Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
1.) What is professional wrestling to you? Answer this however you want!
A pretty unique live-action stunt performance, often full of the greatest cheese this side of a hair metal video. There's nothing like it in entertainment. It's interesting to me from a TV production aspect, a business aspect, and sometimes also happens to be really fun to watch plot-wise. For the most part I'm just fascinated by the industry itself, even though I'll talk for hours on end about fake wrestleman stories online. I once saw someone sum it up really well: When it's good, it's some of the best stuff on TV. When it's bad, it's some of the worst stuff on TV. How it manages to do both, often at the same time, baffles and fascinates me.

2.) How long have you been a fan? Was there any defining moment that turned you into someone who became a habitual viewer?
Late 80s. I was very young. A family friend's kids were into it, so I started watching at their house, then I started watching at home too. I remember Wrestlemania IV but I don't know if I saw it live or taped.

3.) Who was your first favorite wrestler?
Jake Roberts. His cold and quiet persona made me notice him above all the yelly muscley dudes. Also snakes are totally rad.

4.) Have you ever fallen out of following this gay sport? If so, what time period was this? When did you get back into it - and what keeps you watching?
Mid 90s. I grew up, wrestling didn't. I caught some ECW at a friend's house a few years later and was like "holy poo poo it's cool again", so I started watching the big three when the ratings war was in full swing. Somewhere around the mid/late 00s I took a break from WWE specifically. Eddie's death made me kind of hate how unhealthy the industry was, and Benoit sealed that. I was already watching some ROH, NWA:TNA, lucha and puro in the 00s, so I just started watching it a lot more. I still kept tabs on WWE results, but what brought me back was Punk winning the WHC since I was a big ROH fan of his. I caught up on what I missed (Spirit Squad lol) and then stuck with it for some godforsaken reason, though I sporadically stop paying attention sometimes when it gets bad.

Right now WWE is frustrating as hell to watch, so unless I'm watching Raw live with PSP I mostly skim through shows just to watch the parts I like and skip over the crap and the filler. It's either gotten worse, or I'm just sick of the same old poo poo. What keeps me watching is that every once in a while they accidentally do something great (Nexus, Punk's pipebomb, Shield, Bryan, etc), and also that I like their talent better than I like the company. What keeps me watching Japanese stuff is that it owns.

5.) What promotion was your favorite, alive or dead? What time period from that promotion did you like best?
Late 90s ECW. They got away with so much and I loved the DIY aesthetic of it, especially as an angsty teen. Later, I was super into early 00s Toryumon and would scour tape sites to get my hands on it, but I lost my source about a year or so after the switch to Dragon Gate.

6.) What promotions do you consider your favorites today? What particular things about each one do you enjoy?
I know it's not it's own promotion but I'll say NXT since it's seemingly run so differently. It's not nearly as frustrating as WWE and is booked very solidly, and full of tons of talent. I've watched a fair bit of NJPW before but I'm getting a lot more into it after WK9, because it's just drat good wrestling. I'm getting back into Dragon Gate too, because it's still fun and a lot of my favorites are still around. I still keep tabs on indies, but other than specific matches I don't follow much else. I've given Lucha Underground a try but I'm still kind of iffy on whether or not I want to follow it weekly.

7.) Who is your favorite wrestler today, and why?
I don't really have a #1 favorite, but for WWE I really like Dean Ambrose, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Sami Zayn, and Finn Balor (that's my fave five, dawg). For women's wrestling, I'm a really big Sasha Banks fan - she's already this good at only 22, so barring injury she's got a great career ahead. I'm also going to start looking back for more Okada and Nakamura; I've seen several of their matches before, but WK9 really impressed me and made me want more. In DG I always liked BxB Hulk and CIMA, and they're still great.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

sticklefifer posted:

4.) Have you ever fallen out of following this gay sport? If so, what time period was this? When did you get back into it - and what keeps you watching?
Mid 90s. I grew up, wrestling didn't. I caught some ECW at a friend's house a few years later and was like "holy poo poo it's cool again", so I started watching the big three when the ratings war was in full swing. Somewhere around the mid/late 00s I took a break from WWE specifically. Eddie's death made me kind of hate how unhealthy the industry was, and Benoit sealed that. I was already watching some ROH, NWA:TNA, lucha and puro in the 00s, so I just started watching it a lot more. I still kept tabs on WWE results, but what brought me back was Punk winning the WHC since I was a big ROH fan of his. I caught up on what I missed (Spirit Squad lol) and then stuck with it for some godforsaken reason, though I sporadically stop paying attention sometimes when it gets bad.

Actually I just realized this isn't entirely true - oddly enough it was video games that brought me back both times. In the 90s I hadn't watched in a few years, and then I started playing WCW/nWo Revenge on N64, and THEN I checked out ECW after someone mentioned that's where a lot of the WCW guys came from. In the 00s when I was watching anything-but-WWE, I was playing one of the Smackdown vs Raw games with a friend and kept picking CM Punk as my character, THEN I found out he was champion and started watching again.

Senerio posted:

I like WWE, when the wrestlers I personally enjoy get to wrestle, which is often, as there is really only one wrestler I don't totally enjoy, and he's currently out injured.

I'm curious who that is. I'm guessing Bo?

• Locked thread