Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I fear I'm exactly the sort of wrestling fan the majority of PSP hates.

1.) What is professional wrestling to you? Answer this however you want!
Wrestling is a weekly, live superhero show with vague undercurrents of gymnastics competition. Hair metal and neon are still cool, people can make threats of GBH on international TV without fear of legal action and Johnny Foreigner is still coming to beat our champion and take away our rights. It's dumbass entertainment in the same way reality shows, an Arnie film and a Bon Jovi concert are.

2.) How long have you been a fan? Was there any defining moment that turned you into someone who became a habitual viewer?
About 15 years now. I started watching whenever it was WCW WorldWide began airing on Channel 5 here in England, which I think was mid 2000. That was the first and only wrestling on TV until about 2001, when WWF Heat and a few PPVs were shown at about 1am. Royal Rumble 2001 is what solidified my interest. I still regard that as the best piece of wrestling [anything] ever.

3.) Who was your first favorite wrestler?
I never had any favourites until very recently. I always liked the whole cooperative package of wrestling so I never got behind any specific person. I suppose Goldberg, Sting, Kevin Nash were sort of favourites in the sense that they were the ones hyped up and given more time, and Daffney was kind of a favourite since she stood out so much compared to everyone else. But they were all more just 'memorable' rather than 'favourites'.

4.) Have you ever fallen out of following this gay sport? If so, what time period was this? When did you get back into it - and what keeps you watching?
I think sometime around 2003-2006 I just had no way to watch any wrestling. I kept playing the video games but I didn't have any clue who the new guys were. It was actually finding this board that made me want to catch up again. The internet certainly is what keeps me watching today. 15 years ago we'd all stay up to god-knows-what-time to watch a PPV then talk total gibberish about it at school the next day. That was half the fun. Twitter and forums keeps that alive today, for me.

5.) What promotion was your favorite, alive or dead? What time period from that promotion did you like best?
Later-day WCW. I know it was poo poo. Now, I know it was poo poo. At the time, though, it was the greatest thing—bear in mind I only watched via WorldWide, which was a heavily-edited compilation show with re-dubbed commentary—and I still really fondly remember that era. Big Poppa Pump, GI Bro, The KISS Demon, Slap Nuts, all that poo poo. It was loving terrible and I loved it.
That said, current WWE, as shockingly bad as it has been, is probably the one promotion and period I've been most invested in. I think the larger, constant presence (e.g. Twitter, Network) helps with that. It's still poo poo, but it's such accessible poo poo that it's hard to turn off.

6.) What promotions do you consider your favorites today? What particular things about each one do you enjoy?
WWE is the only thing I watch. I used to watch TNA, but gently caress that. I've had brief flirtings with Japanese wrestling, but it's more just looking up the occasional match here and there. Indie stuff has never interested me in the slightest; I've tried a few times but I just get really bored. The wrestling itself is fine, but I want the pyro and the gargantuan video screens. WWE's the only thing I consistently follow at all, so I suppose it 'wins' by default, unless you count NXT as something separate, in which case that takes it.

7.) Who is your favorite wrestler today, and why?
Paige. She's the only—only—wrestler I've ever really gotten invested in. I love her moves, I love her music, her look, everything. Even just little things like how she does a superkick with a straight leg rather than the same-old HBK-style bent knee that everybody else does. Rampaige is, by far and away, my favourite move in WWE. I'm never nationalistic about anything else, but :britain: does help a little, too. I'm nowhere close to paying $20,000 for the fluff from her trouser pocket, unlike some people, but the fact that I even paid £20 for her t-shirt is something of a milestone, given I've never before felt inclined to buy any wrestling merch other than the games. I may be a 27-year-old guy with a gigantic collection of 60s blues on vinyl, but inside I'm a 15-year-old girl listening to Evanescence. Paige is the coolest. :allears:
Runners-up would be Rusev—I love throwbacks—BNB, Sasha Banks, Brock Lesnar, Goldust & Stardust and Charlotte. I like the idea of Bray Wyatt but he's become such a non-threat, especially since losing Harper and Rowan, that it is becoming increasingly hard to care. He could still be my #2 if they took him darker and didn't make him completely ineffective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread