Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

1.) What is professional wrestling to you? Answer this however you want!

People training with everything they have to become very good at pretending to harm others, in the service of telling a story written by lunatics. I enjoy the plots through at least a layer or two of what the kids are calling irony nowadays, but enjoy the actual wrestling and theatrics 100% genuinely for their talent and athleticism and always have.

2.) How long have you been a fan? Was there any defining moment that turned you into someone who became a habitual viewer?

I grew up as a tiny babby rooting for British Bulldog and Bret Hart. My first wrestling memories are from around 93/94.

3.) Who was your first favorite wrestler?

Bret Hart

4.) Have you ever fallen out of following this gay sport? If so, what time period was this? When did you get back into it - and what keeps you watching?

During the WCW invasion angle I was very sad about how they were treating DDP and Scott Steiner among other things and then stopped watching until around 05, watched till 07 then quit until a couple weeks before Rumble 2014. I watch to see people I find entertaining get to do entertaining things and see success at their role, and seeing people get misused sours me completely on the entire product, even if the rest of it is good. gently caress politics, I wanna see technical people do cool poo poo in service of silly plots.

5.) What promotion was your favorite, alive or dead? What time period from that promotion did you like best?

I will always have a big fondness for Attitude era but WCW after Steiner turned and became NWO is likely my favourite just because of him. The promotion was on the way downhill but the plots were so stupid, and if you could force yourself to ignore the garbage at the top of the card it had amazing performers doing amazing things for amazingly terrible reasons. Plus come on, no one cut a better coked out roidrage promo than Scotty. Bret Hart was my first favourite but Scotty topped him in my heart.

6.) What promotions do you consider your favorites today? What particular things about each one do you enjoy?

I watch WWE hoping that they will treat Cesaro and Ambrose better (they won't) but my favourite for the past few months has been NJPW. Bullet Club owns, great pure wrestling across the board, plots aren't hard to keep up with. Jeff Jarrett bringing it over to english makes him best promoter 20ever

7.) Who is your favorite wrestler today, and why?

Active wrestler in a major promotion? It's kind of a tossup between Styles, Tanahashi, Ambrose or Bryan for the men, and a tie between Paige and Charlotte for the women. If I had to narrow that down to co-ed, Paige and Charlotte would edge out Bryan and Ambrose.

In history? Scott Steiner just barely edging out Bret Hart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Quote is not edit

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

The Big Taff Man posted:

I love Cena too.

I know the rule in the thread for not yelling at others so please do not construe this as an insult. I genuinely want to thank you for saying that because I have never heard or seen an adult actually say they like Cena (above any and almost all others, no less), and it is kind of incredible. Again, not to be confrontational, just curious, but what is it that brings you back to him over other workers? Being able to hear an articulate adult express why they like Cena has been something I've always wanted.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Other than that I guess I will be that arsehole who says an indie geek - Kenny Omega. Dude has wrestled blow up dolls and 9 year old girls. How can you not love that.

I said an indie geek first :( Kenny is great, barely missed my minilist. A special sort of wrestler than manages to have a somewhat traditional look, great ringstyle and workrate, knows what he is doing and can tell a good story, but can also let loose and do dumb poo poo as well. If a wrestler can't go from serious to stupid poo poo to serious again and not have it work, then they're in the wrong industry and Omega has always managed it pretty well :unsmith:

• Locked thread