Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
1.) What is professional wrestling to you? Answer this however you want!
It's a vaudeville with suplexes and top rope flips, also a guilty pleasure

2.) How long have you been a fan? Was there any defining moment that turned you into someone who became a habitual viewer?
I've been watching wrestling for between 25 and 30 years, probably. I think my dad used to put me in front of the weekly wrestling show that aired in France in the mid/late 80s because he liked american sports and shows, so I picked interest naturally.
I believe I became really interested when they started showing PPVs here, and I'd say the very first Royal Rumble I've watched made me a fan. I can't tell you which one it is, but it was probably around 1990 or '91. At that time, wrestling in France was a weekly one hour show on Wednesday afternoons and occasionnal PPVs like Wrestlemania, the Rumble and Survivor Series, airing on a paid channel I didn't get in my room.

3.) Who was your first favorite wrestler?
The Undertaker, and the Rockers' Shawn Michaels. An immortal zombie dude, and a flippy cocky guy ? Yes please.

4.) Have you ever fallen out of following this gay sport? If so, what time period was this? When did you get back into it - and what keeps you watching?
Basically I missed the entire NWO and Attitude eras. In France, wrestling was (and maybe still is) Hulk Hogan. The WWF brand and its roster were absolute seconds to Hogan. So when Hogan went to WCW, so did the french program which aired wrestling, maybe with a few month delay, I think it was around 1995, right before NWO started.
Being a 15 years old teenager I had other occupations at that time so I missed the switch and the one day I picked up the show I was really confused on what was happening, new guys I never heard of, who is Sting, and why aren't the Undertaker, Shawn and Bret here ? It didn't help the commentators never mentionned the switch. Then the Outsiders showed up, so I thought they had rebooted Wrestling, WWF was wrestling and wrestling was WWF for us, it never occured to me there were multiple promotions in the US. Hogan turned heel, the NWO happened, I was barely watching at that time, kind of lost interest, started doing other things and I think the channel utimately dropped the program, or aired it on another timeslot.

Fast forward a few years, it's 2005 and I learn that wrestling is still aired in France, on a channel I could get this time, and a few friends of mine were also interested so I picked it back out of curiosity. Wow, what the hell happened, who is this Batista guy ? Wait, is that the blue blood noble guy with that terrible name I watched a couple of times before they rebooted wrestling, Hunter something something ? He's a top dog now ? Oh hey, Undertaker is still alive, good, oh and Shawn too ! Where the hell are the sleeper holds ?? I caught up with the general wrestling history, learned about the monday night wars, NWO, the attitude era, the WWF buying WCW and becoming WWE, the start of Smackdown....
We watched some matches over the internet with my friends, and the Batista/HHH hell in a cell match, had good fun for a few weeks and I was really digging Batista. Then they drafted Cena to Raw :smith:. What a dick move, WWE, but hey, I had nothing more interesting to do on thursday nights, so I witnessed the John Cena Reign Of Terror, the guys I hated at that time getting kicked out of the promotion (Christian, Jericho and BIschoff, drat I hated them on TV) and ultimately sticked around.

I don't really watch wrestling now, but I like the business as the whole and enjoy reading about it, the backstage stuff, watching the Rumble and Wrestlemania night are still events I don't want to miss.

5.) What promotion was your favorite, alive or dead? What time period from that promotion did you like best?
I really liked good ol' cartoon era WWF, with the terrible gimmicks and coked out promos.

6.) What promotions do you consider your favorites today? What particular things about each one do you enjoy?
I still like WWE as a whole, they have the budget and production values to make a good show, the writing itself is often terrible but whenever they put a Shawn Michaels vs The Undertaker golden match or a Daniel Bryan rise to stardom on Wrestlemania moment, I enjoy it a lot.
Not a promotion itself but their effort with NXT is also a really good thing. I watched the last two NXT specials and they were really good.
I haven't watched a show yet, but Lucha Underground looks really cool and their whole presentation is a refreshing sight.

7.) Who is your favorite wrestler today, and why?
Probably Daniel Bryan, I like his overall attitude. I've never watched ROH or other indy programs, but I've been aware of him since I joined WH2k so I knew the guy was good. Then I watched his match on NXT against Jericho and drat was that good. The WWE probably botched a lot of things with him, but overall that gave us his win at the last Wrestlemania, so all in all, it's all good, right ? On a more physical point of view, the guy is a great all rounder, and of course an awesome technician, hard to not like him.
Ambrose is also a favourite, he's everything Deuce and Domino wanted to be, I really want him with the belt.
Taker, I love you but please never wrestle again.
Shawn, I love you but please show up more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread