Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

McIlroy and Fitzpatrick just casually winning six holes in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Turns out you don't win Ryder Cups with "vibes".

Quote this when the US sweeps the rest of the matches.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

Call in an Emergency "Code Reed" to troll and antagonize the euros :911:

Speaking of:

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/38510351/judge-dismisses-patrick-reed-750m-defamation-lawsuits

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Then he went and won 17 and 18.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Considering you just started playing, you probably shouldn’t be anywhere near a set of ONOFF Kuros since they appear to be forged blades which are hard for everyone to hit.

If you want height out of the box look for some game improvement irons. Mizuno’s JPX series is great, but so are most brands GI clubs to be fair.

The other option is always, always spend that new club money on lessons instead

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

I have literally no one else in my life who would give a poo poo. All the people I golf with barely keep score. But after 3 long years of grinding, I'm finally at single digit. :buddy:

:cheers:

That's awesome, congrats!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

RCarr posted:

Anywhere near me only books a week in advance. If I want to play golf I book a tee time at midnight exactly a week ahead of time. Good luck playing at all in season if you don’t do that.

Same deal except thankfully it’s 8pm not midnight.

I booked a tee time for this Saturday and then stayed on the site for 90 seconds afterwards just refreshing the page. Every tee time before 3pm was gone by 8:02.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

I watched six different “ONE SECRET MOVE TO ADD 30 YARDS TO YOUR DRIVE!” youtube videos last night so I’m excited to rip a 500 yard bomb tonight.

You were already moving it 320 by my math so this just seems a little self-masturbatory.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

GEMorris posted:

Every green being the same seems... weird. Unless they are going all out with some sort of dynamic synthetic green where they can at least change the slope if not the overall shape.

They exist, and they're cool as heck

https://www.fullswinggolf.com/golf-simulator/virtual-putting-green/

https://www.puttview.com/products/indoor/moving-series/

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

Just finished our second round on this golf trip and this course has just as many balls in the rough/woods/hazards as last year so I guess it isn’t a fluke. I’m not spending nearly as much time looking for balls as some guys but I still have gotten 18 ProV1s and about 80-90 balls total after two days. Some of the guys brought backpacks and fanny packs just to toss balls in as they go lol. I think my partner with ~200 balls has the most out of anyone so far. It’ll be fun to see what the total number is after Friday with all 15 guys.

At 10 balls a pound that could become some very expensive return luggage lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Oodles posted:

How poo poo should I be at my level? I’m almost breaking 105, and feel like I have unrealistic expectations of good I should be.

My 8 iron (and to be fair, my 7, 6 and 5) all go 120 yards. My driver is 165 yards, and all off to the right. I routinely fat approach shots, and thin chips. I can’t read a green to save my life.

The only saving grace is I’ve been getting lessons the past 5 months, as opposed to the past 15 years where I’ve just hacked my way about.

Distance, you have to figure out how to improve distance. If you're not getting to the green in two on par 4s it's going to be incredibly hard to start trending downward, especially if you can't chip or read greens.

Get a lesson from someone different, tell them exactly what you posted, because you should be driving the ball 100 yards further than you are based off of a 120 yard 8 iron.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

120 yard 8i is shortish. A 265 yard drive is well above average.

His current instructor hasn't addressed his driver yet, he shouldn't be hopping instructors yet.

He should be hitting his driver 100 yards further than his 8 iron, not 100 yards further

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Omerta posted:

Has anyone played in NZ/Tasmania? I am going in a couple months and would love to hear any thoughts/recommendations. Current plan is to play:
- Te Arai
- Tara Iti
- Royal Melbourne
- Cape Wickham
- Ocean Dunes
- Barnbougle

Luke Kwon (Good Good guy) did a travel golf series in New Zealand this year, might be worth it to check out.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7cIy9hO-rUXbUUGFMrNtOQa6FBQ9xeEy

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

daslog posted:

I can guess. "I stayed to stand up for the PGA until they caved and took the money for themselves so I'm not going to leave half a billion on the table"

:hmmyes:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

There are some interesting rumors circulating that Nike may be getting itself out of golf, and thus Tiger Woods, entirely.

I'll admit, it would be odd to see some of these guys, especially Tiger, on the course without being festooned in the Swoosh.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

On this, my 60th birthday, I shot a 79 at 6600 yards. 35 mph winds, again. I've played four rounds with my new irons, and the one day it wasn't windy it was 34 degrees and you could not estimate how far your balls was going to go between rock hard fairways and rock hard greens. I have literally no clue on the distances on these clubs, still. Love them, great feel, but no idea.

Highlight? 626 yard par 5 #9. Driver into the wind balloons and ends up going just 220 yards. 7 wood to 200 out. 7 wood to pin high, just off the green, chip and a putt for par. Driver, 7w, 7w and one of guys in my four ball hit driver, 3w, hybrid for his par.

:toot: Someone get this guy a couple simulator hours for his birthday so he can dial in those yardages

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

It's gonna be odd seeing him on the course all NASCAR'd up like everyone else.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

We have the Qi from Taylormade and the Ai from Callaway. Such originality. Much innovation

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I wonder if the COVID golf boom has dried up and 2023 projections didn't live up to expectation.

Anecdotally, 2023 was certainly the least golf I've played since 2020 and I didn't buy anything golf related other than balls/gloves/tees.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dunlap does have a "head to toe" Adidas NIL deal, no idea what they're paying him but I'd imagine it's fairly lucrative.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I have to be honest, the more you talk about your lessons the more I want to tell you to run away from this instructor.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm sure this is more of a question for the camera/photography thread but can anyone recommend a quality digital camera to take to The Masters? I'm going Monday so cameras are allowed, etc.

I suppose I'm looking for two different types of recommendation. First, a cheap-ish camera where I'll be happy with the photos but I'm not going to agonize over throwing it in a closet and using it once a year or whatever. Second, a higher quality camera that'll take excellent pictures, but something that would be more of an entry into photography as a hobby seeing as I have a phone for the 364 days I'm not at The Masters. Budget, I have no idea. Under $1,000(?) for the "higher quality" option I suppose. I know that once you pick a brand you're essentially in an Apple-style universe where any lenses/attachments become mostly brand specific. Would used be a better option? If I were to go for the more expensive option and then realize I don't care about photography is there a decent resale market for stuff like this?

Any input is appreciated.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I appreciate all of the info, the search begins.

Oodles posted:

Can you buy me a hat?

Legit, not joking.

For sure. I was planning on making a post once it was closer to the tournament. I'm happy to souvenir mule for any of y'all.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Anno posted:

Tiger's new clothing looks nice, but I really don't care for the branding.

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1757231925096222811?s=20

Fuckin' Bob Does Sports has better graphic designers

E: Added quote for new page snipe

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

I read somewhere that there are 15 stripes representing his 15 majors and if he wins a 16th the logo will be updated. I'm having trouble counting those stripes though lol

I think it's 9 on the body, 3 on the front leg, 2 on the back leg and then the wiener makes 15.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

If they held "The Match" but nobody knew it was on, did they really hold it?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

SquirrelGrip posted:

What do they go for in the us? It converts to like… $500 usd?

$300.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

daslog posted:

Once you go 7 wood you never go back. My league course has a few holes where the doglegs start at 200 yards from the tee and the 7 wood rarely fails me.

Echoing the 7 wood love, it's been the most consistent club in my bag since it went in and it's perfect for the above scenario.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

nerdz posted:

Thanks for the input!

I've done some research and bought two used iron sets at around the same price point (around $30 per iron), with free returns from ebay. I plan on keeping the one that makes the most sense for me and returning the other one. I'm going to the sim this weekend with both to compare them. Both are standard length, which feels right to me at 6ft.

1) 2015 mizuno jpx 850 forged, with extra stiff true temper dynamic gold shafts and MCC align grips. 7-GW, rated 'good' condition by the seller, $150. Its a beauty, the grips are amazing, lots of dings and bumps (not in the face though), the previous owner left a pretty impressive wear pattern on the sweet spot but the grooves feel sharp. This is the one that I feel could be a dumb way to start especially because of the x stiff shafts, but I'm thinking that I can use them to improve my ball striking and as short irons/wedges maybe I can get consistent enough with them compared to longer irons. I could complement them with more forgiving longer irons/woods/hybrids in my bag.

2) 2016 mizuno jpx ez forged, with stock standard shafts and grips. 4,6-8,PW,GW, rated 'excellent' condition by seller, $200. These really look brand new (like just shop testing usage, they probably never seen a divot), the range coverage is a lot wider with the 4i and 6i, it could probably be all I need for beginner par 3 courses. They are one step above the JPX 850 in forgiveness while still being forged and have standard shafts, both things that feel more adequate to a beginner.

From what I read, the JPX-850 is a GI set that dips into player's territory and the JPX EZ-F is one step below, very much in the GI set but probably less forgiving than non forged GIs.

So summing up, the EZ-F are in much better condition, cover more range, have a shaft flex that's probably good for me to start building my golf muscles and are more forgiving (while still being a forged GI club, so I still have my work cut out for me). I guess I'm being stubborn about the JPX-850 with x stiff flex shafts. I think once I finally try them out I'll have the answer I already know. If anyone has played them, I'd love hearing about it

I wouldn't recommend either one of those one sets for someone brand new to golf but if you're picking one of the two, the set with the standard shafts will at least allow you to get the ball up in the air better than extra stiff shafts. However $200 for a set of clubs is basically free and picking wrong equipment is very much part of the golf journey.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

waffle enthusiast posted:

Is the Callaway Edge set still considered the best option for its price point? Background: I haven’t played a ton of golf outside of Par-3s, but have hit a fair few buckets of balls. So I enjoy golf; I’m just not confident in how much time I’ll have to play regularly. My conundrum is I feel like I’m somewhere in between babbys first set of clubs and whatever the next level is. Used makes me nervous because I don’t know what I don’t know about model lineups.

I went to the local golf shop and they suggested another path would be to pick up a fitted set of something like 5/7/9, wedge, 3w, putter and then build it out next year if I stick with it (assuming I would pick up the same model of irons etc). Their take was “you wouldn’t just buy a suit off the rack and expect it to fit.” yes, yes I would

Getting fitted for clubs when you've never really played before seems like a waste of money to me unless you're very tall/short or gangly/stubby armed and shaft lengths are an issue. I guess that's similar to the suit analogy. I'd imagine that getting fitted for individual clubs would be rather expensive too.

You can always buy the Callaway box set and replace/add clubs here and there as you get more comfortable with your game or want to try something new. We all love to tinker but it might be nice to have a consistent set of clubs to start with as a baseline

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Omne posted:

Heading to Augusta tomorrow for Monday’s practice round. Cannot believe I’ve been lucky enough to go twice.

My dad is tempting fate. He’s trying to convince us we should stop putting in for practice rounds, and only accept tournament days since we’ve been there done that.

I’ll be there tomorrow too. First time for me so I’m pretty hyped. I expected downtown Augusta to be a little more lively but I suppose it is Sunday in the south

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Omne posted:

Took that one in the car; I can take more if needed

ETA: I'm kicking myself for not snagging a few more pair on our way out

It was a really cool day to be out there. I mentioned in the Masters thread that for a couple hours around the eclipse the weather was absolutely perfect. Still 80 and cloudless but without any of the heat.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm playing for the first time in 2.5 months today, probably the longest non-weather enforced break from playing golf I've had in a decade. This will go poorly.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Or, because it's golf, you'll have a great day, and your next round, now with high expectations, will crash.

Started double, birdie, double. I didn’t make any more birdies…

It was a beautiful day, I was out with my normal foursome for the first time this year, the golf was really secondary.

I had been feeling a bit indifferent about playing golf but yesterday got the bug back so I’m excited about that.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

nerdz posted:

hmm, so at the driving range I noticed they use practice balls, as opposed to the sim. Do they fly lower/shorter than regular balls? I'm trying to get my hopes up that I actually didn't lose distance, I just stopped playing at the sim. I guess I'll have to go there every now and then to track my club head speed and real distances if that's the case.

I'd imagine you'd see some drastically different results going from an indoor sim to an outdoor range even with the same ball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

GEMorris posted:

Usually there is a sign for this, but yeah that's why they have bag stands outside.

Stodgier and private clubs may also make a fuss about wearing hats of sunglasses inside.

Then of course you've got "appropriate attire"

Here's a video
all new golfers should probably watch.

Nobody wants a bunch of people dragging their bags around inside taking up extra space and knocking poo poo over.

Most of the unspoken stuff really falls around "appropriate attire". If I'm playing somewhere "nicer" either on my own dime or invited by someone I check the course's website to see if they have any attire requirements. Some courses still have things in place like "no black socks with shorts", which should be a universal sartorial rule but I digress, shirts must be tucked in, "no cover under cover" as mentioned above. Some courses have rules against changing your shoes in the parking lot. Most of these rules don't apply to your normal mid-week municipal course.