Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In the article it says they redrew it in the 70s to look less strangley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

grilldos posted:

We're on our umpteenth rewatch of seasons 1-4, and it's pretty amazing how noticeably the quality begins petering out in the second half of 4. There are a handful of really good episodes to end that season (the final three episodes are The Debate, Bus Tour, Win/Lose/Draw), but once you hit the Tom/Ann ("Tan") storyline in that season, the show really becomes hit or miss with how cohesively it weaves themes and storylines together, and you can see the seeds of the problems seasons 5 & 6 would come to suffer from -- the shift from character relationships breeding good jokes/stories to seemingly the jokes/plot ideas becoming the jumping off point.

I can't really pinpoint the why seasons 5 and 6 suck from the focal point of the producers & writers involved, because some very talented writers are still in the room or jumping in: Wittels, Nate DiMeo, Alan Yang, Dan Goor, etc.; the showrunner seat was always Michael Schur's. The only definitive thing I've noticed is Chelsea Peretti leaves the show at the end of season 4. I don't particularly like her on camera or on podcast, but I guess she's a great story editor?

We'll be powering through seasons 5 & 6 to get to our first season 7 rewatch, and at this point I'm interested in them out of pure academic curiosity. What the gently caress happened.

Nearly done with the season 5 rewatch and it's definitely got a bunch of funny moments that just aren't molded together well into the best stories or theme work. It always seems to shake out to where there are two or three plots involving three or four of the characters as their major players, with the rest of the main cast oddly sprinkled into whichever plot as a Joke Machine. Part of this is they were more and more having characters naturally branch out beyond the Parks office, but then they sort of ran out of reasons for extra characters to be in any particular scene.

Seasons 2-4 were much better about dealing with the Too-Many-Characters problem by (more often than not) giving each character a driver for each particular episode. One that stands out in my mind is Season 4's "Smallest Park". The B plot is Andy going to college; April is naturally there, and then they give Ron something to do by having him finance it and tag along to secure that investment. Then they even tie him into the women's studies class in a way that suits his character. That's a 3 person B plot in an episode with 3 loving plots where all the characters have something to do, with the A plot culminating in the most emotional and satisfying moment of the whole goddamn season. The C plot even involved Jerry in a key way.

The problem with season 5 isn't that it's bad by any means. It's just being compared to the standard set by itself for the last 2 and a half seasons.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Boy do not read the comments on that Gizmodo article :stare:

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

HookShot posted:

Boy do not read the comments on that Gizmodo article :stare:

Just imagine all comments sections on all websites as the attendees of Pawnee public forums. It makes reading the garbage a little easier (albeit still awful)

Anyway, I just finished season 7. I still don't like the way the season started, but it did get better and the ending was absolutely fantastic. I'm glad I went back to it. Now to start all over again! (emphasis on ALL, which means the slog through S1 and all of Mark in S2, that's gonna be great, ha)

bucksmash fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 18, 2016

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If you think the public forum people are fictional, look up any local government meeting that's open to the public ever. Holy poo poo :stare:

If anything, the people on the show are unusually reasonable.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Javid posted:

If you think the public forum people are fictional, look up any local government meeting that's open to the public ever. Holy poo poo :stare:

One of the funniest/saddest things you can watch is a public meeting where somebody in the audience tries to do math.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Javid posted:

If anything, the people on the show are unusually reasonable.

There's a guy in Bloomington Indiana who shows up to rant about how Indiana university fired him to interfere with his efforts to end the drug war because the Unitarian church told them to. Sometimes he brings a guitar and sings sings about government mind control.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Pope Guilty posted:

There's a guy in Bloomington Indiana who shows up to rant about how Indiana university fired him to interfere with his efforts to end the drug war because the Unitarian church told them to. Sometimes he brings a guitar and sings sings about government mind control.

Somewhere behind the scenes, there's a local alderman (who never shows up to those meetings) sitting at a control panel in a room with a huge computer. On that computer is a card reader, and the card in the reader is that guy's old Indiana University ID badge. And that alderman is laughing his rear end off, because he's about to hit the SING, GENERAL CONSPIRACY, MIND CONTROL, and GOVERNMENT buttons all at once. Because this is the 3rd meeting of the year, and just hitting the UNITARIAN CONSPIRACY button has gotten boring.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Speaking as someone who has had to run a few public engagements, yeah, those meetings in Parks and Rec are pretty spot on.

The main reason it brings out so many people like this is that many of these people don't have anyone to talk to, and this is an enclosed situation where the government said they want to hear from people. So they have a captive audience and they are going to use it. People running it need to be respectful and actually listen - to a point. The chanting guy would get shut down really quick.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

He's got some good ideas w/r/t ham and mayonnaise.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
And about how her daughter is an idiot.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I'm rewatching this on Netflix and just have to say that Jean-Ralphio Saperstein is the greatest character in the history of television.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I think you mean he's the wOOOOOOOOrrrrssssssTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

he really is the best

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
At very least he's the best supporting / recurring character I've possibly ever seen in a show. If he were on screen full time he'd grow tired real fast and lose his charm.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Merauder posted:

At very least he's the best supporting / recurring character I've possibly ever seen in a show. If he were on screen full time he'd grow tired real fast and lose his charm.

Yeah they really knew when to bring him in and let him leave. Soooooo many other shows could learn from P&Rs character treatments.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

CommaToes posted:

The chanting guy would get shut down really quick.

Except for turnip! Except for turnip!

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

CommaToes posted:

The chanting guy would get shut down really quick.

Topless park! Topless park!

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Ham and mayonnaise! Ham and mayonnaise!

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng_-HgRfGBY

Also here's a pretty good compilation of all the citizens. I forgot about the "fence around their fence" guy

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

'Add to Watch Later' very much hit. Good find.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

You know those huge glass jars of candy they have in the Sweetums office? I had no idea those are real things, they use them for candy buffets. I just ordered two of them for my wife for Valentine's Day, going to fill one with banan runts and the other with popcorn jellybellys.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Concurred posted:

Also here's a pretty good compilation of all the citizens. I forgot about the "fence around their fence" guy

Literally every single one of these is funny. God what a good show.

edit: "THERE'S NO TIME! HE CAN FLY!" might be my favorite. The delivery is just perfect.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

You know those huge glass jars of candy they have in the Sweetums office? I had no idea those are real things, they use them for candy buffets. I just ordered two of them for my wife for Valentine's Day, going to fill one with banan runts and the other with popcorn jellybellys.

Your wife is loving disgusting.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

So you're getting a divorce for Valentine's day?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

What am I going to do with my kids all day? Keep them in my house? Where I live?

The best show.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CORN'S A FRUIT, SYRUP COMES FROM A BUSH

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Concurred posted:

This was great an all but it doesn't even have the pawn shop owner in it and he's pretty much the greatest thing ever.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

suddenlyissoon posted:

This was great an all but it doesn't even have the pawn shop owner in it and he's pretty much the greatest thing ever.

Looks like it was published late 2012, so it's missing a lot of the public seen in the last few seasons. Needs a refresh!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9By96DZfKTI

Oh Harris :(

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Best of Harris and Brett. Holy crap how did I ever forget about the Flintstones dead bird work whistle?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Best of Harris and Brett. Holy crap how did I ever forget about the Flintstones dead bird work whistle?

They don't show my favorite Brett moment (maybe because it doesn't include Harris?): "I'll kill 'em...soon as I'm done with these birds..."

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?
Can someone help me..I am trying to find out which episode it is Ron is renovating the third floor. I think it is mid season six? I can't remember if it is over multiple episodes.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

faarcyde posted:

Can someone help me..I am trying to find out which episode it is Ron is renovating the third floor. I think it is mid season six? I can't remember if it is over multiple episodes.

The Wall, episode 15 of season 6.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?

screaden posted:

The Wall, episode 15 of season 6.

Thank you, it's my favorite episode. Watched it again today :)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Classy move douchebag

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpj5ayvP2hk

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

It's all coming true, guys!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Cockblocktopus posted:

It's all coming true, guys!

We messed up and forgot to do the whole President Biden thing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Spacebump posted:

We messed up and forgot to do the whole President Biden thing.

Maybe Leslie gets to be the first woman president after all :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I so very loving much needed this and I didn't even know it.

("Leslie" wrote an open letter to America for Vox.)

• Locked thread