Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
It's no surprise that people thought the second half of this was better. People like Parks when it's mindless feel good television, apparently. I felt this was a pretty hollow two parter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Tom is an infinitely better character than Leslie. On that we can all agree.

Bring back Mark!

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

NESguerilla posted:

I kind of want to go back and watch season 1 again now. It's been a while but I do remember they hadn't found their groove at all and most of the characters changed drastically by the second season. Didn't Leslie start out as a borderline Michael Scott?

She is ending like Michael Scott, too. Leslie is Michael Scott on a sales call. She is super irritating, but oddly competent. She has been the worst part of the show for the past few seasons/ Every other story has been funnier, and better. Exactly how Michael was.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
That may have been the worst hour of television to ever air.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Davros1 posted:

For me, the best bit was in the Johnny Karate episode after Ben got knighted. Just the shots of him in the background, staring at himself, like he was beginning to transform into a new being was awesome.

That was actually the only part of the episode that wasn't actively horrible in every way. Ben has been the only good part of this show this season. Andy is too overboard, April isn't grim enough, Gerry is too featured, Donna is incredibly bland (as she always feared), Ron lost it a couple years ago, Tom has been nowhere, and Leslie has always been a horrible character.

If this season went completely insane with future jokes it would be way funnier. Right now it's like an extra toe growing out of the side of your foot. The series ended last season.

More Ben, less everyone else.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Eh. Mark was better than Leslie and Chris were in the last two seasons. By a lot, actually. Every Leslie-involved plot for two seasons was bad. Well, actually Leslie wasn't so bad in the future, but in the two seasons before that, oh boy was she the worst.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Guy A. Person posted:

Mark was boooring which in a sitcom is a hundred times worse than being "bad". As tarlibone pointed out, he was basically a character from another show. He was a less charismatic Jim Halpert character who made deadpan sarcastic remarks and gave incredulous looks to the camera. But that stopped working when the show itself got a lot less cynical and embraced the silliness of the other characters.

But for my own curiosity, what made Leslie so bad in seasons 5 and 6?

She was a comedy blackhole. Mark was dry, but funny. Everything Leslie did was selfish, bitchy, or useless feel good nonsense. She always had a happy ending which is not only unfunny, it's annoying. They had every opportunity to make the city council plot entertaining and substantial, but they made it a slapstick idiot-fest that all happily worked out because Leslie was (not) nice.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Every time i've tried watching arrested development i couldnt give a poo poo about any of the characters and found it boring

I agree. Arrested Development is the most overrated "good" show of all time. Jason Bateman is the worst.

Edit - Not show, comedy specifically.

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Did you watch past the first few episodes? Never judge a show by its first few episodes.

I have, but regardless, does that mean I'd have to read the entirety of a book series to say it's not good? I mean, the first few episodes are exactly what you should judge a show by.

The first few episodes of Parks are what I used to judge Parks, because seasons 5 and 6 were awful.

• Locked thread