Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Cojawfee posted:

Not only do you have to deal with frostbite, no oxygen and exhaustion, now you have to avoid getting shoved off the mountain by a robot controlled by a bored teenager.

A pusher robot... on a mountain!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

keevo posted:

So if the Ice Fall is all hosed up, how do the people above it get back down?

Jump obviosly.

The folks that got stuck with 20+ on the death poll for the year are feeling good as gently caress about this.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Chocobo posted:

Well this season has gotten off to a hell of a start.

I think what you are saying is this season ended incredibly early this year.

I wonder how many of the Sherpas families are going to be hurt from this earthquake... Can't be too many Sherpas that are going to do anything other than rebuild their lives for the next few months right?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

This is great, not only are a bunch of rich people stuck on a mountain, the people that show them how to survive on the mountain are running of it without them. LOL, gotta be loving hell for the survivors as they try to figure out how to actually climb down a mountain.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

drilldo squirt posted:

I don't think it's trolling to tell people they are weird for enjoying mountain climber deaths.

How do you feel about the Star Wars 9/11 photoshop phriday? You're either a lovely troll or you're on the wrong forums mate.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Here's to more dead people folks.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nagato posted:

so BASCICALLY this thread was around a few years and it got boring repeating "here we go again" and "we told you so" whenever some underprepared rich person died on everest

so they started making morbid jokes about it, which evolved this year into a "tongue-in-cheek" death pool

then there was a big earthquake and a lot of people died, which seems to put the whole thing in a bad light

after a few misplaced offers of regret, the valiant heroes of The Something's AWful Forums attempted to defend what is basically a nihilistic lust for snuff footage on the grounds of "sarcasm" and "humor"

meanwhile there's a big disaster still happening in nepal, but this isnt really about that, is it? it's never actually about what the thread claims to be about, it's about schadenfreude and therapy

If you want to talk about the disaster in Nepal, then go find a thread that's talking about the disaster in Nepal. This thread is specifically about talking about the people on Everest and their success and failures, which yes, involves talking about people who died. So the discussion in this thread hasn't changed, the focus is still on those climbing Everest this year.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Renegret posted:

I can't tell who's on what side of the argument anymore.

I'm on the side of the mountain... And I'm holding on for the ride to be honest.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Why? The earthquake is over

The buildings are hosed and there is still earthquakes.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is it more or less guarenteed that there will be a movie or book?

Yes.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

gently caress you, I will use my faith and god to raise that mountain so it will be the tallest.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fansy posted:

thousands of locals are dead or missing but I'm only seeking out stories about the tourists.

Try one of the threads about the Nepal earthquake instead of the thread about Everest.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

So which team is going to decide to try and make a summit attempt this year anyway?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Leperflesh posted:

Every year, a few hundred hikers attempt to through-hike the Pacific Crest Trail, which stretches the length of the Sierra Nevada and Cascade mountain ranges, from the border with Mexico in southern California to the Canadian border in Washington. This is a grueling, 2,650-mile journey along the crests of some of the most spectacular, awe-inspiring mountain wilderness in the United States.

Every year, around half of the roughly three hundred hikers that attempt the complete journey, fail. Some drop out after two or three weeks, realizing that they simply aren't up to the daunting task. Some drop out after a month or two, as their weight drops, their finances dwindle, they fall behind the strict scheduling necessary to complete the journey, which usually must be made between the last of the spring snows and the first of the autumn snows. Some are injured; there are sections of the trail that require crampons, plenty of steep slopes, rock scrambles, etc. There are bears, so food must be stored in bear-proof cannisters, and meals are best prepared some distance away from the campsite. Through-hikers stop to resupply every few days, at waystations set up along the route - many by volunteers - where food and equipment can be mailed in advance, to await the hiker.

To successfully through-hike the pacific crest trail requires guts, courage, endurance, persistence, money, and luck. It is not for the faint-of-heart. It is a tremendous achievement, if one succeeds; something to cherish for a lifetime, a journey that cannot possibly fail to change a person at a deep and profound level.

Very few people die. Nobody hires porters to schlep their equipment, at third-world-country labor rates and extreme hazard to their lives. While volunteers and park employees maintain the trail, none die doing so. The cost to make an attempt is significant: one must take off work for 4-6 months, and spend a few thousand dollars on equipment, postage, and supplies. It's dangerous to go alone; many hike with a companion, or have friends and acquaintances meet them to hike various segments. Or, they may hook up with other through-hikers as they go.

This is an answer for every idiot who pays fifty grand or more to summit Everest. Your experience on Everest will probably mostly be miserable; you'll spend the entire time gasping for breath, much of it so deprived of oxygen you can't even think straight, you'll likely have to summit at night, and you'll put your own life and the lives of others at extreme risk to do it. And yes, the Himalaya are spectacular, but they're not the only spectacular place on Earth, and summiting Everest is not the only grueling physical and mental challenge available to the thrill-seeker. There are other paths to take, better paths, more worthy paths. Paths that yes, carry some risk, but reasonable risk, risk that can be largely mitigated through training and planning and the safety of a companion, who can actually rescue you - or get rescue for you - if you get into trouble.

gently caress Everest summiters. Through-hike the PCT.

Look at this poo poo: you want this. You know you want this.

Too be honest, the Appalachian trail on the East Coast is probably more fitting for people going up Everest.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Build a cheerleader-style Sherpa pyramid.

Maybe a stairway of Sherpas all the way up to the summit?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It might not be here next year.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Concerned Citizen posted:

more people in nepal died far away from everest than on everest. maybe if everyone is on everest, it will be safe

Yes, mount everest has begun sheltering its climbers from any harm.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

djssniper posted:

Looks like he's about to give Everest the finger... well his only one I suppose

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-34368256

Well actually, it seems he's already given Everest 9 fingers.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Alan Smithee posted:

There's a joke about an accomplishment that she hasn't been gangraped but I'm not going to go to such a tasteless place

I think you're reaching really far out of the possibilities here.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Everest 2016: someones going to get offended by the death pool again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea, I think it's a good idea to start a new Everest Season... thread.

• Locked thread