Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I assume if you pay enough you can use satellite uplinks at the camps because I thought the youngest-oops-the-sherpas-all-died-so-now-I'll-be-the-youngest-white-Australian girl was posting updates from the mountain when she still thought the sherpas were going to be cool with 1/3 of their friends dying and would get right back to rigging the mountain up for rich dumb foreigners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Minrad posted:

:roflolmao:

Normally people begin to realize how stupid wasting your life to climb a giant frozen rock is, so we charge more and have you do it in a riskier, shorter amount of time to keep you from deciding not to become a statistic!
I was trying to see where they are registered as a business to understand what sort of legal risks entailed in creating an expedition based on "chumps getting sick during acclimatization just aren't scaling the mountain fast enough" and found this choice quote on the About Us page instead.

quote:

Adrian found that many guide services in the industry were more focused on tagging summits than teaching mountaineering skills.
Something doesn't seem to match up here.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Matterhorn huh?

Looks like a knock off of a real mountain.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Congrats death pool, even with an over saturation of entries you still probably underestimated this years reaping.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

drilldo squirt posted:

I don't think you understand that if people you knew in real life were aware of how much you enjoy idiots dying they would stop socializing with you.
Whoa there this is extremely triggering as an incel.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Somehow I get the feeling China doesn't want any more international tourists going to Tibet than they can background check and inspect their gear shipments.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

prinneh posted:

“The quakes have already set off a bunch of avalanches and has, therefore, taken care of some of the worst dangers”, he says, adding “So the avalanches we might have had in the coming couple of weeks have already been ‘sprung’.”
As not a geologist I can confirm with 100% accuracy that this is exactly how instability works after an earthquake.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

dj_clawson posted:

I am totally loving determined to go to Everest on the Tibetan side, which is a reasonable goal if you are traveling in that general area. Climb it? How much before you've technically "climbed" something? 10 feet? 20 feet? What if I said, "Climbed without summitting"?
If you want to go all lawyer-like about it I dont think Nepal base camp is on the prominence unique to Everest to say you are technically climbing it at that point.

Also maybe examine the use of reasonable when taking a poo poo at 17k feet would be the most exercise done at once for a large portion of the first world.

Vvvv
Wasn't a dig at you,just that a statistical term like reasonable breaks down when recommending a trip to high altitude that would severely strain an average american just being there

zedprime fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 29, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nagato posted:

I shat on this thread, but it has now been vindicated by the climbers themselves

http://news.yahoo.com/soul-searching-over-quake-ends-everest-climbing-season-105842241.html
It's got to be super embarrassing when a Texas realtor is more compassionate than you are.

Kurtofan posted:

Why were they holding crushed skulls.
Retrieval and triage of the injured following the avalanche I suspect.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Cocaine eyedrops sounds like wacky Wall Street hijinks but is probably one of the least worrisome medicines back in the day.

I would love to see a gritty reboot of Oregon Trail where everyone ends up addicted to opiates from all the dysentery treatment.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 8, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Paineopticon posted:

Did everyone look at you weird when you started chewing it
If you're a fast talker you can get geologists to stick anything in their mouth.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

I Greyhound posted:

Any particular reason wingsuits aren't based on flying mammals that actually fly well?

With carbon fiber composite "fingers" you should easily be able to double the wingspan and bring glide speed down to something must less retarded than the flying-squirrel suits.

Or is falling "fast and slightly forward" the preferred mode for thrillseekers?
They're called hang gliders.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
This is more generally the extreme sports thread, and things don't get more extreme than a callousy handy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That nagging in the back of his head about his spare tire is probably enough mental priming that could stick in his subconscious despite oxygen deprivation so that he would listen to the sherpa who tells him to turn around at Camp 4 cause his beer belly is hogging all the oxygen. So he's got a step up over a theoretical twin who wants to be the first travelling salesman with ACl surgery in beer league hockey and tennis to summit. But then his final edit gets worrying amounts of unsound positivity so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cliff Racer posted:

Not pictured: the local cop who is desperate to bring some money, ANY MONEY, into his little town by way of traffic tickets. But don't worry, he's out there, hiding behind a rock or something just waiting to get you.
I think you're overestimating the occurrence of towns on I40 through the panhandle.

Its a really surreal drive. You could be driving 90mph and feel like you're going nowhere because there are so few landmarks, and also because the locals are all going 120.

• Locked thread