Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

1.) What is professional wrestling to you? Answer this however you want!

Storytelling. People say that a fighting game doesn't actually need a story but it's EXPECTED to have one, but I've always been in the camp of people who actually give a drat about the canon of Mortal Kombat. I have all the Udon Street Fighter comics and I played through every single campaign mode in every Dead Or Alive, Tekken and Soul Calibur game. I see wrestling largely the same way I always saw those games, a universe just far enough from reality to allow for crazy poo poo like undead wrestle wizards, where cool characters with colorful personalities and outfits work out their differences, achieve their life goals and prove who the best is by fighting.

2.) How long have you been a fan? Was there any defining moment that turned you into someone who became a habitual viewer?

I started with WCW around 1997-99, but nothing from that period sticks out in my memory other than the Leno match. I do know that I came out of that period with an eternal love for DDP, Rey Misterio, The Giant and Sting, they were all my favorites. I first started watching wrestling seriously in 2002, on the night of Triple H's return from injury to kick off the Royal Rumble build.

3.) Who was your first favorite wrestler?

DDP almost certainly even though I can't remember any of his matches or promos other than the aforementioned Leno. My first favorite in WWF was probably Triple H, although I feel in absolute love with The Hurricane almost immediately as well.

4.) Have you ever fallen out of following this gay sport? If so, what time period was this? When did you get back into it - and what keeps you watching?

Sometime in '04 I just lost track. I don't think anything about the show was turning me off or anything, but sometimes soon after Mania 20 I just wasn't on it anymore. I never saw the JBL character or Evolution turn on Orton so right around those two events must be when I stopped watching. I got back in pretty much at random once again in... I think it was 2010? It was right in the middle of Nexus and Shaemus' title run. My clearest memory is of a promo involving Mike Tyson and Cena talking about Punch Out. Either way, I was watching very intermittently until about Summerslam 2012, which is when I started watching weekly. What got me back into it was mostly the same stuff as always, interesting characters and storylines.

5.) What promotion was your favorite, alive or dead? What time period from that promotion did you like best?

'02-'03 WWE was magical for me and hooked me a lot harder than the stuff I watched at the height of WCW's creative. It was full of all-time dream matches, gorgeous presentation, amazing gimmicks, tons of fun storylines, every title belt felt like it was worth something despite them having like 7 or more... Some people look back on that era as the beginning of the end, but it was a golden age in my eyes.

6.) What promotions do you consider your favorites today? What particular things about each one do you enjoy?

WWE is still my favorite for those flashes of brilliance and for NXT showing me a glimpse of what I hope Raw can become. I'm starting to branch out to Chikara and NJPW for the hilarious goofy anime stories and the awesome matches respectively. I hope GFW does even more with english commentary for NJPW, Wrestlekingdom makes me crave more.

7.) Who is your favorite wrestler today, and why?

Probably Dean Ambrose. His promos, mannerisms and in-ring performances are all so good at making me feel things and care about him, his character feels very unique, and he can make almost any stupid thing work somehow. Stolen Hotdog Cart? I went nuts for that! Daniel Bryan is a VERY close second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread