Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm honestly not feeling the new season too much yet. The jokes were funny, but the show didn't feel like the show, and some things - like Leslie slapping Jamm over and over - felt really out of character. I've never been a person who really liked sitcoms to have big wrap-up finales though. A few more regular episodes would have been fine with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timett posted:

I predict that we never see Leslie and Ben's children this season. Or at worst they are just in some shots when celebrating the park or whatever but they aren't involved directly with the story.

Babies are really expensive to cast, so you may be right. I'd rather they spent the money on Jon Hamm instead.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There was another really blatant piece of product placement in one of the episodes, but I can't remember what it is now. It was weird, they didn't show the thing, but they mentioned it really explicitly a couple of times, so I wasn't sure if it was paid-for.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

keevo posted:

Wait why are they airing this over a month?
NBC has to make room for all their hit new shows like

FadingChord posted:

I think complaining about Jamm being out of character for (most of) the second episode is missing the entire point of both Tammys and how they turn their lovers into completely different people.

They set up Jamm/Tammy 2 in the last episode of last season (especially the extended version) and it had too much potential not to revisit. And it was all worth it :allears:
I wasn't complaining about Jamm being out of character, read again.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
They're probably not going to reference either of those things. They're using the setting to tell a few silly jokes, not set down The Parks and Rec Prophecies.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

pzy posted:

Was it April telling Andy that he always feels better after taking a Zantac? That pulled me out of the show a bit

Yeah that was it!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

swickles posted:

I mean honestly would it have been any better if he said Tums, or pepcid? Its kind of like the term band-aid, it's a brand name has entered the standard lexicon. Same with Tylenol.

I've never heard anyone say Zantac in a genericized way, and it seems like it would be more in-character for those two to say something like "your heartburn pills" but I don't really feel like this is a hill I need to die on.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah but the whole point was they were acting like adults.

Adulthood is not signified by adherence to corporate branding guidelines

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Macaluso posted:

Is this a product placement complaint cause if so jesus christ

You don't think "Well April and Andy are adults now, so they've started referring to all products by their full trademarked names?" is an insane point for someone to try and make? All I did was vaguely recall a line where I wondered if it was product placement, someone helped me remember that it was this line, and then goons started gooning because gently caress me for having a vague inkling that one single sentence in this show might be less than perfect I guess.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

It was a joke. The joke is he's old and feels better if he takes an antacid and they're so familiar with each other that she knows that.

Yes genius, but do you notice how you said "an antacid" and not ZantacTM Brand Antacid Tablets? All I was trying to say is that the way they wrote the line made me momentarily wonder if it is product placement. Do you think that this is something that you, as a human being, can cope with having happened? Will the earth continue to revolve around the sun if a television viewer had a brief moment of curiosity about whether unpopular comedy show "Parks and Recreation" employed product integration when writing a line about a man's heartburn troubles?

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 17, 2015

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't have a problem with people saying brand names I just thought it was really weird to argue that saying brand names is a signifier of adulthood. But you're all the same autists who saw a conspiracy theory in two shows saying the word "breakdown" in one week once so please, continue to lecture me on what normal people do, TVIV.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

They both just seemed off to me. And the Johnny Karate episode minus the commercials was just a waste of time. I didn't laugh once. I guess I just like Andy in small amounts.

Wait, I did like it when Ben was looking at his hands after being knighted.

I feel you, I'm not really enjoying this last season too much. It just doesn't feel like the show. I think I'll like the episodes better once it's all done and they just get shuffled into my eternal rewatch cycle though. I might not have minded a wacky fanservice episode once in a while all along, but an entire season of it isn't doing it for me.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Macaluso posted:

Tom's dream from the very beginning of the show was to be a rich mogul, and he has become that. That just happened at the beginning of this season.

The point about Tom's dreams were that they were silly and shallow, which was funny. It's disappointing to see the show taking them seriously and granting him an improbable level of success just because. I really liked the turning point last season when Tom dropped Jean-Ralphio and started taking Rent-A-Swag seriously, but having that epiphany shouldn't mean he's an overnight success in any business he tries his hand at from then on. This "everyone wins the lottery!" wrap-up they're doing with everyone undermines the characters they spent so many years building in a believable way.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Macaluso posted:

It is 3 years later though. I imagine he didn't become a mogul overnight.

In three years, if you're amazing at what you do, picked a perfect location, have deep pockets, great marketing, and a high-demand niche, you might be seeing your first profits from a restaurant.

I'm not so mad I'm going to sit out the final episodes in protest, but this just isn't what I've come to expect from a show that spent a lot of time over the years showing us the frustrating reality of how hard and how slow success is. It took years for Leslie to get one park built, but now everybody just snaps their fingers and has their perfect lives.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Windows 98 posted:

"I am upset by the fact that fictional characters on a TV show all have happy endings right before it ends. Happy endings never happen in the medium of story telling and doing them is just flat out boring. Why don't they have Garry get hit by a train while picking up a Jellybean? Why not have Leslie get fired and blacklisted from every government job in the country because she went psycho? Why not make Ben mayor again and then have him fail like Icetown only to commit suicide later in the episode? This is bullshit. I didn't watch this show for 7 years just to find out that everything gets tied up with a nice little bow on a gift of happiness and goals being met." - Something Awful Goons

Look at what a blubbering crybaby you are about some people being mildly critical of a teevee show.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

smashpro1 posted:

It's because Tom and Jean-Ralphio blew threw all their money.
It's not the first startup Detlef Schrempf has tanked and it won't be the last.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

grilldos posted:

It's actually more realistic that these people would marry outside of The Crew, but I guess we have to be mad because it was shoehorned in?

Knowing where and how to be mad at a TV is hard, I'm just gonna laugh at this old fucker on a blimp.

Nobody's mad, stop being childish. It's actually okay and allowed to think a TV show you like isn't perfect, and to discuss ways you wish it were better.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timett posted:

It's just feels different and is different. I had never heard Kevin (not going to bother looking up his real name) do his stand up before but it was obvious he was doing bits. I'd be fine with him doing his set and then sitting down and answering the hosts pre approved questions about working on The League or whatever.

Comedians doing a formal set is a staple of late night talk. No reason not to do it that way.

The hosts ask them to do this, nitwit.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

I really don't get why anybody in this thread is defending the lovely, stiff pre-set style of interview just because it's prevalent in late night shows.

Even in the Late Night thread, the consensus has generally been that it's not great. And that Craig Ferguson's interview style was a lot better.

Nobody's defending it, just pointing out how stupid it is to complain that the hour-long entertainment products infomercial you decided to watch isn't spontaneous enough.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

Why? As I said, Craig Ferguson managed to be spontaneous in the late-night format. It's not impossible. And many comedians manage to go on other late-night shows without sounding like they're doing pre-written bits.

Saying that it's dumb to complain about is not really different from defending it.

We're calling you dumb for being surprised by it, which you only are because you apparently don't recognize marketing until it's really, really obvious. If you actually thought it was indefensible you wouldn't watch. You're the guy who complains about commercial breaks but watches the Superbowl "for the ads."

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

And you can find things annoying/lame without going so far as to think they're indefensible.

Apparently not since

thexerox123 posted:

Saying that it's dumb to complain about is not really different from defending it.

If one is true so is the opposite.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Enderzero posted:

It's fine if you enjoyed but I'm just seeing more of the smug back patting poo poo that led to the situation so I'm beyond not interested.

The idea that liberal smugness caused Trump's victory is incredibly stupid and counterproductive. Posting on an internet forum to announce that you're disinterested in something is pretty counterproductive too, come to think of it.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 11, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Enderzero posted:

No it's really not. Thinking poo poo like Lena Dunham make a GOTV video is going to help win the election is exactly why they lost. They have no idea how to appeal to actual working class voters who they needed to win the election and they can't understand that Hamilton jokes and having every celebrity on their side wasn't going to be enough in the non coastal cities that are actually suffering. Keep thinking that way and you can look forward to 8 years of trump.

I'm not interested in getting into an argument with you about this. If you're this uninformed, after the longest, most exhaustively documented campaign in history, it's because you want to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gynecolojustice posted:

But he's completely right

Test it then. Go wage your war on smugness and see what that does for racism and the economy, the actual reported justifications Trump voters had when they were asked. When no one on earth is smug I'm sure we'll all be free.

• Locked thread