Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
UOL is that scrappy protagonist in a young adult movie who always gets in trouble with traditional older sorts for not playing by the rules but end up winning anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

TDK has picked up ex-WE shitter Ninja for their midlane, and freshly kicked-out-of-Brazil Emperor (of Blaze fame) for their ADC. Looks like a... fun team.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

So.... TDK is barely able to slip past the foreigner requirement because Seraph is an exempt player right?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Monte actually said in a vod review that, although he disagreed with their weird picks, specifically in reference to jungle shaco, he did think they played them out exactly the right way.

I think 3/5 UoL members are pretty solid LCS material, each with deep, deep champion pools.

Then there's their bot lane.

And even there, Vardags is a solid team fight adc (kind of reminds me of Genja) and Hylissang definitely has a lot of potential to be good if he gets better at the parts specific to support like map vision/when to roam solo etc. If there was anyone to replace, I would look at Vardags.

I think that the ability to play a wide pool of champs is definitely a factor in the quality of a pro player, and they have that in droves. It's definitely wrong to write it off as gimmicky -- it's a strength in oppossition to things like Hotshot/Scarra's/whoevers weakness w/r/t picks.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Calax posted:

So.... TDK is barely able to slip past the foreigner requirement because Seraph is an exempt player right?

Seraph and TDK have the same relation as Bjerg/TSM, XWX/TIP and Quas/Liquid.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Altec is replacing Cop for next split:

http://www.dailydot.com/esports/altec-gravity-winterfox-lcs/

Not sure if it's Cop retiring or them just replacing him. Kind of sad to see both Saint and Cop go from Gravity, they're the reason I liked the team.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Freaksaus posted:

Altec is replacing Cop for next split:

http://www.dailydot.com/esports/altec-gravity-winterfox-lcs/

Not sure if it's Cop retiring or them just replacing him. Kind of sad to see both Saint and Cop go from Gravity, they're the reason I liked the team.

Yeah I liked Gravity but man, that team without Saint/Cop seems like near-bottom of the table material to me.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

And there's where Saint ended up.

http://teamcoast.net/saintvicious-joins-team-coast-as-new-head-coach/

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

:rip: saint, what a horrible way to die end your professional lol career.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

We were so close...

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Was Cop really that good? The feeling I got about Gravity was that it was more Keane/Saint/Bunny who went nuts during the split and playoffs.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Saint has been one of my favorite western players since the beginning of the LCS and it will be interesting to see if he can make it as a coach.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Calax posted:

Was Cop really that good? The feeling I got about Gravity was that it was more Keane/Saint/Bunny who went nuts during the split and playoffs.

Cop was good but not amazing. Altec is a strict upgrade I think.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Cop had a respectable stable performance level, but I think Altec peaks higher and has a better overall baseline even though it might have more variance.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Gravity's new jungler is Move, who previously played for EDG Academy.

E: Lol, that article directly links to Link's leaving message

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Wow. I knew about all of Element's roster changes but it never added up to me exactly how much they blew up their roster.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Apparently this is the bracket for the NACS qualifiers. I'm pretty sure it wasn't like this before. Does anyone know why the groups are imbalanced? Elomingle gets a double bye and CLG Black a single bye; were they the first two seeds? It's pretty confusing.

Edit: oh okay, the two byes are from the bottom of the Spring CS split and the rest are ordered by ladder ranking. Still weird to have the imbalanced groups...

Redmark fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 19, 2015

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Saint? Saint?!?! SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Redmark posted:

Apparently this is the bracket for the NACS qualifiers. I'm pretty sure it wasn't like this before. Does anyone know why the groups are imbalanced? Elomingle gets a double bye and CLG Black a single bye; were they the first two seeds? It's pretty confusing.

Edit: oh okay, the two byes are from the bottom of the Spring CS split and the rest are ordered by ladder ranking. Still weird to have the imbalanced groups...

Elomingle's players were on the TSM Darkness roster, yeah; so they get that spot.

It is a bit weird but it makes sense to give the returning CS teams a little bit better of a shot

Group A is MIsfits' to lose, they just need to not gently caress up to FFG
Group B will probably be Legendary vs C9T and will depend on how hard Yusui can throw

Misc notes on other teams:

Turing is the team started by the pharmaceuticals tycoon, has Chunkyfresh/Inori/Kt Smurf/Intense/Trance. Looks like a mediocre roster
Storm is the team with Mancloud on it
Legendary is Bischu's team, has the super-gimmicky top laner in Akaadian
Frank Fang is Goldenglue's team, played in the Alphadraft finals vs Misfits. A team that does better than their roster implies
AKA, Esclate Legon, and Zenith will probably go nowhere.
Elomingle looked pretty mediocre too and CLG Black still hasnt even announced their Midlaner. Not very promising.

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 19, 2015

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

It's honestly kind of criminal that Frank Fang gets fed to Misfits again after the Alphadraft finals. They deserve a better shot than 'you wanna get in? Beat the absolute best challenger team in the roster', tbqh.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
So apparently Samsung wanted to buy Easyhoon from SKT and got told to gently caress right off.

A Translator posted:

"Never," was the answer they [Samsung] got from SKT when they offered to buy-out Easyhoon's contract with a premium.

Easyhoon, easy life. :smugdog:

Article is in Korean, but a link for the curious: http://sports.news.naver.com/sports/index.nhn?category=e_sports&ctg=news&mod=read&office_id=347&article_id=0000071024&date=20150517&page=1

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
does misfits still have crumbzz because that might be the only way i ever see them losing a game is if he gets absolutely poo poo on

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Luna Was Here posted:

does misfits still have crumbzz because that might be the only way i ever see them losing a game is if he gets absolutely poo poo on

Yes, they do.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Transient People posted:

It's honestly kind of criminal that Frank Fang gets fed to Misfits again after the Alphadraft finals. They deserve a better shot than 'you wanna get in? Beat the absolute best challenger team in the roster', tbqh.

It happened to them last time around as well (vs. Fusion IIRC?). They just have bad luck with brackets.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Zwingley posted:

So apparently Samsung wanted to buy Easyhoon from SKT and got told to gently caress right off.

Easyhoon, easy life. :smugdog:

Article is in Korean, but a link for the curious: http://sports.news.naver.com/sports/index.nhn?category=e_sports&ctg=news&mod=read&office_id=347&article_id=0000071024&date=20150517&page=1

Get hosed Samsung. Could've had Dade and Pawn if you were willing to pay money.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

wodin posted:

It happened to them last time around as well (vs. Fusion IIRC?). They just have bad luck with brackets.

Reminds me of last year, where T8 had the misfortune of facing LMQ early in the bracket

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

http://na.lolesports.com/articles/teams-shuffle-rosters-2015-summer

Roccat Steve confirmed.

That's about as official as you can get.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Transient People posted:

The limited play-in that's based on the absolutely arbitrary ranked ladder is remains a problematic way to get new teams in.

A double elim would be nice, if not some sort of round robin.

Coast/F5 is still around given the Saint news, and I don't know about Winterfox. At least Fusion is vacating their spot in NA, so that will mean one more spot up for grabs I think.
We'll see what happens with that one

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

The limited play-in that's based on the absolutely arbitrary ranked ladder is remains a problematic way to get new teams in.

A double elim would be nice, if not some sort of round robin.

Coast/F5 is still around given the Saint news, and I don't know about Winterfox. At least Fusion is vacating their spot in NA, so that will mean one more spot up for grabs I think.
We'll see what happens with that one

I think Winterfox is gone. Altec and Pobelter both swapped to other teams, meanwhile Helios and Avalon zipped back to SK while Gleeb is left as a free agent.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Is the challenger play in still best of 1? because gently caress that.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Luna Was Here posted:

I think that out of all of the junglers who are always high on quaaludes that Crumbzz is the best.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

http://www.goldper10.com/article/1234-dont-call-him-just-consistent-cops-rise-to-the-top.html/

I realize that it's about Cop, but it gives a pretty good look at all the ADC's. Altec looks like a pretty good on those pages, especially if you take into consideration that WFX was a significantly worse off team than Gravity.

Maplestreet, Mash, and CoreJJ are around the bottom. Double's a middle of the pack player according to those charts, with Altec being mostly above him (which is kind of sad that you can't do better on the #2 team for most of the split)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I like the idea of more advanced statistical analysis in LCS but a lot of these stats don't account for lane swaps or team compositions at all, and those can be extremely large factors in literally every single stat listed except for maybe gold differential at 10 minutes. Although like cs differential might be more useful to know.

It's like assuming an NFL team that has a lower passing yards allowed has a good pass defense when they might just be terrible and spend more of the game with the team basically just running the ball down their throat. Or the seven seconds or less era Phoenix Suns who always had bottom 10 defensive stats but were actually a middle of the pack team when you changed the metric to account for defensive stats per 100 possessions.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

rabidsquid posted:

I like the idea of more advanced statistical analysis in LCS but a lot of these stats don't account for lane swaps or team compositions at all, and those can be extremely large factors in literally every single stat listed except for maybe gold differential at 10 minutes. Although like cs differential might be more useful to know.

It's like assuming an NFL team that has a lower passing yards allowed has a good pass defense when they might just be terrible and spend more of the game with the team basically just running the ball down their throat. Or the seven seconds or less era Phoenix Suns who always had bottom 10 defensive stats but were actually a middle of the pack team when you changed the metric to account for defensive stats per 100 possessions.

This is true for pretty much every sport, which is why relying purely on the data is never a good idea. That doesn't mean statistical analysis is worthless, just less meaningful in the larger context of things.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah, but it can give you a fairly decent starting point to consider who's doing better.

I mean piglet looks TERRIBLE there specifically because he had that odd play schedule and the team was working out issues.

Altec on the other hand is anomalously good by comparison.

Although the most terrifying/damning fact for that split (I'm pulling from the same site as the site does
http://oracleselixir.com/statistics/2015-na-lcs-spring-split-player-statistics/
is that Doublelift had the highest average GPM advantage at 10 minutes at 163.2 the lowest was Mash, but just barely above him was Altec with a 143.8 GPM disadvantage against his opponents. Although thinking about it, it might also be because he had those two games as Support mid season.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Calax posted:

Yeah, but it can give you a fairly decent starting point to consider who's doing better.

I mean piglet looks TERRIBLE there specifically because he had that odd play schedule and the team was working out issues.

Statistically the only significant difference between Liquid with Keith and Liquid with Piglet was that Quas warded slightly more with Keith. I think that actually helps illustrate where these stats don't tell the entire story.

SC Bracer posted:

This is true for pretty much every sport, which is why relying purely on the data is never a good idea. That doesn't mean statistical analysis is worthless, just less meaningful in the larger context of things.

I think that using the data to drive a point is misguided at best and misleading at worst, but using it to examine what we think we already know can be helpful. I hate to sound like old timey baseball scout here but sometimes you just need to watch the games!!!

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
All my data says Cop rules. Maybe Altec is a better player when his support isn't a pile of poo poo. We'll find out I guess.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It's hard not to improve as a player when you wear a leather jacket

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The Steve / tom world's matchup hype begins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Frustrated posted:

Is the challenger play in still best of 1? because gently caress that.

Fortunately they're Bo3 - not quite total garbage tier, just suspect.

• Locked thread