Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

HELP!

I have the driver shanks. I'm either hitting a screaming 150 yard duck hook or stone cold topping the ball off the tee.

No pictures or videos unfortunately but I think a lot of it may be due to grip pressure and alignment. Either way it's frustrating the hell out of me. I'm hitting my irons better than I ever have and someone put magic in my putter recently but it's no good when I'm hitting a nice iron shot onto the green to try and save bogey or worse. I shot a 98 a couple weeks ago with zero fairways hit and 26 putts to put it into perspective.

I'm going to hit the range today and see if I can tweak some things but if anyone has any advice that'd be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Progress was made today lads, I'm feeling optimistic.

Softening my grip and working on my takeaway and slowing down my backswing really helped.

The biggest thing I was doing, and I'm not sure why I hadn't noticed it before, was that I was turning my left forearm to the left(if the correct grip was to hold your left hand out and make a thumbs up my thumb was pointing about 60* left) at address which drastically closed the club face. I'm not sure how or why I started doing that but it immediately made a huge difference. Still a lot of work to be done but I'm feeling good about putting a few in the short grass when I play tomorrow.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kameh posted:

Also DAMNIT SERGIO.

Typical.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Alternative post: The US team is still waiting for Spieth to tee off(yes I know it's Euro Tour).

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm surprised they didn't try on a hole with a giant wide fairway and no trouble around the green.

I like how they gave away exactly what France did in the animation at the start.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kameh posted:

So I officially have 2 full bags, and I'm keeping the older set at my parents' house so I don't have to drag my clubs back in forth if I play down there.

Current bag:

Driver: Cobra F6+ Driver with Matrix Black Tie 65m4 Stiff shaft. (Should be arriving Thursday. So freaking pumped.)

I picked up one of these last week in the "Gray Turbulence" color, the one with the green accents.

I'm really liking it so far, it's a lot more forgiving than my previous driver, a Cobra ZL Encore. Currently have the weight shifted all the way back with the loft at 10.5 which has been helping me get the ball up the air better with no real noticeable loss in distance. The ball really seems to explode off of the face when you hit it square.

It's also the first driver I've bought as a current model so that may have something to do with it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Grittykitty posted:

Pace of play is my big problem and is mostly why I haven't been getting out as much. A couple weeks ago I left after 13 holes because it had already been 4 hours and I had poo poo to do. On my way back to the clubhouse holes 17 and 18 were completely empty.

I have a couple rants about a round I just finished. Full disclosure, we played in 3:45 as a threesome.

The local high schools play the course on weekdays for league stuff and whatnot. We teed off behind 7 groups of mini-Speiths. We knew going in that it would be slow and to their coaches credit they came up to us and said they would try and speed them up. We were the first group out after the kids and the starter let us know what was going on so that's totally fine but goddamn they're slow.

There was a twosome behind us, the motherfuckers hit into us on 1! loving 1! We had just putted out and the way the course is routed you have to walk off the front of the green to get to the tee box on two. Stuck the flag back in the hole and three seconds later a ball is coming at us. Bear in mind the aforementioned kids were waiting on the second tee box so it wasn't like we were holding anything up... on 1!

We make the turn, the kids only play 9 so it's an open course for us at this point, time to rock and roll. The motherfuckers hit into us again on 10! We were putting out, flagstick is on the ground and its a slightly elevated green, impossible not to see someone on the green from the fairway. Lo and behold here comes a ball up onto the green. I get that it's twilight and it's still going to be close to finish 18 after slogging behind the kids but you can bet your rear end I'm not going to let you play through after you hit into me twice. Fucker was lucky we let his ball lie. My buddy was ready to go kill him.

This poo poo drives me crazy. We've all wanted to hit into someone out of frustration, and a lot of us have done it on accident, but I just can't tolerate stupid poo poo like I saw today. 1 and 10 for fucks sake.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Zac Blair got himself disqualified yesterday because he bonked himself in the head with his putter bending the shaft and then putted out with it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

I went out to dinner and DVRed the second half of the coverage, these greens are absolutely brutal. I swear you can see some of them getting noticeably more brown every time a group plays them.

Rolling 15-16 on the stimp. There's no friction on the greens. Frank Nobilo just poured a couple ounces of water on one of the greens and it beaded up and trickled down like 10 feet, never absorbing.

Another player said they were so slick that he was worried about putting his putter down behind the ball and having it slip and hit the ball.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

drat nice since I'm sure you weren't a happy boy through 3.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

Day says he doesn't like his 3 wood too, so hitting 2 iron off the tee and then 3 wood in the fairway seemed odd.

Flurries here outside of Binghamton NY. It's ~45 degrees outside today and it was in the low 80s Thursday.

My deepest condolences for choosing to live in Binghamton. I do get a pretty big craving for Sharkey's from time to time though.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

What do you guys usually use to clean your grips?

I have a 100 year old bottle of Bleche White but that thing is about dead.

I just re-gripped my clubs so I'd like to get the most out of them. Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 if anyone cares.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Keyser S0ze posted:

just hot water/dish soap/brush is all I do to my grips.

PXG: did your boy go for the full $10,000 fitting in Scottsdale that includes fitting/golfing/Fireball shots/strippers/ho's/etc?

Those things are Mad Max Fury Road Death Metal.

The PXG Experience starts at $12,500. No idea if club cost is included in that.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

EnsGDT posted:

Every time Sergio puts a ball in the water on a Sunday, and angel gets its wings.

He's doing God's work, literally.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kameh posted:

💪💪💪💪💪💪

gently caress offffffffffffff

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Thank God I currently have more sense than money because these wedges are loving awesome and I somehow missed that they released last year.

http://www.mizunousa.com/Golf/Products/S5-BLUE-ION-STEEL-RH

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Cobra, leading the PGA Tour in hat tag length...

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I love how, with literally anything else, from playing a musical instrument to ballet to swimming, people understand that you needs teachers/coaches to get better.

But no, I can totally become a good golfer on my own. The ball isn't even moving!

I have a buddy who plays in the 80s all the time. I've been with him when he's shot 81, 82, 83, etc. but he refuses to take lessons. It drives me crazy. His goal is to break 80 but the way he plays he's going to need 3-5 lucky breaks a round to do it.

I'm a crappy golfer, never broken 90, but the last lesson I took added like 20 yards to my drive. That's probably worth it. It was a grip and shoulder turn change so I'm struggling with the change so far, I shot 66-44 last round I played. Best 110 I've ever shot haha, but when the grip and swing change is working I'm at worst a bogey golfer.

I keep telling him to take lessons but he just refuses and it drives me nuts.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kameh posted:

All you guys with your fancy new drivers ain't got poo poo on me now.

Got both for $25 shipped from Goodwill. 2006 me would have had a stroke if I were able to get my hands on these puppies.

Didn't you just buy an F6+?

Edit: If you've been playing golf in the last 5 years you immediately know if someone is playing a Sumo driver. That thing is obnoxious.

I shot 95 today, 52-43. Not sure why I suck all of the dicks on the front and then play so much better on the back recently. That 52 on the front was with a birdie and the 43 on the back was with a triple on a par 3(aquatic).

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 28, 2016

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

cheese posted:

Can someone explain the concept of tee time prices and pacing? Throughout the spring, I've been playing at Norcal/bay area courses at different times, and I've come to the conclusion that the twilight rate concept makes no sense. Sample size is low, but playing in the morning several courses have been almost empty and that same course becomes crowded and jammed with people after noon when the twilight rate comes out. Two of the guys I play with have a "well I'm not paying non-twilight rates, gently caress that" attitude. I really feel like if they just made the same rate all day more people would play in the 9-11am time and a 2pm tee time wouldn't have groups queued up to play each hole.

Twilight starts at 2 there? It's 4 right now for me.

Most golfers don't have an "I paid $X, I'm going to get my money's worth" attitude as far as I can tell so I'm not sure what your buddies are getting at. Like the previous poster said, I'd rather pay more but play at a good pace. I will intentionally book a tee time that's 10-30 minutes before twilight rates start for that reason. You almost never hear someone complain because their round only took 3 hours instead of 4.5-5.

That being said I'm playing tomorrow at 2 and that round is going to take forever. It's also going to be 90 without much wind.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Remember how I've never broken 90?

I finished bogey quad bogey to finish and shoot 92 today. I'm ready to murder someone.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

BCRock posted:

The whole PXG thing is crazy. We probably sell a set of their irons every day for $3K+. I get at least 5 calls a day from customers asking if we have them. Some guy actually came in yesterday and dropped $2.5K cash to take the demo set we had hanging up on the wall home with him on the spot.

If I won the Powerball or something like that I'd probably do a buddy's trip PXG Experience, it sounds like a bunch of fun.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

Hah, the CBS coverage of the Memorial quit at 6:15 for the local news, right in the middle of the second playoff hole. You'd think that since it was pre-recorded earlier today they would have been able to condense the coverage a bit to end on time.

I got the full coverage. The tape delay apparently ended 8 minutes before real time. I'm not sure why they can't bump infomercials to show live sports though.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Daric posted:

Yeah I have the MCC +4 or whatever it is on all my irons and I love them. They look great too.

I just put those on my clubs replacing the regular MCC and I'm liking them a lot more so far. The fatter lower part of the grip is definitely helping me keep from strangling the club.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

I was there. His zipper wasn't just down, it was broken. We were told don't film him

Should've gotten some nice zoom in shots of his Big Sleazy.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

I will never understand the golfers obsession with shoes. I literally got my first pair of golf shoes ever at the beginning of this year and I will wear them until they die a horrible death. I guess if youre playing 3+ times a week having a backup pair for when the others get wet is good but more than that seems crazy.

Then again I dont understand the obsession over headcovers, golf bags and shirts either. I think golf is a game for people with severe OCD.

I have a white, black, gray, and brown pair of golf shoes.

Coordination bro.

I also probably own 30 golf shirts but for some reason I only have two pair of golf pants and maybe three pair of shorts.

daslog posted:

I have been taking lessons for 3 weeks now. I feel like my swing is worse, I'm totally uncomfortable, and just got back from a range session where I totally lost it at the end.

I'm starting to think a lot of this is just bullshit, and golf is a game where are you either have it or your don't.

How often are you taking lessons and how much are you practicing in between lessons?

I always play much worse for a time after a lesson. I took a lesson about a month ago and as of yet I haven't really seen any big improvement with my irons but I'm 30 yards longer, really, with my driver, and I'm hitting it much straighter so I'm at least optimistic. My scores have gotten better purely because instead of a 5-6 iron into greens I'm hitting an 8-9.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The caveat of waterproof golf shoes is that they start to smell really really bad after a while because they don't breathe.

I had a pair of the original Nike TW golf shoes, fantastic golf shoes btw, but goddamn did they smell bad. God forbid you accidentally left them in the car overnight after a round.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

daslog posted:

:allears:

You young kids should try to marry a women that can golf.

Actually my golf time is my get away from the girlfriend time.

"I'm not going to answer my phone for six hours*, I'm golfing"

*She doesn't know how long it takes to play golf other than TV coverage.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nice dude.

I see you have the same issues as me where a quad and/or triple every round is inevitable and trying torpedo you.

I usually save mine for 17 so that I gently caress myself though.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I give you the 5th hole at Mountain View in Ewing, NJ

Plays 345 from the blues, 275 from the whites according to the card.

That picture doesn't really do justice to how steep that hill really is.

About 130 is as close as you can get before you're on a super steep hill yet people hit driver smack into that hill and have 80 or less in and more often than not end up with their second shot not making it to the green. From where that guy in the white is standing in the fairway you can't see the flagstick.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Unknownmass posted:

Just saw that Kuchar wears skechers golf shoes. I didn't think he could get any cooler.

This but the opposite.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Also I played in the rain today. Never again. Im a fair weather golfer and gently caress anyone that has a problem with it. :colbert:

Pussy.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I have a shocking sock tan, it's pretty ridiculous.

Also I played that course with that dumb par 4 I had posted yesterday, hit 7 iron, 6 iron into the hole, made a decent par. Everyone else hit driver, nothing better than bogey. Feels good man.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

daslog posted:

That's the big weakness of the handicap system. Three rounds isn't nearly enough to get a good fix on your ability.

Especially when the official system requires a minimum of five rounds to calculate your handicap.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

My feet look like Stwart Cink's head, it's amazing.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Halo14 posted:

I reckon it would be more interesting if they restricted it to the world's top amateurs.

Nah. Men's soccer is limited to the u-23 teams which means nobody gives a poo poo about the tournament.

Most if not all of the men pulling out(ironically) are of the age where they're probably planning on having a kid in the next couple years. They're just being responsible.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

This is bizarre. I was a manager at a Burlington distributon center for three years and never saw a piece of golf apparel.

It must be a recent change. I stopped working there in late 2013 so it's entirely possible.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Speef just pulled out of the Olympics.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm playing my first TPC course today, Jasna Polana, in Princeton NJ. Never really thought I would ever get to play it as it's very very private. I expect the course to beat seven shades of poo poo out of my by the time I'm done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm not dead!

Shot a 106 that could have easily been 10 shots better. Made a 9 on 1 after I missed a green long and left which left me with an extreme downhill lie 20 feet above the green that I promptly skulled over to the other side to leave myself with an extremely uphill like that I dumped in a bunker which I proceeded to live in for a while. Made another 9 on 10, lost my drive left, hit a decent second drive, ok approach just short and put another wedge in a bunker that I liked so much I stayed for a couple shots. The bunkers had very little sand in them which I thought was odd. You couldn't really splash anything out of them, almost had to pick the ball.

I think I lost 7 balls overall too. Had 5 pars and a birdie though which wasn't bad.

The greens were insane. I can't imagine what Tour pros putt on because these things were driving me crazy. Think you hit a perfect putt, it rolls 10-15 feet past or breaks 6 inches 7 inches from the cup. I started to get a feel for them on the back which is where I made 3 of my 5 pars and the birdie.

18 is a par 5 that plays probably 100 yards downhill. Hit a great tee shot to about 160 out, flared my second into the pond on the right and made a double. Nice finish rear end in a top hat.

The course was in fantastic shape, definitely the best tee boxes I've been on, they were like astroturf, but you needed to be in the fairway to make anything happen and getting up and down from around the greens was really tough. The ball just didn't want to stop once it got on the green.

Best part was that it only cost me $50 to play a private TPC course, can't complain about that.