Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takuan
May 6, 2007

1.) What is professional wrestling to you? Answer this however you want!
A combination of comic books and kung-fu movies performed for a live audience.

2.) How long have you been a fan? Was there any defining moment that turned you into someone who became a habitual viewer?
Since I was about 13 or 14. Early 1998. Even though I had cousins and friends into wrestling, I never liked it because it was fake. One day, on the bus from school, I overheard a couple of kids talking about a wrestling game where you could pull baseball bats and chairs from the crowd and beat up your opponent with them. I was intrigued, so I rented WCW/nWo World Tour that weekend. I actually had a lot of fun with the game, especially the flippy masked guys, so I decided to give non-video game wrestling a shot. The first thing I saw when I tuned into that first Nitro was a guy with a goofy top-knot-ponytail thing happening introducing himself as "Your Paragon of Virtue". Between that, a chubby dancing skeleton, and a couple guys who actually looked like they were wrestling for reals, I was hooked.

3.) Who was your first favorite wrestler?
Juventud Guererra. The luchadores were what really grabbed my attention, and Juvi was the best of the bunch(since Rey Mysterio Jr was our with an injury at the time). 450 splashes are awesome.

4.) Have you ever fallen out of following this gay sport? If so, what time period was this? When did you get back into it - and what keeps you watching?
After the invasion, I half-heartedly watched WWE for a while, my interest was renewed during the "Smackdown Six" era, but waned again after that. I think I finally gave up on WWE for good when JBL started getting his World Title push. I tried getting into RoH and Japanese wrestling, but ordering dvds/tapes were too expensive, and too much of a hassle. I did enjoy TNA during their few moments of competency.
I got back into wrestling about a year and a half ago, when I found out RoH had a weekly TV show.

5.) What promotion was your favorite, alive or dead? What time period from that promotion did you like best?
WCW. I believe in 1998 WCW had one of the overall most talented rosters of any company at any point in history.

6.) What promotions do you consider your favorites today? What particular things about each one do you enjoy?
RoH, because they consistently provide an hour of decent to fantastic wrestling every week, plus they've had some really great PPV events this past year.
Lucha Underground has been pretty good, and hopefully the El Rey network will let them keep going for a while.
After WrestleKingdom 9, I'm going to start trying to follow New Japan.
Between these three promotions, and all the talented people working for them, I'm more excited about wrestling than I have been in a long time.

7.) Who is your favorite wrestler today, and why?
It's hard to pick just one. Jay Lethal, Jay Briscoe, ACH, AJ Styles, Adam Cole, Shinsuke Nakamura, ReDRagon, Hansen, and The Young Bucks have all been fantastic since I started paying attention to wrestling again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread