Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
1.) What is professional wrestling to you? Answer this however you want!

It's the quintessential American performing art. It's dirty, stupid carny-ism. It's a really cool TV show that weirdly has its season finale in March and its season premiere in April. It's the best scripted live television show with no commercials every 4 weeks. It's also a meat grinder that destroys people's bodies and lives just to make a slightly less-bad bottom line. It's also really offensive on a regular basis.

2.) How long have you been a fan? Was there any defining moment that turned you into someone who became a habitual viewer?

I was about age 9-18 really hardcore. Then trickled off until the Benoit/Guerrero double punch. The first moment I really remember was around the Spring Stampede with the great DDP vs Raven match. Either that, or I think a little later the same year, when Goldberg won the WCW Title from Hulk Hogan. Before those I just kind of idly watched Saturday morning stuff with my dad and maybe a random PPV at a friend's house.

Getting back into it - I just got the WWE Network on a whim, and watched Wrestlemania this year with zero context. Then this cool guy named Cesaro won a battle royal, Bray Wyatt had the best entrance since Y2J, Brock Lesnar shocked the entire world, and some guy named Daniel Bryan overcame the odds and won the title.

3.) Who was your first favorite wrestler?

Raven. Easily! What about me?! What about RAVEN?! I loved his catchphrases, his grunge look, his Flock. And then as I got deeper into the wrestling rabbit hole, I went back past his WCW stuff and fell in love with him all over again in ECW. FINALLY I saw his TNA run, which from the beginning, up through the big Jeff Jarrett NWA Title feud, was really great. And going to all the TNA shows live, I also got to meet him, and he was really smart and not a total dick to me.

4.) Have you ever fallen out of following this gay sport? If so, what time period was this? When did you get back into it - and what keeps you watching?

Like I said before - going to college and then the super disheartening Benoit murder-suicide and Eddie Guerrero's death - made wrestling seem a lot less fun. I'd guess it was about 2006 to 2014. I didn't see a minute of anything, not even a Wrestlemania. With the Network I've slightly caught back up on some of the stuff I missed. I got back into it with what I said above - WWE seemed really cool at Wrestlemania, and the Network makes it really cheap and convenient to watch PPVs live. I keep watching just due to the - anything can happen- factor. I'm not a total mark or anything, but once Brock Lesnar pinned Undertaker at Wrestlemania, and then beat Cena like he was the Brooklyn Brawler...

5.) What promotion was your favorite, alive or dead? What time period from that promotion did you like best?

All time, it is probably the WWF/E, just because they were/are the top for so long. But I think WCW in the mid-late 90s with every kid wearing an nWo shirt was my favorite. Just from being a pure mark and living and dying with everything.

6.) What promotions do you consider your favorites today? What particular things about each one do you enjoy?

The only one I really watch now is WWE. I just like the cheap PPVs and somewhat the unpredictability. They usually have enough good matches to be worth $10. Even if they're really bad, I get the rest of my value through the great wealth of stuff in On Demand. NXT is also a complete bonus. I've watched all their big shows and a little bit of the weekly shows too.

7.) Who is your favorite wrestler today, and why?

Dolph Ziggler. It's hard to put my finger on it. He just seems to be trying harder than everyone else.

Also I have to give love to Dean Ambrose as an honorable mention. He seems like someone who gets so many of the little things in wrestling that make it great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread