Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

raditts posted:

The sign says "STOP" but the picture of the reaper says "c'mon guy, it's cool there's room for one more"

Mixed messages on that sign, man.
im a cave diver.... I Go past those signs in virtually every cave (in reality they mark the end of the "light zone" and the start of the actual cave system with up to miles of laid and maintained guideline. It's a sign that scares away people, but if youre trained you go past it and thats really where the dive starts. Death is close to certain if you aren't a cave diver though (takes lots of specialized training and equipment), and even then death is surprisingly possible!

Bishop fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Torka posted:

not surprisingly
sorry about not being a pussy

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Ok so indulge me for a post. I'm a minor cave diver, only a few dozen under my belt, my thing is being a deep ocean wreck diver. I know a few people
Who have died . I train and study all the time: Am I a dumb idiot according to this thread

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Noslo posted:

Nah, a lot of the fatal cave diving posts involved deep dives.

Normal scuba license goes to 60 feet and plenty of those were 200+. This is where it gets hairy, at that deep its not just the cave but the pressure that's deadly.

That being said I do love diving but my sense of adventure ends right about where I need a flashlight
ive done around 25 deeper than 200ft and a lot approaching that. Deep diving and cave diving are two somewhat separate things. You can deep dive or cave dive or both. In my experience a lot of cave dives are deep and long enough that we use mixed gas ( non air- oxygen nitrogen helium) mixes, and have to follow a decompression schedule, meaning you have to switch gasses and hang out at certain depths

My deepest dives are ocean: when I go deep I'm mainly worried about the narcotic effects of my various breathing gasses. If I'm dicing a rebreather I want to make sure it's properly maintaing a partial pressure of oxygen that won't make me have a seizure and die. I'm also worried about being able to launch a surface marker, which I have to attach to a 400+ ft reel and then inflate at depth. If your reel jams while it's heading to the surface you just have to let go or it's an elevator ride to hell

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
To tie technical diving in with mountaineering, I can think of 14 courses I've taken, with cards to show them.. If someone wants to know if I can do decompression in a cave I've got cards that specifically prove that. Why doesn't mountaineering have the same sort of thing? If there was something like that it would be harder for someone to ~follow their dreams~ and make Everest their first mountain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

XMNN posted:

speaking of that guy, I found his website earlier

http://deepcave.com/

its got some photos including of the dead people cave, the dive report from when he found the guys body and a live blog of the preparations for the retrieval
Ive watched the video of the deadly recovery dive probably a dozen times. The moment he sees an entanglement hazard he should have aborted. We all violate some of the red line rules but on a dive THAT deep, the moment things stop going perfectly he should have gotten out. His descent was fast and well executed, but the turn he makes around the body is just asking to get entangled in line or gear.

There's a reason overhead environment divers carry 3+ knives on them and it's not to fight off sharks.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 26, 2015

• Locked thread