Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

rabidsquid posted:

I think that using the data to drive a point is misguided at best and misleading at worst, but using it to examine what we think we already know can be helpful. I hate to sound like old timey baseball scout here but sometimes you just need to watch the games!!!

An example that will be meaningless to most people in this thread of this is England at the Cricket world cup earlier this year, where their data had them believe a par score while batting was significantly lower than the actual par scores that were posted during the tournament. They got hammered and knocked out at the group stage, and their coach's immediate reaction was "We have to look at the data."

It's kind of impressive how the overreliance on stats ended up completely destroying their campaign given that they were seeded first for the event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

The problem with stats here is that you are likely mixing distributions. Take lane swaps for example. They are likely going to affect your kda, cs, and objectives in a meaningful manner. You either treat them as a different distribution with the same sample sizes to see if they are different, or you lump them with the non swap games, but play more games so you can actually apply the central limit theorem. We're taking a middle of the road approach here, which is not good. It's why you can apply sabermetrics to baseball and basketball, but not football. There are more to stats than just taking the average.

Libertine may be able to back me up here.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
OGN Champions rosters announced!

Not too many major changes; GE is now the KOO Tigers, got Wisdom from IM ( a meh pickup). Picaboo has a wrist injury so is MIA. Jin Air got a new mid sub. Samsung has 3 mids listed, surprisingly.

Newly qualified Prime is now called Sbenu, and has a mid called 'do it'. Cant wait for Doa to riff on that.

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the laneswapping this season was primarily a tool of C9 and TSM. I don't think it was a common strategy for other teams. I may be wrong, but I don't think it's any better to assume there was constant laneswappin going on.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lane swaps became so frequent as to be commented on when they didn't happen.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Jayisspecial posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the laneswapping this season was primarily a tool of C9 and TSM. I don't think it was a common strategy for other teams. I may be wrong, but I don't think it's any better to assume there was constant laneswappin going on.
There are teams that are better at it than others, but all teams usually attempt to laneswap if they have a weak 2v2.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i wonder what roccat steve will be like. why do french people only play top lane?

there's this guy, soaz, cabochard, the champion renekton..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFlPYim-SUc

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Well, top is the most complained-about lane and the French have always enjoyed a good wine...

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Forg1ven made a post about his past present and future. Unlike link it doesn't seem to burn any bridges in an obvious fashion

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

I don't think anyone noted it already, but Nien will be starting for T8 after Week 2 (they wanted him for the whole season but were late on paperwork).

Calitrolz on why the change is happening:

quote:

We play about 8 times more scrims than what we show on LCS stage. It was voted unanimously in favor of Nien, not only because of performance issue, but also attitude issue approaching the game. Maple sometimes became too emotional about the game, which in turn made Dodo and Maple unwilliing to duo. They only practiced handful duo queue entire year we've been on a team despite our request to do so. We never went into game saying, Let cali get all the kills and farms and he will carry. Not even 1% close to that. I'm very willing to give my farm and kills to my ADC if I can trust he can perform with the gold given. Currently I have a lot more faith in Nien (given our few scrim experience and positivity and better communication he brings to the team). Unfortunate to bench Maple but it was not a easy decision for the team. It was our first proactive roster change ever since our Challenger days.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
That's the same complaint Maple's last team had about him. Some people don't change. Maple will be ugly forever.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Beauty is only skin deep but being an unwashed troll goes straight to the core. RIP maple

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

LCK Champions Summer hype!!! NaJin vs Anarchy and Samsung vs Sbenu starting in a few minutes

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Najin making Anarchy look good here, somehow.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Is the format the same as last split, just with 2 extra teams, so every single team plays 8-12 games more? Because drat, that's gonna be really long

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Somebody needs to save Duke from Naijin. He looks like he could be on a top 4 Korean team.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

:lol: both of these teams are so bad, jeez

e: Najin were about 2-3k up and all of a sudden are down 5k. Nice job guys

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Allyn posted:

I was reading the lolesports article where they rated Naijin the fourth best team in the LCK, and put Jin Air in 7th only before Samsung and :lol:

Speaking of Samsung. I love how scrappy they are, and watching all 5 of them slowly gather into a brush one by one and get blown up almost immediately is one of my favorite moments in LCK last season. Forever the underdogs.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Allyn posted:

Anarchy looks pretty good for a team straight out of challenger with no support staff.

They were better without CVmax's ridiculous picks too.

Still, Najin, wtf.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
http://www.dailydot.com/esports/alphadraft-seed-venture-capital/

David Stern jumping into e-sports (even if it's just at an investment level) is pretty weird and hilarious.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Some guy's LPL roster post on Twitter (not sure how reliable it is):

Note the OMG row lol. Xiyang top?!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Save isn't listed as an Invictus sub. Does this mean he's been freed from China jail?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

Save isn't listed as an Invictus sub. Does this mean he's been freed from China jail?

He's apparently now on their B team, Young Glory, and will play in the Chinese second tier :catstare:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
does that count as freeing from jail or as double jail

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Redmark posted:

does that count as freeing from jail or as double jail

Definitely double jail

Edit: HE WAS THE BEST TOPLANER IN THE WORLD :madness:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Sexpansion posted:

Definitely double jail

Edit: HE WAS THE BEST TOPLANER IN THE WORLD :madness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmeCru4n0yg

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Well at least they're getting paid, right? :smith:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-abUtRbUS_U

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

http://www.dailydot.com/esports/papasmithy-ogn-broadcast/
So OGN is moving to a four day broadcast to account for the new teams, meaning Papasmithy and DoA are going to split casting duties

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Huh. I thought Monte said it would be Doa and Chobra on the broadcast last night.

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

It is an article by Jacob Wolf so there's a non-zero chance he just made it up but it makes sense, Papasmithy and Monte are friends, and Chobra doesn't even work for OGN anymore right?

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
What does ESL even do regularly in Korea, though? I don't see why they wouldn't let him keep doing stuff for OGN.

I guess we'll see.

e: I mean do stuff for OGN on loan, like they let Joe Miller do.

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 20, 2015

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

My new favorite support in Europe.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Zwingley posted:

What does ESL even do regularly in Korea, though? I don't see why they wouldn't let him keep doing stuff for OGN.

I guess we'll see.

e: I mean do stuff for OGN on loan, like they let Joe Miller do.

Chobra is moving to the US for ESL

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Hypocrisy posted:

Riot made him change his tag from Promiscuous, right?

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Corey Feldman circa the 1980s joined Elements?

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Jerkface posted:

Chobra is moving to the US for ESL

Ah. My mistake, then!

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Hypocrisy posted:

WHAT ELEMENT IS HE ALIGNED TO. P/LEASE I ENED to know

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

http://www.dailydot.com/esports/papasmithy-ogn-broadcast/
So OGN is moving to a four day broadcast to account for the new teams, meaning Papasmithy and DoA are going to split casting duties

Man, what the gently caress. That's straight up 20% less DoA for this split. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
(my) Heart

• Locked thread