Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
1.) What is professional wrestling to you? Answer this however you want!

Its like a lovely soap opera that features bits where they fight.

I always find it weird that the first thing people say is "you know its not real". Well yeah, most tv shows arent.

To be honest I dont really like a lot of the actual wrestling parts, I tend to watch more gimmick matches than anything else. Things like the Rumble or a Money in the Bank is the type of match I'll actually watch, and I only really care about normal matches if there's an emotional attachment.

2.) How long have you been a fan? Was there any defining moment that turned you into someone who became a habitual viewer?

I got into wrestling in the 90s. I remember going to see a show in Cardiff with my uncle when I was 12, and got really excited tho on reflection the card was awful

WWF @ Cardiff, Wales - Arena - March 26, 1994
Kwang defeated the 1-2-3 Kid
IRS defeated Doink the Clown
Diesel defeated Tatanka
Earthquake defeated Bam Bam Bigelow
Jeff Jarrett defeated Koko B. Ware
Men on a Mission defeated WWF Tag Team Champions the Quebecers via disqualification
WWF World Champion Bret Hart defeated Owen Hart

I was star struck by these guys tho, I remember running up to the barrier and slapping hands with Earthquake and being so excited. Also I got my uncle to shout "Jeff Jarrett more like Jeff Parrot" at JJ and he reacted as if he was pissed off and our whole section then kept taunting him with Jeff Parrot chants during the match with him getting more and more annoyed and I felt so cool that we'd pissed off a wrestler.

3.) Who was your first favorite wrestler?

HBK was my first, he just made you care about everything. Boatloads of charisma plus his matches were fun to watch.

Then it became Kane. I love lovely storylines and Kane's had a boatload. His team with X Pac was great too.

4.) Have you ever fallen out of following this gay sport? If so, what time period was this? When did you get back into it - and what keeps you watching?

Not really, Ive always read the results even if not watching. At uni I used to read the results from the tv shows but not watch the actual shows.

5.) What promotion was your favorite, alive or dead? What time period from that promotion did you like best?

WWE but Ive not really watched much else. Ive tried watching other stuff, WCW was never really aired here and when I used to catch bits it just looked low rent. I remember when the last ever episode was on a friend in the US sent me a videotape of the episode and even that looked awful.

Ive tried watching stuff like Chikara but it feels more like a commitment to get all the characters. Stuff like ROH is pointless to me as I'm not fussed about watching "wrestling"

Best era was obviously Austin - McMahon. Attitude era was amazing but looking back it was a train wreck at times. Ive a soft spot for the late 80s and early 90s stuff, with teams like the Bushwackers and LOD.

6.) What promotions do you consider your favorites today? What particular things about each one do you enjoy?

WWE. I like trashy storylines and thats what I get. And they still make me a mark at times.

I went to a Raw taping last year when Punk and Bryan were individually feuding with the Shield and Wyatts, and during the main event of Punk/Bryan vs Shield the lights went out and when they came on Punk/Bryan had gone and Shield and Wyatts were in the ring. The entire arena was going crazy as they started fighting. Then we decided to go to smackdown the next night, got ridiculous seats next to the entrance ramp and before the main event there was a video package playing and about 10 crew members came out walking straight past us and I got stupidly excited as Id noticed the Wyatts among them obviously going to hide under the ring.

WWE can still make me totally forget that I'm old.

And weirdly Ive got more into the in ring product. Ive started watching more and more matches and thats down to caring about a lot more of the characters and them being good in the ring.

7.) Who is your favorite wrestler today, and why?

Daniel Bryan. I wish he had more charisma tho as I think with that he'd be the best around. I love Cena too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Paper Lion posted:

I know the rule in the thread for not yelling at others so please do not construe this as an insult. I genuinely want to thank you for saying that because I have never heard or seen an adult actually say they like Cena (above any and almost all others, no less), and it is kind of incredible. Again, not to be confrontational, just curious, but what is it that brings you back to him over other workers? Being able to hear an articulate adult express why they like Cena has been something I've always wanted.

Like I said in my post Im not really a fan of the wrestling side of wrestling in so much as I like personalities and storylines in my wrestling, people who are characters and can invest me. Cena is a great personality, hes really under rated on the mic in my opinion. He's great at reacting to a crowd and getting a promo back on track when the crowd are trying to steal attention - I know he gets freedom compared to most but I cant imagine. His matches are decent enough too. I dont see him as a bad worker at all, he's able to keep up with most and has carried some bad people to OK matches.

Im not going to say theres not inconsistencies with his character and that he does things that dont make sense but who in wrestling doesnt? For all the fuss of people saying "where was cena" when the whole Authority feud started and he'd be backstage while his teammates got beat down, you could say the same of Ziggler Rowan and Ryback when Rollins threatened Edge and only Cena ran down. Honestly I tend to enjoy Raw less if I read a recap before watching it

Im sure most people deep down like Cena anyway, I think its become cool to dislike him, and when you read the reports of house shows where he gets almost entirely positive reactions I think thats a sign of it.

• Locked thread