Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
Thanks to this thread i watched the Everest documentary on Netflix last night, it was pretty good. 45 minutes long and narrated by Liam Neeson, it doesn't get much better than that. The documentary was filmed during 1996 when all those idiots died during that storm. The guy leading the expedition for the documentary was at base camp when the other groups of climbers decided to make for the summit with the weather being really bad. The expedition lead said "nope, too dangerous" and decided to wait a while longer. He then got to talk to his friend who was stuck up on the mountain dying during the storm, knowing he could do nothing to save him. It was ok, not enough shots of dead bodies, and could have used a little more death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar

A Spider Covets posted:

i think everest is really, really interesting, as well as cave diving and such, just from the perspective of reading about something i'd never do; i mountain ski but that's about as close as i get, and i hate caves

what i dont understand though is that if so many people have already climbed and conquered this mountain (to the point where there are legit issues with trash and lines) why is there still such congestion? you'd think the folks who are after the status of it all would be looking at k2 with hungry eyes, given its notorious reputation. have the amounts of people going to everest only increased over the past 10 years or so? seeing the rates of attempts on each of the eight-thousanders compared against each other would be cool

Because you can pay some to figuratively carry you up Everest, i don't think they offer that service on K-2. Also, 77% of attempts to climb Everest have append since 2000.

• Locked thread