Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
This is what happens when you don't have LMQ to keep people honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
T8 isn't that bad, TSM isn't that good. None of the NA teams are really looking dominant this split. Will be exciting, but I don't think it'll play well at Worlds.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Even accounting for that, though, it just doesn't feel like any team has that much room to improve with the players they've got. Mayyybe Liquid, and maybe C9 if they can somehow exceed their peak. Of course this is relative to the rest of the world, in absolute terms the scene is better every split.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Badfinger posted:

I have definitely heard of that organization before. Maybe either for a tiny regional tournament (like Go4LoL) or for another game. Back in the dark depths of time, Tabzz and Youngbuck were both members briefly. Good for them!

I think they've been around esports for a while. They had a bunch of notable Brood War players (Ret etc.)

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Is Coast planning on ever doing anything? They might as well surrender.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Hoping for World Elite to show signs of life at IEM but it probably won't happen, feel bad for Spirit in LPL Hell

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Gonna need to rewatch that because I don't understand how TSM lost that fight tbh. Was too busy looking at baron.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
It's kind of funny because the Jinx ult that almost stole that dragon turned out to be pretty important

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Wol posted:

Most of that graph is predictable enough, but the thing I don't really get is why Team Liquid got the largest clump of ex-LMQ fans. I can't really think of anything those teams have in common.

I have no real evidence for this theory, but it may be that the people most likely to become fans of the all-Asian team are the Starcraft fans, and TL is the primary SC community..

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I realize it's part of the joke but I wish the Mao image had the same production values as the qtpie quote.

Also this is looking pretty good for :china:, though admittedly TSM are looking a lot better than I expected. Props to Regi and Locodoco.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I think it kind of helps that the LPL is a thunderdome. People cast Chinese League as being reckless and aggressive, but it just means that every team tries to make plays all day long; there's no Coast-equivalent punching bag that you can rest easy against. Combined with the sheer number of games they play, and surely even the worst teams like WE build up tilt resistance, whereas GE crumbled.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
gently caress Mao's starting to look like qtpie to me aaaaa

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Wait, is Cali actually playing next split? I'd assumed so but he looked really shaken up by the loss. Probably the most sadface I've ever seen from League of Legends actually :smith:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Transient People posted:

Holy poo poo that fail reel goddamn xmithie :riot:

I'm not up to date on the official posting standards, what does :riot: signify here? Just that he's bad?

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I guess Keane just has problems laning against XWX? Especially since no one else had magic damage for that Cowl.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
RIP Kyle your Jayce was too beautiful for this world, and your Liss too ugly

what a clowny game though

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Poacher's knife Nunu vs. Elise in the LPL right now :stare: (and Vayne, and mid Lucian)

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Still not really convincing from C9, they won the game off an extremely risky baron against consume/smite and a Flash fat-finger into another baron...

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
man I really do not want to see another C9-TSM finals, XWX please save us poor sinners

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I know someone mentioned it when it happened but reminder that IWD flashing for crab might have cost Liquid the series

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I've been expecting TSM's magical abilities to pull out improbable teamfight victories to subside for a long time, and it still hasn't. Really hoping that C9 can reclaim their throne. I don't want to live in a world where TSM is a Seriously Really Good Team.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Rush just kind of had some really dumb Flashes that ended up losing fights, since he forgot he was on Nunu. I'm okay with how Impulse are performing since it's a lot easier to get people to stop making bad plays than to start making good ones, so I think they can do better next split.

(or so I say, but CLG...)

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

It's tough when your team that has been together since 2013 comes back from an 0-2 deficit to win a Bo5 series against what is literally a rich kid's vanity hobby korean composite team, but somehow we stone-faced C9 fans manage to carry on.

TL is definitely not a vanity hobby team, unless you're referring to someone else? Liquid's been around for ages (the guy, and the starcraft community)

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
So how sick was Pawn exactly? I couldn't watch the games due to time zone but going by people's reactions I'm thinking he was literally pulled from the hospital and carried EDG with his dying breath. LPL doesn't gently caress around, eh?

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
EDG is one of the rich owner teams so Pawn's probably going to get a bonus for his heroics.

It may be melodramatic, but it's also perfect ESPORTS narrative tbh

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Royal Club is down 0-2 to Gamtee in relegation matches. Not looking good for them.

Insec's failed second-floor jump may well have sent SHRC from Worlds finals to LSPL lol.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

SC Bracer posted:

Lustboy has talked about how much better the environment is in NA both in terms of how fans behave and how the management treats players, to the point that he apparently has nightmares over her experience there. I'm glad he's happy now :unsmith:

The point is that Korea's environment is apparently lovely enough that it is infinitely better to stay in a region that is still not super competitive internationally or just retire than go back.

While I'm sure Korean fans can be quite terrible, this seems like an easy thing to say when you're on top. Faker probably doesn't take much flak, while someone like Seraph got completely eviscerated by CLG fans and the community in general.

Spirit is cute and very talented and on the perennial darling LPL team, so he has a massive fan following. Players like Xiye and Yuzhe who are even on the same team take all the abuse when they gently caress up.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
It's funny because Richard Lewis would probably have most of the community on his side if he just stuck to posting articles and not ranting incoherently at every person on social media.

Even Thorin seems to have figured this out, he stops talking about Poland and Regi and suddenly everyone likes him. What a mystery.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Violently Car posted:

Why can't other regions have this much action in their play?

I feel like when other regions have high-action games the teams involved get called out as being bad (or "solo-queue" etc.). Which may well be true, of course, but I think it's a bit of a chilling effect. I definitely enjoy LPL games more.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
lmao I love imp but he's such a throwlord

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
hahaha lags during the baron steal, riot please

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
so uh did shiphtur play that really badly or am I just bad

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I don't know why the consensus seems to be that TDK's bot is really bad, because every time I've watched them they seemed all right. Louis is kind of a tilter but he can carry, and Smoothie is pretty stable for being new to competitive.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
welp Smoothie I was just defending you

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Pobelter/Altec looking real like a repeat of Zion/Shiphtur at this point. I wonder if history will repeat itself.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Speaking of OMG, the rumor on the Team Liquid forums is VG.Cool and OMG.CoCo. I don't know how reliable that is but if true Chinese billionaire sons are going to literally eat the LCK

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I'm not really sure if Misfits is going to work out. From what I've seen RF and especially Remilia take a lot of abuse and don't respond to it particularly well. Of course it's not their fault, and it's a tough situation to be in, but with how the community is the trolling's only going to get worse if they make it into the LCS. I really hope their management has someone looking after the emotional health of the players, because I think that's going to be decisive.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Whether it's due to toxicity or not, if you read Yuno/Remilia's twitter she seems pretty seriously depressed and has been for a while. Makes me worry it's going to be a Gleeb-like situation or worse.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Lovechop posted:

why do all the dota lads have boringass names like Fire Mage and Angry Man anyway

I think that actually helps somewhat for people who don't play the game to watch. Even though you can't necessarily tell how they play from the names, you at least get a sense of who the heroes are by "Alchemist" or "Tinker" or "Phantom Assassin" and such. Whereas when I started playing League my main reaction was how the gently caress am I going to remember what "Caitlyn" and "Annie" do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

Yes but they were clearly better than their challenger competition. They dominated.

Eh they had several losses in NACL and I remember people taking those way too seriously. Misfits dominated every game except the one they lost. I think that's really just how it goes in challenger, where the spirit of lomo pervades even after Vasilii is gone and forgotten.

• Locked thread