Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

But it was her dream!

Seriously though, her husband must've been a weak willed piece of poo poo to just agree and let her spend $50-60k just so she can climb the world's tallest mountain even though she has literally zero experience. There's comprising in marriages and then there's "gently caress no I will not be a party to your death wish". That he didn't even fight her on it and tell her to climb some other smaller mountains first means he was either as dumb as her or completely cowed by her.

Well, if you have not signed a prenup, and are reasonably well doing financially, divorcing from your bossy, know it all, annoying wife can ger a lot morr costly than letting her spend 50k on what you know will most lukely be her own funeral.

I wish I was joking but it makes sense... she must have been a loving burden for him, assuming her last wise decision was a typical example of her behaviour in everyday life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just saw this on a newspaper vending machine yesterday and thought of this thread: apparently 64 year old German climber Gerd Schütz has just left for Lhasa to climb Everest for the age record.

Could be interesting. Has anybody ever survived a heart attack/stroke in base camp?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Paramemetic posted:

From Lhasa he'd be doing the North face? He's not making the age record for another 16 years at least, current "oldest to climb Everest" is a Japanese dude who did it at age 80.

No Idea I only read the headline (BILD is the worst tabloid ever) , maybe I misunderstood and it is not for the age record. Let me check.

Edit: The article is locked behind a paywall. I guess either "oldest tax counselor on everest" or "oldest German to die on Everest" or some other stupid poo poo.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 9, 2015

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My word, the Google guy was a douche bag alright. If anyone had it coming it is a dude who makes jokes about being so cool he drinks a coffee while laughing at danger.
You know what they say about laughing last...

The saddest part in all this is that no-one is really surprised Everest makes headlines before the hundreds of thousands of Nepal people affected who ware now dead, injured or homeless. But I guess it does not really surprise anyone.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
A friend did the Appalachian trail on his own, except for his sister in law and her husband joining him for 14 days at the end.
He said the experience was amazing, and the biggest challenge is willpower to keep going.

He was cast by Garmin for an ad later, here's the video if you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0wV2AgzoK0
It has one or two tiny glimpses into what he felt like during his trip. (Hint: not filmed on location bur somewhere in the Alps afaik)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Maybe this should just be re branded as the general outdoor thread. The stuff of goons worst nightmares

Not sure why you need death in there to make it a goons worst nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The guy seems pretty full of himself judging from his writing, a touch of the 'sperg is detectable and he seems to have a Holmes-complex. Other than that it was interesting.

• Locked thread