Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Grr, that article says some american lad is the youngest to summit, that's not true anymore.

Oh, wait, she's Indian. Forget I said anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've just started reading Lene Gammelgard's account of 1996. It's kind of a diary and stilted in a very Danish way so we'll see how we get on.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

quote:

“In the Everest movie, I’m thinking who put those ropes in? Who put the ladders across the icefall? Who put up those tents they’re climbing into? Who carried the oxygen? Who carried the food they’re now eating? The Sherpas do that work and that is never shown,” Peedom said. “The Sherpas did a huge amount of work on that expedition and they were heavily involved in the rescue. There were also Sherpas killed so I think it’s yet another example of them being left out of the story.”

I think this nailed exactly what I hated about that movie. They were trying to make out they were some sort of heroes for doing it, but it is nothing that hasn't been done before, and particularly embarrassing was the total lack of the Sherpa people. The only heroes in the film were those dudes piloting the helicopter who risked their life to rescue some rich Texan.

I was really disappointed in that film. I think the only mountaineering movie that works is 'Touching the Void' and that is more like a documentary.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Skellybones posted:

The Everest movie didn't actually have any Sherpas? jfc

Even Titanic remembered there were grimy dudes belowdecks shovelling coal into the furnaces

To be honest, I fell asleep an hour or so in. This film I had been waiting for for the best part of a year, about a thing I am obsessed with (I mean I've been the OP of these threads for the last couple of years ffs), and I fell asleep. I fell asleep.

There are 5 Sherpas in the film according to IMDB, three of which are uncredited. So. Yeah.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 16, 2015

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

drat I must have slept through that bit.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm the OP. Can I change the title or is it mods only? I agree, the new yearly threads always get clogged up with the same 'use a helicopter/slide/cannon LOL' posts which get a little boring, especially if you're a long-term Everest thread follower.

title suggestions?

Everest 2016: Ain't no mountain high enough (to die on.)

Everest 2016: Helicopters optional.

Everest 2016: This year nothing bad will happen.

Everest 2016: The mountain god hungers.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 29, 2016

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The North Tower posted:

Did we ever get a final count for the death pool? I believe I owe some people some books—the best I can find is 22 deaths last year. If so, BaronVonVaderham PM me and pick a book! I believe you also win a drawing of you or your avatar as Canadian lady in yellow.

Everest 2016: 23 and me

Yes! I owe a drawing!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Me too, imma draw you atop Everest, livin the dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Happy to make a new thread.

• Locked thread