Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
Somebody should like make the ultimate sacrifice and carry a boat anchor up there and just die right on top of the summit thus spoiling the amusement park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Baumann posted:

That still doesn't really make sense in this case. Mallory did things that people thought were impossible while climbing. Why would it be out of his ability to do a climb like that?

What does the Mallory's pipe route look like? I assume it must be comparable to what Everest has.

Also, that's a pretty sudden jump in difficulty if 5.9 is doable and 5.10 is almost impossible.

The thing with sending a climbing route is you can either do it or you can't. It's not possible to "sort of" or climb a route. You have this at all route grades where the hardest route you can climb is possible but the next highest grade is not climbable. That said, 5.9 to 5.10 is pretty much the separation from something a reasonably fit person could do to something that takes skill and the right equipment. Climbing equipment and especially footwear, which is tremendously important, was totally poo poo by modern standards until like the 1980's.

Also 5.10 was the highest possible grade for awhile so some routes that were rated 5.10 a long time ago and haven't been reclassified might be called 5.10 but would actually be classified much higher today.

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

From the article: . At around 8,000 feet, our lungs stop adjusting to the thin air, and you almost permanently feel out of breath.

Everyone walking around Aspen is just gasping like a fish. This is why no one in Colorado is fit.

That's kind of disingenuous though. Your entire cardiovascular system adjusts for the altitude. Your heart figures out it needs to work harder and gets stronger and more efficient. That's why it takes weeks to really acclimatize to very high altitude.

edit: maybe you were being facetious.

old-timey newspaper gal fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 15, 2015

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

A Spider Covets posted:

i think everest is really, really interesting, as well as cave diving and such, just from the perspective of reading about something i'd never do; i mountain ski but that's about as close as i get, and i hate caves

what i dont understand though is that if so many people have already climbed and conquered this mountain (to the point where there are legit issues with trash and lines) why is there still such congestion? you'd think the folks who are after the status of it all would be looking at k2 with hungry eyes, given its notorious reputation. have the amounts of people going to everest only increased over the past 10 years or so? seeing the rates of attempts on each of the eight-thousanders compared against each other would be cool

Yea its only exploded in the last 20 years or so, but still was pretty popular compared to other 8000'ers. People go there because its EVEREST and has a comparatively huge tourist infrastructure built around it. If most of these people went to K2 without that they would just die right away. Also your rich colleagues won't understand how amazing you are if you tell them you climbed Shishapangma.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Necros posted:

im sure all the people who are regulars itt already know, but this guy owns and pretty much runs up mountains that kill nearly half the people who make it to the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gVkWlr_Yog

It would've been kinda awesome if Ueli had been on Everest this year instead of last because he would've done some sick 360 noscope summit already and then come back down with supplies from china. Ueli is my hero.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Cubey posted:

if anything it'd make it worse, as if you get buried by snow you might be able to dig yourself out if it isn't thickly packed but if you get buried in snow inside a tent you'll suffocate really goddamn fast.

Not any faster than being buried in equivalent snow while not in a tent. Suffocation from snow on tents is usually a result of people being asleep when it happens, and thus not awake to realize their tent has become a tomb. If anything the structure of a 4-season tent would make it easier to create an air pocket. Anyone even slightly competent in hiking/backpacking carries a knife so getting out of the tent should not be a major problem. Therefore, most of the people at EBC would've been totally screwed.

Geoj posted:

Get a better tent. I did a decent amount of camping (including some that wasn't "put a tent up 20 feet away from your parked car") while I was a teenager and spent the night in a tent in some nasty weather far away from civilization. Yeah, it's not the most pleasant experience but I stayed warm and dry.

Yep, and learn where to pitch it. Hiking in Patagonia we were making jokes about some inexperienced dudes pitching their tent in a nice cozy depression between some trees, with their fly guyed to a single branch because they didn't quite get how to use guy-lines. We got a torrential downpour that night and they had 3 standing inches of water inside their tent in the morning.

old-timey newspaper gal fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 27, 2015

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
Sure, all I said was that you would not suffocate faster being buried in an equivalent amount of snow inside of a tent vs outside of a tent. I did not say that everyone should seek refuge in a tent in an avalanche.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

OMGVBFLOL posted:

tehy sould have carried a knife collection like aney halveway competitent mountaineer!! the ydonte know nothing about a real tents

Nah just 1 that is also lightweight multiple knives are not worth the packweight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

OMGVBFLOL posted:

when i waes camping in patagonia, teh store manager came & say "get out of the tents, u cants sleep hear, i am callinge mall security" disaseter can strike anywhere, it s a good thing i hade my trsuty guye wires

Patagonia doesn't make tents and they don't have any stores that are in shopping malls. The whole fyad thing was pretty funny otherwise though.

• Locked thread