Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
1.) What is professional wrestling to you? Answer this however you want!
Professional wrestling, in my eyes, is a way for large men to act with one another through the means of pretending to hurt one another, either emotionally with a microphone or physically with fake punches and real throws.

2.) How long have you been a fan? Was there any defining moment that turned you into someone who became a habitual viewer?
Just hit a year. Mid-late '13 was a mess for me emotionally due to relationship garbage (A tip: If you break up, sever immediately, trust me), then while depressed and browsing Youtube I ran into some old Wrestlemania matches (Stuff like Macho v. Steamboat, Warrior v. Hogan, Shawn v. Razor) and fell in love. Watched through pretty much all the classics and what random TV show matches I could find in glorious 280-360p. Decided that I would make a few changes in my life and stick with them as long as possible, and when the new year rolled over one of those changes was to start watching wrestling, something I had no interest or exposure to at all previously (Until December 2013 I could name you maybe a max of 10 wrestlers from the entire history of wrestling, and Mick Foley or Batista or Randy Orton or any other fairly big name were not among them; I thought HHH was some kind of early 2000s death metal band lol, so I don't count him among the wrestlers 2013-me could name for you).

Watched "reruns" on Dailymotion until I found out that PSP had game day threads and then joined you all here and started watching live. Now it's more about having fun and laughing at poo poo in those threads than it is just watching Raw and the PPVs.

3.) Who was your first favorite wrestler?
From watching old matches on Youtube: Jake the Snake, despite being a DQ machine with that snake of his, closely followed by Rick Rude.
From actual watching the modern product: Damien Sandow; first modern match I saw was him versus Kofi on the Main Event the last week of December '13. If you had told me, after watching my first modern match, which was a 23 minute match between Sandow and Kofi where I felt they both looked strong and good, that they were in fact complete jokes who rarely won and were never given chances, I wouldn't have believed you; then I started watching Raw and understood just what I was getting myself into.

4.) Have you ever fallen out of following this gay sport? If so, what time period was this? When did you get back into it - and what keeps you watching?
No, because I've only been in it for a year and I like to laugh at fiery trainwrecks so it has to get a lot worse for me to really consider quitting, but I was playing Payday 2 with some friends during that one Raw when The Rock came out and cut a promo on Lana and Rusev, so I guess I sort of fell out of it that one day in favor of running the Hotline Miami heist. Aside from that I don't catch Smackdown or Superstars much anymore unless there's something interesting in spoilers and sometimes miss Main Event depending on if I've got anything better to do on my Tuesdays, or I guess it'll be Thursdays now?

5.) What promotion was your favorite, alive or dead? What time period from that promotion did you like best?
Since I didn't watch wrestling back in the day, I'll just say that from what all I've watched, it would have been WCW. On the tombstone is inscribed "They tried." Rise of the nWo before it got crazy, although I do find the late period where it was all falling apart hilarious.

6.) What promotions do you consider your favorites today? What particular things about each one do you enjoy?
WWE and Lucha Underground.

WWE has the all-around talent and a fairly deep roster that could cover pretty much every base, but they actively choose to ignore that so I watch it to laugh at the dumb bullshit they do on a weekly basis and post in the GDTs.

Lucha Underground I like because it's campy as hell and has a more intimate feel without feeling like they have no resources or just record it in a school gym or whatever. I also feel like it's easier to get into than the traditional lucha promotions, since it's so new I could start from the literal first episode and follow it instead of jumping in ~90 years into its existence or whatever and missing a million classic moments.

I can't rightly call NXT its own promotion, but if it were it would be that because it combines the things I said about the promotions above, including the hilarious mess aspect since there are wrestlers like Bull Dempsey and Baron Corbin on it. NXT is the total package, which is why Lex Luger should be NXT GM.

7.) Who is your favorite wrestler today, and why?
Damien Sandow for men, definitely. He's misused to hell and back, but I can see that the dude's got talent in pretty much every area, from in-ring work to promos. Plus, he wrestles a more classic WWF style, which I grew to enjoy while watching those grainy-rear end Youtube videos much more than the more modern spot-hitting style of wrestling.

Natty for women. It's harder to make a choice there, though, since they're given so much less time and chances than the men, so I'm basing that entirely off of what I've seen on NXT.

There's plenty of wrestlers I like though, and being honest with you, I think even the worst of the worst (Eva Marie, Big Show, etc) could be used much better either in the ring or out of it than they are if WWE were vaguely competent and not run by petty musclemanchildren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread