Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Hell, if you're looking for technically challenging climbs that aren't on murdermountains that thirst for human blood, go climb Mount Rainier or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

They do tell them that they need to turn back/have been up too long and more often than not the climbers go "gently caress you heh I paid $100,000 to climb this loving mountain I'm gonna savor it and besides bad things happen to other people, not me, I will obviously be fine" and then they turn into a gaudy nylon-covered ice mummy for us to laugh at.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Cave diving is like climbing mount everest except upside down.

Makes you think.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Pick posted:

he was a fuckin historical hottie too

kickstarter to snap his dead frigid dick off and make a cast of it for folk to enjoy worldwide

I dunno. It's pretty cold up there.. :flaccid:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Well on the bright side now he can go climb it and be The First Canadian Pianist Formerly Married to a Woman of South Asian Origin who Immigrated to Canada and then Died While Climbing Mount Everest to summit.

Really one for the history books.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Welp there's even 4G now but maybe not on the actual summit?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Damo posted:

I think you are thinking of Sandy Hill (formerly Sandy Hill Pittman), the rich New Yorker from the 1996 Everest Disaster. She brought some crazy luxury poo poo those poor sherpas had to haul up. To her credit she had a deal with NBC to do a video diary and other broadcasts from her climb with the Mountain Madness expedition, so she likely was required to bring some unconventional gear with her. However, yeah I believe she did bring a coffee machine or something like that, among other luxury items to Everest in 1996.

She also was a pretty decently accomplished climber prior to her Everest attempt, summitting Aconcagua, Mount McKinley, Vinson Massif, Mount Elbrus, Mount Kilimanjaro, Mount Kosciuszko, and Puncak Jaya (according to Wikipedia at least) before she attempted Everest. She wasn't a pro 8000er by any means, but she was certainly light years ahead of a certain unfortunate Canadian woman this thread loves to poke fun at when it came to basic mountaineering. Someone more knowledgeable on the subject can likely give more detail on the stuff she brought with her on Everest, it's been a while since I read the various books on the 96 disaster.

The single item that she gets the most crap about is some sort of espresso maker but IIRC it turns out it was more like a Bialetti-type thing and not the gigantic contraption normally envisioned. She had a bunch of other poo poo too in order to do her broadcasts and most of that was left at base camp or one camp up.

Discovery Channel did a reality show of sorts on Everest for 3 seasons, and their amount of stuff wasn't unreasonable but people give them poo poo about the David Sharp thing.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Lincoln posted:

Wait, how do you even boil water at that altitude? I mean, you can boil it, yeah, but how hot can it possibly be?

I don't know but they all drink a shitload of tea so I'm sure it works somehow. Looks like water boils at ~166F at that altitude?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Portable pressure cooker!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

ImPureAwesome posted:

Do you guys think global warming might play a role in the safety of crossing the icefall and stuff like that as time goes on?

Probably but it's hard to tell from the data since the number of retards on the mountain has a big role in safety too and it's been going up exponentially.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Install a series of pullup bars all the way to the summit and they'll just kip their way up.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

My guess is 0 because no one will be allowed to climb it this year.

I don't care if that's already taken.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Many activities can murder you completely at random even if you've done everything absolutely correctly.

K2 is a terrifying mountain of death but I don't get nearly as much schadenfreude out of watching people die on it because the people who try to climb it are at least people who care about climbing mountains, versus Everest where most everyone up there is a retard bucket-lister who only wants to summit so they can take a picture and make a tweet about "woo made it to the top #summit #everest #yolo" and brag about it back home to pretend to be interesting.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I wonder how much of that was him whoring for money and how much of that was the editors of the piece having an agenda?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

BarbarousBertha posted:

The similarities between FYAD and Everest are pretty blatant.

A mountain of garbage, corpses, and poop?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Rondette posted:

What happened here? Did they just post smilies? Huh.

Nah it was a giant weird story with a goatse at the end.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

:rip:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

He's a theoretical physicist by training, but Black Asian Science Man by trade.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Congrats your dad was probably a Hell's Angel.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It wouldn't surprise me if they've 'reopened' it knowing that the vast majority of permit holders won't be able to make another attempt if only so they don't get demands for another rollover next year.

Because they really do need the :10bux:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

For the professional mountaineer types on K2 and the like, it's typically a combination of sponsorships and the mountaineering guide companies they usually own/work for paying well enough that they can afford it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Chris! posted:

Most mountains aren't as expensive as Everest. And if you love mountaineering, even if it's just a hobby, that's what you save up for instead of expensive cars or holidays, even if it takes years.

I browsed around the International Mountain Guides site just for fun to get an idea of the :10bux:. Not including personal gear and flights, the expedition cost you're looking at is about..

$60,000 to climb Everest
$40,000 to climb Vinson Massif
$18,000 to climb Cho Oyu
$4,600 to climb Mount Elbrus
$4,200 to climb Mount Kilimanjaro (if you skip the safari, $5,700 for both)
$3,500 to climb the Matterhorn
$1,300 to climb Mount Rainier
$1,000 to climb Mount Whitney
$850 to climb Mount Baker

It gets pretty reasonable to climb not-Everest mountains, and totally doable for people who enjoy mountaineering as a hobby instead of having a singleminded burning desire to cross 'climbed the tallest mountain' off their bucket list.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Jose posted:

Is it just Everest in the Himalayas thats expensive or is K2 equally expensive to climb? The rest don't look anywhere near as bad as I was expecting

I'd recommend everyone drive up Pike's Peak if you're in Colorado. You can drive from Colorado Springs right onto the top of the mountain at 4000m+ although I can't recommend staying too long since you have to drive back down. I was only up there for about 5-10 minutes and was starting to get dizzy since there is no acclimatization

Cho Oyu is also in the Himalayas for an example from the list I gave, K2 is not in the Himalayas but it's also not a mountain that has commercial expeditions because it's a murderous bitch.

Lhotse is 22k, Ama Dablam is 11k, and the false-summit of Lobuche is like 5k.

The Himalayas are a price point above most of the other mountains (obviously Vinson Massif is also in the :homebrew: category because Antarctica), but it's mostly just Everest that's absolutely insane.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The money you pay IMG includes stuff like tents and food and climbing education. But yeah, for people who already know how to climb mountains and already have the gear, climbing mountains is relatively affordable, especially if you're doing it alpine style and not having a gang of locals carry you and all your poo poo.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

kindermord posted:

Crocodile Dundee 2015:

"That's not a knife. THIS is a knife!"

*pulls out piece of plastic flatware*

*cops bust in*

If you're going to be buying any cutlery I need to see some ID!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

About ten years ago, Mount St. Helens was seeing some activity again. Supposedly you could see this plume from Seattle. Of course, like everyone living here, we had to go up and take a picture because wow pretty or something?

Pretty much every big "mountain" out here is a volcano. Rainier erupting would be a pretty bad scenario, not just because of the ash being produced that much closer to Seattle, but because (my understanding, geologists please point out where I am wrong) the lahars would run right though the south part of the Seattle-Tacoma area (e.g. Tacoma) and it would not be pretty.

Tacoma being wiped out by a rushing flood of superheated volcanic mud would be a vast improvement.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

What a rip-off.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Nobody likes violists.

Can confirm.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Uber Everest, you can contract a team of Sherpas but I'm pretty sure none of them have had background checks, they might chase you off the mountain trying to stab you if you're not careful.

• Locked thread