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DoctaFun posted:

Is this like, "I mishit my second shot so now I'm 50 yards away from the green in the rough", or is this, "I hit driver, 5 iron on a par 5 to 50 yards" or "I hit driver off the tee and am now 60 yards from the green".

If it's the first one that's cool, if it's the other two then you might want to work on course management. Most people(pros included) will avoid the 30-50 yard range because it's tough to get a lot of spin from that distance and it can make for some difficult approach/pitch shots, especially on firm greens or tight pins.

Well, I mean pros can still get a lot of spin because they are ungodly good ball strikers, but they still have trouble yardages they avoid. Think holes 13 and 15 at Augusta, if they aren't going for the green in two, they are normally laying back to a comfortable wedge range(maybe more like 70-90 yards), you don't usually see them laying up all the way to the edge of the water on either hole(I guess 15 obviously because it slopes down towards the water I think).

So, if that's the case, find a wedge or something and practice your full and 3/4 shots until your really comfortable from some yardage, for me it's like 100-115 yards, that's perfect lob wedge range for me. Knowing that, I try to hit a tee shot or layup or what have you so that it leaves me ~100-115 yards into the green. So find that magic number and try to get yourself there as many times as possible during your round.

I do realize though, that it's impossible to completely remove that yardage from the game, so it's still great to practice so that you're at least confident in getting the ball on the green from there.

This. Practicing putting and chipping lowers scores, and everyone should do it. Course management is as important, I think. On par 5's I cannot reach, I've been teased about laying up to 110, my favorite yardage into the green. Sure, I can get to 45 yards, maybe even 25, maybe even reach the protected green, but why would I do that? Why hit driver/half wedge when I can hit 5 wood/wedge and be in the middle of the fairway in each of those shots, with good position to the pin, rather than rough/sand/trying to hit half wedge through a tree.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

sarehu posted:

Except for very specific situations this isn't the right way to play at all. You're much better off being closer to the green, even more so as a high handicapper. And if you remember Woods on 15 or Norman on 13 at Augusta, they played their third shots from close in.

Close to be close is a mistake. A full wedge out is better than a half wedge for most golfers. Yeah, 10' off the green is better than 100 yards, but 100 yards is generally a more manageable distance than 60 yards, and it makes sense to set up your shot accordingly.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

sarehu posted:

This is dead wrong. You can look at pro golf stats or your own game. Thirty or sixty yards out you'll hit it closer to the hole than a hundred, even from the rough vs. from the fairway. If you're bad at golf you'll get fewer wild misses, you'll be on the green more often, closer to the hole, and with a lower score. If you're a pro, likewise. You might feel worse about your misses when you're closer but they're still better than where you'd be with a full wedge.

No, I can look at my own game and see that if I play to a comfortable distance, I generally par, and bring birdie in play. If I play to just hit as close as possible, I bring bogey in play, and sometimes par.

If you think Mickelson looks at that yardage book and thinks, "well, I'll just hit it as close to the green as possible," you're wrong. Approach angle, lie, and yardage are all considerations, and just closest isn't in the equation.

Look at it this way: Par 5, 630 yards. I cannot reach in 2. I can hit driver/3 wood and be inside 100 yards, but also am hitting 3 wood off the deck. I can hit driver/hybrid and be at 125. It's always driver/hybrid. I'm more accurate with my wedge at 125 than I am with my lob wedge at 80, and I'm MUCH more likely to be at the right angle hitting that hybrid than the 3 wood.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

sarehu posted:

This is dead wrong. You can look at pro golf stats or your own game. Thirty or sixty yards out you'll hit it closer to the hole than a hundred, even from the rough vs. from the fairway. If you're bad at golf you'll get fewer wild misses, you'll be on the green more often, closer to the hole, and with a lower score. If you're a pro, likewise. You might feel worse about your misses when you're closer but they're still better than where you'd be with a full wedge.

http://www.pga.com/golf-instruction/lesson-learned/off-tee/lesson-learned-be-bold-and-lay

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/harmon_gd0710

quote:

Most golfers are better with a full wedge than from 30 to 50 yards.

But see, e.g.: http://www.golfdigest.com/story/jb-holmes-shouldnt-have-laid-u

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 28, 2016

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

Every Shot Counts by Mark Broadie, the guy who created the Strokes-Gained stats, claims the opposite according to data from tens of thousands of tracked rounds by pros and amateurs. The numbers show that driver is pretty much always the best play off the tee unless it's significantly more likely to cause a penalty somehow, and the extra yards result in lower average scores even if you miss the fairway.

I think there's more to it than that (and he acknowledges there are caveats and exceptions in the book) but it's hard to argue with the numbers especially now that Strokes-Gained has shown to be a better indicator of scoring than the traditional stats.

And none of your three links are really talking about the same thing as this thread anyways as far as I can tell.

Well, they're talking about exactly my point, we may be talking past each other.

However, driver off tee is certainly not best for most amateurs. A regular, 370 yard par 4, assuming I hit both driver or 5w perfect, I can be 70 yards out or 120. Your position is, it's always better to go for 70, even if that means hitting from rough vs fairway. That ignores that I'll hit the driver with less accuracy, which means more shots from rough or unfavorable lies/angles than the 5w. So, even if your thesis is true, that a 70 yard shot is more accurate than a 120 (it isn't for me, and I think many others), it fails to factor the times you'll have no shot to the green because of trees/lie, etc...which will happen much less with the 5w. How many times will I gain a shot from 70 in the rough versus 120 middle fairway? Even excellent players are going to gain less than a stroke on average, but my personal experience is that the less favorable angle/lie is going to lose me a shot more often than the distance gains one. Which discounts, again, that I'll hit my 120 club more consistently than the 70.

My bottom line is, most players are better served playing to a distance at which they are comfortable with the shot than simply trying to get closer and putting themselves at awkward distances.

Real world example: This is Fossil Trace number 10. 333 yard par 4, reachable from the elevated tee. I hit 6 or 7 iron from the tips, and gap wedge to green. Many players either go for it, or hit driver/3w down the fairway. Going for it has an obvious risk/reward. You have to carry 280 plus to be safe, 300 to have a realistic shot of staying on the green.

Hitting up the fairway gains incremental distance. I hit to 120 yards, leaves me a great angle up with the green's length moving away from me. I average just under par here. Guys who hit perfect 3w down the middle have 65 yards in, and are hitting across the length of this green. I think you'd agree I'm more likely to hit my 7 iron to where I want it than they are their 3w, right?

https://youtu.be/MkkOCQN0FFo
http://imgur.com/a/gXoRN

sarehu posted:

If your lob wedge is worse than a pitching wedge you need to get your clubs adjusted, it doesn't fit you. But it's probably not, it just feels worse when you have an equal miss.

Actual data shows that pros and amateurs are better off from closer distances instead of full wedge distances. They're better off laying up closer if they can. Obviously the right distance is often one with less trouble. If you don't think so, I recommend tracking your average score from 125 yards out, 100 yards out, 75 yards out, etc.

Let's say you're correct, that a full lob wedge is more accurate than a gap wedge (you really don't think people have clubs that are their go to, most accurate? I disagree, but it does illuminate the discussion). Do you contend a half wedge is consistently more accurate than a full swing? Because your thesis leaves a lot of less than full shots since you're playing for pure length.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 28, 2016

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

sarehu posted:

Yes. This is a 100% known fact for pro golfers when they choose to put themselves in the situation, it's also a 100% known fact for me, a 10 hcp golfer that doesn't practice the shot, and I'm happy to bet it's true for you. Also you're better from 70 yards in the rough than 125 from the fairway. (But not if you're behind a tree.)

On that hole if you could hit from closer "for free" instead of having substantially increased chance of hitting in the water, it would be in your interest to do so.

Also, if you're hitting a wedge into a hole like that, there's no real benefit of having a certain angle, unless you really do miss long/short more than left/right.

This disagrees with your fairway/rough analysis: http://www.columbia.edu/~mnb2/broadie/Assets/strokes_gained_pga_broadie_20110408.pdf#page=31

I'm reading on the rest of the analytics now. They of course suffer from the problem of all statistics. If 90 golfers are better at 100 yards than 120, it doesn't make the 10 that are better at 120 any better at 100. I'm always willing to experiment on the course, though, since I'm only restarting my handicap out of curiosity, not because it matters. I'll alter a few of my holes to see if the closer distance has any impact, good or bad, and see. I record my stats pretty well, but I'll have to add distance of approach to track this. We'll see.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

sarehu posted:

2.93 vs 2.86 if you're in a PGA event. The rough is friendlier on most courses, and most golfers have more self-induced inaccuracy so I think that'll overcome the 0.07 stroke gap. It's bogeying and double bogeying from that distance that'll get people like me, not an inability to get up and down from that distance.

Yes, at best it's a push, as opposed to a clear benefit to being closer. Yeah, it's tough to break out the impact on amateurs, not just because the rough might be worse. 3 strokes from that distance should be pretty routine for a 10 handicap. After all, you've really put yourself in ideal regulation par play. Assuming you're lying one at a par 4, 2 at a 5, that is.

The links to the other analytics articles are dead, so I'm digging around. This is interesting, but goes against my own experience (at least as you've described it). Like I said, I'll start tracking approach distances and see how it tracks out.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

The course I play most often. I tried to get out there today, but played Fox Hollow instead.

That's the 18th fairway, by the green. The commentary says the group behind hit into the group ahead. What assholes, the big fat guy in blue was being an rear end, too.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

sarehu posted:

2.93 vs 2.86 if you're in a PGA event. The rough is friendlier on most courses, and most golfers have more self-induced inaccuracy so I think that'll overcome the 0.07 stroke gap. It's bogeying and double bogeying from that distance that'll get people like me, not an inability to get up and down from that distance.

Two rounds so far, some interesting data. First, I'm missing a lot of fairways I routinely hit changing from 5w to driver. Second, mostly, the rough isn't that big a deal on the shot, but it is making the distance advantage of the driver less just due to the lack of roll out. Third, I'm more accurate with the lob wedge than I figured, but not more so than a full gap wedge. Lack of practice, I'm sure. I'm spending some range time on that.

The holes I routinely hit 5W off the tee, with driver it's a psychological issue to be in a less advantageous line AND with a less comfortable club. I'll get over that. I suspect that I'll find the middle ground where I'll still hit the far more accurate club off the tee and give up some distance if it still leaves me with a wedge in. It may be possible that a half lob is somewhat more accurate than a full gap, but I'm not sure it can overcome the relative certainty of good line/lie.

Going to keep tracking, but not force myself into those situations so much next couple of weeks.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Of course, it has to come in a way that he still has no chance to win. Too bad, he is and always has been a class act.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Man, I was happy with my 80 today, and then saw Kameh's round(s).

I gotta say, I could easily have shot a 75 today. I had no real looks at birdie all day, but was making really good putts from all distances. I had 30 putts, which I needed since I only hit 7 of 18 greens. Some of that was a good thing, though, since I was consistently out-hitting my average distances with my irons, and so missed long on 4 of those greens. I was also chipping from around the green much better than normal, so I had 3 one putts inside a foot. Disconcerting on one hole to hit what I thought was a perfect approach to an elevated green, repairing my ball mark 1 foot in front of the hole, and then having to attempt my 30' downhill putt.

Of course, the problem is, my handicap is going to be way too low for my consistent game. I know that's how it's supposed to work, but I feel like I'm more of a 10/11 and I'm sitting at 7.6 right now.

(edit) Oh, 6577 yards, 71.4/136.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dangling pointer posted:

I was talking to the vp where I work today. He's a big golfer and when he travels internationally he always brings his clubs. He said that when he golfed in India they ask you if want a "jamboy" - you pay $10 to have a kid that smears jam all over himself and follows you around to attract flies because the flies are so bad. He said no at first then after 2 holes did it. I can't decide if he was messing with me.

Does anyone have any experiences with jam boys. I won't kink shame

No, but when I played in Pakistan, we had to have caddies (three were local pros, mine was my driver's nephew, because I was in charge and they wanted to take special care of me. He had never played golf), and a forecaddy. Now, I like having a forecaddy, you don't lose balls that way. In this case, his primary job was to beat the tall grass near you to drive away venomous snakes, like, no poo poo, cobra's. You were NOT to walk into tall grass without him going first.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dangling pointer posted:

My question is if your forecaddy gets bit by a venomous snake looking for your Pro V you sliced the poo poo out of do they just cart him away and bring in another guy and you continue the round. Crazy!

Anyone else have weird golfing stories abroad. I've never played outside the US, it's interesting to hear.

It was more poignant because he was about 12. We tipped well, as I suspect all foreigners from wealthier countries do.

Nice course. Each hole had a different man with a hose who hand watered the greens. He sat in the shade and had a schedule of when to drench the green. Labor costs are so low it's much cheaper than installing a sprinkler system.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

daslog posted:

It's back to the drawing board for me. Too many 3 putts, too many bad pitches, and too many bad 4 hybrids. At this point, I've lost all confidence in putting and the hybrids. Going to reboot on the putting form (it's bad) and I don't know what to do about the long irons/hyrbids. I just don't have any confidence in the swing which results in all kinds of bad things happening.

I also have a bad attitude when things go really bad. I'm still pissed out my golf this week and I'm still convinced that unless you are a natural, Golf isn't a sport that you can just pick up and be good at when you start later in life.

I recently changed my putting grip to the claw. I was pleasantly surprised at how confident my putting became. I used to hate 3-6 foot putts. I toe putted for two years at anything under 8 feet, I was so bad. Changed to the claw and had to relearn long putts, but up to 10 feet, I feel like I can hit them all.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 17, 2016

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

daslog posted:

I think this means that I should take the 4,5, and 6 out of my bag until I can hit 9 out of 10 every time. Thoughts?

So, you'll just never golf again?

Seriously, if you only use clubs/attempt shots that have a 90% success, you'll be making 4' putts all the way to the green.

What do you do when you are 4 hybrid distance and your choice is 3 wood or 7 iron? You may have only a 40% chance of hitting the target with the hybrid, but you have zero with the 7 iron.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

daslog posted:

Thanks for the feedback. What I want to avoid is hitting a lovely 4 hybrid that costs me additional strokes when I loving it up.

For example, hitting driver, 7 iron, 7 iron, chip, and putting on a par 5 is better than driver, 4 hybrid, drop for out of bounds, 8 iron, chip and putting.

Those shots I missed with the long irons would have been in the woods.

Yeah, you need to limit your exposure, not eliminate the club. There will be times when a bad 4 hybrid will still get you close enough for the shot into the green like the 7 iron wood. When it exposes you to hazards/OB, sure, you stay away. But hitting it in game situations is a good thing for you to practice, not just the range.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Summit posted:

I'm a newb like you so take this with a grain of salt but I would advise the opposite. I always use the appropriate club for the shot because I want the in-game exposure to everything in my bag. I used to feel intimidated by anything with less loft than a 6 iron which is a terrible way to start a golf swing. Granted it was challenging at first but now that I've hit some decent shots with those clubs I have a lot more confidence selecting them. Doesn't always work out but at least if you've had exposure to those clubs you can blame it on not executing your swing plan vs. dreading the club. Nothing sabotages my swing quite like low confidence before I even step up to the ball.

---

Anyone got some advice for getting good with the driver? It feels like the weakest part of my game right now. I'm typically driving around 210-230 on my straight drives which is pitifully low considering I'm only 29. Granted there's not a ton of roll where I live and it's been wet but I know I'm leaving 20-30 yards easily in just how I strike. Ball flight is way lower than it ought to be. I hit my irons nice and high but the driver I get a very penetrating ball flight. I don't know if I should be setting up differently or what. It feels comfortable to move the ball up slightly (off left toe vs left ear on irons) but beyond that I'm trying to swing the same swing. Maybe I just need more time with it. I'm using a beginner friendly Ping 10.5 driver so equipment certainly isn't the problem.

Very basic tip on driver versus iron: http://www.golftipsmag.com/instruction/driving/impact-driver-vs-iron/

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

Let me preface my trip report with a few comments on travel. If you're going to the UK (or really, most places in Europe) from the USA, you're likely going through one of 3 airports: Heathrow in London, Charles de Gaulle in Paris, or Amsterdam Schiphol. I cannot recommend enough you go to Amsterdam if you have a choice. It's 7 hours from Detroit, and is far and away the best of the 3. Heathrow is largely hit and miss (and super busy, to be fair), and unless you're travelling to Paris, you're really best avoiding CDG. Until recently, your main (only?) option for flying into Scotland was to go into Edinburgh, which is a decent airport but puts you a good 3+ hour drive from the Highlands. Just a few months ago, the airport in Inverness expanded and now will accept international flights. You can get here from Amsterdam on KLM's "cityhopper" line in about 90 minutes. For the record, Amsterdam to Edinburgh is about an hour.

My Sun Mountain Clubglider has hauled my bag to and around Europe 3 times, Hawaii once, California once, and Florida several times over the 5+ years I've owned it and it is still going strong. It hasn't needed any repairs, has suffered no rips or damage, and has kept the clubs and bags its held in great shape. The legs that kick out from the bag and hold it up make it amazingly easy to get around an airport. Very much worth the investment.

What photo gear did you drag along?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Taking my 4 iron out of the bag. I haven't hit it in a round in months. Replacing it with my 4th wedge. I'll have driver, 3W, 5W, 3 hybrid, 5-9, PW (46 degrees), 50 degree wedge, 54 degree wedge, 58 degree wedge and putter.

The gap between my PW and my 50 degree wedge was already largish, 150 yards to 125 yards. From my 50 degree to my 58 was 125 to 95. I'm hoping to be able to stop manipulating my 50 degree wedge (my most consistent club) so much.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Summit posted:

On a related note I've had two times when I wanted to let a single play through but both times as they nearly caught up to me/my group they started playing extra balls, looking in the woods for balls, and just generally loving around so there was not a smooth opportunity to let them tee off ahead. Hopefully they were just out for a relaxing round and didn't care.

As a frequent single (the three ball I get hooked up with has played only 9 three weeks in a row), I appreciate the effort. If I see the 4 ball in front of me has another 4 in front of them, there's really no where to go, I'll start playing two balls, and spend 5 minutes putting on the green I just played to kill time/stay loose.

Theoretically, I shouldn't record those rounds for handicap, but I do. I always play my second ball second, no matter where it is, and putt out my "real" ball before putting the other ball at all.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BCRock posted:

FYI, rounds that you play alone aren't eligible for handicap posting as of this year.

http://www.usga.org/articles/2015/11/2016-handicap-changes--playing-alone.html

Yeah, I know. Don't care that much. I'm not having my partners co-sign my rounds anyway, so the difference is theoretical at best. I hate adding 9 hole rounds, so I just add them all. But, if I played 18 alone, I wouldn't add it for handicap, because like others, I'd not play for score, but to test stuff.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

So I had a pretty awesome round on Saturday. In fact it was my personal best at this course and just an all around great round. The only thing that prevented me from scoring lower was the greens were about 3 weeks or so into being punched/sanded and there was still craters and lots of sand on them basically not allowing any smooth rolling putts. I was hitting my driver better than any other round this year, playing my, what everyone who plays with me, calls a power fade perfectly. I really only had one hole where I had a bad drive and a difficult 2nd shot but was still able to get up and down for par. I think if the greens had been rolling smoother, I had 3 or 4 putts that either stopped on the lip or rolled just by that probably would've fallen. All in all a pretty awesome day.

Also, has anyone used the Vice (http://www.vicegolf.com/us2/) balls yet? I found a brand new pro neon last week in some rough last week and decided to try it out for this round. I must say, I'm super impressed with this ball. Around the green it has an incredible amount of spin, I've been using nike rzn whites and I've been having trouble getting them to stop and spin, but these Vice balls spin like crazy. Supposedly they are comparable to Pro V1s and I believe it. I might have to order a box and play with them some more to really test them out, but I used the same ball all round for the above round and it did great. It's pretty tore up and there's no way I could use it for another round, and, I probably should have switched it out half way through this one because it started to get pretty cut up, but I didn't want to change anything at that point.

Vice are pretty good. But, a single dozen isn't a good bargain. Their deal is, they heavily discount as the order grows. So,, a dozen will be not that much cheaper than other premium balls. Three dozen and up, much much cheaper. You can order a sampler dozen which has a sleeve of each of their 4 types for a decent price, but you're only getting one sleeve of their top ball.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Played a course I'd never played before yesterday, Riverdale Dunes, out near the Denver Airport. Nice layout around some water, good condition, but they had punched their greens and not sanded well (and neither posted it on their website, nor changed their pricing). Our 4 ball easily had 15-20 putts that "wandered" out of line and missed. The longest putt made was a 6 footer. It was maddening to play well, stand over a 12 foot birdie putt and know it was just not going to drop. I played a 500 yard par 5 perfectly, 280 drive, hybrid to 8 feet, and watched the eagle putt hop it's way sideways to miss. The really sad thing was how beautiful their putting green was in practicing before the round. Really raised expectations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

pmac posted:

Another Denver golf goon checking in. I played Riverdale Dunes on the same day! I was also disappointed that I made the 30-minute drive to play greens that were punched a couple days before. I had played it the previous weekend and loved the course. I didn't find out about the aeration until paying at the golf shop where they had a little sign taped to the front desk. Let me know if you'd be down to get a round in some time.

I played in my last tournament of the season Monday and Tuesday and missed the cut. Really struggled on day 1 with a few blow-up holes. Came back day 2 and had it +1 thru 6 after making eagle on a driveable par 4 (my dumb rear end forgot to buy in to the side-pot skins, it would've been worth ~$800). Proceeded to triple the par-5 7th, double the par-3 8th and bogey the par-4 9th. Then I shot even-par 36 on my last nine to shoot 79. I also landed one in the hole (destroyed the side of the cup) on a 190-yard par 3 that ricocheted off the pin to 50-feet. Fun game.

Where do you normally play? I play the Lakewood/Golden area most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Unknownmass posted:

I could also use good suggestions down there. Played Indian Trace in Arvada a few weeks ago and was a nice course for the price. Set up was a bit confusing though.

I play Fossil Trace (Golden, love the course, somewhat expensive, slow), Fox Hollow (Lakewood, like the courses, good condition, slow), Homestead (Lakewood, great condition, tricky, but short and par 65). Occasionally, my hometown course of Evergreen, but it's always in terrible condition.