Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

1.) What is professional wrestling to you? Answer this however you want!

It's a story about people fighting to be the best, and all the twists, turns, and struggles that come with trying to reach the top while everyone else in the world has the same dream.

2.) How long have you been a fan? Was there any defining moment that turned you into someone who became a habitual viewer?

I think I became a fan in early 1997. I was flipping channels and came across Nitro. I believe it was a match involving either Ultimo Dragon or Rey Mysterio Jr, and I was hooked because I love sports, and this stuff was clearly real to 9-year old me, dammit.

3.) Who was your first favorite wrestler?

Rey Mysterio Jr. I still love him, even if he's a broken-down shell of his former self. :(

4.) Have you ever fallen out of following this gay sport? If so, what time period was this? When did you get back into it - and what keeps you watching?

I started to fall out of love with wrestling after the Invasion, and slowly cared less and less until Triple H's Reign of Doom and Evolution began, which killed my interest completely. I got back into it when my dorm ordered Wrestlemania XXIV, and after the great Money in the Bank match I was considering getting back into it.

But what really convinced me was Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels. I loved Shawn as a kid, and was pretty much neutral on Flair, since I had only watched WCW from 1996 to 1998, so Flair was Just A Guy, and I liked all the other Horsemen a lot more than him (yes, even Mongo). But that match was so great that at the end we were all praying for Flair to beat Shawn.

Between that match and the main event having one of my favorites DA UNDERTAKAH beating Edge to keep The Streak alive and win the World Heavyweight Championship, that show brought me back in full force.

5.) What promotion was your favorite, alive or dead? What time period from that promotion did you like best?

My favorite promotions are WCW, WWF, and New Japan. WCW 1996 until Starrcade 1997 was really special, and as a kid I loved drat near all of it, and I couldn't wait to see My Hero Sting beat That Jerk Hollywood Hogan. Then the match happened and welp.

I loved WWF from Austin vs. Michaels to pretty much the death of WCW. At the end of day, kid me loved seeing the good guy beat up the bad guy, and where WCW failed to deliver in the end, WWF was almost non-stop Good Guy rear end Kicking, and it was wonderful. It's also why I can only get so annoyed at John Cena's booking. WWF's always been about the good guy wrecking the bad guy, and that's just never going to change.

I've loved New Japan from 2012 to today.

6.) What promotions do you consider your favorites today? What particular things about each one do you enjoy?

Right now my favorites are New Japan and Lucha Underground. The action in New Japan is second to none, and it just feels like such a great sport. On top of that, I just feel like every major match actually matters to the guy's competing, so it feels real, despite everyone and their mother knowing it isn't.

Lucha Underground is almost the complete opposite, where it takes such a unique approach to wrestling, going all-out to treat it like a self-contained universe and story that just happens to involve guys fighting in a ring, that I'm hooked. The one hour format is also far, far easier to digest than what WWE or TNA offer.

7.) Who is your favorite wrestler today, and why?

Kazuchika Okada. One thing that bums me about WWE and TNA is that when I look at everyone there, I just see a bunch of 'oh, that sure is a guy that exists'. Okada went from being a nobody in TNA, to showing up in New Japan and going "Ok top dog I am going to take your title right now" and then he succeeded. It'd be like if when McGillicutty became Curtis Axel he beat Triple H clean as could be instead of the weird whatever the hell that happened. I can look at Okada and immediately go "Anybody in New Japan could get a chance at being The Man" and it makes me so happy.

I mean, on top of that he owns in drat near every way, but that's not what I like most about him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

What I learned is that my memory is terrible.

• Locked thread