Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Im afraid 8 climbers wont return from everest :ohdear:

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Default Settings posted:

Found this in the china.jpg thread: The shadow of K2

Oh wow, I remember seeing a picture like this in The Summit. I think I can understand risking my life descending during night to catch such a sunset.

Those are just clouds, and I'm p sure your picture is Yemen. :smithcloud:

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Trillian posted:

Alison Hargreaves climbed the Eiger while six months' pregnant, and later died on K2 when her kid was six years old.

Said kid decided dying on mountains sounded good and just finished climbing all six north faces of the Alps in one winter, alone without a support crew: http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web15s/newswire-tom-ballard-6-alps-peaks-solo-winter

quote:

A few months later on August 13, Hargreaves reached the summit of K2, but she was blown off the mountain with five other climbers on the descent by winds exceeding 260 miles per hour.

Oh my god, when I heard K2 had strong winds I never imagined that. Even if that's supposed to be in kilometers an hour(?), she pretty much faced a sustained F4 tornado while on K2's cliffs.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Oh wow, looking at pictures of what this earthquake has done, I can't imagine being on Everest during such a thing :ohdear:

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Pvt Dancer posted:

moments before:

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Fooma posted:

Why isn't anyone asking important questions, like is green boots safe? Its going to be a harder climb if all the old trail markers have been moved.

Our good news is that we have new trail markers

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

Touching the Void is about a dude with the worst loving luck on a mountain called Siula Grande. Best climbing documentary imo.
his favorite mountaineering music(in a new window)

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

oh my goodness. I cant imagine how he felt while he was capturing that moment, instead of like trying to run or sheltering or something :(

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Cubey posted:

where the gently caress do you run or take shelter from a giant wall of snow when you're on a barren mountain

gently caress it if i saw something like that coming i'd assume i was dead and keep recording because poo poo man, why the gently caress shouldn't i

Thats kinda what i meant though. Like, he saw such an avalanche barreling right at him and he somehow had a presence of mind to capture what he probably felt would be one of his last living moments with a camera. All his emotions, while he was knowing and kinda accepting he's about to die enough to take a picture instead of wasting all his time running, and afterwards when he lived, have had to of been indescribable. :(

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Picnic Princess posted:

This might be of interest to people, I've posted it in the hiking thread before.

Parks Canada posts accident reports for all major incidents in the Canadian Rockies National Parks, in hopes that it's used as a tool for people to learn from others' mistakes and accidents. They range from really experienced people who just encounter bad luck/nature just being nature, to extreme idiots completely out of their league. They go back to 2010.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/mtn/securiteenmontagne-mountainsafety/accidents.aspx

For the August 13 2011 Mt. Aberdeen incident, I was actually at the staging area for the helicopter while preparing for a scramble, so I filmed the helicopter. Sorry for my dumb hoser accent.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/mtn/securiteenmontagne-mountainsafety/accidents/2011/08-2011.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DtmMQ7UOMY

And here's a really cool video of a technical rescue of a climber who had been hit by rockfall. It's the same helicopter team that performed my rescue, but I wasn't in a national park so it was a different ground team and agency. (My incident is not included in the above lists because of that)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7_4n_4Qhu4
cliffside helicopter rescuers are amazing, wow.

Those incident reports are grimly fascinating, thank you. I think accidents when climbers have like just simple bad luck get especially terrifying :(

Rockfall accident, Mount Geikie, Mount Robson Provincial Park, Aug 15 2012 posted:

On August 15th 2012, an experienced climbing party of four were climbing the S face of Mount Giekie. This is a remote alpine style rock climb located at the western portion of the Rampart Mountains in Tonquin Valley. The parties were climbing in 2 rope teams staying in close proximity to each other. At approximately 10a.m., one of the climbers was leading a 5.4 pitch when the 1/2 car size block he was standing on released causing him to fall along with it. Tumbling with the large rock, he fell 20m before his belayer caught him just as he hit a ledge with the large rock. The rock exploded spreading shrapnel. This ledge was adjacent to the second party. The belayer was hit by rock fall, injuring him and forcing him off the ledge.

The belayer suffered 3 broken ribs. A third climber, who was standing near the ledge where the block impacted and where the lead climber came to rest, suffered lacerations to his head and soft tissue damage to his ankle with a hole in his boot from the rock. The fourth climber escaped unscathed. The lead climber suffered massive internal injuries, never regained consciousness, and eventually stopped breathing. They attempted to call out with a satellite phone but had no reception. Both climbing party’s ropes were damaged. They salvaged what they could and did short rappels to descend. The satellite phone was attempted several times during the descent with no reception.

They returned to base camp at 2050hrs and got satellite reception. They called Jasper National Parks Emergency dispatch to report the incident. It was dusk and a helicopter was launched from Yellowhead Helicopters in Valemount to fly directly to their camp. The helicopter had just enough daylight to retrieve one person and return to Valemount in the dark. Jasper National Parks rescue team helicoptered to the camp at first light. The remaining 2 people were evacuated and the lead climber was heli-slung off the face and pronounced deceased.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Minrad posted:

If you tilt your head to the right, he's just falling down in some dude's rocky field.
:eyepop:

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Fluo posted:

Well 7 people died in 1922, but only 1 person died 1924. :o
Everest claimed four lives in 1924, two sherpas and two brits. The picture is of George Mallory, he disappeared trying to reach the top; an expedition found his body like so in 1999,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Madcosby posted:

ITT we rotate (and crop a bit) mountain climbers to instead make them very clumsy people

I hope he finds what he's looking for

lol I'm having fun finding these, ty :)

• Locked thread