Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

DJExile posted:

I. loving. Love. The Phoenix Open. Everyone click this right goddamn now.

Hahaha love it. Also loved the guy in the US flag shirt.

Shot a 71 today. Hit like 16 greens in reg. Missed quite a few birdie chances. Need to get down under 30putts - I'm always around 32 or 33.

Also tried my friends new R1 driver. Really impressed with it and may snag if from him for $175 (he doesn't like it much). It's also in black which looks real nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYYozsE3u6Y&feature=youtu.be

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
drat I missed the end of the tournament this morning. So good to see Jason Day get up. He passes Scotty as world no. 3 now.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
So funny watching the bunkers fill up with water at PGA National. That's normal at my course. Must be good having an army of green keepers to get it playable so fast.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
http://www.golfwrx.com/286075/nikes-new-lebron-shoe-lebronold-palmer-inspired-by-arnold-palmer/

:barf:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
So glad Spieth won over Reed.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Every second Saturday I play with my old man for :10bux: He's currently playing off a 13hc while I'm 3. Pretty generous head start I reckon.

He was looking confident after 4 holes, then I decided to stop being a spastic:

Missed a 3 foot curler for birdie on the last :(

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Thanks, the very next day I had matchplay against a 15 year old and lost on the 17th. Granted he had a golf scholarship at one of Sydney's most exclusive clubs but I'll never live down the shame :(

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

thebushcommander posted:

You used driver on everyhole including the par 3s ? :D Also tell that course to grow a pair already, it's 1300 yards shorter than my "home" course from the member tees and 1550 shorter than the tips!

Had my second round out this year after the first outing being all around terrible. Shot an 87 though, my chipping was still atrocious, driving on point, putting improved.

Haha I can't hit a driver to save my life. I'm just too lazy to select the club in GolfShot :)

What are these yards you talk about? We have metric here! All in meters. Still not the longest course I guess.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Lots of elevation changes, knee high rough and a few holes with blind approach shots but if you're on your game you can tear it up. Course record I think is 65. No 2 holes are similar and its a lot of fun to play.

A lot of courses closer to Sydney are these cramped par ~66 layouts. Not much fun - just par 3s n 4s with trees everywhere.

Longest I've played was one 6,680 meters from the black tees. Had the pleasure of experiencing 30km/h winds on that day. It was not pretty.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

I have the driver yips and I'm literally going to kill myself.

That feel when you prefer a 2 iron over a driver :(

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

EnsGDT posted:

Pssshhh I do just fine with yardage markers :P

How is that going to help me when I'm 2 fairways across after spraying my driver?!

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

thebushcommander posted:

Anyone else notice that every year there is a discussion among golf media folk about whether or not The Players should be a major?

5th Major should be at Royal Melbourne, with greens at 15 on the stimp meter. :colbert:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Rickie Won? Awesome :)

Saw this on GolfWRX - looks sweet:

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 11, 2015

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

I'm in love with my Bridgestone irons so far but the set was only 5-PW and I'm having a hard time tracking down a single 4i to add. Right now I have Xhot 3/4 hybrids but I can't predict where they will go nearly as well as my 5i so I'm reluctant to use them. Last year I relied on the hybrids like crazy, it's funny how these things seem to change constantly.

Hybrids have never really done it for me. Currently I have a 3 wood and no hybrids. I use the 3 wood maybe once every 5 rounds. I guess I'm just suited to irons. The Taylor Made RSi 2 iron is the best club I've bought in a while. I can hit it ~220meters with ease but importantly I'm comfortable with it off the tee.

Currently I have Driver, 3W 2i, 3i, 5i through to PW and then a set of refurb Vokey 52-56-60.

Strongly considering ditching the 3W and getting a 4 iron :)

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Seymour Butts posted:

Then ditch the driver and game a 1 iron :getin:

Was tempted to get the 1 iron when I ordered the 2. Thought it would be to hard to hit but TM has done a good job with this club. I actually hit the 2i really high.

Re. putter recommendations - personally I like Odyssey. Bought one of these a couple of years back for ~$100 after seeing that most of the top 10 at the time were using it :)

Going to put on a SuperStroke extra thick grip on it to suit my huge hands.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

mattfl posted:

I just ordered a new pair of FootJoy DNA shoes. Currently I have Nike FI Impact shoes but found there was little to no grip in the toe area and keep slipping with my right foot on drives. The Footjoys are regular spiked shoes and I haven't played in spikes in a long time, it'll be interesting to see how they do for me.

I've got the same shoes, they're great but I miss the BOA Lacing System. Every time the shoe laces come undone I'm pissed off. Truly a first world problem :)

UnionCarbide posted:

Seems to be epiphany week, I just figured out that I was standing too far from the ball, which was flattening out my swing, and also that my right elbow had started creeping up. I corrected both on the range, and I seem to be hitting higher and straighter now. We'll see if it sticks :)

I often go back to the Butch Harmon tip for this:

quote:

While addressing the ball, let your right hand go with your arm limp to swing out to your side. If it swings straight out to the side you are pretty close to the right distance, if it falls back to your side at an angle you are probably too far away. It's quick and easy to do when out on the course or on the range.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 29, 2015

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I had the most fun with a bad player a couple of weeks back. This guy was a 36 handicapper and we were playing the usual Stableford round. You get a certain amount of shots on each hole to score points - hit it too many times and you simply pick the ball up. He wiped the first 2 holes by just mindlessly spraying the ball around and laughed it off - mildly annoyed but he didn't care.

On the 2nd hole he had given up any chance of scoring points after we'd spent 5 minutes looking for his ball in long grass. I found this TaylorMade Tour Preferred with personalised writing that read F&#K YOU! in capital letters. I had a chuckle to myself and then turned to him and gave him the ball saying "Here I found something for you". He had a good laugh and promised to use it.

He then asked me for a couple of tips. The only one I gave him was to STOP TRYING TO MURDER THE FKING BALL YOU IDIOT.

Well...the next 3 holes he managed to Par which for him was a first. There were high fives and fist bumps all around and apparently this ball was the greatest thing to ever happen to him (not the slower swing speed haha).

Oh yeah I had one of my worst 9 holes of the year followed by my best ever on Sunday. Sometimes golf makes no sense.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 2, 2015

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

thebushcommander posted:

Personalized balls are fun IF the place making them lets you use profanity. A couple years back I won some personalized E6's from some website and they wouldn't let me put anything good on it. Even if it was implied like the F&#K they would have said no. Ended up just putting, "If you found this your game needs work" hoping it would be a slight dig at someone if they found it in the woods even though I would have been the one to hit there anyway. One time I lost one trying to drive the green at a links course and it disappeared into some long weeds between fairways. When I made the turn and was getting some beers this old guy comes in with his buddies and was talking about how the ball he found was correct and it was even worse that he lost it on the very next hole. :D

Haha they must employ someone who screens all the requests. Great job that would be.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Looks great. Bit of nostalgia for me there - I used to play with a very similar brass Ping Anser.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I know what you mean. Somehow I can hit a specific shape shot on purpose only when it's to avoid an obstacle or get out of trouble. On the tee or in the middle of the fairway I have less success.

I wouldn't mind to be in your position though - straight or draw would be ideal for me. I'm always hitting these pissweak fades/pushes or getting stuck and leaving the club face slightly open.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

aehiilrs posted:

Anyone have an opinion on the new driving irons that are out? I'm looking to replace the old 1 iron in my bag but want something with a similar low flight because of the ~fun~ wind conditions at the courses I play.

I've had the Taylor Made RSI 2 iron for a while. Quite impressed with it. Considering the loft it's pretty forgiving. I tee it up and get a fairly high ball flight but I am tall and its my typical shape. Kinda wish I bought the 1 iron instead :)

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Kameh posted:

Got my first official summer round in.

Wow great round. I can see that putting is your strength. I struggle getting ~30 putts a round.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

ironlung posted:

I like how you claim to be "mediocre/bad" at putting and then in the same post, there's a card showing a round with 27 putts in which you only failed to get up and down once when you missed the green.

That's what I meant about being a good putter. Surely he's not putting every chip to tap in distance. Everyone has trouble with the longer putts.

Edit. Well not Jordan Spieth ;)

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Anything over 80 is a bad round for me but I'm a member at a local golf club playing at least once a week and have been playing on and off for 20+ years.
I practice any chance I get (not that often unfortunately) but I think that playing regularly is what keeps my scores low.

The biggest thing for me is having a routine for every shot:

I stand behind the ball with my club held out in front of me forming a line between the ball and the target. I chose a spot in front of the ball and align the club face to it. I do this for tee shots, approach shots or even chips.

I take my stance and ensure my shoulders, knees and feet are all in alignment.

I check my grip and make sure I'm balanced.

I play the percentages. Aiming for the green instead of aiming directly at the flag. Taking risk out of shots if I'm not 100% confident in my ability i.e. laying up on Par 5s. Hitting irons instead of driver to make sure I'm on the fairway for difficult holes.

My routine doesn't take long because it's an habit and I also don't have practice swings (for full swing shots). I only take a practice stroke with putting or chipping.
Another big thing in golf is trying to not compound mistakes. Take your medicine by chipping out or clubbing down.
Also, it's very difficult to learn but you must have the attitude that even though you have hosed up in some way you can make the rest of the round the best you've ever played.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Hope it helps.

Chipping is a feel thing for me but I'm always very conscious of the leading edge of the club. I test out the ground next to the shot I'm going to play - practicing the shot a couple of times to get a feel for how the club will react to the surface.

Oh and never decelerate when chipping. In fact never decelerate for any shot in golf. You would rather be on the green with a somewhat make able putt than come up short and have to replay the chip again or even worse - flop the shot into a bunker.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. BT posted:

Just ordered a set of Ping G30 irons, and picked up a used G30 driver and 22 degree hybrid.

Oh, and I made 2 50-foot putts on the practice green. There really isn't a feeling like watching a ball roll one way, and then the other and then.... drop in. Now if I could replicate that on the course. . .

I got steel shafts. Should I have sprung for the graphite?

For the irons, if you're a woman or a senior golfer then yes. Otherwise definitely no.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Furnaceface posted:

Is there any reason whatsoever to drop that kind of money on clubs if you suck? I expect the effect would be so insignificant in for someone like me that is basically re-learning the game at even the most basic level that Id be better off sticking with my 15 year old set of Nike whatevers. At what point is it a good idea to actually invest in a decent set of clubs?

As much as I'd love to I don't think I'll ever buy new clubs again. I mean, my previous 2 drivers have been a $50 Taylor Made R11 and a $100 Titleist 910D3.

If I were you I'd try to look on ebay or a pre-owned website for the previous years model of driver, putter or irons. The advancements year to year don't justify the expense. You can take them to a golf shop and have them adjusted in length or get new grips and still be ahead.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Damnit, I'll have to buy that PT9 putter now now because it looks sweet :)

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
drat you guys...

Actually that's a pretty good price!

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
This is the best swing instruction video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGtGmRT4v24

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Ribsauce posted:

Does anyone know anything about the Ping K15 driver? They have a 10.5 degree one for 40 bucks at the store up the street. I don't even use a driver right now. I am about to start learning the driver swing.

I have a 12 year old 580XD my dad gave me but this driver is much newer and I think more fit for beginners. For me, 40 bucks is worth lowering the learning curve even slightly. I can afford it pretty easily (I'm not trying to brag, just get across 40 bucks isn't really the issue). Should I buy and learn with this driver?

The salesman said a regular flex is the right one for me and the driver has a regular flex.

This guy does really good reviews > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5qrf2Mxkk4

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Played my usual Sunday round yesterday ~7am, still too dark to make out the ball flight. I'm on the first hole which is 320 meters, slightly downhill. Pulled driver and had a few warm-up swings - still half asleep.

I let it rip with fairly good contact and my playing partners kinda shrugged and said it went straight. The ball ended up in the middle of the green!

It's almost the middle of winter here. Now I've never driven that green - even in the middle of summer when the ball goes further. I still don't know how I did it. Didn't hit a straight drive for the rest of the round, the driver remains a mystery to me.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Summit posted:

I seem to hit most of my shots "thin" and only get a divot maybe half the time. Not sure how to fix it.

I'm not a swing expert but that only happens to me if I lift my head in the swing which really means that the position of my body is moving away from the ball.

Imagine a string tied at one end to the ball and the other end to your chin - you don't want to pull at the string and lose your position.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
^^ Bloody awesome, congrats :) Hope you kept the ball.

My old man had a hole in one on Mothers day when I was a toddler. He rang up mum all excited and her response was a deadpan "That's great, when are you getting home"

He has that trophy prominently positioned in the middle of all his other trophies :D

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Nichol posted:

I had no idea cart-only was a thing that existed in the world. That is horrible. I walk every round unless someone I'm with insists on a cart, but I find cart golfing incredibly silly.

Agreed for flat courses. Although if you were to see the terrain at my home course then I totally understand why noone turns up when it's too wet for carts to operate :)

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Ribsauce posted:

I had a real shot at breaking 100 today. I hit 50 on the front 9 and was sitting at 33 with 3 holes left. Bogey Bogey Double Bogey and I would have been there. I even had a 4 putt and 3 putt on the back 9. I never four putt. I was feeling like I had a shot and then it the bottom fell out. It was pouring. Still, I now know I can break 100. It will happen soon, maybe the next time I play.

My ball striking has really improved with my lessons. My aim/alignment is pretty bad. I think I can fix this pretty easily.

Halo14 I did your preshot routine and it is nice to do the same thing every time. Thanks for the idea.

On carts, I have an old Sun Mountain Pushcart my dad gave me since he quit using it. I like it a lot. It has inflatable tires. The new ones have hard plastic. I am not sure why they switched, that seems worse to me. My theory is most people probably break it out like 2 times a year so ever time they had to pump the tires which lead to a bunch of complaints.

I'm glad it has helped.

Regarding alignment, do your pre-shot routine taking your normal stance and then put a club down so that it's touching the toes of both feet. Step back and look at where the club is pointing. I do this every so often and find that I might be aiming ~5-10 meters right of the target so I adjust accordingly.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. BT posted:

So my first time playing a real 18 hole course (rating 70.2/slope 125) I shot a 101.

I was playing bogey golf for a while until we got dizzy from cigars and I completely bombed a few holes including a totally reachable par 3.

In light of the above remark, is this a dreadful score? I've been taking lessons for about a month, and did get that hole-in-one, but I'm wondering if I should keep playing par 3/executive courses until I get better or the real thing?

I see a lot of potential there, nice one.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

fascinate posted:

Couple of questions. First what is this ^ app thing? It looks pretty cool and useful.

Second, does anyone use this AimPoint Express green reading technique? Im a complete beginner and could stand to improve my putting by a great deal.

http://golfshot.com/home

I paid $30 for it a few years back and I used it every round for GPS, stats, score cards etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

DJExile posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna totally post a gigantic trip report with a bunch of pictures either once I'm back or day-by-day if I can like I did a couple years ago. Apologies in advance because i'm probably gonna hijack the thread :v:

Good.