Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

1.) What is professional wrestling to you? Answer this however you want!

The line I always use when talking to non wrestling fans is "a soap opera with violence", or "oily musclemen in spandex pretending to hit each other". But perhaps less glibly I would say it is an athletic performance that has goodies, baddies, and fighting in it.

2.) How long have you been a fan? Was there any defining moment that turned you into someone who became a habitual viewer?

I have been a fan for a long long time. When I was a little kid, (more than 20 years ago), our local video rental store had a 5 weeklies for $10, and the rule was 1 Jackie Chan video, 1 wrestling video, (one of the old WWF Colliseum Video ones), my brother and I woudl each choose 1 and our dad got to choose 1. No real defining moment that turned me into a fan, but a few that I remember. I remember Hulk Hogan becoming Hollywood Hogan was a thing that got me VERY excited and drew me back into watching for a time. I remember the first TLC match with Dudleys/Hardys/E&C as being a "holy poo poo" moment.

3.) Who was your first favorite wrestler?

Junk Yard Dog. But later on I LOVED WCW Heel Jericho. I really wanted a Monday Night Jericho T-Shirt

4.) Have you ever fallen out of following this gay sport? If so, what time period was this? When did you get back into it - and what keeps you watching?

Yeah. Everybody has. I got back into it because when I was 16 or so my parents got Pay TV, (OptusVision), and that had WCW on it. So I would watch Nitros with my younger brother, and it had wrestlers we remembered like Hulk Hogan and Macho Man. Fast forward to now, I am a follower, as opposed to a regular watcher, because I don't have Pay TV, and as such can't watch regularly.

5.) What promotion was your favorite, alive or dead? What time period from that promotion did you like best?

I liked Goldberg-era WCW. But that is nostalgia speaking. The main events were poo poo, but there was always something to keep you interested. Heel conspiracy Jericho. Cruiserweights flipping out all over the place. Norman Smiley. etc.

6.) What promotions do you consider your favorites today? What particular things about each one do you enjoy?

NJPW What I have seen. I have been lucky to see a NJPW show live at Korakuen hall a few years ago and it was ACE! (It was a NJPW/CMLL cross promotion and I was there for both shows.)

7.) Who is your favorite wrestler today, and why?

Is it OK to say CM Punk? I know he has retired and will never come back, but he was just so much fun to watch. Heel or Face. Other than that I guess I will be that arsehole who says an indie geek - Kenny Omega. Dude has wrestled blow up dolls and 9 year old girls. How can you not love that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread