Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Found an old poll topic HulkaMatt posted in October 2012 and I thought it would be interesting to see how the the tastes of PSP have changed since then. PSP's certainly experienced some userbase turnover in 2+ years and many of us that were around then have markedly different preferences today. I know that's the case for myself at least, as I said in 2012 that CHIKARA was my favorite promotion and I couldn't have imagined being a huge fan of a serious foreign language promotion with simple storylines only a couple years later.

1.) What is professional wrestling to you? Answer this however you want!

2.) How long have you been a fan? Was there any defining moment that turned you into someone who became a habitual viewer?

3.) Who was your first favorite wrestler?

4.) Have you ever fallen out of following this gay sport? If so, what time period was this? When did you get back into it - and what keeps you watching?

5.) What promotion was your favorite, alive or dead? What time period from that promotion did you like best?

6.) What promotions do you consider your favorites today? What particular things about each one do you enjoy?

7.) Who is your favorite wrestler today, and why?

:siren: DO NOT ARGUE WITH OTHERS THAT THEY ARE THE "WRONG" KIND OF FAN:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'll re-use and slightly alter my 2012 answers for #2-#4 as they certainly still apply.

1.) What is professional wrestling to you? Answer this however you want!

As everyone else has said, It's a strangely compelling combination of storytelling, athletic prowess, showmanship and pagentry. It's also an unique industry that's kept me interested even at times where I haven't watched much actual wrestling. I'm not a fan of the current WWE product, but the goings on and general corporate culture of a company that's 50% giant soulless corporation and 50% insular family run business owned by crazy people is endlessly fascinating.

2.) How long have you been a fan? Was there any defining moment that turned you into someone who became a habitual viewer?

Started watching as a small child in the late '80s. My older brother got into it first and I started watching Hogan Era WWF with him. My first memory is of a SNME during the Hogan vs Andre feud when I was very young, but I only really got into it seriously in 1989 when I went to a local house show with my family which was really the moment I turned into a rabid fan. I started to beg my mom for Apter mags from the grocery store which helped me discover WCW and provided me with my first look into Puro and the last years of Memphis.

3.) Who was your first favorite wrestler?

Jake the Snake! Loved everything about the guy, from the name, the promos, to the finisher, and of course the huge rear end python he toted around with him made an instant impression on me. Rick Rude and Rick Martel were definitely the wrestlers I hated the most as a little kid due to their feuds with him. Taker is also a notable guy from my early days as a fan since he was the first guy I rooted for against Hogan.

4.) Have you ever fallen out of following this gay sport? If so, what time period was this? When did you get back into it - and what keeps you watching?

Yeah. During the 90's and 2000's I followed the same pattern as many did of watching when it was hot but not when it was cold. I stopped following wrestling in favor of real sports at around 1993 much to the delight of my parents. During the mid '90s I had no awareness of wrestling at all and had no idea in November 1997 that anything notable happened in the industry that month.

In '98 wrestling re-emerged in the mainstream public eye and I started hearing kids talk about it at school again. Then on a random Monday night in the spring of '98, my dad and I were flipping through the channels and came across an episode of Nitro. The first segment I saw was a Chris Jericho rules lawyer heel promo during his feud with Malenko and I was instantly hooked. This was also during the initial stages of Goldberg's monster push and my Jewish dad found it hilarious and probably more awesome than he wanted to admit that "Goldberg" was used as a intimidating chant.

My dad switched the channel after the Goldberg squash, but I went up to my bedroom and continued watching until 11. From that point on I basically made sure to tune in to wrestling every Monday night to see what was going on. Since WCW was what got em back into wrestling and they had more of the late '80's and early '90s guys I remembered I mostly watched WCW though I'd occasionally channel flip.

Like many others I was one of the fans who made the switch to Raw after Eric Bischoff gave away Cactus Jack winning the WWF title and was pissed off at the Fingerpoke. Discovered the crappy '90s IWC rumor sites like Rajah early in '99 and that just furthered my obsession. Still vividly remember reading about Owen Hart's death on Lords of Pain.

While I remained a avid viewer for the rest of the Attitude era, I definitely started watching less regularly after the Invasion. Stopped watching completely in early '06 when I moved out of my parents' house and lost access to cable. I still kept up on industry news though and lurked this forum occasionally. I very clearly recall lurking the Raw is Benoit thread as the real story started to emerge.

I started watching again when I discovered live streams of WWE in 2010. My interest in WWE has ebbed and flowed since then, but there's always been some alternative whether ROH or NJPW I've been genuinely into to keep my interest high.

5.) What promotion was your favorite, alive or dead? What time period from that promotion did you like best?
1998 WCW, 1999-01 WWF, and current NJPW

6.) What promotions do you consider your favorites today? What particular things about each one do you enjoy?

NJPW by far. While I'm more interested in WWE as a business than an entertainment product, I can just enjoy NJPW as a fan. They provide me the match quality and the general feel that they're letting the guys do what they're best at that the indies gave me a couple years ago combined with big fed production quality and pagentry. Their main event matches are consistently great and they showcase a unique array of characters and simple but compelling storylines that I can invest myself in. It's fun as hell to deliriously scream at my TV at 5 in the morning cheering on my favorite wrestlers.

I also like DG quite a bit too since they provide a bit of the craziness I used to enjoy in CHIKARA. PWG's fun as hell and easy to follow since they only run a few times a year. ROH is a great live experience and I enjoy seeing them in person multiple times a year. I'm not as into their televised product as I used to be though now that many of my favorites have gone elsewhere.

7.) Who is your favorite wrestler today, and why?

In 2012 I had to cop out and provide a list of 5 since I couldn't make up my mind. Now I can reply without hesitation that the answer is Shinsuke Nakamura.

The man just has that unique charisma that embodies so much of what I genuinely enjoy about wrestling and is one of if not the best in workers out there. Everything he does is just compelling, from ring entrances, gestures, promos, to actual ringwork. Because NJPW can book and doesn't force their guys into doing stupid promos and storylines I've never thought anything he's done since I started watching NJPW in 2012 was boring, cheesy, or lame unlike WWE's super talented guys like Daniel Bryan.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 13, 2015

• Locked thread