Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Managed to play 9 and not lose a ball. The score is irrelevant, I started and ended with the same ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Day two update; lost two balls but score came down. Op Success?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Went to the driving range, the only thing that's consistent is my inconsistency. They had a fancy ball tracker, and the colours relate to club, and I didn't take a photo of the legend.

Then went out and played 9, to demonstrate my inconsistency, I drove the green and the second ball (playing on my own, so I played two a hole) went into the water.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I did have a eureka moment with my putting though. My friend said to imagine that i'm rolling the ball at the hole, and use that to gauge how strong I need to swing the putter. Genuinely saved me 1 putt a hole. Last week I played it and got 55, this week 44. It's a 9 hole course.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Pleased with my improvement and consistency after a week, my driver (in green) still has a mind of her own.

From the photo on the left; Orange is pitching wedge, yellow is 6, purple is 4, green is driver and teal is lob wedge.

Oodles fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 1, 2023

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’ve got a lesson booked for next week, after calculating it I’ve realised in the past month I’ve played as much golf as I have in the past 8 years.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

fuckin stupid game, from todays range session.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’ve had my clubs 15 years, but only really played one game a year.

Decided last month to try and get better at golf, as I wasn’t going to get better playing Dota2.

Think I’ve played 11 rounds of nine holes, went to the range 3 times and got a lesson booked next week.

So I guess you could say I’m still a beginner.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

20 over, on a par 9.

Take my clubs away, smelt them down, turn it into a gun, and shoot me.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

You guys are having fun?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Just had a lesson, oh man there’s so many things wrong with my golf. I’ll see if I can rip a mpg from the videos he sent me.

But, he managed to shave 10% off my launch angle by berating me about the amount I twist my during the backswing.

It also feels so weird to not twist and throw myself around, I feel like a wooden tree.

Looks like babby is going to be hitting 75 yard 7 irons for the foreseeable future, until I trust myself to change club.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

So, that’s how I started my posture.

He told me to straighten my legs, as it looks like I’m currently squatting to take a poo poo, rather than swinging a golf club.

God bless the bluntness of Scots

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

managed to rip the video.

making GBS threads my pants
https://i.imgur.com/Pva5BFl.mp4

not making GBS threads as much
https://i.imgur.com/q8taoxO.mp4

Plz no critiquing my club face, i'm working on that too.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’ll save you the face on view, as that shows the abysmal position my club face was in.

I’ve got two drills, just take the club to waist height and try and force myself to not rotate my wrists, and try and shadow the ball on the back swing.

I’ve got a lot of bad habits to unlearn. It felt so weird doing that, I felt so wooden, and unnatural.

I also hear you, that the second posture is too far the other way, but at this point I want to stop the really bad poo poo I’m doing, and then work on softening it a little.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

It may be a janky 9 hole, but I got the approval to play while on holidays.

There was also a 57 yard par three, which I managed to three putt.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

GEMorris posted:

Ok so my first lesson is Saturday and I've not swung a golf club in 25 years aside from a putter. I've been working on my putts, but have held off on actually using any of my newly acquired gear before my first lesson. Am I overthinking this in waiting? I'm not wanting to develop bad habits etc.

Also, I have the following goals:

1. Find my longest club I can also reliably hit the fairway with.
2. Find the club I most reliably hit to 150yards & work on control/accuracy
3. Learn basic technique for pitching wedge use
4. The same for sand wedge / bunkers

I'm putting them in that order as that's the order I want help from an instructor. I know I need to put time in on short game but maybe I'm deluded to think I'll need less instruction there?

I have no idea how many lessons it would take me to achieve this. Again, not expecting to be good, just serviceable.

So, I found this little routine which I did just to give me experience of using different clubs.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Mederlock posted:

This video condenses a lot of this guy's good points for beginner's, he's goofy as gently caress but the advice is legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R-NvelOz3E

Golf Sidekick is doing a tour of Scotland and is coming to my town. I need to try and get a game in with him.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

torgeaux posted:

My fear of black bears dropped dangerously due to the fact I deal with a couple coming into my yard twice a week and they are comically fearful of humans (as they should be).

Walked out to deal with some mess one made at night, walked around the jeep and was 6 foot from a largish black bear who "huffed" at me, and I noped the hell out of there and regained my respectful fear. That deep bass huff was bone chilling.

Someone got mauled to death at my old work by a bear, so I have a healthy respect of them.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Played an Alistair MacKenzie course (the lad who designed Augusta), for $19.

Added fauna

I played dogshit, 56 over.

I need to live on a driving range for the next year, and if someone asks me to play a course, I need to run far away. Or just flush the green fees down the pan.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I know it’s not much for some of you, but first time I’ve cracked 200 yards with my driver. It went sort of straight, ish.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Any recommendations for a yardage watch? I really don’t want a brand new one, preferably a decent second hand one off eBay.

Or if any of you goons are selling old ones.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

i am a moron posted:

Should’ve mentioned - we bumped into them like twice waiting for them to get off the green. They played as fast or faster than most foursomes we run into there. The solo guy couldn’t let it go lol

Went golfing in NC for vacation and there was no one in front or behind us the entire time on the course and they still made us break a group of five up. Like really motherfuckers were all vacationing together and the course is empty

Play the first as a 3 and a 2, then meet up on the second.

Just like when I’m told I can’t play off the whites.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Progress from my last three lessons, I’m getting more consistent and longer.

Going to shake of that push, and I’ll be golden.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I played on Sunday morning, managed 9 holes before the family woke up; shaved 9 shots off my total, managed 2 pars, and also had 3 putts. (Shot 51 vs course score of 35)

The driver was allowed to be used, and hitting it surprisingly well, considering how poo poo I am at this game.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Played yesterday, first ever time in a bunker.

I rock up to take my shot, start my address. “You’re not allowed to ground your club, have you ever hit a bunker shot before?”
“Nope”
“Float your club face next to the ball, open the face, take a full swing and take a load of sand with it”
~wallop~
Ball proceeds to go straight in the hole.

I’m going to be chasing this dragon the rest of my life.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Any of you nerds on TheGrint app? I’m dancl

Seems like a bit of a strava/Strongr.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Took my wife to play 9 holes today. She didn’t hate it, and she managed to hit the ball a few times.

op success.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Just signed up for a golf membership.

Access to four 18’s and a 9, all municipals, for £31 a month ($38). Got my first month free too.

Doesn’t allow me to play in medals or get an official handicap, but who cares.

Cheap golf.

And, local driving range is running half price kids lessons in the run up to Christmas. Got my 8 year old booked in for that too.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I live in northern Scotland, and have at least 14 courses within 10 miles.

They range from £30 for 18 to £300 (lol :smugdon:)

And a 50 bucket of balls is £5, and all bays have trackman / toptracer

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I have a few friends who have corporate memberships with courses near me, but unfortunately my work hospitality policy is brutal and I can’t accept any freebies from companies.

So sad, I had hospitality at the British Open which was amazing free food and drink with a viewing platform overlooking two greens and a fairway.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

GEMorris posted:

When you say bay, does it have an awning? This is what kills me here in NC, I cant find a range that isn't in the blazing sun, other than topgolf. Also, none of the ranges here have launch monitors (other than again, topgolf)

https://www.paullawriegolfcentre.co.uk

Is 5 minutes from me, and is my usual haunt if I want to practice.

Ninja edit / the problem I have is all the ranges shut at 9. So I don’t really get much of a chance to go once my kids are asleep.

Oodles fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 19, 2023

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Booked a cheeky lunchtime 18 tomorrow while all the kids were in school.

Eldest’s school nurse thinks she has covid. Ffs, so close…

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Managed my lunchtime game.

Shot 105. Last two rounds were 120 and 126. So fair to say I’m improving. Had a bunch of three putts and two total duff shots, so cracking 100 is right on the cards lads.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

At what point do I need new clubs? And the answer isn’t always.

I’m an almost breaking 100 30~ish handicapper, using a set of Progen FB2 3-PW clubs I’ve had for 15 years.

In my head I think once I start knocking on the door of 20 handicap, or this time next year I’ll consider a set of new (to me) clubs.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Help me lads. I’m trying to crack 100, and want to know where I am best focussing. I’m tracking putts etc…

But in terms of short par 4’s etc, where should I be focussed on saving shots.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’m getting lessons, so I’m working on my shot consistency. Which is what I’m losing the most shots to, I’ll splat 5 or 6 shots a round which are just wasted.

Shot length isn’t that great, I’m tickling 130/140 with my longest shot.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Think I’m playing 6000 yards off the yellow tees

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

torgeaux posted:

There are a lot of good "how to break 100" videos on YouTube. I caution against ever getting swing tips online, but Crossfield and Golfsidekick both have good tips for strategies to maximize your chances while improving.

I’ve watched Sidekick, and appreciate his goony humour. It’s pretty sensible his approach. I’ll watch some of the other break 100’s to see how they differ.

My genuine problem is that I’ll have a few stupid shots and just piss strokes away. Like taking 8 on a par four. Maybe I just hit three pitching wedges which I’m confident hitting and keep the ball in play for 100 yards each time. Especially on the first hole when I’m rusty and not warmed up.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Not the email you want to wake up to when you’ve got a half day booked and a 12:30 tee time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

Ryder Cup should be fun, the course they’re playing has a lot of crazy rough that’s only like 10 feet from the fairway. I just wish the time difference wasn’t so awkward for watching it live in the US.

I’ve watched a few YouTubers play it, and it looks brutal.

In other golf news. I played a course, and shot 106. 55 front 49 back. I melted down on the first 4 holes. 9/5/8/7. I was genuinely going to walk off. The only positives I hit 3 GIR, so that’s pog.

And I was running so early, I just spent 30 minutes chipping onto the 17th as there was no one near me. Chipping is fun, I should do it more often.