Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy

Gripen5 posted:

But it sounds like 5.9 is something that is at the far extent of a beginner, but doable. While the 5.10 is where things start to get difficult to the point that you would need regular training for quite some time. It also seems to be where it transitions from near vertical climb at 5.9 to vertical or past vertical at 5.10 and above.

That still doesn't really make sense in this case. Mallory did things that people thought were impossible while climbing. Why would it be out of his ability to do a climb like that?

What does the Mallory's pipe route look like? I assume it must be comparable to what Everest has.

Also, that's a pretty sudden jump in difficulty if 5.9 is doable and 5.10 is almost impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy

etalian posted:

I liked this infographic

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the areas correlate to? The deaths at the top I understand, thats the death zone, but what about that cluster near the middle, is that the ice falls? If anyone could help me match up the data I would appreciate it.

• Locked thread