Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

GEMorris posted:

Can someone please explain "high loft 3 woods" to me? Is there any reason other than ego that these are not just called 4 woods?

HL 3 woods are just 16.5* 3Ws instead of the standard 15*.

They aren't called 4Ws because they still have the same length shaft as a standard 3W, instead of it being slightly shorter like a proper 4W would be.

You also wouldn't play a 3W and a HL 3W in the same bag, because the difference in distance would be so small, but it'd be conceivable that someone might play a 3W and a 4W if real 4Ws existed, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

MustardFacial posted:

Having all of my irons being 0.5" shorter now means that my club is 0.5" above the ground on the downswing and I am topping the poo poo out of every ball. This is going to take some range time to re-train.

If you were set up over a shot with your 9i and all of a sudden there was a decent wind directly in your face, so you put the 9i back in the bag and grabbed your 8i instead, would you stand in the exact same spot relative to the ball and just fire your 8i directly into the ground behind it, or would you do something else?

Point is, changing the shaft length of your irons shouldn't cause you to top or chunk shots. If you could hit your 8i normally before, that club is now the same length as your 9i was before in your case. It should take you some time to recalibrate your distances, since it's not exactly like going 1 club down, but you should adjust to the shaft length change pretty easily.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Congrats dude!

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
If you're playing alone, but actually following the rules, then just post your scores. Who gives a poo poo either way, really. How do your beer/skins leagues work without you having an actual handicap? Is it all gross or do you have some unofficial handicap that the league keeps for everyone?

My current golf achievement is that I think this is the first time I've ever had the full last 20 posted rounds on my handicap card not have any scores in the 80s. And that includes one round where I took a 9 on a par 4 for reasons I won't bother getting into, but still managed to shoot 78 on the round.

I've got tournament rounds coming up this Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun so I've just cursed myself to shoot in the 80s at least one of those by posting this, but oh well!

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Omerta posted:

Has anyone played in NZ/Tasmania? I am going in a couple months and would love to hear any thoughts/recommendations. Current plan is to play:
- Te Arai
- Tara Iti
- Royal Melbourne
- Cape Wickham
- Ocean Dunes
- Barnbougle

When you figure out how to get on Royal Melbourne let me know so I can do it when I'm back in Australia next year.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

ElGroucho posted:

You can only make so much money selling clothes and shoes.

95% of Nike's $50B+ revenue last year was from clothes and shoes...

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
My "easy" goal is to build back up some club head speed that I've lost over the last couple of years due to, in no particular order: getting older, my trainer moving away and being too lazy to find a new one, shortening my backswing, taking 1/2" off of all of my shafts, ...etc.

I've lost 6-8mph of driver swing speed, but my overall game has gotten so much better at the same time, so I've had no reason/motivation to do anything about it. This year I'm going to get back to working out and doing some speed training and see if I can get the swing speed back up while keeping my handicap where it is (+1), or better.

We'll see how it goes.

Stretch goal is to win the club championship, which is 3 days of stroke play, and -10 won it last year with the top 3 in the gross flight all shooting under par for the 3 days. I came in 4th at +2, which would have won by like 3 shots 4 or 5 years ago, lol. We keep getting more and more freakishly good players in our club, so it's just getting harder to have a shot at low gross, but I figure I've got a few more years where it's possible before I'm resigned to trying to win one of the net flights.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Omerta posted:

Titleist drivers have always been super spinny for me for some reason.

Same.

Last time I did a proper driver fitting the Titleist was spinning almost 1k more than the same-year TM/Callaway/Ping drivers and carrying like 20 yards less. Fitter was like, "yeah that just happens with some small % of people I see and it's always the Titliest that does it" and he'd seen it over a couple generations of drivers.

Very strange and a little annoying since I really like the look of their drivers compared to the other brands.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Carth Dookie posted:

Anyone else find Brian Harman irritating to watch?

JUST FUCKIN HOLD STILL AND HIT THE THING. GODDD! :rant:

Yes, everyone does. Followed him around LACC for the US Open last year quite a bit because he was in contention all week and he takes literal minutes to hit the ball after he's already gotten set up over it and is infuriating to watch despite being insanely talented.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I used a Canon M50 since it seemed like a good combo of price + performance + options for upgrading in the future (haven't used it again since, of course), but I don't know poo poo about DSLR cameras.

What I can tell you that was not obvious to me as someone who doesn't use a real camera is to buy and bring extra batteries.

The first time I went in 2019, the fact that the battery would run out didn't even cross my mind and after taking 1000 pictures in the first 3 hours of being there it was dead and that was it for the day. When I went last year I took 4 batteries and went through 2.5 of them.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Oodles posted:

You got any good stretching videos? I’m a forty year old man, and am very wooden.

Seconding GEMorris's Yoga rec.

Also, if you're an Instagram person, do a search for "mobility exercises" or "hip mobility" and you'll get literally inundated with short videos of stretches and routines all over your IG feed and I've found a lot of them to be really helpful if you want a specific set of movements/stretches for improving mobility and flexibility.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I was standing 8 feet from Tiger when he shanked that shot from the fairway on 18. The recovery shot he hit through the trees was pretty sick though. Hopefully he makes it to the weekend.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

mattfl posted:

Was out and about with the wife on Saturday and while she was shopping I wandered into the PGA Superstore and walked out with this guy.

Played a round with it on Sunday and as much as I hate to say the Scotty is leaving the bag and this guy is staying. I know it’s only own round but I was making a lot more putts than I normally do. Feels like I’m able to hit the line I want much easier with this. Off center hits also aren’t as punished as they were with the Scotty. Had 14 putts on the front 9 with 4 1 putts and 3 of those were outside 10’. I was averaging 33.31 putts per hole and had 29 putts this round. We will see if this trend holds up but I’m super excited about putting right now.

LAB putters are rapidly invading every golf bag here in LA.

The last two weekends in a row I've had to play in our match play league against a guy who has that huge Mezz Max in bright red. I beat him 6&5 and 5&4 and almost got him to snap it over his knee the 2nd round when he missed a 3 footer to keep the match alive ;)

Definitely going to check them out next time I'm in a store that has some, but I'm avoiding it for now since every time I try some new stupid looking putter I end up really liking whatever it is.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Plank Walker posted:

Anyone got any good resources on 50-100 yard shots? I've finally got my ball striking to a good place, my >50 yd short game is ok, but last season I was losing a lot of strokes leaving my short approach shots too short. I have 60, 56, and 52 degree wedges, the 52 is a 105 yard club full swing, but I struggle when I try to take some off, either end up sliding under and going like 25 yards or blading it over the green. Just got no feel for those distances.

The TLDR on any of this is going to come to down to just a shitload of practice. Hitting hundreds of 100% / 75% / 50% / 25% shots with all of your wedges with the ball in different positions in your stance until you get a good feel for what they all do just takes time.

What worked the best for me specifically, and like all other golf advice this isn't a one-size-fits-all solution, was just picking a wedge and committing to using it for every shot inside of X distance. For me that's my 60* and 85y.

I know exactly what distance / trajectory / spin rate that club is going to go with every different length of backswing and ball position. Need to hit a 75y shot over a tree or a 50y shot that never gets higher than 20' off the ground? Same club, but one is a 90% swing with the ball in the middle of my stance and a full finish, the other is a 50% swing with the ball off my back foot and an extra cut off finish.

The other generic advice I have for all wedge shots that may or may not be obvious is to not try to slow your swing down. A 50% swing just means taking the club back half of what a full takeaway is, not trying to swing it at 50% of the speed you normally would. You need the same amount of acceleration and speed through the ball to get the spin you need to make the ball stop.

This is also something that is much quicker to dial in if you have access to a good launch monitor and can get all of the carry/height/spin numbers for all of these shot variations quickly and accurately. You can do it on the range, but you need a bunch of targets with known distances and you're still not going to get a good feel for the spin you're putting on the ball unless you're also hitting onto real green surfaces (which if you have that at your driving range I'm very jealous!).

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
It’s a combination of both of those, really.

I guarantee you every professional golfer has written down somewhere (or memorized) the carry distance for every club in their bag at whatever their full swing is and their 9 o’clock swing (50%), plus probably at least the two points half way between those two and 0 (75% and 25%), if not a bunch more.

The distance between the feet thing is more of a function of the length and type of shot you’re trying to hit. For an actual chip shot (something close to the green that isn’t getting very high off the ground), virtually everyone is going to have their feet basically touching and most of your weight on your front foot.

For a pitch (something longer that you may want to get up in the air either a little or a lot) you’re going to adjust the distance between your feet for the shot you’re trying to hit. Anything you’re hitting low you’re going to want to play back in your stance and move your feet close together. Anything you want to get up in the air has to be closer to the middle of your stance and you’ll naturally need some width between your feet to pull that off.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Shaft length and the size/composition of the head.

Woods will have a significantly longer shaft for the same loft, as well as a much bigger hollow head.

You're meant to swing a hybrid like an iron, whereas fairway woods are swung like, well, fairway woods.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1m0iNynCtA

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I’ve never had or heard of a company not replacing a cracked head for anything that’s less than 2 years old, and I know at least TM will basically throw you a free head of whatever their newest line is no questions asked.

They’d much rather do that than risk you switching to another brand because you think their stuff breaks easily and their customer service sucks. Probably helps if you’re friendly with anyone at a retailer, but the guys at Roger Dunn out here will take one look at a cracked driver and just go “leave it here and we’ll call you when the replacement is in” without even asking if you bought it there.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
No way dude. Having been to both, practice rounds at Augusta are the best spectator experience you can have short of watching Tiger win on a Sunday.

Fewer people in the way, the players are way more cool with interacting with the fans, you can take pictures…

Most of this is true for any tournament, but it’s especially true for the Masters. Always put in for the practice round tickets and always go if you ever get a chance to. Oh and if you ever get to go to the Wed practice round you get the bonus of watching the par 3 tournament which is loving rad as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Tagra posted:

Anyone here have any experience/information/opinions about motorized push carts? I have a cart bag and my husband has a carry bag, so when we walk a course (we like the exercise) I end up being the pack mule and loading the water and whatever else into my bag. I'm curious about what kind of options there might be for an electric assist for pushing it up the big hills. I am also mildly interested in the roomba style carts that follow you around hands-free but I don't want to look like a pretentious snob chunking my ball into the woods while my robot servant trundles along behind me :v:

My club is at the point where more of the people who walk are using motorized push carts than not. Most of us, myself included, use the Alphard V2 (https://alphardgolf.com/) because we know a guy who works there and he got like 100 of them for wholesale pricing for us.

There are a smattering of other types like the QOD and other brands I can’t remember the names of that I see regularly.

I like it infinitely more than carrying or pushing a regular cart around and it makes me walk vs taking a driving cart for basically any course that isn’t insane to walk in the first place. The V2 works great, but the downside is that you also need to buy a regular push cart that’s compatible and then it takes a small amount of work to set it up and break it down every time you use it. They’re supposedly coming out with a new version soonish that will be an all-in-one and take less time to set up.

Anyway, my TLDR is that if you like walking and play a lot, it’s totally worth it. Cart rentals are averaging $15-$20 around here and at that rate the V2 pays for itself in less than a year of golf for me.