Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
That idea of April and Andy dealing with the reality of having grown up was previously explored to great effect in Jerry's Painting, where Ben tries to teach the duo how to not live like pigs. The difference between then and now is a matter of amounts of hyperbole and style of execution.

In that earlier episode, Ben was trying to get the two of them to live basic human lives. It was a ridiculous, absurd B-story with levels of exaggeration that leave it impossible to believe, yet highly entertaining and heartwarming (the A-story of that episode is somehow even more loving insane and touching).

This 2017 look at the same idea is played much less wildly and much more believably in a very quick series of jokes spread across a very short period of time. The brand name usage and its subsequent jarring nature for both the audience and April is a great culmination of that: April and Andy have become something worse than adults. They've become uninterestingly normal. gently caress.

Speaking as someone who takes hearburn medication, my wife and I always refer to it by name. And she also reminds me every other night to "take your Nexium". I'm 28. That plotline hit home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

DarklyDreaming posted:

Doesn't Aziz Ansari have some bit in his stand-up comedy about watching Jay-Z pay for his own vodka in his own club? I feel like that scene was a callback to that

I thought the same thing, even down to the level of vague recollection.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
They're blue-balling us until a full-throttle Craig tirade can give me the full release I crave.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Quandary posted:

Now that I think about it, the return of Zorp would absolutely be the best possible ending for the show

:allears:

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

SoupyTwist posted:

This was good, but Aziz seemed like he was phoning it in.

His dialogue in his whole first scene was completely ADR'd too, despite the fact that Amy's wasn't. What the hell is going on with him.

Also, you have a fantastic username, m'colleague.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

elwood posted:

"Mayor Larry Gergisch's hot air balloon was shot down over pawnee park (by the park security rangers)... it went down. There were no survivors."

The reality is Garry farted and it ignited.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
It's actually more realistic that these people would marry outside of The Crew, but I guess we have to be mad because it was shoehorned in?

Knowing where and how to be mad at a TV is hard, I'm just gonna laugh at this old fucker on a blimp.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Nobody's mad, stop being childish. It's actually okay and allowed to think a TV show you like isn't perfect, and to discuss ways you wish it were better.

Man if you think I'm the one to tell to stop being childish, you're way behind on this comedy television show thread.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Godspeed you lighthouse of optimism and kindness in a sea of bullshit. May your light never fade, your dock always open for the returned vessel or wayward canoe. You're five thousand candles in the wind.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

lookoutbelow posted:

HO HO. I wonder how many other things like that are buried throughout the finale. J-R finally hit it big, and Tom's the failure.

Tom's no failure. His second book is called Failure 2.0: Failing to Fail. His first book was immensely successful.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

whatever7 posted:

So has anyone read Nick Offerman's book? Is it like a Nick Offerman autobiography or a "Ron Swanson" book?

It's a Nick Offerman book. They sprinkled a lot of Offerman into Ron on the show, but there are a few key differences between the two that's readily apparent. Watching his Netflix special will give you a rather strong indication.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
There are a shocking amount of people in this thread who seem to be completely unaware of who Christie Brinkley is.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I like my optimistic television programs about the benefits and necessities of friendship and hard work to not end showcasing successful Happily Ever Afters for their characters. I would much rather they abandon their themes or at the very least be more ambiguous than the very ambiguous "Who Is President" gambit they perpetrated.

Edit: This season was funny but very fan-servicey and the finale was no different, but rest in peace classic comedy program that I will think fondly of forever.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I was gonna go on a tirade about Christie Brinkley's cultural significance in a series of chronological steps, but at this point I'm pretty sure a lot of people in this thread have never even seen Vacation or understand Billy Joel's place in history, so gently caress it.

I've been Jammed.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
She had kids during the production of this television program. The kids are long out of her now.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Be aware that Party Down is pretty dark especially compared to Parks and Rec. It is not an optimistic show.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Veep and Party Down are brilliant and hysterically funny workplace comedies, but they're almost opposite of Parks and Recreation in terms of that feel-good tone because most of the co-workers on both shows loving hate each other.

Please don't let any of these comments stop you from watching either of these excellent loving television programs.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

myron cope posted:

There's a thing on Netflix (or at least it was, I don't know if it still is) called That Guy...Who Was In That Thing. That was all about the character actor guys. I don't know if it's quite the same thing but that's basically what they said in the movie.

Anyone who's a big fan of character actors or the reality of Hollywood should really watch this documentary. They talk to a lot of the notable ubiquitous guys.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Mark stuck around longer than you remember, and that proves the point.

Edit: Here is a good [ron ]swan[son I am funny as gently caress] song if you've watched the whole show. I find this paragraph to be both true and the easiest way to sell any sitcom fan on giving the show a proper chance:

quote:

So let me put it this way: there is a stretch of 42 episodes spanning seasons 2, 3 and 4 (from "Leslie's House" through "Dave's Return") without a bad one among them. Every sitcom, even the best, churns out a misfire now and then; for two-odd years, every "Parks" episode was at a minimum very good, and at a maximum a classic of the form, mixing slapstick, social satire and simple character-based comedy.

grilldos fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 4, 2016

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
We're on our umpteenth rewatch of seasons 1-4, and it's pretty amazing how noticeably the quality begins petering out in the second half of 4. There are a handful of really good episodes to end that season (the final three episodes are The Debate, Bus Tour, Win/Lose/Draw), but once you hit the Tom/Ann ("Tan") storyline in that season, the show really becomes hit or miss with how cohesively it weaves themes and storylines together, and you can see the seeds of the problems seasons 5 & 6 would come to suffer from -- the shift from character relationships breeding good jokes/stories to seemingly the jokes/plot ideas becoming the jumping off point.

I can't really pinpoint the why seasons 5 and 6 suck from the focal point of the producers & writers involved, because some very talented writers are still in the room or jumping in: Wittels, Nate DiMeo, Alan Yang, Dan Goor, etc.; the showrunner seat was always Michael Schur's. The only definitive thing I've noticed is Chelsea Peretti leaves the show at the end of season 4. I don't particularly like her on camera or on podcast, but I guess she's a great story editor?

We'll be powering through seasons 5 & 6 to get to our first season 7 rewatch, and at this point I'm interested in them out of pure academic curiosity. What the gently caress happened.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

S5 and S6 don't suck, though, for all the problems that they have. There's some great jokes in there, and they play around with some good character pairings they hadn't tried before (Ben and Jerry was great, using Donna more in general was good). But it is aimless - I think the constantly changing episode order hurts it a lot. Also they clearly didn't know what to do with Leslie, and that's not a good place for your main character to be.

Yeah, it depends on your reference point for if they suck. As a cohesive season, definitely. Taken as just a collection of sitcom episodes, far from terrible. They just spent a few years setting a ridiculously high bar for themselves across the board.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

grilldos posted:

We're on our umpteenth rewatch of seasons 1-4, and it's pretty amazing how noticeably the quality begins petering out in the second half of 4. There are a handful of really good episodes to end that season (the final three episodes are The Debate, Bus Tour, Win/Lose/Draw), but once you hit the Tom/Ann ("Tan") storyline in that season, the show really becomes hit or miss with how cohesively it weaves themes and storylines together, and you can see the seeds of the problems seasons 5 & 6 would come to suffer from -- the shift from character relationships breeding good jokes/stories to seemingly the jokes/plot ideas becoming the jumping off point.

I can't really pinpoint the why seasons 5 and 6 suck from the focal point of the producers & writers involved, because some very talented writers are still in the room or jumping in: Wittels, Nate DiMeo, Alan Yang, Dan Goor, etc.; the showrunner seat was always Michael Schur's. The only definitive thing I've noticed is Chelsea Peretti leaves the show at the end of season 4. I don't particularly like her on camera or on podcast, but I guess she's a great story editor?

We'll be powering through seasons 5 & 6 to get to our first season 7 rewatch, and at this point I'm interested in them out of pure academic curiosity. What the gently caress happened.

Nearly done with the season 5 rewatch and it's definitely got a bunch of funny moments that just aren't molded together well into the best stories or theme work. It always seems to shake out to where there are two or three plots involving three or four of the characters as their major players, with the rest of the main cast oddly sprinkled into whichever plot as a Joke Machine. Part of this is they were more and more having characters naturally branch out beyond the Parks office, but then they sort of ran out of reasons for extra characters to be in any particular scene.

Seasons 2-4 were much better about dealing with the Too-Many-Characters problem by (more often than not) giving each character a driver for each particular episode. One that stands out in my mind is Season 4's "Smallest Park". The B plot is Andy going to college; April is naturally there, and then they give Ron something to do by having him finance it and tag along to secure that investment. Then they even tie him into the women's studies class in a way that suits his character. That's a 3 person B plot in an episode with 3 loving plots where all the characters have something to do, with the A plot culminating in the most emotional and satisfying moment of the whole goddamn season. The C plot even involved Jerry in a key way.

The problem with season 5 isn't that it's bad by any means. It's just being compared to the standard set by itself for the last 2 and a half seasons.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpj5ayvP2hk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF