Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Post pics of dead people preferably with blog posts by them before they were dead about how they wanted to climb the mountain and then let's laugh at them for failing.

That's my favorite part about these threads.
I think we get a free pass on that one. You think we're over-critical of her now that she's dead, you should see the poo poo we slung before she died. That woman was not prepared to climb Everest.

The 2013 fight between sherpas and Euli Steck + company was a major disappointment to me. If there is anything I would like to see on Everest, it's more alpinist-style climbers going up there without fixed lines alongside a team of sherpas in some high altitude traffic jam. And then some famous alpinist climbers set out to do just that and got attacked by sherpas because they had to cross over a line the sherpas were fixing and allegedly knocked ice down on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
The way they stay tactful and maintain a tone of respect just makes the whole trainwreck-in-motion more damning as it reaches the conclusion.

These threads got me to read several books and watch more mountaineering documentaries than I can recall. Did I ever post about my brief stint? I was considering climbing Mt. Whitney and trying to get in shape for that. For Whitney I'd have to start at 7,000 ft and climb 7,000 ft elevation in a day. (Ultimately, I never got in good enough condition to make an attempt.) I made a habit of hiking up a nearby 2,000 ft mountain. Not much of a mountain, I know, but I'd go down to the beach first so I could at least start at literal sea-level. I needed to see how I could fare at higher elevations so I took a trip. I started in the grand tetons doing half-day hikes starting at I think 6,000 ft elevation. I'm sure some of you live at higher altitudes than that, but I was coming from sea-level and wanted to give myself room to acclimate. I didn't have much difficulty.

Next I went to yellowstone and did 2 all-day hikes both around 7,000 ft. Finally I went for Mt. Washburn (10,000 ft) and that completely floored me. I ran out of breath in no time at all, then just couldn't catch my breath again.

I really pushed myself but I reached a point where every few steps up was a struggle. My legs weren't particularly tired but my lungs were having no more, I hit a wall around 500 ft from the summit and couldn't go on. I'd stopped to take breathers before but this one was it for me, the last 500 ft was 500 ft I didn't have in me. Then a gorgeous girl in short shorts powered her way by me and shot me a smile.

She was just leaving when I reached the summit but at least I got to talk to her. :shobon: Finally, I went to glacier national which was by far the most beautiful location.

A little scary at times as well.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Fonzarelli posted:

if Everest is an overhyped bitch mountain full of trash, what is an actual cool mountain to climb?
We've been over this, K2. Or annapurna. The kind of mountains where entire climbing teams vanish in avalanches and serac falls. Warranted that happened in Everest recently, but for K2 or annapurna those are regular occurrences.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Rondette posted:

The Mountaineers book has some excellent old photos in it which I will share with you , I won't dump them all in this post but try and have some sort of theme for each set. We'll start with Badasses from history-
Oh god, I ordered that online 2 years ago thinking it would be a book-book and instead it was a coffee table book. I felt like a kindergartener trying to read it, never finished.

My favorite book of all those recommended in these threads has to be Into the Silence. The first half is one the best books I've ever read, an amazing read that takes you into the politics of early mountaineering, the mystic religions encountered, and the conflicts that unfolded therein. The 2nd half of the book is poo poo no one needs to know about Mallory, speculated details of Mallory's personal life (just how many men DID he sleep with? which lover gave him what STD?) followed by even more wild speculation about his 'fateful ascent.'

• Locked thread