Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Merauder posted:

I'm so goddamn excited for this show to come back. I'm just crushed they brought it back on Tuesdays, when I have other obligations in the evenings and will have to delay watching it until Wednesdays.
On the other hand, it's going to be like having Christmas 7 weeks in a row on Wednesday mornings. :toot:

Also, the real life Cones of Dunshire stuff has to be mentioned (kind of biased since I was involved, I realize, but regardless!); Mayfair Games (makes of Catan, also featured in the show) put on a charity event at GenCon 2014 where a bunch of us nerds played a version of Ben's game for real. In tow was this introduction from Ben and Tom; there's a fun group picture of all of us participants at the end as well. I'm the goofball who bought the Letters to Cleo shirt for the event. :v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7X41K819Jw

ALSO ALSO, in the same vein as the above, fans might want to follow this page on FB: https://www.facebook.com/ConeHiillGames

It's being run my Mayfair, and they're saying they have a big announcement coming soon. WHAT COULD IT BE?! I know, but I'm not telling :ninja:

e: Decided it was time to celebrate with a new avatar while I was at it!

So how was the game? Can you give us a brief ruleset write-up? Was it indeed all about the cones, and would you buy a real version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

There's an extended cut of Pie-Mary on Hulu, so if you haven't seen the ep yet make sure you watch that version instead. There's about 5 minutes of new content for anyone considering watching it again.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I believe the closed captioning said "Winter is coming for Ben Lightstorm."

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Woah, I just noticed that Jamm has a seat at City Council even in the seasons before he shows up. Specifically, it was his seat that Leslie let the model UN students sit in back in season 4, so now I have it in my head that Jamm was so antagonistic because he'd been wanting revenge on Leslie for ruffling up his seat or something.

kayakyakr posted:

Different strokes. Season 5 was my favorite.

Yeah; for me it's the only other show with a cast as likable and a story as feel-good as Parks. Except the difference is that while the Parks cast seems awesome in real life, with Chuck, in real life one of them is Adam Baldwin.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

A lot of the eps of Community are actually pretty heartwarming and through all the weird things they do to manipulate each other, the characters do try to be better people and usually reaffirm their friendship by the end of any given episode--to the point that it was actually very jarring in the one ep they had where they were very explicitly being horrible people to someone outside of their group.

Brooklyn 99 is getting there, and between all the shows I mention in this post, is the only one that's still running/not ending in a few weeks--but I don't quite find it as sweet as Parks yet. However, season 1 was loving hilarious, so it has that to make up for it.

Cougar Town and Happy Endings don't do much for me, to be honest, but a lot of people like these shows, and they definitely lie on the positivity side of things. They're sitcoms about friends hanging out and just being nice to each other. In fact, I think the reason that I'm not into those shows might be that there's so little real conflict between the cast (most of the conflict is goofy friendship stuff) that there's also little real catharsis at the end of an episode.

I also mentioned Chuck earlier, which is not actually a sitcom, but if you asked me what the most feel-good show I knew was, I'd answer with this. Even at its worst (a couple of eps of season 4) it was still a show where all the characters ultimately loved each other. The cast had solid chemistry--for the most part they were likable characters you'd want to hang out with--and the show was full of heart without being overly saccharine.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I just finished it a few hours ago, and I liked it. Kimmy and Leslie would get along well, I think. Kimmy's not the workaholic that Leslie is but she's got the same unbridled optimism. Everyone other than Kimmy feels closer to a caricature than any Parks character ever was, although they do start giving the characters a bit more dimension eventually. The show's sense of humor leans closer to 30 Rock's, and isn't as heartwarming as Parks (yet?), but from what I've seen, it's definitely on the happier side of things rather than cynical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Was this written by Amy Poehler and/or Mike Schur? Or just some random?

Edit: I should have read to the end before replying; it was someone from the writing team

• Locked thread