Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

1.) What is professional wrestling to you? Answer this however you want!

It's a cocktail of absurdity where a bunch of manchildren get together and try to tell the best story that they can through impressive athletics, improvisation and hammy acting while trying not to be knocked off-course by their petty human flaws. When it goes right, it's amazing. When it goes wrong, it's amazing.

2.) How long have you been a fan? Was there any defining moment that turned you into someone who became a habitual viewer?

I've been a fan since January of 1991. I tuned in to WWF Wrestling Challenge one day while channel surfing and saw Superfly Snuka take apart a jobber. I was thinking it was pretty rad and they hooked me when they did the Royal Rumble Report. They no longer ever go down the names of wrestlers in the Rumble match and that's a shame because it was kind of a sensory overload thing to me to show me a bunch of colorful/badass characters rapid fire like that. Even for the ones who sucked. When I told my friend about it, he was all, "You haven't been watching this? Where have you been?" Then we ended up having a big Royal Rumble party with some others.

3.) Who was your first favorite wrestler?

Ultimate Warrior was probably my first favorite wrestler along with Jake Roberts and Big Boss Man. It kind of sucked that I came in right as Warrior was losing the belt, but I figured that he'd get it back soon enough. Nope.

I recall Earthquake being the first heel I genuinely liked. Except when he killed Damien.

4.) Have you ever fallen out of following this gay sport? If so, what time period was this? When did you get back into it - and what keeps you watching?

I fell out of it a bit around 96/97. I didn't so much stop completely as I just kind of stopped paying attention most of the time. It was background noise and I remember very little about that time period.

I also stopped watching when they decided to turn Punk heel during his lengthy title reign because I got too frustrated with the product. I only read up on the results and the Shield brought me back in.

5.) What promotion was your favorite, alive or dead? What time period from that promotion did you like best?

I really like what Chikara stands for and when they're firing on all cylinders, they're everything I love about wrestling. Probably the best time period for them was 2007. That whole year was rich in quality where the worst thing you'd get was having to sit through the occasional Mitch Ryder or Shane Storm match.

6.) What promotions do you consider your favorites today? What particular things about each one do you enjoy?

Still loving Chikara, especially since they've dialed down the complicated storytelling quite a bit. I mean, that year off storyline was interesting in its ambition, but it was not any good. While the current product suffers from relying too much on in-house talent instead of mixing it up with indie favorites, the in-ring stuff has been good enough to keep my attention. Really, it's the storytelling that keeps me coming back because even when you get past the silly comic book poo poo with mind-control and time-travel, you're still getting storylines that make sense with a beginning, middle and end. I can think of very few angles that were dropped without resolution and those were mostly because of people leaving abruptly.

NXT is hitting very similar notes for me lately and it makes me wish the main WWE product could have that level of competency.

Otherwise, I'm trying to branch out more these days. I bought a shitload of PWG DVDs, ordered the last PPVs for ROH and NJPW and I intend to get caught up on Lucha Underground.

7.) Who is your favorite wrestler today, and why?

On one hand, I'd say Dean Ambrose. There's something about him where even when the company shits on him, I don't care because I know he's going to be fine. He's too good not to stand out and endure. Everything he does is fun and has bite to it, except that mannequin segment. Not even he could make that work.

But the one guy I'm gravitating towards these days is Max Smashmaster from the Devastation Corporation. He started out as just the growling fat guy in a Road Warriors knockoff team (though far more entertaining than the Ascension). Over the past couple years, he's improved all over the place. He's got a ton of smug charisma in a gimmick that doesn't even need it, he's lost a ton of weight, he can do crazy aerial stuff and pull off some Ziggler-level bumps. Plus he sells chops like he's being covered in spiders. Dude rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread