Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Ursine Asylum posted:

One of the first google results is still the facebook page. I thought it was a joke thing until I looked at the dates...

Hey guys I climbed a 20ft rock climbing wall rated a 5.6 WELP TIME FOR EVEREST

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Saddest thing about Mt. Everest to me is that its littered with discarded trash now. People talk about how its such a beautiful place but then you see pictures of all the stuff climbers have left behind on it in their quest for the top. So yeah, even if you succeed in reaching one of the most remarkable places on the planet, in the process you've tarnished it further and ruined its natural splendor. The whole thing is a testament to greed. Spend a ridiculous amount of cash, get pulled up a slope, throw crap on it before stumbling back down.

Trash and poo poo. It is the frozen Ganges

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

how could y'all forget about the cutest thing about everest?

:3:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

gonna go up to green boots and 69 him

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

She'd probably have been fine if she didn't waste 30 minutes up there loving around.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

http://www.startribune.com/nation/288439021.html

The two dudes climbing Yosemite are almost at the top. Cool and safe climbing is just as impressive!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bob James posted:

I'm going to Everest's summit and this is how I will get there:

Make a big enough impact so K2 becomes the tallest

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

just thought it would be kinda crazy is someone brought a grenade to the summit and murdered everyone there. hell of a way to go

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

midnightclimax posted:

There was a british guy whose plan was to crash-land on Everest, and then walk the rest to the top. Of course he had neither experience in flying nor climbing.

Yea but I imagine he believed in himself so he was perfectly qualified.

When is someone going to climb with a pressurized suit? Have a long hose from camp 4 and be fine

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

XMNN posted:

in the endless quest to be the first by any metric, any qualifier at all, ofc they have

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Macartney-Snape

not impressed unless they went from the dead sea to everest

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It always terrified me that they cross those ladders by using their crampons to bridge the gap between rungs. Otherwise your foot is more or less suspended over air

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

i plan on live streaming my mountain biking so friends can watch me die in real time. climbers should do the same

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

Hey, %50 off climbing to base camp! http://www.theclymb.com/adventures/14450/everest-base-camp/show-product/132775

Sure, we won't die on the summit, but we could find a way to die on our way.

Didn't a goon do this a year or two ago? It seems like a pretty fun trip without the horrific dying part

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Instead of imposing a $4000 fine for not bringing down enough trash they should make them climb back up and retrieve some. Of course then there might be 180lb of trash on the mountain but I feel the risk is worth it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

2 at most

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/03/11/powdered_alcohol_palcohol_approved_for_sale.html?wpsrc=sh_all_dt_fb_top

I wonder how being trashed off powdered alcohol would be up on everest

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yea lock me in at 2

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I had a dream last night where I was waiting to climb everest but it was closed due to rain. Decided it wasn't worth it and went to pee at a nearby gas station.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lol holy poo poo (I guess literally)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Best I could do in Pixlr at work...

thatll do pig

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

This is exactly it. I've told this story before on the forums, but it's kind of interesting so I'll tell again. I was on my way down from a fairly easy peak called East End of Rundle in the Canadian Rockies, and there was a thunderstorm approaching when I was still above treeline. I was trying to get back into the trees quickly at least before it hit because lightning is a major concern out in the open. There was a section of trail that traversed a cliff band that wasn't difficult at all, it was straight and flat, but it was a cliff band. Steep drop off on the left. There was a great view of a lake valley ahead of me and I was paying more attention to it than my feet. I was with my husband, who was walking ahead of me telling me a story about work. Just as he turned around to make some hand gestures, I strayed enough off the path that my foot stepped on the edge of the path and it crumbled away. I pretty much fell headfirst over the side of the cliff. I remember just saying fairly calmly "oh my god" and then a bunch of blurry moments as I tumbled head over heels down a rocky face. It was only 15 feet, but it felt a lot farther and longer than that.

When I stopped on a small ledge, I had lost my glasses, I was on my belly with my backpack pulled up over my head, and underneath a few big rocks. I still had my hiking poles strapped to my hands, which actually made things worse as I couldn't grab for anything to stop my fall. I was actually pretty calm. I heard my husband saying he was coming down to help me, and I gave instructions on what to do to help me sort myself out. "Take the poles off, move this rock pinning my shoulder and head, take off my pack, help me sit against the rocks over there."I asked if my glasses broke, but he had found them, and they were in tact aside from a couple scratches and chips. When I put them on and sat facing out over the valley, I saw where I was and loving froze. I was on a small ledge overlooking a 500 foot drop, and my feet had been hanging out over it. There was 100% no way I would have survived if I had gone over. I would have splattered.

I was pretty injured, but nothing broken. I had a huge gash in my head that soaked half my hair, half my face, and a bunch of my shirt in blood, and nearly every inch of me was scraped and/or bruised and/or cut. My right knee couldn't bend at all. My husband tried to get me to stand up to attempt to walk the rest of the way down but between the injuries and fear, I didn't feel like I could do it at all. There were a few places below where I would have to downclimb exposed rock faces. It would have been immensely dangerous, so we called for a rescue. A helicopter showed up to scope out the situation, and they decided that a heli-sling was the only safe option. The lowered a two-man team down, fitted me with a neckbrace, and strapped me onto a spineboard. Hooked me up to a cable hanging underneath the helicopter, and flew me to a nearby waiting ambulance. I was lowered onto a stretcher, and put into the back of the vehicle with a group of 4 guys. They tried for 20 minutes to get an IV in, but I was in shock and my veins were all shriveled up. Took all 4 on both arms to finally get it. They had gone back to get my husband, and he was waiting the whole time freaking out that something was seriously wrong in our car, which was at the same place as the ambulance was parked. When they finally managed to get the IV in, we raced into the closest town to the hospital.

I ended up with 10 stitches in my head, and another three in my leg where a rock had stabbed my shin. Because it's Canada, the entire rescue cost $25.00. There was a short newspaper article written about me, with one of the rescuers saying that "one more bounce and the fall would have been fatal."

When I was sitting on the ledge, I vowed to never summit another peak ever again. The next day, I figured that I probably would again, just not this year. A few days after that, I couldn't wait to start going again. It took 4 weeks to recover and feel normal again. 5 weeks after my fall, I was back on a summit. I just really love it, I couldn't stop. I ended up with a few big scars on my legs, my left knuckles that had been completely skinned off, and the one on my head which is like 2 or 3 inches long. One of these days I should shave my head just so I can see that bastard. It's raised up pretty far too.

This story is all people need to know as to why people climb and risk death for these insane mountains. There's just something in you that drives you to do it. Sure it might be a death wish, but damnit you're going to do it

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

really though it would be sweet to see what everest looks like from sea level if it was just a giant gently caress off mountain

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Just hanging out at 7800ft in Big Bend

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Khumbu icefall back and forth, forever

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 7, 2015

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Geology is cool as gently caress tell us more

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I remember seeing Mount St. Helens as a kid and all the flattened trees was a pretty spectacular sight. Happy anniversary death mountain

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sounds like a job for some cave divers

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I Greyhound posted:

Any particular reason wingsuits aren't based on flying mammals that actually fly well?

With carbon fiber composite "fingers" you should easily be able to double the wingspan and bring glide speed down to something must less retarded than the flying-squirrel suits.

Or is falling "fast and slightly forward" the preferred mode for thrillseekers?

Wing suits seem to be more modeled after flying squirrels where the idea isnt to fly but to have a controlled glide

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

i am slightly disappointed you didnt die on dream everest

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If that Canadian lady could get up and partly down the mountain by training on a stair master then anyone can do it. She was just dumb and didn't go down when was advisable

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That is certainly one that would be cool to see in IMAX

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Everest movie comes out this month and I will go see it

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

rotinaj posted:

I wonder which drive would be nicer to make there. Someday I wanna do something like that.

When I was a kid we took a 7 month trip around the US. Started in Virginia, went north, then down and around all the way up to Alaska, then back down to hit everything in the middle of the country on our way to Texas.

It absolutely owned and I wish to do it with my own family some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The green and brown poo poo water that is the gulf coast is not

• Locked thread