Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Suprfli6 posted:

Knowing what some people spend for a PXG or Cool Clubs fitting, I'd imagine being able to say that you have the most precise and data-driven bay in the country should bring in plenty of customers.

The whole PXG thing is crazy. We probably sell a set of their irons every day for $3K+. I get at least 5 calls a day from customers asking if we have them. Some guy actually came in yesterday and dropped $2.5K cash to take the demo set we had hanging up on the wall home with him on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Josh Lyman posted:

Might as well go Miura if you're going to go all out.

The Titleist fitting experience might actually be best based on their offerings, especially if you add in the Scotty Cameron Studio.

The guy who bought the PXG demo set had just sold his set of Miuras to a random guy he met on the course earlier that day. $3K cash on the spot. I guess if you're walking around with that much cash in your pocket it's not a big deal.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Getting a legit putter fitting is as important as being fit for the rest of your clubs, if not more so. Going through a SAM fitting (the laser one) will definitely show you just how bad your alignment is and it measures a ton of other useful data points about your stroke (length, tempo, arc, ...etc.) and help determine what style, length, weight putter is best for you.

Problem with SAM is that it's a bitch to set up properly and it takes a really good fitter to know how to use the data.

Edel has a whole different putter fitting process that uses all kinds of weights and other devices to let the fitter build a putter that's made exactly for your existing stroke. It's time consuming and their putters are crazy expensive but everyone I know who's done it has loved the results.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

ironlung posted:

Been playing for 4 years (excluding winters) and just caved and booked my first lesson. Got it down to a 12 on my own but I'm done banging my head against the wall.

Good move. Your story so far sounds pretty similar to mine.

I went from never touching a golf club to about a 12 in the first 18 months. I watched a lot of YouTube instruction and played/practiced a lot. Progress was nice and steady up until then before I hit a wall and went nowhere for 6 months.

I spent the next 6 months taking a handful of terrible lessons from bad instructors before I found the real deal - a badass golf instructor and a great fitness trainer who specialized in golf-specific fitness. Seeing them once every week or two for the next 6 months got me down to a 4-5 handicap.

You've already gotten yourself better at golf than most amateur golfers will ever be so you'll be able to tell pretty quickly if the guy you're taking lessons from is any good or not. Just ask lots of questions and if he can't explain why he's having you do a particular drill then just find someone else who can.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Your right thumb and index finger shouldn't be touching. The pad of your thumb should be on the grip. Sounds like your grips are too small or you're doing some really funky stuff with your fingers.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
The free version just does the scorecard stuff. You pay to activate the GPS features.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Maybe I've got it backwards then? Or they changed something in the 3 years since I spent $30 for the lifetime unlock.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

daslog posted:

Had a great lesson today. Smooth swing, one piece takeaway, have to stop sliding the hips, and when I hook it it's because I'm closing the face.

All of that is awesome except the hooking part.

You're not hooking (having the ball move right to left, assuming right handed) because your club face is closed. You're hooking because your swing path at impact is more inside-out relative to your target than your face is pointing left relative to your target.

Face angle dictates launch direction and swing path dictates curve.

Just as an example, my go-to shot with the driver is a big high pull-fade (starts left and fades back to the middle). At impact, my club face is closed - pointing left of the target a few degrees - and I make sure to swing out to in (set up a little bit open and swing along my foot line). That shot will move left to right every time.

Hope this doesn't come across as pedantic or anything. Understanding what causes different ball flights is a huge part of being able to effectively diagnose swing flaws.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Yup. If your face is way closed and your path is only a little out-in you're still going to hit a draw/hook, but the ball's also going to start out going left and just get worse from there.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

torgeaux posted:

"You've played here before, right? What's good here?" Well, you really only need to hit about 200 from the tee, because it leaves a full wedge in, and longer brings in the water and a bunker." "Ok, I'm hitting driver here." Ahhhhhhhhhh.

Yes, watching people make mind-numbingly stupid decisions on the course drives me nuts. There's one course I play frequently where the first hole is a perfect example of this (Hansen Dam, since EnsGDT has probably played it too).

Here's a picture of it from the tee box:

It's only about 310 from the blacks and about 280ish from the blues. The tee box is elevated about 30 feet above the fairway, but it's also 20 feet or so below the green, so the hole goes down to the fairway and then straight up a massive hill that's like 45 degrees.

It looks like this from the side:

So you have 2 obvious options:

1 - If you can carry your driver 285, you have a chance of driving the green, or at least getting up to the green level and having an easy chip.

2 - You can hit something <200 off the tee and stay on the flat part of the fairway where you have <110 in to the green.

That's it. There's no other reasonable option, and since 98% of golfers aren't carrying their drive 285, there's really only the one option.

Yet 98% of the guys I've ever witnessed teeing off there (and it's a pretty high number since it's right next to the driving range/chipping area so you get to watch everyone tee off while you're practicing) whip out their driver and hit it 220-250 directly into the hill/rough where they have a nearly impossible shot off of a crazy lie out of heavy rough and make bogey or worse 95% of the time. It's infuriating to watch, especially the guys who I know and have had conversations with them about what's going through their head when they tee off there.

Me: So do you enjoy hitting 60 yard wedges with one foot 2 feet above the other out of thick rough where you can't see the flag?
Them: Well you see, 60 yards is closer than 100 yards, so therefore it's easier!

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Their irons retail for $300 with a stock shaft and the drivers go for $800-$1300 depending on shaft.

Their irons and wedges are 100% legit as far as performance and quality goes. Their woods, not so much.

I just did my wedge fitting and keep going back and forth between PXG and Miura. Probably going Miura just because they have more options as far as sole grinds go.

Irons are up next and I'm pretty sure it'll end up being a fight between Mizuno, PXG and Miura.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

mattfl posted:

drat dude.

I love my Mizuno irons but isn't the price gap between Mizuno and PXG/Miura like, really big?

edit: Oh wait, you work for the high end golf training/store right? Discount is pretty big I'm guessing?

Yeah, Miura and PXG are like 2X the cost of Mizunos, but my clubs are free so all I care about is which ones perform better.

There's actually a pretty big margin in all of the clubs from what I've seen. Percentage wise it's fairly close between all of the manufacturers.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Josh Lyman posted:

Forged blades are forged blades. I hit some Miura's at a store and they didn't feel any different than my Titleists.

I definitely have to disagree there. Titleist MBs feel way different than MP-5s, for example. At least they do to me.

The type of steel is different, the weighting/mass of the club head is different, ...etc.

It's not night and day different, like the difference in feel between a JPX and an MP-5, but it's definitely different.

That said, the PXG 0311T irons have a completely different feel to them than any other forged iron I've ever hit. When you hit one, especially the longer irons, you can just tell that the ball speed coming off the face is faster (with the same shaft and with the same loft as another club). Then you look at the Trackman numbers and you're like, "yup, 5mph faster ball speed."

I don't know that faster ball speed and a little extra distance on an iron is worth paying $300+ per club, but I'm seeing tons of these things selling every day and it's not just because of the marketing.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Golf is pretty fun when you play like this though:

It's been a while since I've had any eagles, let alone 2 in the same round.

#10 was a 3i from 223y out and into the wind. Hit it to 4 feet.

#18 was a 4i from 220y out and downwind. Hit it to 10 feet straight below the hole.

All of the bogeys were just stupid mistakes that could have easily been avoided.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
That's annoying that you got singled out with the slow play comment, but keep in mind that slow play also kills people's love for the game, so I get why people can be overly pushy about it.

It'd be great actually if there was someone on the first tee box at every course who just said, "Enjoy your round and hurry the gently caress up!" as each group teed off.

Anyway, nice work shooting below your handicap and that's cool that you're able to have your dad and son there with you.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

torgeaux posted:

As a frequent single (the three ball I get hooked up with has played only 9 three weeks in a row), I appreciate the effort. If I see the 4 ball in front of me has another 4 in front of them, there's really no where to go, I'll start playing two balls, and spend 5 minutes putting on the green I just played to kill time/stay loose.

Theoretically, I shouldn't record those rounds for handicap, but I do. I always play my second ball second, no matter where it is, and putt out my "real" ball before putting the other ball at all.

FYI, rounds that you play alone aren't eligible for handicap posting as of this year.

http://www.usga.org/articles/2015/11/2016-handicap-changes--playing-alone.html

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
It's all about peer review and protecting the handicap system. Do you play 100% by the rules of golf when you play solo and post your score? I don't. I use solo rounds to carry 16 clubs and try new ones out, or take a few extra chips around a green, or take a drop from some questionable GIR that I know if I were playing in a tournament would be marked but isn't, ...etc.

Every other country in the world hasn't allowed solo rounds to be posted for index purposes for decades. The USGA, R&A, and others are trying to unify their handicap systems so your handicap will transfer over to the rest of the world and vice versa, so this was just one step in that direction.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

pmac posted:

I definitely play rounds as a single that are legit by the book but, to your point, I play some that are aren't. I just think you should have the right to determine a round's validity for yourself. The randoms I get paired with at the local muni aren't actually providing any review of my scores and rules etiquette.

You're right that the majority of countries have the same rule in place. And I agree that a global set of rules & a common handicapping system are important to golf. I'd just prefer that solo rounds were okay to post. It's already a system that relies immensely on honor so I guess I don't see how "peer review" is solving your local club's sandbagger issues.

Agreed. There's no perfect way to do it, but I assume they've figured out that it removes some level of abuse by just making solo rounds ineligible. Sandbaggers will still pad their handicap.

The handicap chair in my club is a nazi about his job though. We have a separate "club index" that only takes into account your club tournament rounds and if it ends up being lower than your GHIN index, you play to that in our events instead. He adjusts people and assesses penalty rounds constantly for people who don't post accurate/timely scores.

It's great because our club tournaments are always competitive, but it makes things a bit harder when we're playing in the inter-league events against other clubs or other outside events with members belong to a club that isn't so diligent about maintaining accurate indexes. One particular club that's always in our pool for the SCGA team play events is actually notorious for encouraging sandbagging within their membership just so they can win that particular event, even though it destroys their actual club tournaments.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
This happened last week:

Finally put together a round with almost no mistakes and had a couple of good/lucky breaks go my way at the same time.

Eagle on #4 was a 4i out of the rough from 220y that rolled about 25 feet past the hole and the bumpy downhill putt somehow held it's line and went in.

Birdie on #16 could have easily been a 5. Drove it into the trees on the right. 168y to the hole and a tiny window between two trees. I said gently caress it and hit a perfect punch 4i through the gap and it ended up 20 feet past the pin. Putt was all downhill with about 2 feet of right-left break and I hit it way too hard, but it hit the middle of the hole and went in. If it misses it's 10 feet past.

Drove it into the right rough on 18 and had 275y to the hole, a little down wind. Hit a great 3w up to the front edge of the green and missed the eagle putt by 2 inches.

That was fun!

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Thanks guys. I'm just hoping some of that carries over to my tournament on Thursday.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Suprfli6 posted:

Holy poo poo how did Spieth's putt not go in, that's nuts.

Crazy that putt didn't drop. And then Cabrera makes his from off the green to win the hole and tie the match going to 18.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
That black set looks sexy as hell. A buddy of mine just got the black Apex's with the black steel shafts an those look really nice.

This is my new toy:

I hit my driver/3w/hybrids stupidly high (120'+ at apex) which gets me into a lot of trouble off the tee on tight tee shots. I also hate hitting hybrids off the tee in general.

This thing is like magic for me. 240-260y off a tee and never goes higher than 80-90' in the air. :getin:

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

EnsGDT posted:

Is this also a "Texas Wedge" or am I thinking of something else?

Texas wedge is when you use your putter from off the green.

E;fb!

To add to the single-length discussion: Equipment manufacturers have already solved the problem of people who have a hard time hitting their longer irons well - they're called hybrids.

BCRock fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 19, 2016

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
That was a ridiculous par by Tiger there.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Farking Bastage posted:

This complete loving rear end in a top hat of a guy decided that he was entitled to skip ahead of our twosome. He was a single, and yeah whatever. But the bastard drove around us while we were teeing off on the first hole without so much as saying a word(strike 1), then proceeds to hold us up the next three holes(strike 2) while he takes about 10 practice swings per shot only to hosel rocket them, THEN didn't want us to play through when confronted about it(strike 3). I had to call the clubhouse to avoid bloodshed. ~~~~ Just Muni things ~~~~

Now that it's Trump's America, I'm pretty sure murder is completely legal in circumstances like this. Silver linings!

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Keyser S0ze posted:

Navy blue background would look great and make the US/Euro flags pop a bit. Maybe add a placard of text below it describing the event with the outcome and dates, etc.

Some great signatures too. This one is very cool whoever it is.

Pretty sure that's Furyk's. That flag is awesome dude. Definitely frame it.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

EnsGDT posted:

Yeah too bad the average age of the other guys I golf with is approximately 70. Even their kids are too old for me haha

Dude, you need to join one of the men's clubs around LA already. Aren't you out near Brookside or DeBell? Both have huge men's clubs with a bunch of guys in their 20s and 30s.

That might not help much with finding a golfer to marry, but it'll get you some younger guys to play with at least...

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I hope Josh Lyman is able to post the Masters thread from his tornado bunker.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Uh...

http://www.espn.com/golf/masters17/story/_/id/19086664/dustin-johnson-injures-back-falling-stairs-eve-masters

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Josh Lyman posted:

In case you didn't know, it's been up since Monday morning and you still have time to get your pick in for the :20bux: pool! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815751

Nice work posting the thread link in an edit that I never saw. You had one job Lyman!

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Bag time? Okay...

Driver: 8.5* TM M1
3W: 15* TM M1
2i: 716 T-MB (one of these)
Irons: 4-PW Mizuno MP-64
Wedges: 51*/55*/59* Scratch 8000 something's

I have a 3 or 4 hybrids, but that 2i replaced all of them. It's a laser that I can hit high or low and never hooks or slices randomly the way my hybrids seem to do every once in a while. There's a bit of a distance gap between the 2i and the 4i, but I'd rather have that gap than one between the PW and 51*. The wedges are due to be replaced, but I can't decide what I want.

My swing speed is similar to mattfl's, but I'd rather hit my driver 320 than lay up with a 275y 3W most of the time :boom:

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Bilirubin posted:

Targeting ordinance at the enemy?

You're right. I can't think of any other scenario where knowing the exact distance to something would be helpful besides that one.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Halo14 posted:

GPS is much better - when I miss I miss big. Can't always see the flag 2 fairways across!

GPS is for dropping bombs on terrorists, not golf. Duh.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Kameh posted:

Here's a different, but still satisfying sound:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQv9BIajeYD/

I've hit a shot from pretty much that exact same spot on that hole before. I won't pretend I hit it as good as that, but it was a nice low hooked 3w through/between the trees that came up just short of the green.

That hole is brutal if you don't like hitting a draw off the tee, or if you're a spectator standing on the right tree line - I've seen at least two different ones take a tee shot directly to the skull and collapse the last two years of the LA Open.

BCRock fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 30, 2017

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
damnit

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Nice. Just used your resume to apply to a bunch of unpaid internships in Idaho. Enjoy!

Seriously though, get the gently caress out of Georgia and go to NYC, SF or LA where someone will pay you a couple hundred grand/year with your background.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Tiger put out a statement saying that he wasn't drinking and it was his prescription meds that caused it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/tiger-woods-speaks-dui-arrest-unexpected-reaction-prescribed-medication-000638898.html

If it weren't for the whole 3am thing, it'd almost be believable since you know he's hopped up on crazy meds for his back 24/7 and his documented sleeping pill addiction from when all the other stuff came out...

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
My regular group of guys that play together on the weekends routinely plays as an 8-some as long as we're not in a tournament and the course won't get pissy about us doing it. We almost always finish in 4.5 hours. And that's with everyone playing their own ball.

It's baffling to me how loving slow your average scramble tournament takes. I chalk it up to scrambles attracting lots of non-golfers and usually having a bunch of nonsense to distract people during the round, like booze and fund raising holes and whatever else, but it's still crazy for a round to take 6 hours when you're basically never hitting a shot from a tough spot and never making worse than bogey.

My club has gotten incredibly strict with pace of play during our tournaments over the last year or so. Last week we had a tournament with 88 players and the last group finished in 4:10. It was amazing. We used to be lucky for the last group to finish in 5:30.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I hear you. I hadn't made worse than double bogey in a tournament at my home course in about a year (30ish rounds) and then in the last one I made 3 triples, all on the back 9.

It's infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Decided to go do this today instead of watching the US Open live:

And they were nice enough to prep the greens for us:

Golfboards are pretty fun. Way better than driving a cart.