Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

AceRimmer posted:

Is it Nebraska that has nearly identical rest stops separated by long stretches of highway? Real Twilight Zone time loop poo poo according to a friend.

Kansas is worse. At least Nebraska's prairie rolls. Kansas is just... Kansas. For eight hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

AceRimmer posted:

Is it Nebraska that has nearly identical rest stops separated by long stretches of highway? Real Twilight Zone time loop poo poo according to a friend.

Yep. I-80's a loving blast.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
As the saying goes: Texas sucks and Kansas blows and that's why it's windy in Oklahoma.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Oracle posted:

Kansas is worse. At least Nebraska's prairie rolls. Kansas is just... Kansas. For eight hours.

I don't get this Kansas hate. Wyoming or New Mexico or Arizona all have way worse stretches of highway than i70 through Kansas. Is it because of the tolls?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

They interviewed Green Boots's family.

BBC posted:

As though napping, the climber lies on his side under the protective shadow of an overhanging rock. He has pulled his red fleece up around his face, hiding it from view, and wrapped his arms firmly around his torso to ward off the biting wind and cold. His legs stretch into the path, forcing passers-by to gingerly step over his neon green climbing boots.

His name is Tsewang Paljor, but most who encounter him know him only as Green Boots. For nearly 20 years, his body, located not far from Mount Everest’s summit, has served as a grim trail marker for those seeking to conquer the world’s highest mountain from its north face. Many have lost their lives on Everest, and like Paljor, the vast majority of them remain on the mountain. But Paljor’s body, thanks to its prominence, came to be one of the most well-known.

Also a feature on other dead Everest climbers.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20151008-the-graveyard-in-the-clouds-everests-200-dead-bodies

Looks like Green Boots may have been properly laid to rest.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Good read, thanks for the link.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Has anyone here driven from Spokane to Washington? I've driven the entirety of Nebraska and Iowa together a dozen plus times (Iowa still has a 65mph limit on the loving freeway) and the two of them one after the other depending on which way youre going is still infinitely better than the shithole which is mid-eastern Washington.

Edit: Southern Indiana/Illinois is pretty bad too.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
even though it's buzzfeed give it a read:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/vaibhiarora/conquering-mount-everest-everything-you-need-to-k-1vr47

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Jesus Christ, is that a translation or something?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Once you get into it, it's not so bad. The first few paragraphs were tricky to get through.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I don't know. Oklahoma has churches at their gas stations.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

Oklahoma has churches at their gas stations.
I imagine a lot of folks pray to God they're out of OK before they have to stop again.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwuPmg68mKU

The Epic of Everest was restored by the British Film Institute in 2013 and is now available on BBC iPlayer (for UK Goons at least). It's a documentary film made by a crew who accompanied the 1924 Mallory/Irvine expedition. A lot of it is focused on telephoto lense shots featuring many of Mallory/Irvine's last steps on Everest, has some great footage of the mountain and the local area but the film does falter a bit with old timey Imperialism for the way it talks of the locals ("they haven't bathed their entire lives!").

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Germstore posted:

I have to drive over 8 hours to get to the nearest beach.
If a person in El Paso (the western point of Texas) wants to drive to the beach, they go to San Diego, California rather than Galveston, TX -- it's a 10-hour drive to the Pacific coast, and 11 to the Gulf coast of Texas.

Cliff Racer posted:

Incorrect, Kansas is much worse to drive through. Plus the other one looks to take you past the surprisingly amazing Corn Palace.

AceRimmer posted:

Some years back a photographer, in some big Nikon-sponsored art project, drove across the US with a DSLR in the passenger-side window, rigged to the odometer so it took a picture every mile. He had to adjust the timing in Kansas/Nebraska because the cornfields are laid out on a 1-mile grid so he was getting the exact same picture every time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Delivery McGee posted:

If a person in El Paso (the western point of Texas) wants to drive to the beach, they go to San Diego, California rather than Galveston, TX -- it's a 10-hour drive to the Pacific coast, and 11 to the Gulf coast of Texas.

the extra hour drive would be worth it for the warm water imo

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The green and brown poo poo water that is the gulf coast is not

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Port Aransas isn't too bad.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Jose posted:

the extra hour drive would be worth it for the warm water imo

What are you talking about!? The water I Southern California is perfect. Not warm enough to feed tropical storms, and not too cold to not be able to comfortably swim in.

Plus it has waves if you're into wave sports like surfing. Last time I was on the gulf coast I wouldn't have referred to the swells as "surf."

Delivery McGee posted:

And if you're like most San Diegans who have live in inland San Diego county, you're lucky if you see the beach more than once a year.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 7, 2015

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

BisonDollah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwuPmg68mKU

The Epic of Everest was restored by the British Film Institute in 2013 and is now available on BBC iPlayer (for UK Goons at least). It's a documentary film made by a crew who accompanied the 1924 Mallory/Irvine expedition. A lot of it is focused on telephoto lense shots featuring many of Mallory/Irvine's last steps on Everest, has some great footage of the mountain and the local area but the film does falter a bit with old timey Imperialism for the way it talks of the locals ("they haven't bathed their entire lives!").

I tried to watch this again the other night when it was on - it's silent with eerie music playing in the background the whole time.
I made it to them starting the climb this time before falling asleep (it's always on Very late for some reason) - Well worth a look though, and I plan to watch the 2nd half with strong coffee on hand shortly !

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I mean, you know people are thinking this sort of thing, but drat. Leave it to an American to be the poster-child for Sherpa racism.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/11/14/race-row-on-mount-everest-sherpas-square-off-against-racist-western-climbers.html

quote:

When it was confirmed that Sherpa strike action had curtailed the climbing season, he was back on camera—this time comparing the mountain guides to Islamic terrorists.

“We’re being held captive by terrorists is how I look at it. When people demand change and threaten it by violence that’s a terrorist. We in the States, we know what that it is, that’s 9/11,” he said. “How do you mentally prepare yourself to get up here and be turned away because a group of terrorists are demanding that Westerners leave Base Camp?”

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I mean, you know people are thinking this sort of thing, but drat. Leave it to an American to be the poster-child for Sherpa racism.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/11/14/race-row-on-mount-everest-sherpas-square-off-against-racist-western-climbers.html

quote:

Without the Sherpa mountain guides, who are drawn from an ethnic group based high in the Himalayas, there is no way the Westerners could reach the top. It’s the Sherpas who set up the ropes and fixing points, as well as carry their tents, their oxygen tanks, their food and their toilets.

Everest 2015: there is no way the Westerners could reach the top.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I was laughing at that as well. Remember, some experienced westerners tried to go up on their own a few years ago and the Sherpas wouldn't have it.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

quote:

“There’s no way you can talk to their owners?” he asked Brice, apparently confusing the ethnic Sherpa employees with slaves or some form of property.

Please, take that man up the mountain.

And then leave him there.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

“In the Everest movie, I’m thinking who put those ropes in? Who put the ladders across the icefall? Who put up those tents they’re climbing into? Who carried the oxygen? Who carried the food they’re now eating? The Sherpas do that work and that is never shown,” Peedom said. “The Sherpas did a huge amount of work on that expedition and they were heavily involved in the rescue. There were also Sherpas killed so I think it’s yet another example of them being left out of the story.”

I think this nailed exactly what I hated about that movie. They were trying to make out they were some sort of heroes for doing it, but it is nothing that hasn't been done before, and particularly embarrassing was the total lack of the Sherpa people. The only heroes in the film were those dudes piloting the helicopter who risked their life to rescue some rich Texan.

I was really disappointed in that film. I think the only mountaineering movie that works is 'Touching the Void' and that is more like a documentary.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Cliff Racer posted:

I was laughing at that as well. Remember, some experienced westerners tried to go up on their own a few years ago and the Sherpas wouldn't have it.

To be fair, the quote was talking about a specific group of Westerners in that particular season, not "Westerners" as a group. With a strike, those particular individuals would indeed be SOL

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The Everest movie didn't actually have any Sherpas? jfc

Even Titanic remembered there were grimy dudes belowdecks shovelling coal into the furnaces

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Skellybones posted:

Even Titanic remembered there were grimy dudes belowdecks shovelling coal into the furnaces

Yeah I think it did. It's been a month or two since I saw it, but I swear there was some rivalry or something between a couple of Sherpa dudes on each team.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Skellybones posted:

To be honest, I fell asleep an hour or so in. This film I had been waiting for for the best part of a year, about a thing I am obsessed with (I mean I've been the OP of these threads for the last couple of years ffs), and I fell asleep. I fell asleep.

There are 5 Sherpas in the film according to IMDB, three of which are uncredited. So. Yeah.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 16, 2015

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Is there at least a scene where the Sherpa short ropes Sandy Hill Pittman and drags her up the mountain?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Sand Monster posted:

Is there at least a scene where the Sherpa short ropes Sandy Hill Pittman and drags her up the mountain?

Yep.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

drat I must have slept through that bit.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It was a blink and you missed it moment.

I think two Sherpas had speaking parts, but they were bit parts if that.

red_leg
Aug 7, 2002
I want to visit everest and start a climber tradition of rubbing Green Boot's boots for good luck on the way up.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

red_leg posted:

I want to visit everest and start a climber tradition of rubbing Green Boot's boots for good luck on the way up.

I think he's been moved.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Sex Hobbit posted:

I think he's been moved.

Or did he...move himself?!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I liked this infographic

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So Sherpas die everywhere, but climbers tend to die at either the bottom or the top.

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy

etalian posted:

I liked this infographic

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the areas correlate to? The deaths at the top I understand, thats the death zone, but what about that cluster near the middle, is that the ice falls? If anyone could help me match up the data I would appreciate it.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Baumann posted:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the areas correlate to? The deaths at the top I understand, thats the death zone, but what about that cluster near the middle, is that the ice falls? If anyone could help me match up the data I would appreciate it.

Between Base Camp and Camp I is the icefall, between Camp I and Camp IV is the Western Cwm. Deaths there are mostly due to avalanches hitting the valley and the rare crevice opening up. Also people probably die during decent in that area or are :mediocre: and get cerebral edema before they even make the summit push. So basically just a mashup of everything that makes Everest dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Baumann posted:

Best simple visualization here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diQtFPbBFCw

Guessing a lot of the Camp II to III deaths are also people just falling off the Lhotse face?

• Locked thread