Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Its always fun trying to explain how dangerous hypothermia is to someone with no outdoor experience.

One time me and a friend were out in the middle of nowhere in December like five miles from the nearest road. The days were still unusually warm but at night it was getting down to like 7 degrees. Anyway we were just getting set up for the night when a guy walks into our camp. He was soaking wet from trying to fish in a near by creek, and apparently falling in. He had stayed out later than he expected so he decided that he'd rather camp than walk back to his car. He ask if we would mind if he camps beside us, we say no.

We watch as the guy pulls out a tarp and ties it between two trees. Then he says "I suppose this will do for the night." We stare at him for a second, and I'm like "Dude do you have a sleeping bag, and dry clothes?" The guy tells us he doesn't have anything but his tarp fishing pool and pack which had his lunch, water, and fishing poo poo. He tells us he should be fine sleeping out in the elements for one night. My friend says "You do know its going to get down to single didgets tonight?" The guy says he is aware but one night in the cold is no big deal, and hes going to hike out at first light. I then inform him that without dry clothes, or a bag there is a good chance he'll be dead before first light. Long story short we spend like an hour convincing this guy he needs to get back to his car and go home. Finally we just broke camp, and hiked back with him to make sure he went.

I went camping with a 'friend' once who brought a tarp and rope like that for a tent, and a bed sheet for sleeping bag. i thought he was bat poo poo insane (turned out after the hike which was early in our acquaintance, he completely was) It got surprisingly cold that night and I wondered if he was still alive, so I went out closer to his tent and listened to him snoring away. He was sleeping better than I was and it was about 35 degrees. I asked him the next day, wtf, and he nonchalantly just chalked it off to having Norwegian grandparents and went about the rest of the day mocking me for being having my own roots in southern europe and basically being genetically inferior on the camping trip... yeah it was weird, but I did come out of that experience thinking maybe those vikings really did have superhuman cold tolerance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

man i thought for a few seconds that 2015 would not be a year of assholes climbing everest but actually a year of yuppie climbers loving off and/or cleaning (specifically paying for sherpas to clean) the huge mess that is the mountain. nope just more assholes. i hope all of them die

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Do you also believe Christmas gift comes from an overweight Canadian man who sneaks into your house at night?

Sure he scared me in the middle of the night but my mom said he was just an uncle

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

I take personal offence to Bitcoin being promoted on a mountain.

Take your flag and shove it up your rear end.

It's bad in it's own right, it's a lot worse right after all the sherpas died

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

nerdz posted:

How hilarious would it be if the bitcoin guy can't even manage to get to the base camp

pretty sure the only way this can happen is if they blow a tire and even then it will only be a few hours delay. no, let's hope the sherpas revolt again before he gets there

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Default Settings posted:

Found this in the china.jpg thread: The shadow of K2

That's.. hmmmmmmmm.... makes u think

I'd much rather die going to space than climbing a mountain

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

There are several routes, but most of them are considered suicidal.

Here's a brief overview.

That wouldn't do anything but make it even more unstable. It's loving massive and it's ice not just snow.

I think this says a lot about how insane you have to be to climb K2. Like the south side is for you 'if you're not afraid of avalanches'.. except every route on K2 gives you I think a statistical chance of 25% if you die, of dieing in an avalanche. So the with the south route you have an even higher chance of being killed by avalanche, but hey if you're completely loving insane and not afraid of leaving your life up to complete luck..even more so than all the other routes... this is the route for you

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

Yeah, seriously.

The Sherpas can pretty much gently caress off, in as much they are simply part of the massive expeditions, that no, don't own the mountain. They might own the mountain when it comes to the people they handhold all the way up, sure, but other competent, self-sufficient people that just happen to be on the same mountain? Yeah, not really.

I think they actually own the mountain though, not that I agree with turning the mountain into an amusement park, but uh.. that side is nepal... it's not some magical boundary free land once you get above 23,000 ft like the 'elite climbers' think it is.

it's probably completely ridiculous to a sherpa for some professional climber to be trying to 'achieve' anything on Everest in the year 2013. So you have these douchy dudes who have made tons of money off climbing kicking ice at you while you're trying to work for nothing.... Judging by that interview, when confronted the climbers probably said all the wrong things like 'it's not your mountain guys it's nobody's moutain, we are free here'. :a2m: Then they try to get back in their most expensive tents and watch youtube videos on their extremely expensive ruggedized film equipment.... I can see why tensions would rise

ethanol fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 9, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Eikre posted:

Last I checked, the Napoleonic wars were fought over pastoral European heartlands, not windswept hellscapes of asphixia and freezing death. A dude getting disease after you feed him a diet of hardtack is still the causality of war, not an environment which is anathema to life itself.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

drat allah, i was getting drunk and mad about ayrton senna last night but knowing you have been busy shakin' the infidels off your majesty, well what can I say, god is great

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

:boom:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

benzine posted:

Edit: Removed video, it was from other year.

where is basecamp in this video

edit: :ramsay:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

So you think safaris gone wrong are hilarious too?

that sounds hilarious

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Like when lions and elephants eat the safari dudes. Ummm, that's like classic comedy?
Yeah this was prob the best comedy of the decade

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

You know that was Alaska and not the safari, and that guy was actually trying to do some good about bears not being the great evil that must be destroyed instead of trying to shoot them?

ha ha ha ha ha ha it's a lot funnier if you really believe that

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

rip our lost alaskan safarimen

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

You did watch Grizzly Man right? The movie where 80% is the footage he shot because Werner Herzog thought it was good?

yeah and the other 20% is pure herzog comedy with the amazing testimonies of the locals... "look how loving hilariously crazy and wrong he was about everything"... "ah yeah but he got some good footage before he got eaten by a bear" lol

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

Tons of tweets shorten earthquake into just quake, it confuses me with thoughts of pixellated avalanches and nin music

I liked the drudge headline :siren:SUPER QUAKE:siren:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Oh Long Johnson posted:

Actually it's insanely bad and full of weird obsessive posters just like all the other megathreads

well it is now that you're here to save the day

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

MorgaineDax posted:

https://instagram.com/p/13WNquxFl-/

He posted this picture yesterday.

hipster mountaineers now eh

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

he's about as rich white mountaineer as you can get, I think we really hit the jackpot here

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

bucksmash posted:

All jokes aside, hopefully they can rescue those who can still be rescued.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I wonder if anybody in the high camps is trying to convince their team to keep climbing in true everest spirit

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Pvt Dancer posted:

Video showing the avalanche, not sure if it's cut or happens that sudden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPD8IE_Qc4A

poo poo, complete poo poo. It's 2016 people let's get some loving go pros

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

it's not like americans getting hurt on funny home videos would make really successful tv show or anything

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Demonachizer posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1488

Choose another one instead history buff and Something Awful poster "AnxietyMan 14 words Heil Hitler"

what about AnxietyMan APRIL 25 2015 NEVER FORGET

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

keevo posted:

Don't think this video has been posted yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JC_wIWUC2U

I'm surprised that didn't bury those guys

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

FordPRefectLL posted:

lol what the gently caress do you even do
run for cover, use a beacon and pray there will be people to dig you out if you get buried. There are those avalanche airbags, but they're for people who trigger avalanches. They're supposed to float you to the top before the snow settles.Nothing works when when you're already on the level ground like that where the snow comes to a rest, you're just not supposed to be there. Of course avalanches don't normally roll through base camp

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

Anyone wanna one-up me?

boom bitch what next

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Madcosby posted:

whats the gbs opposition to steck?

he's denying us his go pro death footage with every climb, but soon

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

spite house posted:

I've wanted to trek the Annapurna Sanctuary since forever, but it looks like Kathmandu being all hosed up will seriously impede tourism for awhile. Which sucks a lot from a spoiled-arrogant-first-up-against-the-wall Westerner perspective, but is also a drat shame because of how much revenue they'll lose when they need it most. loving bummer.

Seriously though, if you want to gawk at the Himalayas and do some high-altitude hiking (and puking) the Annapurna Sanctuary is where it's at. Look.

the sierras are just a little mini version but with trees, modern infrastructure and other cool poo poo

just go there and ruin our own country with your unbagged feces

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Xaris posted:

Well that's HDRd and time-lapsed to poo poo. I mean some of the Sierras are cool in the spring when there is snow still but mostly melted with flora blooming, but it often looks like this which still is nice but kind of blurs together in a mix of pine trees, granite and dying shrubbery.

I guess Kings Canyon/Sequoia is cool in the winter too

Dely Apple posted:

Those aren't the Sierra Nevadas, there's water and snow :colbert:
huh that's cool well here's some pics that I took in the sierras in august

obviously a very hostile environment, in this one I decided to actually traverse the ice. It was almost suicide and I'm a bout ready for everest

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

it looks far too dangerous to me, it could fall . stay away from that thing

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

gently caress I just took cover in a tent on this thread's advice and now I'm dead

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I Greyhound posted:

Almost certainly trying to do something similarly stupid as this:
https://youtu.be/TWfph3iNC-k?t=1m14s

There's flying, and then there's flying in a way that a gust of wind or 2 milliseconds of error in leg positioning kills you.

why is it that every flying video i see has that song

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

gently caress you john krakuer you're not my real dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i wouldn't suggest c limibing everest at any age

• Locked thread