Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

old dog child posted:

e: what is your stance on people who use "Coke" to represent all soda

I asked my wife for a Kleenex today instead of a facial tissue even though the actual brand we use is Puffs. Oh god, I am a monster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The worst part about episode 4 is that it really makes you feel the 13 episode short order. Assuming they had the same story arc and the episode occurred at roughly the same "point" in the season, it would have likely been an episode 8 or 9 mid-season finale, which would have meant more build up and payoff.

Super Deuce posted:

mindless feel good television

This is like the most hilarious oxymoron. They got us to care about the characters through 6 seasons and then had an entire episode of two characters just talking about their lives and friendship. Totally mindless.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Qu Appelle posted:

Jerry/Gary/Terry

I love that his character's name on Andy's show is also Barry. Like it felt like they were saving them up but then decided to go for a twofer since this is the last season.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Not sure which of you is right but in any case with 13 episodes and the finale being a two-parter (or at least listed as episode 12/13), it looks like we are going to get a night with only one episode at some point anyway.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

inthesto posted:

Ann worked because she was the straight woman to the main character.

But if Ann had been axed and Mark given room to grow, it's possible he could have been developed into a likeable character too.

Mark and Ann are totally different types of straight men/woman. Ann is the type who goes along with Leslie or whoever's wackiness but then also tries to keep them grounded by saying something sensible. Mark is the type who looks irritated by the other's antics and then makes some sarcastic remark; the problem being that most of his quips are less funny than the thing he was reacting to.

It's like the Jim to Mark comparison you mentioned before, and how they are meant to be audience surrogates. Jim works because Dwight and Michael are funny but also annoying and obnoxious people, so him giving an exasperated look to the camera matches what the audience is feeling. Ann works because Leslie, Andy et all are funny but also seem genuinely fun to hang out with; Mark doesn't work because his sarcasm comes across as him being a boring kill joy.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

People were specifically targeting Aziz, so others pointed out that it is a problem with the format as a whole. How the holy hell is that "defending" it? They are just saying it doesn't reflect poorly on Aziz himself.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hahahaha who was it who called a Jean Ralphio fake funeral for the previous episode? It is crazy how it happened here instead.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

I'm pretty sure he said that he lost 'most' of his money, so I'd imagine they had enough to be ok. Plus, I figured Donna used her real estate magic to help get him a great house.

Like Soylentbits explained, Ben probably made sure his business was an LLC (limited liability company) so that when the business went under they didn't lose any of their personal wealth or like their house trying to pay off debt. He might've dipped into savings and sold off his pocket square collection as a last ditch effort to keep the restaurant in business, but obviously stopped before he got in too deep.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mark was boooring which in a sitcom is a hundred times worse than being "bad". As tarlibone pointed out, he was basically a character from another show. He was a less charismatic Jim Halpert character who made deadpan sarcastic remarks and gave incredulous looks to the camera. But that stopped working when the show itself got a lot less cynical and embraced the silliness of the other characters.

But for my own curiosity, what made Leslie so bad in seasons 5 and 6?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Super Deuce posted:

She was a comedy blackhole. Mark was dry, but funny.

Okay so now I understand what you're saying about Leslie (although I don't personally agree) but I think the comparison is pretty ridiculous. You're comparing a character who has been the focal point of the show for 5 seasons at that point to a side character whose one note barely allowed him to limp across the finish line of the second season.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Wall has my favorite joke in the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ_1RRxY5tg

Plus Jam repeatedly being awesome.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rewatching the series and great callback: Will Arnett's creepy MRI technician character in the middle of S2 says "you could start out with triplets right off the bat". Pretty cool callback.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Best of Harris and Brett. Holy crap how did I ever forget about the Flintstones dead bird work whistle?

They don't show my favorite Brett moment (maybe because it doesn't include Harris?): "I'll kill 'em...soon as I'm done with these birds..."

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Classy move douchebag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I didn't mean the first season, I meant the first few episodes, because:

The first few episodes attempt some form of sentimentality before ditching that premise altogether.

Yeah it basically took the exact inverse course that P&R did. P&R started more like the Office with "the bureaucracy of small town politics will crush dreams" cynicism and then mostly abandoned that for the power of optimism (literally ditching the one character who espoused that philosophy at the beginning). AD tried to have a little sentimentality but abandoned that for more cynicism.

I love both shows but I can definitely see how AD wouldn't be as appreciated in the P&R thread since they had such polar opposite themes.

• Locked thread