Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Axetrain posted:

I want to feel bad about that lady but she was just so dumb. Everyone tried to tell her this was stupid even on the ascent ,the professional climbers were like "Lady you have no oxygen left if you keep going you are seriously going to die!" , "My dreams will see me through this hardship" -Everest deathtoll +1

I started digging into everything I could find about her, and the absolute biggest red flag, besides her training for 6 months by climbing the gym's rock wall and jogging around with a 20lb weighted vest, was her choice of gear. Mountaineers will swear their lives by their preferred brand of gear, and she listed in her "wishlist" generic types. I think someone also mentioned that several of the pieces of the gear she said she was taking were of mediocre quality or just plain wrong for Everest.

She also went through 7 bottles of oxygen just to make the ascent, when most people use 2-3. By the time she popped the 5th bottle the sherpas should've refused to let her go further and made her go back down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

hailthefish posted:

They do tell them that they need to turn back/have been up too long and more often than not the climbers go "gently caress you heh I paid $100,000 to climb this loving mountain I'm gonna savor it and besides bad things happen to other people, not me, I will obviously be fine" and then they turn into a gaudy nylon-covered ice mummy for us to laugh at.

Certain top tier travel agencies have someone on site who can refuse to let someone go past base camp 4 if they don't think the person is capable of it. The travel agency the Canadian lady went with seemed to be the "discount" option.

cave diving

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/father-son-cave-divers-died-running-air-underwater-report-article-1.1726810

quote:

Darrin Spivey and his son Dillon Sanchez were inexperienced divers who investigators say took a big risk by attempting the dangerous descent into Florida’s Eagle Nest Sink — often called the 'Mount Everest' of cave diving. Hernando County Sheriff’s Office said the pair died after their tanks ran out of oxygen.

In a newly released report, Hernando County Sheriff’s Office says the inexperienced divers died when their tanks ran out of oxygen.

35-year-old Darrin Spivey had given his 15-year-old son Dillon Sanchez new diving equipment as a present. Spivey was a certified diver, but he wasn’t certified in cave diving. His son was never certified.
Diver Darrin Spivey and his 15-year-old son Dillon Sanchez used just air to descend to 233 feet. Experts say the pair should have used trimix, a combination of nitrogen, helium and oxygen.

Still, the pair decided to take their chances with the Eagle Nest Sink — a vast underground cave that extends 300 feet underwater and has a main hall the size of a football field,

It would've been easier to just chug some cyanide when you're that stupid.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 13, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pick posted:

good loving lord

everest shouldn't be your first loving mountain

But it was her dream!

Seriously though, her husband must've been a weak willed piece of poo poo to just agree and let her spend $50-60k just so she can climb the world's tallest mountain even though she has literally zero experience. There's comprising in marriages and then there's "gently caress no I will not be a party to your death wish". That he didn't even fight her on it and tell her to climb some other smaller mountains first means he was either as dumb as her or completely cowed by her.

Really, 15 minutes on the internet would tell you that people die on Everest every year, and some of them are expert climbers who just get hit with bad luck. But this poo poo

quote:

The Torontonian had long dreamed of reaching the 8,848-metre summit. With no climbing experience, she paid Utmost Adventure Trekking, a company that she learned of through family in Nepal, almost $40,000 to guide her.

During her training, Shah-Klorfine had to be taught almost everything, including how to put crampons on her boots.

"If she wanted something there was nothing you could say to stop her," he (her husband) added. "She was very strong-willed, you could say Type A."

But Shah-Klorfine was using a lot more oxygen than other climbers due to the fact that she kept it flowing at a high rate, began using it earlier in her climb than most and spent a longer time on the mountain.

is just someone given the rope to hang their self and eagerly jumping into the noose.

Now that Nepal has slashed the price of the climbing license by 50% or higher you're going to get even more people who lack a fundamental knowledge of mountain climbing and think that a few months in the gym and a few weeks with the Sherpas will get them to the summit effortlessly.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The wiki page making comparisons between Amundsen and Scott makes Scott's plans look like some serious amateur hour hijinks. It's almost like that Mitchell and Webb skit where the 2 explorers are starving in a tent, and one keeps asking to eat holiday foods, like an autumn squash or a Christmas pudding and the other rebukes him because its not the correct time of the year to eat them and by god they're Englishman and they respect tradition.

Now that I think about it, the Scott expedition might've been the inspiration for the skit.

• Locked thread